By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Source of 2 inch balls for water pump
08/04/2021 16:11:24

Andrew,

Would squash balls be the right sort of size, they are certainly somewhat softer than snooker balls>

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 08/04/2021 16:11:38

Thread: Horizontal Bandsaw Problems - -Advice Please.
07/04/2021 10:53:04

Nigel,

I cured my Axminster 6 x 4 bandsaw of equally bad habits by going back to basics and aligning the blade guides against a tensioned wire. The wire was snugged fully into the right angle of the flange on both top and bottom wheels. However, before I was able to set things up that way, the blade guide blocks were clamped up crudely on as cast surfaces so these had to be milled flat and at right angles.

On my machine the blade runs between sealed ball bearings on either side of the blade and one running on the back of the blade. The work which had the greatest influence on blade life and truth in a cut was getting the geometry right against the tensioned wire.

It now cuts correctly on demand and with a bi-metal blade in place [10 tpi for most work, 14 for pipe] the blade life is excellent. Prior to this work blade life might have degenerated to one blade for each job..

Brian

Thread: Milling machine thoughts?
06/04/2021 17:12:39

Hello Dave,

A good tip for tramming the mill head I was given years ago is to mount a lathe faceplate on the nose of the mill and bring it down flat onto the table, where it can be held under some quill loading while things are clamped up again.

Your quill wont reach that far? No problem if you have a cube or similar bolting fixture as I have, or even two angle plates bolted together to make up the essential shape if you don't have one of those.. It takes minutes.

David Wilkes of many videos trams his Bridgeport by simply using the flat face of an end mill holder brought down into contact in the same way. Being a professional where time really is money to him it is a quick and effective solution he can use in the middle of a job during the course of his work

Regards Brian

Thread: BSW
05/04/2021 08:53:14

Julian,

You have a PM waiting for you

Brian

Thread: slipping eccentrics?
04/04/2021 18:14:14

Terry,

I don't know the design in this case but is it not possible to drill radially down the eccentric and shaft and pin them together with a silver steel pin? That's what I had in mind.

Regards

Brian

Thread: strange 240v pump 'switching'
04/04/2021 12:49:37

I also have one of these submerged pumps and from time to time it stops running, but without restarting. I traced that fault to a badly worn shaft the ferrite impellor runs upon, it was actually grabbing the sides of the tunnel it runs in.

It is now on it's third such shaft, stainless steel versions last about 3 years and eventually wear paper thin at one end. We think it is frog poo in the little pond it lives in that does the damage.

Perhaps Tony's pump is showing early signs of the same malaise.

Brian

Thread: Warco 712 Bandsaw
04/04/2021 11:08:09

Hello Howard,

I can see all the well intentioned reasons why people should respond to Richard's request for views in the way that they have, but I couldn't help feeling that the overall flavour coming over was that we all knew better than him and he should get his Axminster machine to do what it should rather than just dump it.

One such comment was especially close to the bone in my view by even suggesting he might perhaps sell it on to an unsuspecting buyer

He will have his reasons for wanting to make the change and we are entirely wrong to question them, whatever we may personally think.

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 04/04/2021 11:09:59

04/04/2021 10:36:42

Maybe I shall get a lot of flak for my thoughts on this thread but isn't it just a bit presumptuous of us to be questioning the OP's reasons behind his request?

He wanted feedback from those with experience of use of a Warco 712 bandsaw, not a barrage of reasons why he shouldn't be thinking of spending his money buying one.

Taking cover now

Brian

Thread: slipping eccentrics?
04/04/2021 10:16:18

Hello Terry,

Better still, pin them together.

Brian

Thread: BSW
02/04/2021 18:36:29

Hello Julian,

If I am correct in that your lathe has a 1.5 mm pitch leadscrew, the following gear train will cut an 11 tpi thread for you

80 teeth on the spindle----driving a 40T wheel coupled to a 50T wheel as a pair----which in turn drives a 65T wheel on the leadscrew

I hope that helps you

Regards Brian

Thread: Think you have trouble losing your chuck key?
01/04/2021 12:59:53

Hello William,

What a cracking piece of work. Please add me to the list of those who would like to know how you went about the tricky bits involved. It's a little sweetie.

Brian

Thread: Can Loctite 638 really be this good?
01/04/2021 12:49:35

Hello Robin,

I should apologise to you really, I made the classic mistake of not reading the question fully and then answering what I imagined it said ! I wish you well in whatever route you chose to follow and will be interested in the outcome.

Best wishes

Brian

31/03/2021 18:50:19

Hello Michael,

Indeed you are correct in which case I stand duly chasticed and toppled from my soap box. Mea culpa!

It shows the power of the picture to divert one from the description.

Regards Brian

31/03/2021 18:35:50

Howard,

This is all very interesting but what is being considered in this thread is no more than a butt joint of badly corroded

2 mm wall section material straight onto 6 mm plate. This item is a clay extruder and we are given no guidance at all on what pressures this device creates as it is extruding.

I stand by my recommendation having just had to fit securing pins down the glued joint faces of helical reduction gears on their spigots in the gearbox on my Dore-Westbury mill.. One had failed in shear after nearly 30 years of service from build

OK, a long time maybe, but avoidable and certainly inconvenient when it happened. Had I been more experienced when I built it I would have reinforced the joints at the time. As good as Loctite is, I really can't believe a joint of that sort would hold together with any serious pressure behind it.

Regards

Brian

31/03/2021 09:27:14

I think the proper way of fixing the plate is to braze on a fairly thick walled flange to the cylinder, it could be bent up from 25 mm angle iron, and then bolt the new plate to the face of that. I really don't think Loctite would hold it.

Brian

Thread: Excellent Chinese Chuck
29/03/2021 10:16:40

Thank you Ketan for that detailed overview. You will be ideally placed to make properly evaluated comparisons and you have reinforced my own views on Chinese supply. They can and will supply to whatever the customer asks for but to not one penny more as the saying goes.

If their customer can absorb rubbish, then that is what will be supplied.

I have a German friend, now retired who worked for a well known European earth moving and excavator company which sourced many of their manufactured parts from China. The quality spec. was met to the letter when the work was supervised by his company resident engineers, but if that was broken by absence for any reason, standards slipped to the point where automatic scrapping was called for by his company of everything made in the interval.

It does seem to be a very alien concept to me to be able to deliberately produce sub-standard work like that.

Regards Brian

Thread: Little nuts.......big fingers.
28/03/2021 20:14:28

I would find a young child and use that

Brian

Thread: Excellent Chinese Chuck
28/03/2021 14:00:58

Thank you John, Dave and Bob for your informative replies, I am still astounded that decent chucks can be supplied at those prices. Chris Crew who started this post bought his chuck for £108 of which £18 was for delivery.

Bear in mind this was for a four jaw self centreing chuck of 8 inch diameter and like him I asked myself how could it be made and distributed at that sort of cost. Just buying an 8 inch lump of cast iron of a size sufficient to make it would set me back about the same without even making a hole in it .

I am all chucked out for the time being but I will remember this information when I come to buy a new chuck

Interesting times indeed as Dave observed

Brian

28/03/2021 10:16:23

Before I duck down and take cover below the parapet, could any of you gentlemen who are satisfied with these chucks and praise them for quality and finish tell me if the jaws are hardened or not.

Being a sceptic, I find it hard to believe they are.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Covid 19 and the DVLA
24/03/2021 12:08:31

Hello again Windy,

Thank you for the added background information but as I said earlier, the only legal requirement is the number plate test and as you say you can pass that, I suggest you wait for the DVLA to catch up with their own convoluted system and get in touch with you in their own sweet time.

Best of luck

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest