By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boxford metric lead screw fitted to imperial lathe?
27/10/2019 18:37:09

Cupboard,

You have the right idea, but what DC31k has omitted to say is that the driver on the spindle (after the reversing gears) will be 20T and the gearbox entry spindle needs a 56T gear in all cases.The change gears are fitted in the chain linking those two.

Sadly, and I hate to have to point it out, but there is one error in his table in the listing for 1.75 mm pitch. The change gear ratio should read 7/8, which could be 35/40 as you have interpreted the ratio.

As listed, you will get a pitch of 1.1427 mm. Otherwise, all is well

Kind regards

Brian

Thread: Packed Boring Bars
24/10/2019 10:52:40

ega,

I saw only coolant pouring out of the chuck, not chips. I did also wonder if the timber " cushion" was being shaped by the cut edge of the hole being bored as the bar was powered down into the hole. They were described as sacrificial so I assume new ones, roughly shaped, were fitted for each tube being bored.

Clearly the lathe in use had a long bed; it was rather frustrating not to get a view of the holding arrangement on the saddle end of the boring bar. The process did leave a nice looking finish ready for honing to size.

Thank you Clive for the link, it was interesting and a process I have not seen before

Regards Brian

Thread: Manual machinist, local to the North East required.
15/10/2019 08:49:29

Neil,

I've sent you a PM (personal message) Look for a flashing inbox symbol top left on this page to read it

Regards

Brian

Thread: What grade
14/10/2019 15:55:12

Harry,

Why not try a clear varnish after polishing? Rustins made a good one that works well and would save you the effort of making new caps.

I agree with you that gold plating might look too bright; it does dull slightly with aging but the process is slow.

Regards

Brian

Edited for punctuation.

Edited By Brian Wood on 14/10/2019 15:56:04

Thread: Grafton Drill Press Rebuild
13/10/2019 18:18:39

Hello Phil,

Yes, 12 DP and 14.5 degree Pressure Angle.

Woody

Thread: Can you help identify this Myford Lathe
13/10/2019 14:02:58

Georgineer,

Thank you for the correction and the much more helpful identity list you posted. I think the earlier ML1 and 2 models had 7/8 inch x 9tpi nose threads.

Regards

Brian

Thread: An interesting repair to an Hour Wheel
13/10/2019 13:56:17

Not pretty but quick and very practical.

John Stevenson would have certainly have approved, it is clearly in bodger's territory and presumably it still works as intended.

Brian

Thread: Built-up edge
13/10/2019 13:49:15

Gerry,

It should push off with a screwdriver blade. Refit it to the holder to secure it and then push from under from the bunched up material shown in your second picture to shove it off into fresh air.

Trying cutting aluminium with some paraffin lubrication in future, that should prevent another such accumulation.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Grafton Drill Press Rebuild
13/10/2019 10:43:36

Another nice piece of work Phil.

Woody

Thread: Solenoid Boxer 4
10/10/2019 11:12:50

That was fun Michael, thank you for pointing it out

Brian

Thread: Cast iron cabinet theft
10/10/2019 11:09:45

David,

The bin vanished whilst waiting for collection. I have known lids to be ripped off by the bin truck, ours was picked up by someone wanting a bin, contents not important.

Even the Council men bringing us a new one thought that this was a variation to a common theme.

Brian

10/10/2019 10:42:16

Ian,

I know it is a fact of life these days, but leaving stuff outside knowing it will disappear is surely just encouraging this kind of theft? We have left surplus tomatoes out for people to help themselves to, but they get ignored!

On a side note, we lost our black wheelie bin some months ago, complete with it's contents. That did seem rather bizarre; I would have expected the rubbish to be tipped on our driveway or in the hedge at the side; it had all gone.

Brian

Thread: What motor pulley size for ML1 Lathe?
10/10/2019 09:38:12

Hello Chris,

I feel sure I am correct in saying that Myford change wheels have always been 20 DP and 14.5 degree pressure angle, with or without the link pin hole that was a feature of the earlier change wheels. That was replaced by the stronger 1/8 inch keyway on the ML 7.

The later design can still be used of course but you will have to drill the link pin hole. Before I parted with my late father's ML 4 I had made a simple drilling jig located from the bore of the gear to get the pin hole in the right place, it went with the lathe to the new owner.

20 DP gears will not mesh with pitches other than 20 DP; changes in pressure angle [ for example 14.5 and 20 degrees, the more modern angle in use] also affect the meshing but for low speed and infrequent use, whilst not being good practice can be tolerated.

Regards Brian

Thread: Can you help identify this Myford Lathe
07/10/2019 14:07:27

Hello Stan,

It is rather hard to be sure with sideways and upside down pictures to work on, but it is either an ML1 or ML2 or it could be the later ML4 The ML 3 was a capstan lathe I believe, it isn't that model..

Does it have tumbler reverse? If so that makes it more likely to be an ML4 Other clues can be had from the spindle nose and chuck mounting thread.

ML 4 is almost certainly 1.125 inch x 12 tpi and with a #2 Morse taper centre. The earlier 1's and 2's were more probably 5/8 inch and 9 tpi combined with a centre taper hole of 1 Morse taper but yours may have been upgraded so that form of identity isn't really reliable.

I hope that helps

Brian

Thread: rebuild and repairs on my Covmac Lathe.
06/10/2019 18:29:28

I enjoyed that Phil, thank you for the story

Woody

Thread: What motor pulley size for ML1 Lathe?
04/10/2019 13:05:10

Hello Chris,

I'll try to answer your question on pulley size

You need to work back from the maximum spindle rpm, which on a lathe of that vintage with white metal bearings would have been about 600 rpm. Measure the diameters of the two stepped pulleys on countershaft and spindle that would be used for that spindle speed and call them D1 and D2 respectively.

Call the motor pulley diameter 'x', the countershaft pulley is known at 8 inches

Now we can express everything as a calculation where x = (600 x 8), multiplied by D2/D1, all divided by 1425

You should finish up with a motor pulley diameter in the region of about 1 inch or so, assuming a step up ratio D1/D2 of something like 3:1

Don't forget to include a degree of crowning on you motor pulley when you make it to keep the flat belt running in the centre.

Finally, brass will be satisfactory ( I assume you already have a chunk) but cast iron is the more traditional material

Regards

Brian

Thread: Colchester Bantam Mk1
04/10/2019 09:35:27

Hello Mark,

Welcome to weeks, perhaps months of absorbing research and satisfying overhaul in getting your new toy back into service in your workshop. It is a journey you will enjoy!

My first point of reference would be the splendid archive that Tony Griffiths has created on all manner of machine tools, it really is a gold mine and it covers the Colchester range of lathes pretty thoroughly.

www.lathes.co.uk          when you get there go to the archive

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 04/10/2019 09:35:43

Edited By Brian Wood on 04/10/2019 09:36:25

Thread: Dore Westbury Milling Machine
02/10/2019 09:51:14

I built my D-W Mk II well over 25 years ago. I don't remember there being any guidance on the recommended grade of oil in the gearbox so I used SAE 30 oil which has worked perfectly satisfactorily over that time. There wasn't any heavy grease supplied in my case.

I have not been aware of excessive gearbox noise when I use the gearbox, it is just what one might expect but I put that down to helical gears being supplied in the kit sent to me; they are inherently quieter than spur gearing.

Regards Brian

Thread: Thread Cutting on Myford Super 7
01/10/2019 09:31:21

Tom,

Just to add a bit of detail to Martin's posts. The gear on stud A is a tandem 19/57 tooth compound if that helps you recognise it and as he says, it is reversed on that stud to give fine feeds for normal machining...

24 tpi is a standard pitch that the gearbox can provide, the middle choice of the set 12/24/48 tpi , just follow the picture on the gearbox plate and set it accordingly.

Regards Brian

Thread: Myford ML10 spindle crank trouble
30/09/2019 09:37:57

There could still be a problem with the space needed to get a pukka translation gear of 127 teeth in place on the leadscrew, it is only a shade under 6.5 inches in diameter.

Brian.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowells
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest