By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boxford newbie
27/03/2022 18:16:51

There is a very close approximation to 127/100 and that is 63/80 [source Southbend] if you have the gears, Another is 47/37 which is not quite as close but it was used by Hardinge so it has a decent pedigree.

Brian

Thread: kerry super 8 problem
27/03/2022 10:20:54

Alan,

Take a look at the belt grooves in both pulleys. I've had this problem on an aluminium 4 step lathe spindle pulley and with a good light and a wedge shaped gauge you might find the sheaves are worn to a J profile, allowing the belt to run on the narrow section at the bottom.

Without a load all appears to be normal but belt slip is very apparent as load increases, to the point where stall takes place.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Odd WM18 Issue?
25/03/2022 12:41:49

Hello S.O.D. and Martin King,

Since tramming seems to be such a problem, why not try the method I have used for years?.

Mount a lathe faceplate [or catch plate] on the quill nose and pull that down into hard contact with the table. Bolt everything up while maintaining the contact. Job done.

A big advantage is that both axes can be set at the same time and there is no need to peer at dial indicators from the rear.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Bevel Gear Replacement for Astra L2/L4 Mill - any ideas?
22/03/2022 10:32:59

Metal gear John, the information is in the original post. #

That is why I suggested a metal replacement. Looking at the lathes.co website at the Astra models, the only place I think a bevel gear might be used is for the knee operating leadscrew---in which case I seriously question the combination of the gear pair chosen

Regards   Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 22/03/2022 10:40:37

22/03/2022 09:21:06

Hello Brian,

I think your best bet, unless someone here is willing and capable of stepping in, is to contact HPC Gears in Chesterfield to arrange to have it copied in metal while there is still enough of it left for measurement and identification..

It won't be cheap but they do a nice job. Phone 01246 268080

Regards Brian

Thread: Pressurised vs loft tank CH systems?
21/03/2022 09:41:24

It is interesting that no-one has mentioned the added complications of including solar heated hot water supply into the discussion. It almost inevitably requires a twin coil heat exchanger, one for regular boiler supply, the other for solar input which has it's own pressurised system treated with propylene glycol to lower the freezing point of the circulating fluid.

We installed a Navitron 20 tube system, rated at 1 Kw, which was commissioned in June 2010. Since then it has supplied 13400 kwhours of water heating and saved about £600 overall on the gas bill. One tube lost vacuum about 2 years after installation, I had spares to hand and to change it was about 20 minutes work while the rest of the panel was still working.

It is not just a summer working system, there is still solar energy of value in the winter months which saves the boiler some of the grunt work.

Brian

Thread: Sharp mk2 by Town Bent Engineering
18/03/2022 19:57:02

Hello Roger,

Here's another method I favour to tram a vertical head mill.

You do need a lathe faceplate, or the catch plate that you can mount on the nose. Lower the quill to make the faceplate contact the table and you should then be able to check the tram in two directions at once without the difficulties of peering round the back of the DTI.

Can't reach the table? Bolt two angle plates together so that the upper one forms a 'roof' rather like a bus shelter

Quick and easy and I think a great deal better than the devices that hold two DTIs on the ends of a beam

Regards Brian

Thread: Hi from Essex
18/03/2022 14:59:57

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you will find something to catch your imagination

Brian

Thread: Clunky broach
12/03/2022 16:22:42

Robin,

Are you trying to cut the keyway in one pass in a guide that is machined to the combined finished depth of the broach and keyway you are trying to cut?

The guide depth should be deeper so that the broach can cut a keyway to part depth, then a slip is inserted behind the broach to allow the broach a second pass and cut deeper and a second slip put in behind the broach to complete the cut to depth. There are guides on how it should be done and forcing it through hydraulically could even fracture the broach..

Done in stages as I have outlined, the teeth on the broach are able to shave the keyway to depth progressively without loading them too highly

Regards Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 12/03/2022 16:25:08

Thread: Myford Lubrication Oil
12/03/2022 08:38:23

Hello Morgan,

My gearbox has enjoyed SAE 30 oil for years and is still in pristine condition. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Regards Brian

Thread: At my wits end trying to remove pulley
11/03/2022 09:39:29

Is it the locking tab that's holding it on?

If so a photo or two may spark some ideas.

Brian

Thread: Bought Magnetic lamp
09/03/2022 16:10:49

I might add by asking if the product you bought, now subsidised to the tune of £3.20, is satisfactory . I have to agree with Paul

Brian

Thread: Financial surnames
04/03/2022 20:06:36

Many years ago our Bank manager [remember them?!!] was called Lenderyou

Thread: At last : Some intelligent engineering to mitigate a climate problem
03/03/2022 10:56:00

More flood barriers in use along the Severn at Ironbridge only recently.

Tracking the sun for PV systems means moving large support frames, simply impractical on rooftop installations

Edited By Brian Wood on 03/03/2022 10:59:22

02/03/2022 10:29:10

An excellent idea, well spotted Michael.

Something we could exploit here in the UK is to install solar arrays on the roofs of industrial buildings rather than continue to cover productive land with solar farms. There must be square miles of those surfaces simply crying out for such use.

And for the Government to put some real money into developing the recently unveiled flexible solar sheeting to cover other surfaces. It may not be as efficient as rigid panels, but it should be cheap to produce and treat like a form of carpet once manufacture is geared up for it.

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/03/2022 10:33:43

Thread: I need to screw cut a 19 TPI thread.?
01/03/2022 09:18:18

Just to let everyone know, Mike has sent for a 38T gear which is what he really needs.

Thank you all for your various inputs.

Regards Brian

28/02/2022 14:22:51

David,

Your practical result nicely confirms my calculated figures, thank you.

There is an alternative set up Mike could try, it still needs a 38 tooth wheel.

This set up is 38-----idler------56 on gearbox input. Gearbox set to 36 tpi. The lathe will now cut 18.95 tpi, not quite as precise as the previous version but probably quite good enough in practice.

Regards Brian

Thread: Precision ground flat stones in UK?
28/02/2022 10:53:51

You can make your own from readily available stones. You need three of them and some fine sand made into a paste.

Lap 1 and 2 together, then 2 and 3 and finally 3 and 1. Repeat the lapping sequence twice more, wash the stones thoroughly and you will have three precision lapped stones to use as you wish..

It is the same process that gave the world truly flat cast iron surface plates in the early days.

Regards

Brian

Thread: I need to screw cut a 19 TPI thread.?
27/02/2022 18:38:45

Mike,

You need, as others have pointed out, a 38 tooth wheel which will go on the leadscrew shaft instead of your 56T gear. The mandrel gear is 20T and with the gearbox set at 28 tpi that set up will cut a thread of 19tpi with an error of less than 0.001 tpi

The gearing set up is:- 20-----Idler------38 on leadscrew

Regards Brian

Thread: How can I cut a 0.75mm radius on a piece of soft rubber sheeting?
24/02/2022 08:26:11

Hello Donald,

An old trick is to freeze the rubber overnight and machine it while cold with very sharp tooling.

Regards Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest