By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford MF74A
02/06/2020 17:43:21

Dave,

What do you have at the moment?

There are other possibilities, for example an ML7 with gearbox will cut 3.5 mm pitch threads with a 33 tooth gear in place of the standard 24 tooth driver, when matched with the gearbox set for 10 tpi

I think you may have a hard time finding the model you are seeking. 

Regards Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/06/2020 17:44:46

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/06/2020 17:45:10

Thread: Newbie trying to thread
02/06/2020 10:38:28

Hello Mark,

As David Colwill says above, withdrawn the tool so that any backlash in the gear train has no effect on the thread you are cutting.

For the next pass, put on a little more feed and take the next cut.

If you want to see the effects demonstrated convincingly, put a Sharpie marker in the tool holder instead and pretend you are using that to cut a thread, only this time do it as you described for your train crash. You will see the displacement that backlash introduces.

I hope that helps Brian

Thread: questions about setting up my Myford ML4
01/06/2020 14:00:05

Thank you Andrew for clearing that up at last, I am glad to hear your new chuck performs well without the need for a collar, another plus it seems for David Bennett's observations

Thank you Jon for the education, I had not until now appreciated Myford had included a 7/8 inch x 12tpi variant

Kind regards Brian

01/06/2020 10:15:05

I have just trawled through this posting-----I can't find any reference to the actual nose details on Andrew's lathe.

I have assumed it has a thread size of 1.125 inch x12 tpi but reading Howard's entry where he describes his adapter for the 7/8 x 9tpi version that the ML1 and ML2 lathes were fitted with has raised doubt.

Could Andrew provide the detail please? There is a lot of difference between making a simple sleeve from an section of suitable pipe to a rather more elaborate fitting as Howard described.

Regards Brian

Thread: Braze Welding Gear Tooth Repair
01/06/2020 09:04:14

I have done inserted teeth repairs on both cast iron and steel gears using oxy-acetylene for SIF_Bronze brazing. The same method has been used to repair other cracked cast iron components..

You do need a high temperature locally to melt the braze for the process to be successful, I am not sure propane torches alone would raise the joint temperature enough for the braze to flow.

Brian

Thread: Hello from West Sussex, looking for ID for my first lathe
31/05/2020 10:16:32

Hello James,

I don't think this is an early Myford, but I am willing to be proved wrong! We'll see what others think.

Kind regards and welcome aboard

Brian

31/05/2020 10:09:42

Hello Andrew,

When you come to fit your new chuck, and just out of interest, try applying David Bennett's recently reported findings on the actual value of the horizontal register.

As long as the vertical register is true and the nose thread reasonably sound, he and others have found that this combination works perfectly satisfactorily.

If it 'offends' you to ignore the horizontal register, at least the new chuck will hold things satisfactorily for you to make a collar as I described earlier. When I did the modification, I recall using a piece of old water pipe as stock material rather than making it from solid

Kind regards Brian

Thread: Workshop Gloves
30/05/2020 09:20:11

Hello Dr.

I can recommend Nitropalm gloves.

These are nitrile coated in the palm and fingers, thin enough to allow decent dexterity while at the same time giving a good grip in workshop use, with a woven cotton back and elasticated wrist.

They are comfortable wearing and make working on cold materials and machines in the winter rather more pleasant as an added bonus

Central Sales Marketing, Unit 1, Shaw Lane Industrial Estate, Stoke Prior, BROMSGROVE B60 4ED

Phone 01527 832092 Web:- centralsalesgloves,co.uk Email:- csmglove@aol.com

Regards Brian

Thread: What size lathe would I need ?
28/05/2020 10:15:47

Martin,

I was trying to read ahead a bit and anticipate the series of questions that might follow on in the light of Nathan being a beginner at this kind of work, should he decide to attempt to take it on, while at the same time giving him a straight answer to his question.

I'm not sure that a sketch will help matters a lot for him other than "how do I make 4 of these?".

I don't think I would have the strength now to hump a length of 6 inch bar into a big lathe chuck without standing on the lathe bed to do it safely and comfortably.

Brian

28/05/2020 09:33:38

Hello Andrew,

It might just be a little cheaper than golf as a hobby, but once the bug has bitten, the interest expands along with the expense!

I would warrant it more rewarding in the long run though.

Regards Brian

Thread: What size lathe would I need ?
28/05/2020 09:26:45

Hello Natham,

Welcome to the Forum.

You are likely to need something pretty substantial, a lathe having at least a six inch clearance over the bed [12 inch swing in North American parlance] is the sort of thing I am talking about, together with chucks big enough to safely hold billets of that diameter. This puts the job firmly into the category of heavy industrial sized machinery.

It will also need a hefty motor, say 5-8 HP, to cope with the bulk of metal shifting that will be needed, along with flood cooling to help with the machining. This is NOT a job for small machines.

Without trying to dampen your enthusiasm in any way, and in the light of your stated lack of experience, would it be more cost effective for you to put the work out to a local organisation having the machinery to handle it and prepared to take on one offs of this kind?

Regards Brian

27/05/2020 17:37:18

Sorry Andrew, I really don't know; I have no longer got my Dad's old ML4 to measure.

If you have thread gauges it will not be difficult to check. One thing I can be sure of, it will not be metric!

Kind regards Brian

27/05/2020 08:27:29

Hello Andrew,

If you have some Scotchbrite pad you could ease the bore of the bullwheel with it, being careful to avoid bell mouthing it when you do so. It was made to a nominal 1 inch bore diameter but it could be a few tenths less which would make it tight.

Alternatively, try warming it with a hair dryer before you fit it

Kind regards Brian

Thread: Hi from Woking
24/05/2020 16:33:24

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the Forum. I don't know your L5A lathe nor that particular model of vertical mill but you do seem to be well equipped.

I'm sure I am not alone in saying it will be interesting to hear of your progress.

Regards Brian

Thread: Myford ML4 half nuts
22/05/2020 17:55:36

Hello Jon,

Nice to be trusted, thank you. The most you are going to lose will only be an M 6 washer, as long as you have a proper grip on whatever the turning fixture is made from.

Not a lot to risk in my book!!

I would be interested to hear how it went

Regards Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 22/05/2020 17:56:06

22/05/2020 14:12:01

Jon,

Make sure you allow a good cure time, these adhesives are stronger than you perhaps imagine.

Don't go hard at it though, you don't want it to heat up on machining, that will break the bond prematurely

Brian

22/05/2020 12:59:51

Hello Jon,

As I remember them, the half nut studs were threaded at the point of attachment and left in plain shaft diameter to engage with the slots in the operating lever. On my Dad's old lathe, there was a screwdriver slot across the end of the stud to help screwing each into the half nuts. The studs were in nothing fancy, I imagine mild steel.

On your washer question.

May I suggest a short turned sacrificial stud that fits into the existing hole in the 6 mm washer, with a turned face at the rear to support the washer, Attach A to B with your favourite instant adhesive and when set open up the bore to 1/4 inch diameter

Kind regards Brian

Thread: Md-30 Milling Machine Pulley Cover
21/05/2020 09:07:13

Just a suggestion Jeremy.

If the Major mill is so similar, there may be a way ahead for you to "adjust" the pulley cover from that rather than fabricate your own; always assuming of course that you can acquire it as a s[pare part.

Regards Brian

Thread: Myford Super 7 (with gearbox) Leadscrew Removal
20/05/2020 09:22:00

Mike,

It is such an very obvious question but you are working on the 52 T gear aren't you?

As others have said, it should come off relatively easily, that then allows you access to remove the woodruff key and the leadscrew shaft is then free to to remove towards the tailstock.

Good luck with the overhaul, I don't have the apron you have so can't help with the bushes.

Kind regards Brian.

Thread: Bracknell - New Member
18/05/2020 17:53:30

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the Forum.

Sadly I can't help you with either the magazines, I am trying to slim the storage and I never got into Subuteo

There will be others interested I feel sure.

Regards Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 18/05/2020 17:53:54

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest