By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford ML4 leadscrew dials
10/06/2020 13:48:18

I'll let you into the secret Hopper, I use my calculator too!

Regards Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 10/06/2020 13:49:53

10/06/2020 11:34:00

Just to prove the point, 40 T on the mandrel and 50 on the leadscrew with idler(s) as necessary to link them will cut 10 tpi on any lathe with an 8 tpi leadscrew

Brian

10/06/2020 10:15:47

Hopper,

Just to to avoid the suggestion that the 'errors' are deliberate, the feedscrews for cross and top slide on these early Myford lathes were made as 12 tpi square form, the dials were given 80 divisions so tool movement was an approximation. Myford say in their handbook that it is probably 'good enough for most purposes'

Regards Brian

Edit I see that Jon got there first with the 12 tpi screws.

Edited By Brian Wood on 10/06/2020 10:16:56

Thread: Removing gunge
10/06/2020 08:12:35

Hello Gary,

Try soaking in acetone and /or cellulose paint thinners. They may be aggressive enough, perhaps in combination, to soften the plastic

Regards Brian

Thread: Just right for the holidays.
09/06/2020 14:07:32

And I am already too old to qualify

Brian  [Another]

Edited By Brian Wood on 09/06/2020 14:07:56

Thread: A red face and a bottlejack
08/06/2020 16:36:11

It probably doesn't need stripping at all, but if you do so take care that spring loaded balls do not leap out of sight, You may also need some odd sizes of O rings before you rebuild it. Just undoing the big nut at the bottom of the ram cylinder will be be a challenge. I seem to remember the bottom plate allows a way in too.

I would leave it alone and tolerate the cost of topping it up

Best of luck Brian

Thread: Smart and Brown Sabel
08/06/2020 09:15:59

Hello Jim

Gloss finish is I think the way to go, it wipes clean and does not hold dirt in the same way as a matt finish that begins to look grubby almost immediately I am familiar with Tractol paint, it is good hard wearing stuff that has to endure agricultural demands.

The internal parts on my Sabel are just in red oxide primer, nothing fancy. I don't think that detracts from the outer and visible finish which is 'silver' paint that I was told, when I bought the lathe, was a commercial paint that is used on elevators. It is certainly durable

Regards Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 08/06/2020 09:18:16 for punctuation and a better layout.

Edited By Brian Wood on 08/06/2020 09:38:29

07/06/2020 20:19:56

I thought the blue looked rather well, but I am not there in your shop, it might be quite different in the flesh.

Regards Brian

Thread: Dore-Westbury info?
06/06/2020 10:46:25

Hello Bill,

I have fitted Newall scales to both table axes on my D-W Mk II.

I didn't record any of the details of the installation at the time, but I don't recall any difficulties, it was over 10 years ago now, but I am happy to try and get some pictures to send you.

I can't for some tedious reason attach stuff like that to correspondence on the Forum any more, there is some compatibility problem I have neither the time nor patience to resolve, but I can send to your email address of course if you think those might be helpful

Regards Brian

email address wood_y(at)btinternet(dot)com

Thread: North West UK Newbie
06/06/2020 10:12:27

Hello Mick,

Welcome to the Forum.

There will be no shortage of help for you here. I am not into models as machine tools are my interest, but there are plenty who will be happy to answer your questions.

Regards Brian

Thread: Machine moving
06/06/2020 10:00:40

Steve delivered an old Churchill Cub Mk III lathe to me in the Thirsk area last year, having collected it from a farm location halfway down a hillside on Saddleworth Moor near Halifax.

I too was impressed with the care he took over the whole job and in my case he was able to deliver about 600 kg deadweight right into my workshop, reaching through under the frame of the doors using the full capabilities of the hydraulic arm.

Brian

Thread: Morrisflex Sander on an Atlas MF Mill ?
06/06/2020 09:46:08

IanT,

Morrisflex sytems were also used for fettling work to clean up forged parts in some 'exotic' materials for the nuclear industry, using small carbide burrs in the chuck rather than sanding discs. Used like that they quickly removed blemishes, creases and other undesirable features in readiness for the next steps in the production process.

I saved a few burrs from those days, but without a suitable high speed drive and handling equipment they are just artifacts that I can't use

Brian

Thread: stuck chuck again
05/06/2020 14:54:48

Hello Philip,

Avoid the gasket, it could well throw the chuck alignment out. Those faces need to be in intimate contact to ensure true running, the gasket will introduce error from variable thickness in the rolling if it is present

Regards Brian

PS. You would never have been able to grip the bare spindle well enough without causing damage to it to overcome the tight fit. On a different lathe [ Smart and Brown Sable] I was forced to try that method on a hardening spindle using shaped wooden blocks as a pair of vice jaws. It just laughed at those and I had to turn off the backplate in the end 

Edited By Brian Wood on 05/06/2020 15:00:15

Thread: Jonathan from Yorkshire
05/06/2020 09:02:29

Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you will find much of interest.

Regards Brian

Thread: Myford MF74A
04/06/2020 14:03:52

Jon,

Do I detect a demand for it? If so "Hey Presto", it is already published and waiting, how's that for anticipation!!

Regards Brian

Thread: Run capacitor value .Bench grinder
04/06/2020 13:55:31

Gerald,

I don't think you will do any harm to the motor by going for the 4 uF version, the values are not that precise anyway and often have a wide tolerance.

Better that direction than going too small.

Regards Brian

Thread: Smart and Brown Sabel
03/06/2020 16:32:07

I also own one of these nice lathes Jim, mine didn't have the cabinet so it is mounted on the bench.

I shall follow your story with interest

Regards Brian

Thread: Myford MF74A
03/06/2020 11:29:11

Maybe I should Hopper!

I just like dabbling with such calculations and sometimes a delightfully simple arrangement emerges, which in this case is plenty accurate enough for most purposes.

Brian

03/06/2020 10:34:39

There is an even easier and simpler set up

55 Driver------50 driven on leadscrew with suitable idlers as necessary This gives a pitch of 3.493 mm

Regards Brian

Edit PS  This would work with any lathe having an 8 tpi leadscrew

Edited By Brian Wood on 03/06/2020 10:36:30

02/06/2020 17:43:21

Dave,

What do you have at the moment?

There are other possibilities, for example an ML7 with gearbox will cut 3.5 mm pitch threads with a 33 tooth gear in place of the standard 24 tooth driver, when matched with the gearbox set for 10 tpi

I think you may have a hard time finding the model you are seeking. 

Regards Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/06/2020 17:44:46

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/06/2020 17:45:10

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest