By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: An Ounce of Practice is worth a Ton of Theory .
09/02/2013 16:30:00

Some while ago I worked PT for a local firm of agricultural engineers. One of the team was a student from Leeds working towards a degree in engineering. He got his practical experience with our firm since the Health and Safety rules had closed workshops at the college.

Very early on in my time there he asked me to show him how to fit a hacksaw blade, to be more accurate, which way round it was fitted.

I later spent quite a lot of time showing him how to hand sharpen drills; I could understand that since it doesn't come easily, but to be close to qualifying as an engineer without the very first of basic practical understanding and knowledge worries me. He is proably directing jobs on site now.

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 09/02/2013 16:33:25

Thread: Marking out a cylinder
09/02/2013 09:03:22

Surely the easy way in a lathe is to use a tool at centre height and run it down the cylinder as a scriber?

This assumes of course there is clearance available for the carriage to clear the cylinder..

Brian

Thread: An Ounce of Practice is worth a Ton of Theory .
08/02/2013 10:58:06

I think Chris and Graham sum it all up properly. Another good reason for doing things that way is to prove a point or principle to others who don''t or can't grasp the concept and need to be won over.

Brian

Thread: Inherited Myford ML7 valuation
06/02/2013 12:03:55

Hello again Andy

I have a friend, Myford ML7 owner x2, living in Chandlers Ford Easteigh who might be prepared [if asked] to look it over. Is that close enough to you?

Brian

Thread: Greyson 3 1/2 Lathe
05/02/2013 17:49:57

Hello John,

I can't help you directly, but others might if you put some pictures on the post so that they can see for themselves, your description is confusing. They were made in fair numbers so someone should know.

Brian

Thread: Inherited Myford ML7 valuation
05/02/2013 13:54:34

A good suggestion Chris, but you run the risk of getting a dealer in who will want to have it for himself to sell on and make money from it

Select your valuer with care!

Brian

05/02/2013 11:57:14

Hello Andy,

You don't mention any chucks, nor could I spot any in the pictures. It looks to be in fair condition but most buyers will want to look it over throughly and check for play, wear etc.Does it run?

I think she should be able to get a price better than £500, certainly I wouldn't expect to get it for less. There also seems to be a vertical stand of some kind [for threading perhaps] and possibly other things you haven't shown, they could make up the package for a really hard-nosed haggler.

Try offering it at £750 to see how it goes and suggest that she plays hard to please with frowning and sucking her breath in through her teeth like the proverbial plumber/electrcian!

Brian

Thread: Inexpensive Chucks
04/02/2013 16:18:11

Hello Joseph,

It depends on how quickly you want to lay hands on it. I found a barely used Pratt 6 inch 4J self closing chuck, with both sets of jaws and chuck wrench, at Harrogate 3 years ago for less than you would pay for any you listed.

OK I had to refit the back plate when I got it home, it had been badly done, but Oh what a joy! Run out within 2 thou at 4 inches out from the jaws, British made and damned good.

It might pay you to be patent and haggle at the trade stalls.

Good hunting

Brian

Thread: Anecdote - 3
04/02/2013 09:39:34

Hello Michael,

Maybe our mine guide didn't go into detail of the technicalities of the hydraulic pit props, after all I am recalling a short visit from >40 years ago. I do remember he said that the props were constantly walked forward to support the working area around the coal face, the rock fall behind them was a controlled situation to fill in at the back of the slot being carved through the coal measure.

Now that you mention other rock movements, they did have to reshape the roadways as the work advanced and I also recall at Markham the biggest factor influencing that was actually heave in the road surface, trying to close the roadways from the bottom up. The level of geological heating down there was unexpected, there was hard frost above ground.

Not an industry I would have willingly worked in

Brian

03/02/2013 13:50:23

These stories of visits to mines remind me of a visit I made in the late 1960's to Markham Colliery near Mansfield. It is now closed and vanished below new development near Bolsover Castle alongside the M1

The abiding memory of that visit was of the constant and disconcerting sound of rock fall in the area left behind the coal cutter at the face where the hydraulic pit props, rather like large scissor jacks, were collapsed and moved forward to support the roof in the working area. I was assured all was well, but at about 1/2 mile underground it didn't fill me with confidence.

My late father told a story of the mine visit organised by the Rotarians in Leighton Buzzard, [come in old clothes] were the instructions. The bus was due to depart when the Chairman of the branch arrived late. He boarded the bus wearing buckskin shoes, cream buckskin shoes, a white suit complete with a white open neck shirt and colourful cravat. The whole ensemble was topped off with a light Panama hat!!

That was in the days when Colonel Blimp reigned supreme after the war and Pop, never one to be abashed by these pompous people, when questioned on 'what gongs did you get old man' on being told they needed a translation. 'What's a DDLM? Don't know that one'

He always took great delight in telling them 'Dan Dan the Lavatory Man'

Brian

Thread: Anecdotes 2
03/02/2013 11:45:59

One final story from Rolls Royce comes from the time the Company put out work to sub contract for the external pipework for fuel, oil supply, air bleeds etc. that runs round the shell of aero engines.

The company involved were essentially plumbers and there were persistently unacceptable levels of rejection in the work they supplied. On questioning what was going wrong it became clear they couldn't grasp at all the concept of the precision needed in pipe bending and the complex angulations required.

RR's answer was to hire a bus to collect the entire company, from MD to cleaner, and take them to the build shops in Derby so that they could see where things went and why it was all so important.

After that the rejection rate fell to virtually zero

Brian

03/02/2013 11:10:10

I don't think I'm revealing any secrets here, but modern aero engines are built into a ring shaped support for hanging in the 'pylon' off the wing. The shape of the ring is made such that the thing distotrs to round when loaded. I don't know the values involved, but getting the ovality assembled into the right place would be crucial!! Blade tip clearances in the hot stages inside are measured in thous.

And from the nuclear industry, in pressurised water reactors with steel shells nearing 10 inches in thickness, the control rod tube holes in the head are machined to allow for the head bulging under operating pressure. This is to ensure that they all [ and there are lots of them] finish up truly vertical to be able to drop the rods into the reactor core far below in the event of a 'scram' requiring prompt shut down.

Brian

Thread: Anecdote - 3
03/02/2013 10:36:45

Hello Neil,

Now that's a useful piece of information, my biggest dread on old timber in particlular is running into a nail, it is usually death to hardpoint saws, afterwards they cut only on one side, if at all. I'll try and rescue the next one.

I have always junked them in the past, they are cheap enough. However, having sheared off the induction hardened edge, the rest of the blade makes excellent stock for flat, toughened, high carbon steel, good for thrust bearing washers for example.

Brian

02/02/2013 09:23:41

Stub Mandrel's story of the gold mine visit and the DSG lathe he photographed there led me to take a look at his pictures. You may now know Neil what your mystery tool is and does; if not it is a Sawset, used for setting the teeth on woodsaws alternately along the blade by preset amounts dialed in by the round part of the tool.

They are largely redundant now with the widespread use of hard point saws that have been diamond ground, but any old time joiner would immediately recognise it. Eclipse were noted manufacturers.

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/02/2013 09:26:04

02/02/2013 09:21:27

Stub Mandrel's story of the gold mine visit and the DSG lathe he photographed there led me to take a look at his pictures. You may now know Neil what your mystery tool is and does; if not it is a Sawset, used for setting the teeth on woodsaws alternately along the blade by preset amounts dialed in by the round part of the tool.

They are largely redundant now with the widespread use of hard point saws that have been diamond ground, but any old time joiner would immediately recognise it. Eclipse were noted manufacturers.

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/02/2013 09:22:03

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/02/2013 09:22:56

01/02/2013 14:17:05

At my first boarding school in the late 1940's, the school play each year used a dimmer wired up for the stage lighting.

This comprised of a large glass water tank, two copper sheets held to the sides and a wooden framed 3rd copper sheet that could be lowered or raised in the space between. The dimming was smooth, step free but this apparatus had open terminals and trailing cables and was operated entirely by hand. Even as a callow kid of 10 years old, I appreciated the dangers inherent in this thing. Clearly this isn't on the heroic scale of your other correspondents stories on this thread, but it was nevertheless a school filled with boys having an exploratory nature.

Brian

Thread: 4mm square (mild) steel tubi
28/01/2013 12:35:06

Hello John,

I don't know where you live, but the Art Shop in Darlington has a display rack of just what you're looking for

Brian

Thread: The biggest time-wasters in your workshop?
28/01/2013 12:31:47

Andy,

I've sent you a PM for a solution to your drwabar problem on the DW mill

Brian

Thread: Dividing
26/01/2013 09:25:48

I've made additional plates for my BSO head which give prime numbers up to 69, it does extend the range quite well for simple indexing. The plate size limiit was reached when any larger would mean mounting the head up on spacing blocks to be able to turn the handle without being forced to have it overhanging the bed on the mill. I was lucky too that my tables came with the BS2 factors shown and these of course show the doublets applicable to the BSO head that can be selected from the standard plates.

What of course we are all overlooking is all the other odd numbers up to 198 and the means to achieve them.

I am tempted to suggest to Boldminer that he questions the number of teeth to cut and thinks of other DP gear sizes that he can index for around the periphery. 198 would be a lot of teeth to cut and are they perhaps too fine a pitch for the application?

Brian

25/01/2013 16:06:53

Hello Boldminer,

The ratio N=4/20 appears repeatedly for several divisions but they are differed by the gearing used on the studs to give the indexing required.

In your case, T=197 divisions has the gears as H=20, A=24,B=40, Cand D have no values and E=48

For T=198 divisions those gears are H=20, A=24, B=40, C=32, D=48, E has no value

Don't forget you are using the compound indexing method to achieve what you want, where movements are both forward and backward as dictated by the gearing to arrive at the result.

My tables for the BSO device go all the way out to T=380.

I hope that helps you

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 25/01/2013 16:14:25

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest