By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tramming Tom Senior light vertical.
11/08/2022 17:44:11

Old Mart,

I have a favourite way of tramming vertical mills which allows you to keep the spindle vertical while you tighten the clamps. You might like to try it.

Mount a lathe faceplate on an adaptor which allows you to locate the combination into the Morse taper socket. Wind the quill down so that the plate makes contact with the table and with the clamps just gripping, apply pressure to the quill and nudge the head about until full face contact is made to the table. Keep the pressure on and tighten the clamps. Bingo

Regards Brian

Thread: ML7 backgear lever lubrication.
09/08/2022 20:19:55

Is there one on the fat end?

09/08/2022 17:29:49

Bootleg,

It may well be that grease has been used in the past. I had this problem which led to seizing the bearing.

Remove the oil nipple and clean the bore thoroughly, then assemble and test with your oil gun to check that oil is getting through before reassembly. If you have a mill it may pay you to run a shallow groove along within the pin length to distribute the oil over the length of the bearing.

Regards Brian

Thread: Colchester Bantam 2000 lathe wanted
06/08/2022 12:42:32

Stuart,

There is a Student for sale on eBay, 240 volt supply. Look under the category " Metal lathes" and it comes up as the first entry. .. Current bid price £430. Scroll further and there is a Mastiff 1400 and a Triumph 2000, both of these are probably 3 phase machines

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 06/08/2022 12:48:04

Thread: Ajax AJ8 Milling Arbour removal
02/08/2022 17:35:06

Hello Nicholas,

I don't know the model, but suspect the arbour is located by a morse taper fitting which is pulled into location by a drawbar from the rear at the pulley block. The front end would be supported by a casting from the overarm with a precision bush in it. That is the general pattern for horizontal machines

You say there is a pin through the nut at the rear, indeed a hole is visible in your picture. I don't see any purpose for that at all. I think that the drawbar has been pulled up very tight and you will need to take it by surprise to free it off

Try fitting a drive belt to the pulley on the largest diameter, twist it up with a bar close to the pulley to get a good grip on the pulley and anchor the bar to something on the machine body to stop it moving.

Now fit a ring spanner on the nut, not open ended you need the full ring contact and belt the end of the spanner with a hammer; don't be timid about this, a good hefty whack will be needed. That should free the drawbar thread so that you can unscrew the drawbar. Undo it by a couple of turns and with a lump of flat brass on the head of the nut, give that a good belt with your hammer to jolt the tapers free.

After this treatment it should all come to pieces in the usual way

Best of luck

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 02/08/2022 17:38:41

Thread: a cautionary tale
28/07/2022 10:38:31

I should have added that to put that into perspective with the average demand on the boiler at the time it represented about 2.5% of that value. Not a lot maybe but as Tesco are so keen to tell us " Every little helps"

Brian

28/07/2022 09:32:35

On our old gas boiler that used a pilot light to ignite the main burner and keep the flame failure device operative at the same time I measured the demand that piece of kit was making on the gas supply during a holiday break with nothing else running.

The figure was a rather surprising 500 kWh per year.

Brian

Thread: Gearbox splines internal and external
21/07/2022 09:49:24

I agree with Tim, especially over the lack pf courtesy bit, we see it frequently.

Col21 may equally well just be someone who knows what he is doing and just wanted to confirm or rule out some options. It would have been nice to hear more of the background but clearly that is not going to happen

Regards Brian

13/07/2022 10:14:47

Be a little careful about re-cutting spines on a shaft. I saved some damaged Landrover 1/2 shafts for stock material where the splines had been stripped off. The damage went well below the surface in the form of fatigue cracking following the spline face angle and I found in the worst case I had to machine off about half the diameter to get down to clean material.

It was safer altogether to cut the splined length off completely to be able to use the bare bar as source material

Regards

Brian

Thread: I have no clue what this is
03/07/2022 11:11:10

Hello Chris,

Aircraft War surplus slow motion drive and I think with various speed ratios at the shafts with pegged flanges

Brian

Thread: Unusual Vice
02/07/2022 19:44:02

Hello David,

It's a Swedish made SEVO vice. I rescued one as a rusty wreck some time ago and wrote up the story in EIM.

Regards Brian

Thread: Is there a special tool for this?
02/07/2022 10:21:05

I would junk them anyway and put regular cross head self taps back in their place. As MichaelG observed, why bother.

Brian

Thread: Progress 2G pillar drill
30/06/2022 09:29:11

Hello Bill,

I used to spell out the "underscore" and the "at" but that seemed to make it difficult for people, so used to scanning these addresses in, to contact me. If I start getting unwanted mail I will junk that and create another address specifically for this sort of contact.

Thank you for your concern though

Brian

Thread: How to machine out a metal channel by hand?
25/06/2022 08:37:32

It might be possible to spread the channels progressively by hammering in a short section of larger diameter bar, levering it out and moving it along as you go.

Brian.

Edited By Brian Wood on 25/06/2022 08:37:58

22/06/2022 19:31:34

Hello again Derrick,

Error in my email address, I don't use that one so frequently

it should read as follows wood_y@btinternet.com

Regards

Brian

Thread: Advice sought on buying a nature watch camera for my garden
22/06/2022 17:09:55

Hello Greensands,

We have a mains powered camera that will do what you want which is sensitive enough to see mice and oddly enough moths!

It is sold at the BT shop, model number C320WS, cost below £60. Attributes include Wi-Fi, range depends on your modem and it needs a micro SD card to save images on

Images are in full colour in daylight with excellent I/R night vision---the only drawback is that it needs mains power. Fitting is not difficult, a kit is provided and the necessary waterproofing

We are pleased with both ours. One watches for hedgehogs, the other operates as a door cam

Brian

22/06/2022 16:51:34

Hello Derrick,

The gear construction is unusual and interesting in that there seems to be an internal bracer in the form of a split ring behind the gear teeth. Whether it is meant to be split is not clear, nor what it is made of..

Assuming the smaller drive gear to be made in steel, is there corresponding damage to that?

I am intrigued by this job, it would make an interesting challenge. I would need to examine it and the broken off pieces in detail before committing myself and cannot consider it anyway before the end of July. Why not send me an email so that we can go into the nitty gritty and sort something out that suits us both?

wood_@btinternet.com

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 22/06/2022 16:53:00

Edited By Brian Wood on 22/06/2022 17:11:59

Thread: STAN BRAY
21/06/2022 09:28:17

Thank you Howard for posting the news---a sad loss

Brian

20/06/2022 09:36:10

Hello Derrick,

In the unlikely event of finding a replacement gear you might find someone on the forum willing to make you one from Tufnol

They will need to know the diameter, tooth count, rim and hub thicknesses [they might be different] hub bore and details of the keyway drive, it might be a spline fitting for example . A few pictures to go with the information will also be helpful

Regards

Brian

Thread: New member
18/06/2022 10:34:28

Hello S.O.D.

Thank you for the guide to a better search box, a very useful piece of information.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate