By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Early Myford Super 7 (1953) Spindle lubrication
15/05/2022 18:09:12

Hello Dave,

One thought----are you able machine a replica window in perspex, plexiglass if from over the pond? It would look neat.

Failing that, your plan will work, I can see no reason why not

Regards Brian.

Thread: Almost 4BA but not quite
12/05/2022 17:36:40

Peter,

Before you go that far, it will be tricky anyway, try filing the O/D of the threaded rod you have made with a fine file just to take the sharp tip of the thread.

If you still feel you need to cut the thread, do you have gearing tables for your lathe? I can give you set ups for Myford, gearbox and non gearbox, Sieg mini lathes with 16 tpi leadscrew, 1.5 mm leadscrew and 2 mm pitch leadscrew if one of those is helpful to you

Regards

Brian

Thread: Barograph 'stiction'
12/05/2022 13:51:48

John,

I don't think you have anything to lose by trying your ideas out.

It might be instructive to look at other instruments of this type to see how they have dealt with suspension matters; the forces acting on the device that is trying to trace the changes in barometric pressure will not be high and plain sleeve bearings will demand some of that as you suspect.

You might be pleasantly surprised at the result

Brian

12/05/2022 12:08:24

You may well be right

Brian

Thread: Lang junior 6.5 inch swing lathe
10/05/2022 09:49:27

Hello again Paul,

Tony is not an easy man to reach, I think he ignores email routinely maybe because of the spam and malware it seems to attract

If you go back to his website he does have manuals and other printed material on Lang Junior lathes, go to his pages on machine manuals and seek information on Lang Junior. I have no idea how helpful it might be to you but he does ship worldwide. His manuals are good quality, digitally reproduced on decent weight paper with drawings you can easily read; I know this from experience.

You were seeking help from Chris Wells--the surname is actually Mills and you found his thread earlier. I think it most unlikely he would have coughed up £55 for a manual so what he is referencing I don't know. He is not an engineer, more a dabbler and collector of old machinery, all of which is in various dismantled stages to add to the collection in two garages at his mother's house in Somerset. None are operational and I dread to think how they have been "stored" there.

Chris and I fell out over his almost constant demands on my time to fix things he had taken apart, it was becoming too much to cope with. I last heard he and his partner had moved south to Romney Marsh to undertake a two house self build on land left to her after her father died. He promptly locked horns with the planning people over flood risks, having spent money with architects for drawings that were still to be approved. A more unsuitable man for full on and demanding practical work would be hard to imagine, so how things are going now I don't know.

I hope you find what you are looking for

Regards Brian

Thread: Lang Junior Lathe
09/05/2022 17:54:39

Hello Paul,

Try looking at the pages for a Lang Junior on Tony's website for at least a description of the lathe. He does sell handbooks too so again look for one for the Junior. Not cheap mind

Regards

Brian

Thread: Crates to transport Meddings MF4/5 ?
06/05/2022 14:59:26

Hello John,

Particle board might be considerably cheaper and if you are canny you could dimension the crates to make useful free standing shelving units when you unpack the drill at the other end. I shifted all my machinery in this way from the Dales to our current residence near Thirsk.

Keeping the contents rust free was straight forward; a good spray with WD40 and then wrap the bare metal with cling film, it worked very well while I built the new workshop with the crates sitting on battens on a poorly laid concrete floor in the draughty old shed within which I built the workshop

Good fortune with the move

Brian

Thread: Suggest a repair method for broken aluminium alloy casting
02/05/2022 12:40:56

Bazyle,

A propane flame is quite hot enough, no need for oxy-acetylene, that might meld the part you are trying to repair.

Brian

02/05/2022 09:06:52

AJAX,

I don't know what the melting temperature is for the rods I used, I made up some cranked carriers in thin aluminium box section to hold a starter switch out over the back of a lathe. It has worked well.

As others have said, do the job using the instructions supplied and without doing any vee prepping, just flow the metal into the joint..

I think you will be pleased with the result

Thread: Help ! how to remove embedded diamond lapping particles on metal surfaces
01/05/2022 18:08:43

I think you might only make things worse by using sandpaper----the scraping doesn't have to be very precise, you are trying to chisel out embedded hard particles

Regards Brian

Thread: Suggest a repair method for broken aluminium alloy casting
01/05/2022 18:04:56

I have made repairs with the aluminium brazing rods which are strong enough in that sort of thickness. They look satisfactory too

I recommend you try them. Be sure to use a stainless steel brush to abrade the joint all round before you apply heat, the brazing torch should be quite adequate, this is not high temperature work

Regards Brian

Thread: NEW CONTACT EMAIL FOR MEW EDITOR
25/04/2022 15:39:37

I can now answer my own question. Mortons pay £45 per article page, MTM uses to pay £50

11/04/2022 10:34:39

Hello John,

Just to confirm, Issue MEW 313 is published and it has your article in it

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 11/04/2022 10:34:59

Thread: Zyto lathe problem
10/04/2022 19:50:33

If you have the space to get the mod in John, and there would seem to be enough as it has been done already and allow for suitable guarding, that is rather a neat solution. I wish you well with it

Regards Brian

10/04/2022 15:46:35

Hello John,

A common problem with Zyto and old Myford lathes up to and including ML4 as well as Winfields and other clones.. They were all built to a price which meant direct engagement of traverse pinion which gives the carriage movement you are experiencing.

If and only if you can see a way of getting an intermediate gear engaged between these two will you fix that; otherwise it is a case of getting used to it and being careful with working near the chuck.

Regards Brian

Thread: NEW CONTACT EMAIL FOR MEW EDITOR
09/04/2022 08:13:41

Hello Neil,

Will this change mean a change in the payment currently offered for articles published in MEW?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Myford Super 7 QC gearbox Mk1 problem
05/04/2022 12:10:46

Brian,

Just a word of warning with buying the spare part from Myford, I just hope they haven't switched entirely to sourcing all their spares from China.

I would quiz them hard to be sure it will be suitable for the Mk1 gearbox, play the novice card, you don't want a gear made to modern standards!

I am sorry about the accident in timing here and you are certainly very welcome to come back to me if you feel the least bit concerned over buying a straight replacement. This wretched business can't last forever and I will get back into the workshop.

Send me your email address in a PM and we can remain in contact that way. I can then send you some pictures of the Hendey gearbox repair, it was a total wreck and the PBr work was just a part of the job

Best wishes and good luck

Brian

04/04/2022 19:51:24

Thank you Simon. I have seen others thus afflicted and judge myself in better shape than those poor unfortunates; It is a wretched condition in whatever strength of attack and your sympathy is very much appreciated.

Funny how this Mk I gearbox brings us into contact at odd intervals isn't it?!

My best wishes

Brian

04/04/2022 18:08:30

Good set of pictures Brian, very helpful

I confirm that the gearbox gears will all be to 14.5 degree pressure angle, but the gears that HPC have supplied will all mesh well together being in an isolated cluster.

If you haven't changed the 18 T gear on the leadscrew I suggest you do so, it is not good practice to run worn gears with new and especially so in this case as you would have two different pressure angle running together and the trio will suffer as a result.

Finding a 39 tooth tumbler gear in 14,5 degree PA might be difficult but I have a suggestion if the gear runs well on it's captive pin. Have an engineer turn off the remainder of the teeth and fit a thick Phosphor bronze collar securely to the rim and cut the new teeth into that. It will be perfectly satisfactory, bronze runs well with ferrous

I salvaged an otherwise good gear tumbler body on a 1904 Hendey lathe where all the teeth had been worn down to stumpy apologies, all the others in the gearbox I had made new or reformed where possible and I especially wanted to preserve the pin/gear fit rather than match that. Those transfer gears work hard as they are the central element in any gearbox selection

I would happily do the job for you but I am struck down with shingles in the right eye and it might be while before I feel like spending time in the workshop again.

I hope you can get sorted out satisfactorily

Regards Brian

04/04/2022 14:21:39

Brian,

One tip I recall is to turn the selector carrier over to gain access to the narrow end of the taper pins so that you can drive them out. It probably needs one of the shafts to be withdrawn to be able to do so.

A way you can confirm the idler gear tooth count is to use the formula DP = (n+2) divided by outside diameter. If you can establish the gear diameter [inch measure], the DP value for those gears is 20 and 'n' is the tooth count

Assuming I am correct at 39 teeth, the gear diameter will be 2.05 inches. I hope that helps you

Regards

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest