By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cost of Stamps to Increase
21/02/2020 14:09:59

The receiving record for 2nd class postage is simply not good enough, a lot of mail goes missing. There is no way of proving it of course, but I suspect it is given very low priority, hence the bad service.

If you are sending something that stands a chance of getting to it's destination on time, then 1st class is how it should go. The other alternatives include electronic mail [email] and texting

It is I'm afraid just another cost that increases. The PO have given it their thoughts and added to the cost!

Brian

Thread: Magazine article ME and MEW sought-after
19/02/2020 16:35:07

Howard,

Sorry to correct you, but If you look under Werner's other post joining the forum from Germany, he says in that his lathe is an early S7.

That being the case, the Ken Willson modification for roller bearings on the rear end of the spindle is what he needs, not modifications on a ML7 with white metal bearings.

Regards

Brian

19/02/2020 10:20:17

Hello Werner,

You said your lathe is an early Super 7. If I remember correctly, the Alan Hearshum article is for modifying the ML7 lathe with roller bearings in place of the white metal plain bearings. It is not a conversion you can apply to your lathe.

All is not lost however! Ken Willson published a conversion to taper roller bearings for the rear bearings of the Super 7 headstock in MEW 175 published in April 2011.

I made the change on my own lathe having read the article and it has performed without fault for nearly 9 years now. I fully endorse the upgrade but you do need the use of another lathe to machine recesses in the adjuster rings to be able to contain the greater depth of the bearings since they occupy more space within the housing than the angular contact bearings they will be replacing.

I can send you a copy of Ken's article but only by email. For some reason I can no longer add to my folders or post pictures on the forum so that is my only route to you. Send me your email address if you would like a copy;

My address is wood_y(at)btinterner(dot)com. All in lower case, with no spaces and be sure to include the underscore [ _ ] between the d and the y

Regards

Brian

Thread: Spare a thought for Neil
17/02/2020 17:54:42

I'll second that.

We all see pictures on TV and can only imagine the misery flooding brings to the people affected..

Stay dry if you can Neil

Brian

Thread: Wood store
11/02/2020 15:06:39

The late John Stevenson once confessed on this forum that he had a similar problem with angle grinders; in a clear-out he came across about 9 of those buried behind and under all manner of other stuff.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Myford S7 headstock on ML7 bed
09/02/2020 18:34:54
Posted by Steviegtr on 08/02/2020 19:00:11:

When you say tapered roller bearing upgrade. Are you referring to the old twin white metal bearing headstock. As I am not aware you can do anything with the later tapered Bronze bush model.

KWIL wrote an article in MEW some while ago describing an upgrade to taper roller bearings in place of the rather vulnerable angular contact bearing that Myford used in the S7 headstock. It is completely successful and has served me very well for over 10 years without any adjustment from when I carried out the modification. I endorse the upgrade for those good reasons.

I know of two other owners who have also made the change, again with good results

Regards

Brian

07/02/2020 15:41:56

Dave,

The ML7R is a hybrid lathe with an ML7 bed, fitted with the ML7 cross slide/topslide, but a Super 7 headstock and tailstock.

I don't imagine Myford made a different bed for the S7 but KWIL's point on matching the centre heights between headstock and tailstock is relevant and it might pay you to fit both.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Hi From Bavaria
30/01/2020 18:12:40

Hello Martin,

Welcome to the forum. It will be nice for you to get the Myford back into running condition again; you can then think about what you are going to do with it and no doubt all that reading material will give you many ideas.

Regards Brian

Thread: Harrison 11" swing lathe ( L5 i think )
27/01/2020 17:28:19

Steve,

I don't know the model well enough, but surely you should be adjusting the brake?

Brian

Welcome to the Forum by the way-- you should gets lots of answers from other owners.

Thread: Milling machine & Shaper query
27/01/2020 17:20:34

Steven

I had made my Dore Westbury mill when I bought the shaper, an Elliott 10. . It has done some useful work as mgmbuk has described and I am fortunate enough to have the space available.

Mine has the satisfying sound of a washing machine when it is running and just making a flat surface is almost mesmeric. It might be a luxury if your space is tight, but for doing the grunt work on a casting for example it is hard to beat.

Regards Brian

Thread: Beaten and robbed.
26/01/2020 12:43:58

This story makes me think the whole thing was possibly a set up right from the start.

For example, how did they know who to target and that they would be carrying a bundle of cash with them?

Maybe I am just naturally suspicious, but an insurance fraud also come to mind.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Question about Harrison lathe
24/01/2020 10:00:23

Hello Marcus,

A replacement gap piece may well be unobtainable. They are usually fitted and finished along with the bed, with perhaps a scraped surface as well which makes the piece individual.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Brian

Thread: What geen grinding wheels for tools
23/01/2020 18:20:46
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 23/01/2020 17:40:06:

I would not bother with a green wheel for carbide, diamond wheels work very well, are much safer, and don't cost a great deal. I have a couple of green wheels but have not used them for years and don't expect I will ever use them again.

Doug

They are OK if you are doing some heavy work like reshaping the working face of a carbide tool, to be finished after that with a diamond wheel. But if most of your work is in maintaining an existing tool shape I would agree with you

Brian

23/01/2020 15:53:19

Hello Steve,

Don't use fine grit wheels, they tend to glaze over. Green Silicon Carbide wheels for carbide tooling, white wheels for HSS and steels.

Keep the cutting sharp and open with 46 or 60 grit wheels, finishing the edge on your carbide tooling with a diamond wheel. That can be a fine grit wheel. They are really quite affordable these days

Regards Brian

Thread: Granville senior lathe
22/01/2020 14:27:19

Hello Gareth,

I think I can help you with tables, not pictures but the information in the pdf is all clear in telling you what fits where

The Granville lathes were I think Myford copies with 8 tpi leadscrews and 20 DP 14.5 degree pitch angle change wheel gearing. I don't know if Myford supplied gears can be used directly but it wouldn't surprise me if they can

I have a pdf of all manner of gearing for 8 tpi leadscrew lathes without gearboxes but due to some irritating problem I can't solve I can't add that to my albums, the relevant button to make it happen is hidden from view.

Send me your email address and I will send you a copy

Regards Brian

wood_y(at)btinternet(dot)com all in lower case, no spaces, note there is an underscore [ _ ] between the d and y

Thread: Sieg Tailstock Quill
22/01/2020 09:16:37

Hello Joseph,

You could always ask ArcEuro for that information.

Brian

Thread: Hemingway Myford Tailstock Swarf Guard
20/01/2020 18:21:54

Mike,

Slide your swarf guard over the barrel and fit a hose clip to the protruding barrel. Wind barrel back in to hold the guard. Bingo.

Brian

Thread: Dementia
20/01/2020 15:27:17

"Just something as simple as forgetting things can be signs of the onset"

Do be sure that what you are witnessing is actually dementia and not just the forgetfulness myself and probably half those of us who correspond on this forum exhibit as a result of just getting older. That is very different.

The real thing is as you say progressive and not treatable and it becomes a heavy burden for everyone concerned. I have experienced it at close quarters, you have my sympathy and I am sure that of many others if that is the situation you are facing

Regards Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 20/01/2020 15:27:38

Thread: Dunlop Taper Bushes
20/01/2020 12:56:53

Hello Stephen,

They also are known as taper lock hub bushes. Google for suppliers and the many various sizes available, they are not expensive..

A point to be aware of is that the two holes that accept the clamping grub screws are NOT across a diameter, they are displaced at 5 degrees below centre on either side to enhance the collapsing action of the bore onto the motor shaft. The hub cone angle is 8 degrees

Regards

Brian.

Thread: Apologies for raising this again
19/01/2020 18:52:15

So he would Jason, I hadn't though of that.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest