By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 18:55:23

I made my Mk 2 Dore-Westbury which I still own, admittedly a light machine which now has variable speed drive, a big improvement. It get a lot of use.

A Tom Senior [Junior] horizontal mill, a lovely machine, which I use for gear cutting

And not listed as a category on it's own, an Elliott M 10 shaper

Brian

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 18:33:56

Myford ML4 inherited when Dad died. Sold to buy----

A good Myford ML7 from a trusted friend. That was a good lathe but sold to buy----

Another good Myford ML7 R, which I still have and use. It is much modified.

Smart and Brown Sabel---a nice one and I use it

Churchill Cub, a rescue project recently taken in hand. It will be good when it is done

Brian.

Edited By Brian Wood on 21/07/2019 18:35:25

Thread: Saying hello from Cheshire.
20/07/2019 17:10:08

Welcome aboard Tommy,

I am not into clocks, machine tools and tool making are my main interests. You will though find many kindred spirits here

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 20/07/2019 17:10:56

Thread: Colchester Chipmaster
20/07/2019 11:09:20

Ernest,

You may have to make one by filing out a square hole in a piece of drilled bar and then welding or brazing a T handle or similar to it.

If you Google square chuck keys all you see are the male versions and looking for hollow square keys only seems to go up to clock winding key sizes, nothing in the size you need..

Brian

Thread: Steel boiler storage.
20/07/2019 11:04:28

Hello Kevin,

You secure it mechanically so that it is in good electrical contact

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 18:51:14

Hello Andrew,

I too will miss your input. It has given great value, knowledge and experience to the rest of us on the forum and it seems a great pity that some feel it has no place here, based purely upon the scale on which you work.

I do hope you will reconsider and return to us. As others have said, the forum will be a poorer place if not

Kind regards Brian

Thread: Cutting a Mod 1 worm
11/07/2019 20:09:56

Hello Howard,

How very flattering, I'll do what I can to help.

I am not familiar with your BL12-24 lathe, but I suspect it will have a 40T gear off the spindle permanently included in any change wheel set up. I don't know how comprehensive the Norton gearbox is either, so a picture or two to enlighten me on those aspects will be helpful; plus of course your spreadsheet.And a picture to show how your changewheels are arranged on the banjo would be helpful.

Do you have any feel for the ratios the gearbox provides? One way of establishing that is to take a look inside and count the teeth on the input gear, then count the teeth on the cone of gears that can be selected. I can work out what that gives as ratios if you would prefer not to.

I hope it won't be necessary for you to make other change wheels, we'll see.

My email is wood_y(at)btinternet(dot)com all in lower case, no spaces and note the underscore between d and y

Regards

Brian

10/07/2019 19:49:46

Hello again Howard,

I can save your brain cells some, but not all, the work.

The basic gearing calculation is really not too difficult. For this example we do need to incorporate an approximation for pi/2 in the gearing, which is neatly given by 55/35 to an error of roughly 1 in 2000

The full sum therefore becomes required Pitch P = 55/35 x R x Leadscrew pitch [ R is the combined value of change wheel ratio and in your case a gearbox ratio]

Putting in the known value for P = 3.142, we can rearrange the formula to find the value of R

R = 3.142 x 35/55 x 1/ Leadscrew pitch [1/3 in this case] which gives a value for R of 0.6664

Without knowing what change wheels you have available, nor the gearbox ratios that you can call upon, it surely can't be too taxing to find values for these components in the calculation, which multiplied together amount to 2/3

Regards

Brian

Thread: Myford ML4 backgear disassemble
10/07/2019 09:07:22

Hello Stan,

I'm sorry to be late in reply to your question, I have only just seen it. From fading memory now, I recall that the backgear cluster that fits onto the eccentric that is used to swing it into and out of engagement is retained on it's shaft with a broad washer and countersunk screw, fitted to the 'motor' side.

Remove those and slacken the nip bolt that proves an adjustable grip to the shaft in question [to give it some resistance to turning], the shaft should then withdraw towards the tailstock end of the lathe.

I have a new and unused 65 tooth bull wheel available to fit the main spindle, teeth often get broken off those and they are no longer available as spares from Myford. If you need one, send me a personal message (PM)

Good luck with the restoration

Brian

Thread: Cutting a Mod 1 worm
10/07/2019 08:27:53

Howard,

The error was listed in the table as mm, so the figure will be 0.001 mm [1 micron]

It is of course a calculated value which depends on the accuracy of the leadscrew on the machine in question. Having said that you could test the gearing on your lathe with a 60 T gear on the leadscrew just to see if you could cut that pitch, it would perhaps prove the point whether or not your lathe is capable of the task.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Beamish Museum
08/07/2019 08:36:05

Hello Ian

Thank you for the new information, we haven't visited Beamish in years and clearly there is new material to look at. A visit in the Autumn I think.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Cast iron - 160mm dia
04/07/2019 12:20:32

The largest diameter cast iron I have bought from M-Machine was 140 mm diameter, a slice of 2 inch thickness to make a 63 tooth gear of 12 DP.

It was clean, no blow holes or central imperfections and being continuously cast material I would expect that to be typical of all the sizes they sell.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Machine Movers
29/06/2019 14:07:05

I can bring this thread up to date concerning Landylift operations, having had a Churchill Cub lathe delivered by Steve Cox today, and a very professional job I might add too

He is now handling machine movement requests on a case by case basis and only on Saturdays. His present full time job is installing bar feed equipment to CNC machinery which is keeping him pretty busy..

He is retaining his truck with all the tackle he uses for the time being to keep his options open, but knowing I would be updating the Forum accordingly, he did ask me to point out this change in his business affairs.

He can still be reached by email at landylift@aol.co.uk his phone number is 07836 736496.

Regards

Brian

Thread: What to do,what to do.
27/06/2019 19:10:21

Roger,

Clearly opinion is divided.

I found a 4J self centreing Pratt chuck on the RDG stand at the last Harrogate show and after I put the fitting right on it's backplate [ it was at least 1 mm in error] it has proved to be truly accurate and I prefer to use it for most work now.

It was almost brand new at the time of purchase, the previous owner must have been deeply disappointed with it's performance, all down of course to a sloppy job he made of fitting

So, your choice really

Brian

Thread: Bookpress 5tpi Square thread help please!
27/06/2019 18:55:15

That looks like a nice, satisfying outcome Martin, well done. A world away from how it was when you bought it

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 27/06/2019 18:55:50

Thread: Changing Tapers on an Arrand boring head.
19/06/2019 08:41:23

Andrew,

They do unscrew, the thread is right hand. Try some heat on the head and a soak of the joint with WD 40 before you try the impact, it might just shock free then

It seems a shame to have to resort to drilling it out

Good luck.

Brian

Thread: Le Blond, 'Regal 10' lathe, circa 1942 and other machines - Help Needed
11/06/2019 12:48:47

Hello Jet,

Try Steve Cox of Landylift , based in West Yorkshire. They are frequently recommended on this forum although I have no direct experience so I can only pass on the views of others who have used him

Phone 07836 736496

email landylift@aol.co.uk

Regards

Brian

Thread: Little John
04/06/2019 18:11:38

John,

It might be worth trying Tony Griffiths at www.lathes.co.uk I believe he sells these belts. He may of course be the supplier your friend has located!!

They are rather special being as close to the top surface of a Vee belt as possible to remove the effects of drag on the lower section when running in expanding pulley halves.

Regards

Brian

Thread: help with gear calculations
02/06/2019 15:40:51

That looks like a very professional job Pete, it should fit nicely

Brian

Thread: Cast iron dust , is it really that bad for lathe beds.
02/06/2019 15:39:00

I use a brush to sweep it off the bed as you generate it, it gives the bed wipers a much easier time and then clean it all up at the end of the job.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest