By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Burgess BK3 MK2
28/07/2021 12:19:42

Laurence,

A 5A switch will be more than adequate

Regards

Brian

Thread: moving machines
24/07/2021 09:37:29

Not such a new idea, but clever nevertheless

The Rolls-Royce heavy gang laid down a 30 foot vertical broach for transport up to one of their Scottish factories by building an ice block wall from the entire output of the Derby ice factory and pulling it onto the wall to allow the blocks to melt and lower it onto one of their low level machine skates.

After the wall had melted they jacked up the foot end, slid another skate in underneath and rolled the machine out of the shop down the gangway between all the lathes and milling machines

The Ice factory is now no more, having burnt down I believe in the late 1960s

Brian

Thread: San Ou K72 - 200 4Jaw Chuck Sitrep
22/07/2021 13:52:11

Hello Mike,

I'm with Howard Lewis in his observations but just out of interest since you don't mention it in your analysis, do these chucks come with hard jaws?

Regards

Brian

Thread: Brake drums/discs
16/07/2021 09:41:29

They will also make useful work support stands for the milling table.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Screw cutting advice ml7
05/07/2021 09:36:23

Hello von dutch,

Try packing it out on the mounting stud with washers of selected thickness, you will find one that gives it a decent match.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Help with machining Titanium
04/07/2021 10:17:05

Hello Stuart,

Sorry to hear your story, your wife will take keen interest in your work to replace the loss.

There are Damascus grades of Titanium alloy that take on multiple swirling oxidation colours with heating after the machining work, otherwise the straight grades [available oddly enough from HPC gears] will still colour up but not in the attractive mixed form that jewellers achieve with the Damascus grades.

I did the machining work on two wedding rings for one of my grandson's and his wife, a dummy sizing run in the straight grade HPC material and then the proper rings in the fancy grade that Chris had found.

I think an intense localised flame like oxi/gas with immediate quenching gets the best colouration but there are also electrolytic methods I believe that might give deeper and more durable colours. Not a field I have any experience with.

As others have said, take care with the swarf; I fired mine outside later. As for tooling, ordinary tipped tooling will make as good a job as any other, nothing fancy is needed; Ti machines in a very similar manner to the stainless steels

Enjoy the challenge

Brian.

Edited By Brian Wood on 04/07/2021 10:18:21

Thread: Help to identify Lathe
01/07/2021 18:24:06

Hello James,

My guess is a Drummond. There are plenty of owners who will give you a better opinion and you will get a lot more information from the Drummond entry on Tony Griffith's superb archive website----www.lathes.co.uk

Regards

Brian

Thread: Bureaucracy with a tinge of Madness
23/06/2021 17:30:40

This has all the hallmarks of a scam, despite your assurances to the contrary. I would watch very carefully for developments as you have got this far into it

Brian

Thread: Dore-Westbury Mill
16/06/2021 09:09:43

Hello again John,

Picking up on your plans for a DRO on the DW mill. I agree with you on the thinking behind going for a version that displays PCDs, it is one of the most useful features even if you don't expect to use it very often.

Nice to hear your have been able to acquire a decent and well made piece of kit

Regards

Brian

15/06/2021 18:40:42

Hello John,

There is a really simple fix for loss of position when having to raise/lower the column during cutting operations.

Buy yourself one of those laser board pointers, the green is a good strong colour, and park it up on top of the mill aimed at some distant vertical edge in your workshop. Any error will be utterly trivial over a long distance, far better I think than struggling with other mechanical methods..

And another simple tip, this time for tramming the head, is to use a lathe faceplate on the nose of the spindle brought down flat to the table. Cheap, quick and in my view a whole lot easier than messing about with rotated dial test indicators or twin versions of them on frames.

Enjoy your new toy. I've had nearly 30 years of use out of mine since building it, and it has worked hard at times.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Mk. 2 Progress Model 1 bench drill.
09/06/2021 08:47:45

Hello Rod,

You are correct in your assessment, the ring is used to push off the chuck when fitted to the Jacob taper

I would extend the arbour tang so that you can use a drift to separate the Morse tapers

My drill is the New Progress #1 which only has the knurled ring for chuck release

Regards

Brian

Thread: Alexander Master Toolmaker
04/06/2021 09:26:06

Hello Andy,

In the words of a well known but deceased TV presenter " Didn't he do well ! "

I agree whole-heartedly with your course of action and the logic of going for a motor with good low revs torque, I imagine with a machine tool of that calibre, shifting metal as a grunt operation will be the more frequent use rather than doing things at high speed.

I'm glad to have been instrumental in pointing a way ahead, I hope the rest of the restoration goes well for you..

Regards

Brian

03/06/2021 15:07:15

Hello Andy,

They are parallel to the pulley axis but displaced downwards around the circumference by 5 degrees either side of the equator.

I found the most satisfactory way of tapping them [3/8 inch whit in my insert] was to drill and tap the holes first before boring the 8 degree taper so that you finish up bisecting them on the face of the bush.

If you are in anyway unhappy about all that, do a Google search and find someone who has a believable drawing showing the correct geometry, there are lots of entries under taper lock bushes

Regards

Brian

03/06/2021 12:24:33

Hello Andy,

I don't think sleeving with shim stock would be satisfactory at all, far better to grip the new size of motor shaft with a taper fit coupling.

You should be able to find one with the keyway cut to suit the new 8 mm wide key. They are not a silly price either.

I have refurbished an old Churchill lathe that had a huge 55 kg 1 HP 3 phase 2 speed motor with a shaft of 1.125 inch diameter and 1/4 inch wide key---the replacement from Newton Tesla is 2 HP with a shaft diameter of 26 mm, 6 mm key and weighs 17.5 kg. The march of progress in motor design and technology!

Regards

Brian

03/06/2021 09:50:55

Andy,

Maybe I am coming in a bit late with this suggestion regarding the reworking of the motor pulley, but are you aware of taper fit couplings that can be used to couple bosses to motor shafts?

Look them up through Google, the pulley you have inherited could well have enough meat in it to machine up to accept one of these fittings.

A word of warning if you buy one and that is to be aware of a 5 degree bias circumferentially when machining the matching holes for the grub screws that close the bore onto your new motor shaft. They are not diametrically opposite which might be what the little drawing that comes with the bush suggests

Regards

Brian

Thread: Myford extension for spindle.
31/05/2021 18:40:21

Oh, sorry, the extension is to the spindle nose. I assumed, without checking, that it would be as I described.

I'm sorry, I can't help with a use for an extension this way round.

Regards

Brian

31/05/2021 18:36:40

Old Mart,

To guide swarf out of the bore and through the hole in the change wheel door, rather than have it falling into the change wheels inside the cover.

Regards

Brian

Thread: Bantam metric leads crew & half nut
30/05/2021 20:35:07

Hello Dan,

I am surprised that no-one else has mentioned it before now , but surely there are change wheel arrangements that will give you metric threading using an imperial leadscrew. Are there no guidance set ups in a plate fastened to the change wheel cover or elsewhere on the lathe? It would save you a lot of money and the approximations are usually remarkably close.

Brian

Thread: Screwcutting on the Bantam
28/05/2021 09:45:07

Hello William,

I think you may find the tooth form will be DP and perhaps 14.5 degree pressure angle. I am going by the vintage here but I may be wrong on the pressure angle, it could be 20 degrees making for stronger gear teeth by virtue of the slightly broader tooth base.

Owners will be able to confirm my thoughts

Brian

Thread: 935 bronze
24/05/2021 11:12:49

M-Machine supply small pieces of stock as well by mail order

www.m-machine-metals.co.uk

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest