By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Wood

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Wood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CovMac Lathes
15/09/2019 18:50:28

Well done Phil.

I don't like to be critical, but was there an element of variable speed running in the higher speed you demonstrated?

Next test of course is to make some swarf.

Best wishes Woody

Thread: Solvent for degreasing engine, without damaging the paintwork?
14/09/2019 18:09:00

I would soak it in paraffin, I'm pretty sure that will have no effect on the paintwork but it will soften old oil and other such stiff lubricants.

Regards Brian

13/09/2019 09:31:04

Looking forward to seeing it run again now Phil, you've made a nice job of it too.

Woody

Thread: Help with Ward 3A
12/09/2019 17:49:58

David,

Give them all a good oiling too, the passages could well be choked with grease that is in the process of drying out and it may take some shifting.

If you can look to see evidence of penetration.

Regards Brian

Thread: THIN cutting oil - Suds alternative?
12/09/2019 10:30:51

Hello Lainchby,

I think I can provide some reassurance on the vexed question of coolant staining.

I am currently restoring a Churchill Cub lathe made in 1947. When I took the headstock off the bed, the joint faces beneath had residues of old oil and looked very poor. A wipe with a rag, no more than that, swept all that mess away to leave perfectly smooth and clean ground surfaces, stained black by the effects of soluble oil that had crept into the joints after many years use.

The staining is clearly superficial, no more than microns in depth as on re-assembly it made no difference whatsoever to the location of or accuracy in re-positioning the headstock.

I conclude from all this that the staining which so many worry does no harm to the machine surfaces. Furthermore, this old machine had stood out in all weathers for some time after a factory closure, waiting for the dealer to collect; there was even water below the oil in the all geared headstock!

The rain had not penetrated into those joint surfaces other than just along one edge for maybe 1/8 of an inch and was no more than a slightly red mark.

I sweep my machines clear of swarf with a bannister brush after a machining session, it does a lot to keep them clean ready for the next job and only rarely wipe over with an oily rag.

I hope that story slays some dragons for you and perhaps others.

Brian

(Edited for punctuation)

Edited By Brian Wood on 12/09/2019 10:34:42

08/09/2019 18:56:33

Hello John,

Yes indeed, good to hear from you again. And what a lot of swarf ! A respectable surface finish though, one big advantage of a heavy machine, it holds to the cut because of the sheer mass of the saddle/cross slide combination.

For Larry's benefit, these Covmac lathes were made for serious work, they weigh about 1.5 tonnes and use big tools to shift all that metal Certainly not a garden shed job!

Regards Brian

Thread: Arrand facemill TORX size..
06/09/2019 13:59:13

That size also fits the TORX screws on the carbide tooling that Arrand used to sell many moons ago; they too had the same size of tip ( TCMT 110204)

Brian

04/09/2019 18:14:55

In the light of this correspondence, I tried a T8 driver on the Torx screws in my Arrand face mill this afternoon; it was too big as he too has discovered.

Regards Brian

04/09/2019 14:54:25

I did try my T7 flag style driver on the screws in my Arrand face mill before offering it to Alan, but from what Vic says there is clearly some degree of variability in the fit in the heads on screws of this size.

Perhaps Alan should also equip with a T8 driver to cover all the bases!!

Brian

04/09/2019 08:52:40

Hello Alan,

The correct key is T7.

I have a spare I can post to you if you wish, send me a PM

Regards

Brian

Thread: be careful out there people!
25/08/2019 18:33:12

Well done Phil, it could have been a lot worse.

Woody

Thread: screw cutting on a chester db10 lathe
22/08/2019 10:31:29

Kind of you to say so Howard, but the chapter on mini lathes in my book with the various pitch leadscrews does not go into gearbox machines like the DB 10. There were way too many combinations over the range of models to begin to make any progress on trying to unravel all those.

I principle I agree with what you say, but I'm afraid I look at these machine plates with wonder, the guidance is really quite dreadful and to send them out without a handbook is even worse.

Regards

Brian

Thread: What coating/grease for long term tool storage
20/08/2019 18:31:45

Many years ago, steel water pipes due to be laid in the ground, galvanised or otherwise, were wrapped in a loose woven heavy scrim like material impregnated with a thick green paste called Denso tape. You could also buy the paste on it's own.

Pipes protected in this way would last for years and be as good as new if dug up again. In those days, plumber's merchants sold it, it may still be available. I have used it to good effect

Brian

16/08/2019 11:17:17

Hello Chris,

Nice to hear from you again; I thought you might be into the house construction phase by now but clearly not.

Is there an end to the bureaucracy in sight yet?

Best wishes to you both

Woody

PS I agree with Phil by the way, rotating bodies, however pretty to look at, need guarding and he is making a nice looking job of it

Thread: EUREKA Gear-Tooth Relieving Attachment - Ancient History....
16/08/2019 11:10:31

Thank you Michael, always a fount of knowledge and help and greatly appreciated

Best wishes Brian

16/08/2019 09:05:13
Posted by John Reese on 14/08/2019 23:22:46:

If anyone is interested in scaling up the Eureka tool there is a solid model posted on GrabCad.

Hello John,

How would I access that please?

Brian

15/08/2019 10:07:55

Hello Phil,

Seeing those bits of belt guard hanging up rather brings home, to me at least, the size of these Covmac lathes. I have only dabbled at the edges fixing things etc for Chris Mills

One job of his was on the tailstock barrel, a hefty piece about 18 inches long and yah thick into which he had jammed a 3 MT drill sleeve, then tried to knock it out with a 6 inch length of 3/4 inch precision ground bar that had also jammed in the bore of the barrel having beaten it down as far as he was able. The postal charges in sending it to me would make you weep!

I got an article in MEW out of that job and had a proper stroke of luck too in tackling it.

Good luck with the trial run, I imagine it will be interesting.

Best wishes Woody

14/08/2019 16:24:24

Hello Phil,

You've answered one of my earlier questions and put 5 belts on it. It certainly looks businesslike now. Next test is to run it surely?

Good luck

Woody

Thread: EUREKA Gear-Tooth Relieving Attachment - Ancient History....
14/08/2019 08:37:59

Hello Andre,

There was clearly more to Mr. Balzer than we know, thank you for digging this extra bit of history out for us to enjoy

Brian

13/08/2019 09:18:07

It is looking good Phil, looking forward to the next step in progress. Wise move with the old paint removal, it could contain pretty much anything

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest