By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Into the darkness
09/06/2021 16:51:16

Do you have to have special LED dimmer switches for dimmable LED bulbs ? I ask this as I changed the halogen bulbs for LEDs which sort of work OK, but some of the LEDs on the same circuit can dimly glow when all is turned off.

Bob

Thread: Window on the World?
05/06/2021 11:53:45

The "earthing" of the magneto to stop it working is normal done by shorting out the primary windings. The secondary windings produce the high tension. If this wasn't so, magnetos would have to have spark plug (High tension) cable leading to the cutout switch.

Have a look at most "newer" lawn mowers, there is a thin wire which shorts the magneto to stop the spark being produced. "Older" mowers like the Suffolk Punch Etc shorted out the high tension spark plug.

I see no reason why using a lighting switch wouldn't work so long as the internals of the switch permitted it - Ie: that the switch didn't have some form of lamp to indicate that the lights were on.

Thread: Master key - precision chuck.
03/06/2021 15:24:37

Can someone explain why it makes a difference (It obviously does or it wouldn't be mentioned).

Bob

Thread: What have I done ?
02/06/2021 19:44:25

Interesting, bookmarking ceased to work for me, when I looked at my bookmarks, there was loads of em. Deleted the whole lot off (one by one) and will see if it makes a difference.

Thread: Small drill honing jig
02/06/2021 19:42:17

Another shot of the tool. The knurled knob tightened a rod which passed through the main body. That rod had a 1.5mm diameter hole through it perpendicular to its axis. The bottom of the body has a small "V" groove in it along its underside such that a small rod (Drill ??) could be held to project forward of the body at the "pointy" end. A bit small for holding a graver though. Unfortunately, I have sold it !

watch tool 3.jpg

02/06/2021 06:44:30

Is it a tool like this ?

watch tool 4.jpg

Thread: Injector LBSC type
31/05/2021 07:24:30

I have sourced a copy of DAG Brown's book, and now thinking towards making one of those, however I need to source a 7/32 reamer which will take some time to get here in France, but won't stop me making the tapered reamers etc.

Back to LBSC's injector, the drawing shows a tapped hole of 5/32 x 40 for the water overflow.

5/32 = 0.156"

depth of thread 2 x 0.016" = 0.032

core diameter 0.124 (for the 5/32 x 40 thread)

assume 24 SWG( 0.022) for the tube gauge

0.124 - (2 x 0.022) = 0.080 max bore diameter of water overflow.

The water overflow is threaded into the injector body so that you can measure the distance between the end of the combining cone and delivery cone. I take Julian's point about the positioning of the steam cone which brings us back to "bare" dimensions !

Thread: Company Identification
29/05/2021 10:59:48

Can anyone identify this box end/side. Its the size of a standard wine bottle box and has P.I.S.A branded onto it. It looks like there was also a paper label attached by drawing pins. Why stop away from boilers ??

img_7004.jpg

Thread: Steam Canoe Machinery
29/05/2021 09:44:08

Looking at an old copy of the Steam boat Register (7th edition),

"LAUGHING WATER" LOA 19' 6", compound engine 2.5 + 4.5 x 2.5, boiler loco type 200 psi, 3 blade prop 15 x 25.

HEATHER LOA 17' Beam 2' 10" 3 cal radial 1.25 bore, boiler 3 drum water tubed, prop 3 blade 8 x 8

COUGH LOA 16', stuart turner No 1 (2x2), boiler flash steam 40psi, prop 3 blade 10x15

29/05/2021 08:10:58

Anyone got a copy of DAG Brown's book they want to sell? I bought a copy a few years ago and lost it (I think that it was left in the aeroplane whilst whiling away 23 hours on a flight to Oz!!).

Bob

Thread: The worst 'upcycling' tragedy ever?
28/05/2021 13:42:40

I guess a pianola would make a fine computer desk, using the pedals to turn an alternator for the laptop power supply ???

27/05/2021 12:13:32

I have seen the terms 'bare' and 'full'

Bare is SIZE or just less and full is SIZE and a bit more. Looking at the injector here, the cone has to be a stiff push fit so that it doesn't move out of position (a force fit would be too tight for the "slotted cone".

SOD - If I understand correctly, injectors are a little "finicky" and those tight dimensions must be adhered to. having said that, those measurements were by eye from a rule !!

Bob

26/05/2021 17:51:36

Thank you John, apparently my question was too simple! After scouring the MECH site and reading many pages, I still didn't find the answer to my question. Part of the answer is obvious in that the slots pierce the Venturi to allow overflow water to pass via the clack to the overflow pipe, but its not clear (to me) how much material should be left between the 2 x 1/32" wide slots in the combining cone.

Also missing from LBSC's text and drawings is the bore and length of the 5/32" diameter overflow pipe.

Bob

26/05/2021 12:50:26

I am under way in making one of LBSC's injectors for a 5" SPEEDY loco.

It seemed a simpler idea once the body was made to make what was described as a "Slotted Cone" for the combining cone. as detailed in the attached drawing.

Can someone explain what the slots in the sides of the cone do and should those slots pierce the Venturi which passes through the cone?

injectordetails.jpg

Thread: Best place to find a replacement vice?
25/05/2021 06:29:24

As regards IRWIN, how much abuse did you want to put the vice to ? Most second hand genuine Records have seen a fair bit of service and unless you intend to do heavy iron work bending and hammering and generally using the vice beyond its capabilities, that the IRWIN would be a nice small vice for your needs.

I have seen several RECORDS which have been welded after being abused - use the right tool for the job comes to mind!

Bob

Thread: BSW Fasteners
23/05/2021 18:34:43

I don't know where your "neck of the woods " is, but ... A location would help

If just plain csk, turn some hex bolts down to countersunk heads and put a sawcut in the head

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 13:15:14

JA - Pm sent with web site address

Thread: A Welding Problem - Steel Type?
23/05/2021 13:02:28

Have you run out of gas ??

Thread: New use for a slide rule
23/05/2021 11:16:58

It gets really interesting when you use the Log and Trig functions. Dad - 40 years designing aircraft from wooden woders through to TSR2 an Concord(e) never had a digital calculator, and said it was easy to work out sections of stressed parts, rivets etc as you can see the next gauge/ size just to the side of your calculated value.

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 11:12:47

I am also at that stage, after talking to a French paint supplier, he encouraged me to go for 2 pack epoxy from an aerosol can. These cans have a ring pull valve in the base of the can. Pul the ring , give the can a really good rattle and you have 48 hours to use the paint up. Having said that, I have still been using the remainder of the can on parts that are either not seen or tools etc. The epoxy is "non Brittle" gives effective scratch and stone chip resistance (So the brochure says). As the paint was mixed to my requirements, dull gloss and to a specific RAL colour, I have been pleased with the result, and not overly expensive at 25 euro for 400ml can.

it may seem expensive, but there was enough in a can for two coats of paint and do the complete chassis on a 5" 0-6-0 tank loco plus the buffer beams etc - with 20% left over.

Bob

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
cowells
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest