By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steam Canoe Machinery
29/05/2021 09:44:08

Looking at an old copy of the Steam boat Register (7th edition),

"LAUGHING WATER" LOA 19' 6", compound engine 2.5 + 4.5 x 2.5, boiler loco type 200 psi, 3 blade prop 15 x 25.

HEATHER LOA 17' Beam 2' 10" 3 cal radial 1.25 bore, boiler 3 drum water tubed, prop 3 blade 8 x 8

COUGH LOA 16', stuart turner No 1 (2x2), boiler flash steam 40psi, prop 3 blade 10x15

Thread: Injector LBSC type
29/05/2021 08:10:58

Anyone got a copy of DAG Brown's book they want to sell? I bought a copy a few years ago and lost it (I think that it was left in the aeroplane whilst whiling away 23 hours on a flight to Oz!!).

Bob

Thread: The worst 'upcycling' tragedy ever?
28/05/2021 13:42:40

I guess a pianola would make a fine computer desk, using the pedals to turn an alternator for the laptop power supply ???

Thread: Injector LBSC type
27/05/2021 12:13:32

I have seen the terms 'bare' and 'full'

Bare is SIZE or just less and full is SIZE and a bit more. Looking at the injector here, the cone has to be a stiff push fit so that it doesn't move out of position (a force fit would be too tight for the "slotted cone".

SOD - If I understand correctly, injectors are a little "finicky" and those tight dimensions must be adhered to. having said that, those measurements were by eye from a rule !!

Bob

26/05/2021 17:51:36

Thank you John, apparently my question was too simple! After scouring the MECH site and reading many pages, I still didn't find the answer to my question. Part of the answer is obvious in that the slots pierce the Venturi to allow overflow water to pass via the clack to the overflow pipe, but its not clear (to me) how much material should be left between the 2 x 1/32" wide slots in the combining cone.

Also missing from LBSC's text and drawings is the bore and length of the 5/32" diameter overflow pipe.

Bob

26/05/2021 12:50:26

I am under way in making one of LBSC's injectors for a 5" SPEEDY loco.

It seemed a simpler idea once the body was made to make what was described as a "Slotted Cone" for the combining cone. as detailed in the attached drawing.

Can someone explain what the slots in the sides of the cone do and should those slots pierce the Venturi which passes through the cone?

injectordetails.jpg

Thread: Best place to find a replacement vice?
25/05/2021 06:29:24

As regards IRWIN, how much abuse did you want to put the vice to ? Most second hand genuine Records have seen a fair bit of service and unless you intend to do heavy iron work bending and hammering and generally using the vice beyond its capabilities, that the IRWIN would be a nice small vice for your needs.

I have seen several RECORDS which have been welded after being abused - use the right tool for the job comes to mind!

Bob

Thread: BSW Fasteners
23/05/2021 18:34:43

I don't know where your "neck of the woods " is, but ... A location would help

If just plain csk, turn some hex bolts down to countersunk heads and put a sawcut in the head

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 13:15:14

JA - Pm sent with web site address

Thread: A Welding Problem - Steel Type?
23/05/2021 13:02:28

Have you run out of gas ??

Thread: New use for a slide rule
23/05/2021 11:16:58

It gets really interesting when you use the Log and Trig functions. Dad - 40 years designing aircraft from wooden woders through to TSR2 an Concord(e) never had a digital calculator, and said it was easy to work out sections of stressed parts, rivets etc as you can see the next gauge/ size just to the side of your calculated value.

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 11:12:47

I am also at that stage, after talking to a French paint supplier, he encouraged me to go for 2 pack epoxy from an aerosol can. These cans have a ring pull valve in the base of the can. Pul the ring , give the can a really good rattle and you have 48 hours to use the paint up. Having said that, I have still been using the remainder of the can on parts that are either not seen or tools etc. The epoxy is "non Brittle" gives effective scratch and stone chip resistance (So the brochure says). As the paint was mixed to my requirements, dull gloss and to a specific RAL colour, I have been pleased with the result, and not overly expensive at 25 euro for 400ml can.

it may seem expensive, but there was enough in a can for two coats of paint and do the complete chassis on a 5" 0-6-0 tank loco plus the buffer beams etc - with 20% left over.

Bob

Thread: Flux for soft-soldering stainless steel
22/05/2021 20:26:50

Many off the shelf "rust killers" are phosphoric acid based and will work

Thread: Hydrogen home heating
18/05/2021 14:21:20

I was following the discussion on BBC radio 2 (Other stations are available). Wherby the current gas supply could be slowly turned over to being 100% hydrogen. Gas appliances (Boilers mainly) would be converted / replaced to burn hydrogen. Some installations could even be hydrogen fuel cells producing both heat and electricity.

I get the drift of all this, but how will the electricity be made to produce the hydrogen in the first place? Would the cost to the planet of making renewables outweigh the advantages of clean hydrogen appliances ??

Could we get to the state where we are oxygen depleted as we start to turn it all back into water again ?

Will we be in a continuous fog of mist ?

just a few random thoughts - back to the workshop now.

Bob

Thread: BA sizes
11/05/2021 06:42:43

Make your own up, bit of tube (drilled out to the suit), heat it up and force some steel 4BA nuts down the tube, adjust the fit by hammering to shape. That way, you can make them "deep" to accommodate nuts that are spun onto threaded rod further than the "normal" amount.

I have used car radio Ariel telescopic tube for 8 and 10 BA tubular spanners.

Bob

Thread: Taplin twin
11/05/2021 06:34:08

on the auction site - easy enough to slip the water jackets off and slip some finned air coolers on or swap cylinders for some ED parts  although this one is the 15cc version.

Taplin

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 11/05/2021 06:36:58

Thread: Use of small rotary table limited by lack of end stops
08/05/2021 07:06:27

Mount a low power laser light onto the table and then mark the limits onto your wall or piece of card or what have you.

Thread: Disposing of Gas Cylinders?
07/05/2021 17:32:32

More on this link: Disposing of gas bottles

Thread: Unknown Micrometer make
04/05/2021 06:36:00

Could be an apprentice toolmaker exercise ? This is an adjustable 0 - 6" in 1/2" steps that I "inherited".

micrometer.jpg

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 04/05/2021 06:42:36

Thread: Interesting old chisels
01/05/2021 21:16:48

From its age, I doubt that computer entries existed when the chisel was made. Chris, have a really good look at the engraving. From your photo, it says OC K FORD.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
BOLDON
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest