By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mill X axis
19/06/2019 14:31:07

How would you 'size' a stepper motor. I can find out by experiment, the torque required to move the slide when not under load, and I don't normally put a heavy load on the cutters as the column / quill are not all that rigid. If I took worst case and looked for a motor which was 4X the torque of the unloaded slide, would this be overkill ??

BobH

Thread: What are these wheels /tyres?
19/06/2019 12:03:40

Ride on mower tyres ?

Thread: Mill X axis
18/06/2019 16:30:25

There have been a number of articles of motorising the X axis of a milling machine by DC motors. Stepper motors have become reasonably cheap. Would a reasonable sized stepper motor, controller and ARDUINO type of microcomputer be a way to motorise the X axis (Or any other axis) and at the same time give a positioning system.

I have a WARCO Economy mill that I would like to motorise at least in one axis instead of winding the handle all the time, also experiment with the ARDUINO board.

I appreciate that there will be positional errors from the backlash of the lead screw, but by fitting a stepper motor, I can easily adjust feed rates, implement auto return etc.

Any comments please.

BobH

Thread: water supply
16/06/2019 08:57:38

I see that none of us waste water ! Do you run the tap when you clean your teeth, run the tap to get hot water, then add some cold, how long do you shower for - most people use more water in the shower than they would use in a moderately deep bath (Do you share the bathwater ??) I agree that water storage is a problem and that we seem to let flood water drift away instead of storing it, but like energy, we are a wasteful society, but don't like to admit it.

Have a look at your water bill, we consume on average 60 CuM/year for 2 retired adults. What do others use ?

BobH

Thread: Missing posts
15/06/2019 13:10:11

This morning, I added two postings, one to "Washing machine motor" and the other "How to machine Acetal" - both lost.

Anyone else losing posts ?

BobH

Thread: Gents impulse clock
13/06/2019 09:07:05

Search "Gents" on this site perhaps ?

Thread: power supply
13/06/2019 09:01:28

Just a "heads up" If you like a bit of electronics dabbling, it may be time to grab hold of a few desk top computer power supplies. A lot of the market is going / gone to laptops and old desktop computers are two a penny when out of date. Grab a few before its too late ??

Thread: Material storage fpr Lathe/other machines
13/06/2019 08:48:51

Wait until you work with cast iron for a day or two !

Thread: Rover V8 drilling valve guides
13/06/2019 08:46:08

A day or so ago, someone posted drills - Screwfix Bosch

**LINK**

Thread: Lubrication for open geared Metal Lathes
13/06/2019 08:35:20

Chain saw oil ??

Thread: How to price up and sell a super 7 lathe
12/06/2019 08:42:01

As others, sorry to hear about your Dad. The lathe has one price and as DG said, a picture of the chucks and other lathe tools helps potential buyers. I suspect there are many other tools some which are lathe related and others just workshop tools. These would probably have a combined value of a few thousand pounds. My modest workshop in the wooden shed have a value in excess of 20,000 pounds if they were bought new, so don't let them go for a song. My only caveat to that statement is that if a youngster turned up who showed a keen interest (apprentice or club member) to perhaps look kindly on the buyer.

Thread: Another "What is it?"
10/06/2019 19:45:02

More info

**LINK**

10/06/2019 19:39:52

Hello,

it is a diesel injection pump timing tool (drop timing!) on "in-line" pumps

the banana plug connects to the end of the tool, the crocodile clip on a +bat. and the conical connector on an outlet of the pump

it is not "specific to PL

Ps, translation from the French Panhard club forum

Thread: Reference books
09/06/2019 12:33:37

I wouldn't manage without one of these.

shetac.jpg

2cv prom 070.jpg

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
08/06/2019 20:02:19

Nick, regarding the belt cover and proximity to the slope of the ceiling, I have an older model of this mill/drill and cut the back end of the belt guard off, just behind the rear clips to allow the guard to be removed when the head is at max height.

Thread: tallow sticks
06/06/2019 16:01:27

not quite the same, but we used lard when I was an apprentice. Tends to whiff a bit after a year or two on the bench !

Thread: Salvaging Useful Parts from Printers
06/06/2019 07:56:55

Although 3D printers are getting cheaper all the time, I would have thought that with a bit of electronic knowledge (That I haven't got) an old printer or two would make the basis of a 3D printer. Or use the encoders etc for some other positional device.

Thread: Quicksilver
04/06/2019 08:03:27

In the late 50's, we used to play with globs of mercury, sliding them to and fro along the pencil groove in the desk. Will I die now I know how bad it is for you. The story went around about an airforce lad who was guarding the aircraft stores got bored over a period of time, and used to sit in the stores with a mug of tea, cracking mercury switches like eggs into an aluminium pot. After a few weeks, the pot slowly started to leak, so to hide his missdemeanour, chucked the lot down the loo with some 'serious' consequences.

Thread: What is the correct way to use a split die to cut a thread.
03/06/2019 13:13:50

If you are threading up to a shoulder without a thread recess, cut thread to size with writing towards the chuck. Then turn the die around so that the writing is towards the tailstock and pass the die right up to the thread shoulder. For large threads, I prefer to screwcut with the lathe and just use the die to give me the correct final size /crest / root forms.

Thread: Making a tiny reamer
02/06/2019 19:25:34

Swiss Broaches are good to have - Not strictly reamers, as they leave a tapered hole, but in thin components, the taper is negligible. Ideal for changing carburettor jet sizes by a gnats whisker etc.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest