By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: lathe to vertical mill opinions??
09/07/2021 06:37:23

Plain bearings running at 2000 rpm ???

Thread: Power feeds for Chinese mills
05/07/2021 15:12:26

Why have you gone for a closed loop motor with feedback ? If you are not measuring distances and only using the stepper motor to power your leadscrew, its an additional non required expense. You could use an Open Loop stepper and controller.

Thread: GigaFactory
05/07/2021 10:29:29

Average time for a re-fuel for internal combustion engines 10 mins

Average time for a re-fuel electric 90 mins

So fuel stations will have to be 10 times bigger ? Imagine being stuck on the motorway service station, they will have to cater for 10 times the number of people. Are they planning ahead now ???

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
02/07/2021 15:15:37

Of course Nigel G should have had door opening training with the relative assessment before being allowed to control a door.

When I was at work, I had to report 2 accidents. One was where one of my lads tripped over his own wellington boots whilst walking down a corridor - apparently there was a footwear training course which he was subsequently sent on (Which did not include wellington boots) and on another occasion, my secretary put a staple in her finger (No course available for that) and I seem to remember that the accident report was mysteriously lost - By my secretary!

Thread: Is buying a custom ground tool my only option??
30/06/2021 20:11:07

Braze a ball bearing onto a tool shank and then grind away half of the ball to leave you with a form cutter, but like Jason said, unless you have a "heavy" lathe, it will chatter. You may get away with removing most of the metal with smaller tools and clean up with a form tool. Make 3 tools the way I have explained, but grind one as a LH cutter and the other a RH cutter and the 3rd full form.

Thread: Easy Start
29/06/2021 06:41:33

I have an old (20 years) lawnmower. First start of the season is always difficult. I squirt gas from a gas blow lamp down the carburettor and away we go. Perhaps gummed up rings is the cause of the problem, but why bother stripping it all down, new head gasket, rings, probable stripped head studs when a squirt of gas fixes it ?

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
25/06/2021 15:48:21

As an apprentice at Weybridge, I was lucky enough to "Drive" one. We were taking one out to the engine test park. It was shunted up against the 4 huge "Cullham Mufflers". My job was to sit in the captains's seat with headphones on, not to tough anything until the order came for "Brakes On". - I only had a single test flight in the Vickers Commercial 10 - Stall tests over the Bristol Channel !! Ouuupps, any paper bags on board ?

Incidentally, the BAC 1-11 was the 1st BAC design but the 11th Vickers Commercial (BAC 1-11). Although never built, there were projects for the BAC 2-11 and BAC 3-11.

Bob

Thread: Sat Nav maybe...
21/06/2021 08:05:43

Unless I have missed it, enter "Waypoints" on your satnav ??

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
21/06/2021 06:46:34

I have two left hand drive cars and one right hand drive - Do I get confused as to where the gear stick is or the ignition key/switch etc. You bet your life I do, but never seen any manufacturer issue tech bulletins as to how to avoid these confusions. So far never confused between the diesel ones and the petrol but .....!

Bob

Thread: New Myford owner, have a few questions
17/06/2021 08:21:21

For GFCI, read RCD ??

Thread: What lathe pointers
14/06/2021 16:09:34

Electronic leadscrew and cross feed which could be programmable for simple taper and ball turning and auto retract for screw cutting .

Thread: Replacing a myford ml10 lathe chuck
14/06/2021 06:31:23

I suppose the first question is - What was wrong with the Burnerd chuck ? Normally a superior quality to most other chucks.

Thread: Mancave insulation
11/06/2021 12:52:42

Rob, I have used similar on my house here in France (-14 in winter +40in summer Deg C). Blurb says its as good as 200mm glass wool. Its NOT. Yes it gives a waterproof lining (Guaranteed for 20 yrs). I have since doubled up and put a second layer over the ceilings and marginally better. My workshop also has this space age multilayer stuff on top of 15mm boarding. It helps and doesn't take up much space, but there are better alternatives.

Bob

Thread: Which was the better design of Airship: R100 or the R101?
09/06/2021 20:59:03

I believe the Vickers Armstrongs Aircraft (Later British aircraft corp.) site at Weybridge used the steel framework of one the R100 sheds. The structure housed the mold loft upstairs and the production control department and jig and tool drawing offices on the ground floor.

Its interesting what governments do. When the TSR2 was cancelled, the jigs and part finished airframes were flame cut up and destroyed forever within a couple of weeks of the decision.

Bob

Thread: Into the darkness
09/06/2021 16:51:16

Do you have to have special LED dimmer switches for dimmable LED bulbs ? I ask this as I changed the halogen bulbs for LEDs which sort of work OK, but some of the LEDs on the same circuit can dimly glow when all is turned off.

Bob

Thread: Window on the World?
05/06/2021 11:53:45

The "earthing" of the magneto to stop it working is normal done by shorting out the primary windings. The secondary windings produce the high tension. If this wasn't so, magnetos would have to have spark plug (High tension) cable leading to the cutout switch.

Have a look at most "newer" lawn mowers, there is a thin wire which shorts the magneto to stop the spark being produced. "Older" mowers like the Suffolk Punch Etc shorted out the high tension spark plug.

I see no reason why using a lighting switch wouldn't work so long as the internals of the switch permitted it - Ie: that the switch didn't have some form of lamp to indicate that the lights were on.

Thread: Master key - precision chuck.
03/06/2021 15:24:37

Can someone explain why it makes a difference (It obviously does or it wouldn't be mentioned).

Bob

Thread: What have I done ?
02/06/2021 19:44:25

Interesting, bookmarking ceased to work for me, when I looked at my bookmarks, there was loads of em. Deleted the whole lot off (one by one) and will see if it makes a difference.

Thread: Small drill honing jig
02/06/2021 19:42:17

Another shot of the tool. The knurled knob tightened a rod which passed through the main body. That rod had a 1.5mm diameter hole through it perpendicular to its axis. The bottom of the body has a small "V" groove in it along its underside such that a small rod (Drill ??) could be held to project forward of the body at the "pointy" end. A bit small for holding a graver though. Unfortunately, I have sold it !

watch tool 3.jpg

02/06/2021 06:44:30

Is it a tool like this ?

watch tool 4.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest