By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is Buying a used live steam loco cheaper than building one?
10/08/2019 17:15:36

If you were going to buy a ready built loco, JOIN a CLUB first. talk to the members there. Get their boiler inspector to either inspect the model or at least give you an opinion on second hand boilers. Certificates like other documents are easily forged and leave you with an expensive repair / replacement bill.

Thread: Electrical conducting dough
02/08/2019 12:58:29

Saw this on U t ube, seemed an interesting idea for the kids and wondered if there was an epoxy version that could be made at home. The thought occurred after seeing a thread where someone wanted a tap for an edison thread.

Why tap a hole if it could be 'cast' with EC epoxy. Just a thought.

BobH

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
29/07/2019 06:43:42

IanT, I can't find the Yt video now, but saw one where a groove was ground into a centre punch so that the cutting edge of the point looked like a wood gouge. This was then used to shatter the outer ring of a blind bearing. Note a thick rag was covering the bearing to arrest any flying shards. It only took a couple of 'smart' blows with a hammer to shatter the bearing.

BobH

Thread: not tightening
27/07/2019 19:03:01

Is one of them left handed.

Thread: Brazing Materials
25/07/2019 16:04:54

EasyFlow was that lovely silver solder stuff with Cadmium, you could smell the joint - and more that likely no good for us. We used it mainly for stainless steel hydraulic pipe fittings using Tenacity 5 flux

Thread: Solving Engineering Mistakes
22/07/2019 16:38:38

Superglue a "shim" of metal to the inside face?

Thread: Restoring a magnificent double pendulum regulator.
22/07/2019 16:34:34

Lots of elbow grease but it would be good to hear what was being done, why and how. From the reply it was Autosol, but were the cloths special ? Was there some sort of laqueur that had to be removed first, What if any would be the change in weight after such a large area was cleaned.

A bit more of a commentary would be appreciated.

BobH

Thread: Deburring small items after parting off
21/07/2019 07:14:25

A good idea and easy enough. As a apprentice at BAC Weybridge, we were shown how the skin milled panels for VC 10 wings were de burred on huge vibrating tables loaded with the 20 foot long panels loaded with marble chips and water.

Thread: Threads used on electrical brass fittings
19/07/2019 14:13:30

9/16 x 26 sounds about right, I will give my friend a ring. Anyone live in Lowestoft with a 9/16 x 26 BSB tap ??

BobH

19/07/2019 12:57:25

thanks Jason, PG are 80 degrees but not a 14mm OD (There is a 14mm cable size though). The 80 degree bit may have been just an idea I had. These fittings are often found on thin brass and steel fittings.

The light fitting in question was bought in London, wholesaled from USA and made in China ! What hope have I got of telling my friend what thread he has ?????

19/07/2019 12:29:32

What threads are used on electrical fittings, between a lightbulb socket and a tubular brass support bracket. I am trying to help out a friend (By telephone) who has a 14mm OD thread which is not metric fine, but still a fine thread which goes into a larger light fitting. I have see somewhere that the thread angle may be 80 degrees.

Any ideas out there please ?

BobH

Thread: Faulty LED
18/07/2019 07:48:02

Side lights, brake lights are all driven by the supply voltage of the car, in your case 12volts. You have a connection problem, not a voltage problem. As others say, check the socket / pins on your bulb and especially, check the earting of the socket to the body of the car. If its an old car, this would be my first thing to investigate. On my 6 volt cars, all electrical equipment has its own earth wire.

BobH (Austin 7 and 2CV)

Thread: Piece of Cake
17/07/2019 18:16:58

The guys in Red have White hats, the ones in White have Yellow hats, the guys in blue have Grey hair !

17/07/2019 16:26:27

How to replace your crankshaft, when it weighs 7.5 tons and is in the engine room of an ocean liner.

**LINK**

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 06:33:36

Perhaps it is the 'Turn of the wheel' (TOTW) and like the ancients, go back to Hieroglyphs ??

BobH

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
16/07/2019 17:05:11

Any landing you can walk away from - or use a rope to climb down .....

"caught by a strong wind, preventing the pilot from landing on the runway of the Montagne Noire aerodrome"

low flying.jpg

Thread: Rounded Torx Screw Removal
16/07/2019 07:36:15

Now the head is "mashed" up, try to ram anything in, even a flat screwdriver bit with some epoxy on the end. Let it set for a day and try that. Failing that, with safety goggles on, smash the insert which will leave the end of the Torx screw proud ?

BobH

Thread: Cable Gland?
13/07/2019 15:09:02

Does the probe need to be in the water, or could it be in a pocket that is in the water ? Alternatively, can the gland grip the 4mm diameter probe instead of the cable ?

BobH

Thread: Hello from Belgium
10/07/2019 08:36:58

Julian, See if you can upload some photos of the planing machine as we don't see many on this site.

BobH

Thread: Forging brass; how easy would it be?
10/07/2019 06:28:59

Find someone with a BIG fly press. You would want to give it one big thump as it will quickly work harden.

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 10/07/2019 06:30:03

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest