By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lawn weed and feed. How much is 35g?
21/04/2020 15:54:00

a letter with 3 sheets of A4 is about 20grm

Thread: Whatever happened to...
20/04/2020 17:40:54

And the Corona man arriving in his lorry with sloping sides and all the crates exposed to the elements!

And dog dodo was white - what was that all about?

Thread: CNC Feasablity for small project?
19/04/2020 07:29:50

Investment castings ? What sort of tolerances would you be looking at?

Thread: Airbrush
18/04/2020 16:46:44

Small MIG CO2 bottles are "non Refillable", but would make super reservoirs for an air brush.

Thread: It would happen now!
17/04/2020 09:29:23

Cold showers are very invigorating and use less fuel !!

Thread: Watchmakers arbor
14/04/2020 07:09:09

There was a 1/2" adaptor in the chuck, but decided that it would be better to dispense with that to give better accuracy of location.

13/04/2020 18:00:34

After giving up all hope of finding an 8mm Boley style 8mm collet / arbor with a 5/8" x 11 TPI thread for mounting an Emco chuck, I decided to have a go at making one. The following was how I went about it.

First of all I chucked a pice of 1" steel bar into the chuck and made sure it was well gripped. Faced off the end and put a centre in it, cleaned up the bar down to the finished diameter of the 'backplate', turned to size the chuck register boss and screwcut the 5/8" x 11Tpi thread on the end - checked it against the chuck thread.

cm 1.jpg

Next operations were to turn the 8mm finished size of the collet and 20degree taper. Finally drilled through the full length of the collet with a pilot drill.

cm 2.jpg

After parting off, placed a bit of scrap Al alloy in the chuck, faced off, bored a recess to accept the chuck register on the part machined collet then screwcut 5/8" x 11Tpi through the centre. Next mounted the part machined collet into the Alloy bar.

cm 3.jpg

With the collet running true, the threaded end was turned down to 7mm and a 40 tpi thread cut using a 40tpi chaser, checking thread against the lathe drawbar. Final operations were done on the mill to cut the keyway and put a couple of spanner flats onto the 'backplate' .

cm 4.jpg

Finished 8mm collet / arbor.

cm 5.jpg

Finally, the chuck mounted onto the lathe showing the manufacture of a broach in 5/32" silver steel to be used in making a steam injector for an LBSC Speedy.

Thread: Pulse Jet Carburator
12/04/2020 15:59:06

I had been pondering how to make the reed valves and this guy has the answer :-

Reed Valves

It struck me as a very simple method of doing other "machining" operations in steel

Thread: Inherited lathes
11/04/2020 12:25:00

Hi Adrian, sorry to hear about your Dad. Its always a sad time when you have to dispose of a lifetimes work of collecting tools etc.

Besides the lathes, I expect that there are many small tools which don't look particularly useful, but I expect that there is probably as much value in the bits and pieces as the lathes themselves. To give you an idea, I have a well worn older lathe and an old milling machine. My total estimated second hand value of the workshop is around £25,000. If I take away the value of the lathe and mill it would leave 23,000 for insurance value, so even if I divide by 2 it still leaves a lot of value in the bits and pieces ! If you don't know / can't identify what you want to dispose of, perhaps get someone to dispose of them for you where you would offer a percentage of the sold value.

Bob

Thread: What am i going to make with this scrap
10/04/2020 08:01:07

More scrap ?

Thread: Injector testing
09/04/2020 15:34:08

It may be some time before I have access to steam in sufficient quantities and pressure, but at the stage of making an LBSC injector for a 5" SPEEDY loco.

Is there a way of testing the injector without steam ??

Bob

Thread: Boxford Lathe résurrection
07/04/2020 20:08:08

This is the general manual which mentions the model C - The CSB being the model C Schools Boxford.

Have a look here

Boxford Handbook

http://www.pulse-jets.com/boxford/boxford_know_your_lathe.pdf

Thread: Borehole pressure vessel change
07/04/2020 10:45:45

Go to IKEA and buy a new kitchen ?

can you connect an air line to the hot water inlet and flush the rest of the water out through the "cold" connection. Limit the pressure to just a few PSI although our tanks run at 3.5 Bar (approx 56 psi)

The tanks I have seen have a wall thickness of about 2mm and once out, can be cut in half lengthwise to make barbecue troughs.

Thread: Thoughts for those falling ill
07/04/2020 08:34:59

Help Boris - JUST STAY IN YOUR WORKSHOP. and get well B.

Bob

Thread: DC-DC converter
07/04/2020 08:32:41

Ok, so final result. I placed a 10 uf Tantalum capacitor in the space where the battery went and it seems to read OK. Tried the capacitor on the output pads of the DC-DC converter, but that made no difference, adding a resistor made no difference either, so it seems as others have said, you need to reduce noise at the callipers, not the feed to them.

Thread: Hello and bonjour from france
06/04/2020 15:52:44

Hi Robert, Where abouts in France are you? Have a look at this forum topic, there may be others close to you.

I am in the Lot. dept 46 and building a 5" SPEEDY loco - Slowly...

French Model Engineers

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=48652

Bob

Thread: Boxford Lathe résurrection
04/04/2020 18:26:10

Boxford BUD had a 3/4 HP single phase motor as my AUD has.

Although I agree about not engaging back gear to remove the chuck, the official Boxford handbook recommends this approach.

Thread: Painting
04/04/2020 09:55:00

What paint do you use for your Steam Locomotive and who supplies it?

Thread: Small drill bit in large drill press?
03/04/2020 09:56:16

What we really need is an epicyclic gearbox built around a small chuck such that when you gripped the gear box case, the speed of the drill increased by 6 - 10 times the speed, but I expect that wouldn't be cheap (low cost).

Thread: Counterboring tools?
02/04/2020 08:41:42

Small counterbores - use a "D" bit

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest