By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Identifying Monel metal rivets
27/08/2021 21:05:06

Monel rivets were used to rivet aluminium alloy to stainless steel in aircraft of the 60's - VC10s, 1-11s. I don't remember them being annealed though. Typical use was the interface between stainless and later titanium jet tube and aluminium structures.

Al Alloy Rivets were coloured - Black for Aluminium, Purple for Al Alloys, Green, Gold and self colour were predecessors to the purple rivets used pre VC10 era (Viscounts, Vanguards etc). The Green, Gold and self colour had to be annealed before use and could only be set during certain hours of the day - instant dismissal if wrong colour at wrong time of day. Reason -

Green would be annealed and would grow "harder" after 6 hours and could not be 'set'.

Gold would be annealed and ready 6 hours later than Green.

Self colour another 6 hours later.

I don't remember the exact timings and the above is just an example of timings. Any rivets that had 'gone off' were returned to stores and re heat treated. If I remember correctly, rivets for a job were called up the day before use, each job had its work sheet identifying material, size and shape and quantity.

I worked on VC10 wing build for a short time during my apprenticeship, the riveting noise of 20 fitters or so was loud by todays standards and no ear muffs were worn by anyone (1964). My collection of rivets came from the floor sweeping once the completed wing was taken out of the jig.

Follow this link if interested in Monel rivets on a/c

monel rivets

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 27/08/2021 21:09:26

Thread: Backing up computers across a network
23/08/2021 14:29:42

Just as important and needs documenting and testing is the restore / re-build procedure.

Thread: Steam Outboard
22/08/2021 20:45:37

I wonder if flash steam would be lighter and more compact ?

Thread: Paint high temperature
22/08/2021 17:08:34

Just finding out the hard way !

I have just been painting the smokebox of my 5" gauge loco. Using an aerosol spray paint (ECar ES450) and just a little too much has made a small run in the paint. I left it for about 1 hour and then used wet and dry to remove the run - BIG mistake. The paint is too soft to sand with wet n dry until after baking at 160 deg C for 30 mins.

I should have baked it first, then polished out the run. Live and learn.

Bob

Thread: Jammed shaft key removal
22/08/2021 16:12:05

Good old fashioned PINCERS - they will grip much better than mole grips (Other brands are available)

Oops - just saw Brian's post.

Thread: Is there such a thing as an 'external reamer'?
18/08/2021 08:55:28

Don't worry about the "fit" turn to size (use a stop or DRO for positioning) then light knurl ??

Thread: Design Award
18/08/2021 06:46:58

At least the student got a "Step up in life". But I am not sure what the design committee were thinking!

Thread: Is there such a thing as an 'external reamer'?
18/08/2021 06:43:48

Boring head - You would have to be certain that there was NO play in the tailstock quill for a boring head to be accurate.

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
15/08/2021 14:08:56

What are grass lawn type roofs like ? The old camping cool boxes worked by evaporating water from a plaster type of material.

if you watered the roof, would the evaporating water cool the roof. Can't say how you would apply that to walls and doors though !

Thread: Random Thoughts on Steam Injectors
13/08/2021 16:00:51

"find a copy of Mr. D.A.G. Brown's book"

A PDF is also findable on the NET

Thread: General Aeromodelling Discussion
12/08/2021 06:52:47

Tug - Embarrassed ! Where does all the time go?? Steam loco build, garden track making, Austin 7 maintenance and rallies, House painting, bit of Arduino stuff, general fixit bloke for the village, forgot to say gardening and looking after 7 bee hives.

Its a get around to it kind of thing - but once all the holiday makers go back home, and it too cold for painting, I will shove it up the list.

Cheers - Bob   Ps

love that model - takes me back to when I used to make them, loved the smell of 'Dope" and ether etc

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 12/08/2021 06:53:55

Thread: Use Chequer (Tread) Plate as Roofing Sheet?
03/08/2021 16:15:52

Cut the bit off that you want and flog the rest on e-bay at an inflated price. Go out and buy a new shed ??

Polystyrene - great fire risk, use it wisely.

Thread: Broken window key
31/07/2021 12:40:31

Use an air compressor, with the blow gun, squirt it down the side of the key and see if it "blows" out. I have seen it done on a car lock before

Thread: Death of a scammer
31/07/2021 06:43:26

They should have done - He died in 2017.

**LINK**

Thread: Stencils
30/07/2021 16:03:02

Ever wanted some large numbers and letters the size of car or motorcycle number plates ?? Many plates made from Aluminium, "punch " the numbers out from the backing plate. Those numbers and letters are then thrown away (or recycled). Just ask, you probably get them for free.

stencil.jpg

Thread: Leveling machines
30/07/2021 15:22:21

That's right - no accurate turning has ever been carried out onboard ships !!!

Thread: Boxford BUD Tool Post
27/07/2021 15:09:43

looking at the LATHES web site, it looks like you have an ME10 topslide. Probably the tailstock as well !

Lathes web site ME10

if yours is metric, this may be of interest

nEAAOSwG9pg~Tl9">Metric Topslide

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 27/07/2021 15:15:52

Thread: Tesla fluidics
27/07/2021 11:03:49

This is all way beyond me, but isn't it like eddy currents in a river causing the margins of the river to flow in the opposite direction ?

Thread: Boxford BUD Tool Post
27/07/2021 10:03:26

Also, height over the top of the "Vs" is 87mm (3 3/8) and max swing 4 1/2" over the bed (Less over the saddle).

Looking at your topside, the 10mm is gained as the "Vs" on top of the protractor base are thicker than my AUD. Compare the photos.

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 27/07/2021 10:06:31

27/07/2021 09:57:51

My AUD dims show 25 mm from top of slide to Cl of lathe axis. Seems like you have gained 10mm somewhere.

top slide dims 2.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest