By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: VE Day - 75 years on
08/05/2020 20:23:48

Dave, back in the day, a "Photocopy" was a wet process where a "negative" was produced (the copy that I have) and then positives were run off from the negative.

08/05/2020 16:03:40

japanese surrender.jpeg

You may ask yourself what this is. Its a period photocopy of the Japanese surrender document that arrived in the UK at Heston Airport en route to Downing Street. The director of Heston Aircraft cheekily asked for a photocopy of the document which was approved. Even more cheekily, my father who was the Chief Draughtsman at HAC took care of the wet negative once the dignatories had left! The celebrations were on VJ Day 15th August before the official surrender document was signed and arrived in the UK. History is quite curious.

**LINK**

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
08/05/2020 15:10:43

I like the facia board shelf idea.

Thread: masks and metal band around nose
08/05/2020 15:07:59

Drink cans would be far too flimsy -we use twisted pipe cleaners that do at a pinch

How about 1.0 mm household solid wire, leave the insulation on - a bit stiffer 1.5 or 2.5 - ridiculous 4.0mm (squared)

Thread: Bayonetes
05/05/2020 16:05:30

I have a couple of WW1 Bayonetes - the long ones. Condition not too bad, no rust but no sheaths for them. I guess there are still hundreds of them about and have no 'rarity' value.

My quandary Should I have them destroyed so there is no chance of them getting into the wrong hands, or 'sell' them off to some sort of military / collectable shop?

Thread: Help needed for screws - Fishing Reel
05/05/2020 15:57:28

Any photos of the fish Boris ?

Thread: Failure of Brass Bolts
05/05/2020 15:50:52

Will electric cars have to have an earth array draped behind them in the future ? Or perhaps electrically conductive rubber tyres ?

05/05/2020 15:50:33

Will electric cars have to have an earth array draped behind them in the future ? Or perhaps electrically conductive rubber tyres ?

Thread: Buying a small mill
05/05/2020 08:59:09

Here Here - this is what a typical search throws up, nothing about buying a mill:-

Search Results for - mill

Articles View all results in Articles (17)

These articles include the phrase 'mill' within the Title, Standfirst or Keywords

Forums View all results in Forums (1474)

Thread: Failure of Brass Bolts
05/05/2020 08:55:47

Earth rods over here in France are copper sheathed steel rods or galvanised steel with either a Brass/bronze or galvanised clamp ie: no through bolt and swaged eyelet on the earth wire.

I wonder how tight said" electrician" was doing his nuts up ?

Also I thought that earthing in the UK was often done by the PME sheath of the incoming supply.

Thread: Help needed for screws - Fishing Reel
05/05/2020 07:31:56

When you say "old", what date do you think they may be. The UNF/UNC started to arrive in Britain in about 1950, mainly in the auto and aero industries. I would have thought that fishing reels would not have been "Early Adopters" of new threads.

History of Threads

Thread: Wet\dry vacuum hose
04/05/2020 18:03:42

get a large bore hose and use a smaller nozzle on it. That way, you limit the size of swarm entering the hose.

Thread: Die-ing. Not literally
03/05/2020 16:54:12

I find that you need to press quite hard on the tailstock holder. I happen to have a num 2 morse taper extension holder which I put into the tailstock and then wind the die on using a normal die stock, stop it rotating by letting one handle rest on the cross slide but keep the pressure on from the tailstock, use back gear and sometimes slacken o0ff the motor tension so the drive can slip. Use EN8D which is the free cutting version (not so good for welding).

Bob. 1932 RN

Thread: A free thingy
03/05/2020 16:42:53

Looks like it's for one of these microcontrollers.

**LINK**

Thread: What are you doing
02/05/2020 08:28:51

That's an interesting set of "pliers" there David. Are they special wire drawing grippers ?

For me, I tidied the workshop and then trashed the whole place by planing down lots of walnut to make a cabinet for my grandaughter.

Thread: Brook Cub 1/2 hp Motor - Capacitor or not?
01/05/2020 15:47:13

This one looks to be a CUB. and no sign of a capacitor.

**LINK**

Thread: countersinking
29/04/2020 11:51:21

All of the above, but wood screws don't have a sharp countersunk head (especially cross point heads). If you countersink to get the head flush, then the diameter of the countersunk hole will be MUCH larger than the screw head. You would need a countersink tool the diameter of the screw head which is then sunk below the surface of the workpiece. Also I have found that 'snail' countersinks wander off centre if not done on a pilar drill etc and the workpiece held in a vice or clamped.

Thread: Blot On The Landscape
24/04/2020 14:49:49

That is just a scratch - how about the night skies littered with Musk's satellites. How many is he proposing - 40,000. Its not enough that we have destroyed our planet with insecticides, and goodness knows what else, now we have space trash on a gigantic scale. One can imagine a "space War" where satellites are gobbled up to bring a business down. How long before the dark side holds us to some sort of ransom.

Thread: Whatever happened to...
21/04/2020 16:14:27

Nimble, it was P.Venctachellum - P for pedantic I suppose! Yes I remembered those tubs when at boarding school, different coloured tubs for various strengths.

How about proper Victory 'V's full strength, tiger nuts and liquorice root sticks, malt extract and concentrated orange juice from the clinic - small bottle with a blue screw on top (1950 ish).

Thread: Central heating woes.
21/04/2020 16:05:20

How does 'air' get into radiators - the 'air' that comes out is a flammable gas and will ignite. In effect it is your system that will be coroding. Once your system is working, it will be time to put some Fernox or similar product in before it is way too late.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest