By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Knees
29/01/2021 19:57:41

I have had fluid replacement a couple of times. First time they sucked out the old stuff and replaced it with new (2 sessions). and the second time about 3 years later was a single injection of fluid (Without removing the old stuff).

Generally works about a month after the injection for 3 years or so.

Squeak Squeak!

Thread: Automatons
29/01/2021 12:27:10

I need say no more

A writing automon

Thread: General Aeromodelling Discussion
28/01/2021 06:51:42

Ramon, that would be a terrific result, the jet last ran on cup final day in about 1967.

Bob Humphrey

27/01/2021 06:55:37

Pulse Jet Leaf valve - Hi Tug, I made the original leaf valve (petal Valve) out of 0.015" shim stock having borrowed a pair of case hardened steel plates that had been made to the same dimensions as the leaves. The shim stock was clamped between the 2 plates and then filed to shape. The final valve was then surface ground to remove any burrs and bring the thickness down to 0.010". Alas, I don't have the plates now or access to a surface grinder.

Bob

26/01/2021 20:31:20

I made the Aeromodeler Braunner pulse jet back in 1967.It needs a new leaf valve, but how do you cut them out without a laser printer etc ? Would love to get it going again just to wake the neighbours up !!

Bob

Thread: How big Are Your Chips
25/01/2021 20:43:20

ML7 lathe ?

Thread: Driving Trolley
25/01/2021 20:37:24

Now that my 5" Speedy is nearing completion, it was time to make rail track and a Driving Trolley, here are my notes on its construction.

trolley x finished1.jpg

It started with raw materials, 6 x 1" thick steel discs sawn from a scrapped print roll. We have a metal reclaim yard not too distant from here who cut / sold the discs for about 7€ each, at the same time I bought some 10mm Al alloy chassis plates and bearing housing material for another 12€.

First job was welding the discs to the axle.

trolley wheels 2.jpg

then turning and profiling the wheels and brake disc.

trolley wheels 5.jpg

The profile of the bogie chassis plate milled on the Warco Economy mill

trolley wheels 6.jpg

Bike brakes were modified and mounted onto the chassis, bearing housings machined and axles fitted.

trolley wheels 7.jpg

The chassis plates were connected to the tubular chassis with "silent block" anti vibration pillars. This hopefully allows for track deflection curves etc.

trolley x finished3.jpg

And another view of the finished trolley made from 12 and 15mm ply and just waiting for a foam rubber seat. Oh and buffers!

trolley x finished2.jpg

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 25/01/2021 20:39:29

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 25/01/2021 20:46:45

Thread: Air Compressor Warning
24/01/2021 19:08:08

Neil's comment is interesting in that the testing information is all about supply lines and equipment excluding air receivers. It is straight forward. As model engineers, most of us have a compressor, most of us are sitting on a potential bomb yet no one seems to know how to safely test these air receivers. We pride ourselves in pressure testing piddly little steam boilers yet sit on top of a far more lethal system inside our workshops in regular use. Inspection by borescope doesn't really allow us to inspect under 30 years of rusty sludge to determine shell strength.

Has anyone found approved reliable methods of testing, and not the U tube videos that proliferate the net ?

Bob

Thread: Planer Blades
20/01/2021 08:54:16

Grand Designs the other night (Dave ??) guy building house in the UK Japanese style, wanted to use Japanese Spruce. Apparently that blunted saw and planer blades 3x as fast as Scandanavian spruce but its strength was more than double that of Sc Spruce.

Thread: Fast charging anyone?
19/01/2021 09:11:45

Yes, and just imagine the chaos as all roads are ripped up to triple the load capacity of the existing power cables. Electric cars, electric heating etc etc as gas oil and petrol etc convert to electricity - and then the electricity workers go on strike for more pay. Its a case of all yer eggs in one basket??

Thread: Files - what do I need to know
19/01/2021 06:44:23

And once you have bought your files, don't chuck them all on top of each other in a drawer that is likely to get damp.

File teeth are like mini chisels, treat them with respect and they will give you good service. Also look on this site for advice on sharpening old files Sharpening Files

Thread: Communication
18/01/2021 08:18:32

These bells don't require batteries

Door Bells

Thread: Disposable Gas Bottles
17/01/2021 15:42:51

George. B So what happens when you pull the trigger on your MIG set ?

16/01/2021 15:54:35

Renting bottles is expensive, I use about 2 bottles of 2.2l per year at £35 per bottle disposable £70 per year.

Renting a 10 litre bottle is about £90/ year plus £65 for the gas - so gas for 2 years is about £245.

Something has recently changed making MIG quite expensive !!

Bottles are available from Poland - cheap, can't re-fill in France, UK, Lux,Germany etc !! also use non European gauges !! Have a look on e-bay for cheaper gas !

Bob

16/01/2021 11:36:29

Having several empty 600grm and 2.2L Argon / CO2 bottles hanging around, I took them to the local "re-cycling" centre where they were refused. Was told to return them to vendor.

Arrived at vendor to be told, no return without receipt of purchase ! Also I had other bottles from unknown vendors.

I now have the problem of disposal - Do you have the same problem in the UK?

Bob (France).

Thread: Boring bar size ?
13/01/2021 07:11:49

Jeff, whilst working on carbs, be vey careful when drilling as the Anzac has a tendency to grab hold of the drill and go much deeper than you intended. Example, drilling an oversized hole for the fuel banjo bolt !

12/01/2021 06:51:00

If you are not going to machine a standard boring bar, you will be limited by what you can grip in the tool post.

Why not make one to suit:-

Boring bar - home made

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
09/01/2021 19:12:08

Why watch it if you don't like it? Perhaps the ones who moan enjoy a good moan. Plenty of other stuff to watch on the net if you prefer.

Thread: MIG Gas
07/01/2021 19:43:47

That is an interesting read. Thanks DC31k

Bob

07/01/2021 18:39:36

When I first purchased a MIg in 1998, MIG gas for steel was CO2. Now it is Argon 80% CO2 20%. Is this to limit CO2 emissions, or to improve weld joint?

Bob

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
walker midge
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest