By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Arduino multiples
10/02/2021 20:49:08

I have an Arduino circuit for driving stepper motors and using a second Arduino for the display from Electronoobs

**LINK**

The grounds are all tied together, but should the 5volt lines be commoned between the two Arduinos.

The schema in the link shows an Arduino Uno and a second Nano, but I will be using 2 Nanos both being powered by an external 12volt regulated DC supply.

Help

Bob

Thread: Picking up the thread.
10/02/2021 18:28:20

If you are nervous (Like most of us) turn the chuck by hand until you are happy with the engagement.

Thread: General Aeromodelling Discussion
10/02/2021 14:50:20

The kindness of others.

Today the postman delivered a package of leaf valves for my Brauner pulse jet - Many thanks go to Tug and his friend. I just need a bit of good weather now to set up a test bed and annoy the neighbours.

Way back in the '60s, I used straight petrol for the fuel - is this still a good fuel to use?

Bob

Thread: Stuart dynamo rotation
09/02/2021 07:03:26

Is it a DYNAMO ? A/c current, slip rings - dynamo or alternator ???

Oops, I should have read the previous post from Michael!

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 09/02/2021 07:05:35

Thread: How To Post Pictures/Photographs and Create Albums
05/02/2021 11:10:09

Now we need a "proven" app for the Apple laptops.

Thread: EU materials suppliers?
05/02/2021 07:07:45

Morse, have a look at this link for more suppliers

French model engineers

03/02/2021 14:40:29

miss-spent youth painting dope onto various models in my bedroom with windows and door shut - and we think substance abuse is new ??  Oh! and chewing the hardened cement of an old tube of balsa cement.

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 03/02/2021 14:41:20

Thread: Micro rivets
03/02/2021 06:51:28

1) Are you sure the rivets are steel? Strange material for Al alloy riveting. Copper rivets would still not be the best material, but much easier to set.

2) You could epoxy glue the joint to give it strength and then lightly set a copper rivet using 'cranked' rivet sets. Over time, the copper rivet would self colour to match the existing ones perhaps.

3) Never done it, but you could perhaps use a spot welder set at a low current to heat a rivet in situ and set the rivet.

Ps - beautiful model.

Thread: Safety Valve
01/02/2021 16:30:47

The spring holds back the main flow of air (steam not possible yet) up to the set pressure of 90psi, its the weeping which is the problem. I will lower the point where the "spring rod" makes contact with the valve and see what different that makes.

Can someone paste a picture of a G. Smith design SV please ?

Thread: Covoid jabs
01/02/2021 15:42:49

France is in lethargic mode, run out of vaccine and have been advised to try again in 7 weeks time !!

When looking on-line, my local centre is booked to do 165 injections over the next 28 days! (one per hour).

Our local hospital is doing well, they have 4 or 5 stations for the injections and are booked to do 1212 in 28 days (20 week days) so that is about 13 injections for each doctor per day - you could break out into a sweat over that !

Bob

Thread: Safety Valve
01/02/2021 15:34:55

Having problems in making an LBSC safety valve.

Have made the valve for my 5" SPEEDY but can't get it to seal properly to retain pressure up to the required 90psi.

The valve has the conical seat as per drawing, but I don't seem to be able to get the seat perfectly steam tight much over 20psi. At 90 psi, It far bubbles away when testing with air.

In desperation, I have tried lapping with "Brasso" to no effect. What other tricks do you use ?

Bob

safetyvalve.jpeg

Thread: Knees
29/01/2021 19:57:41

I have had fluid replacement a couple of times. First time they sucked out the old stuff and replaced it with new (2 sessions). and the second time about 3 years later was a single injection of fluid (Without removing the old stuff).

Generally works about a month after the injection for 3 years or so.

Squeak Squeak!

Thread: Automatons
29/01/2021 12:27:10

I need say no more

A writing automon

28/01/2021 06:51:42

Ramon, that would be a terrific result, the jet last ran on cup final day in about 1967.

Bob Humphrey

27/01/2021 06:55:37

Pulse Jet Leaf valve - Hi Tug, I made the original leaf valve (petal Valve) out of 0.015" shim stock having borrowed a pair of case hardened steel plates that had been made to the same dimensions as the leaves. The shim stock was clamped between the 2 plates and then filed to shape. The final valve was then surface ground to remove any burrs and bring the thickness down to 0.010". Alas, I don't have the plates now or access to a surface grinder.

Bob

26/01/2021 20:31:20

I made the Aeromodeler Braunner pulse jet back in 1967.It needs a new leaf valve, but how do you cut them out without a laser printer etc ? Would love to get it going again just to wake the neighbours up !!

Bob

Thread: How big Are Your Chips
25/01/2021 20:43:20

ML7 lathe ?

Thread: Driving Trolley
25/01/2021 20:37:24

Now that my 5" Speedy is nearing completion, it was time to make rail track and a Driving Trolley, here are my notes on its construction.

trolley x finished1.jpg

It started with raw materials, 6 x 1" thick steel discs sawn from a scrapped print roll. We have a metal reclaim yard not too distant from here who cut / sold the discs for about 7€ each, at the same time I bought some 10mm Al alloy chassis plates and bearing housing material for another 12€.

First job was welding the discs to the axle.

trolley wheels 2.jpg

then turning and profiling the wheels and brake disc.

trolley wheels 5.jpg

The profile of the bogie chassis plate milled on the Warco Economy mill

trolley wheels 6.jpg

Bike brakes were modified and mounted onto the chassis, bearing housings machined and axles fitted.

trolley wheels 7.jpg

The chassis plates were connected to the tubular chassis with "silent block" anti vibration pillars. This hopefully allows for track deflection curves etc.

trolley x finished3.jpg

And another view of the finished trolley made from 12 and 15mm ply and just waiting for a foam rubber seat. Oh and buffers!

trolley x finished2.jpg

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 25/01/2021 20:39:29

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 25/01/2021 20:46:45

Thread: Air Compressor Warning
24/01/2021 19:08:08

Neil's comment is interesting in that the testing information is all about supply lines and equipment excluding air receivers. It is straight forward. As model engineers, most of us have a compressor, most of us are sitting on a potential bomb yet no one seems to know how to safely test these air receivers. We pride ourselves in pressure testing piddly little steam boilers yet sit on top of a far more lethal system inside our workshops in regular use. Inspection by borescope doesn't really allow us to inspect under 30 years of rusty sludge to determine shell strength.

Has anyone found approved reliable methods of testing, and not the U tube videos that proliferate the net ?

Bob

Thread: Planer Blades
20/01/2021 08:54:16

Grand Designs the other night (Dave ??) guy building house in the UK Japanese style, wanted to use Japanese Spruce. Apparently that blunted saw and planer blades 3x as fast as Scandanavian spruce but its strength was more than double that of Sc Spruce.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest