By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Slotting Tool Design
23/06/2010 08:16:00
have a look at forum - Workshop tools and tooling >  Making Square Holes

Bob
Thread: Diesel fuel
23/05/2010 21:13:00
Thanks for trying,  I may have a quick shot of easystart/paraffin / castor oil.  Its just for a nostalgic run up and to get my workbench all oily again.  Then when in UK,  get some proper stuff.

So I suppose its back to loco making - Diesel was just a little interlude.

Thanks for your time

Bob
19/05/2010 18:17:01
Thanks for that - would appreciate it. 
19/05/2010 16:59:03
Thanks for the ideas.  I live in France so postage is normally out of the question, but visit Cornwall, so hope to see a model aviation show down there one day.
19/05/2010 14:52:39
I have a couple of old model aircraft diesel engines, but can't find a supplier of fuel.  It seems that the only commercial fuel available is for glow plugs.  Any ideas ?

I used to make my own fuel, mixing Ether, Castor oil and paraffin in equal proportions,  but even ether seems hard to get today.
Thread: Chuck Backplate Problem
14/05/2010 17:45:19
I suspect you have a 2.25 x 8tpi spindle. ie 2.225 inch would be the diameter over the crest of the thread??

The Logan 11 inch had a 2.25 x 8tpi  try Tony@lathes.co.uk

Also the Southbend 10L (Bit of a rare USA beast)

But be carefull,  the spindle nose boss diameter is important as this locates the backplate.  I you cant find a backplate, try one of the engineering services in the back of Model Engineer magazine.
Thread: Boiler stays
01/05/2010 17:26:54
Thanks for all that info - makes it a bit clearer - Bob
30/04/2010 18:20:28
When rivets are used, are they just silver soldered in or does the small end have to be set before silver soldering. 

Why are threaded stays used instead of rivets, or studding used ?
Thread: Speedy Con Rods (5 inch)
16/04/2010 18:56:20
I appreciate that Speedy is a bit 'old hat' these days, designed in the 50's.,  BUT

Has anybody had problems with the dimensions of the conrods.  The drawings state 7.5 inch centres on the bearings, but if this dimension is used, the crossheads would hit the stuffing glands by more than 0.125 inch. The original drawing dimensions would have the above problem,  and the revised Don Young drawing 2A would be 0.187 inch.  Don did not revise the con rods on the drawings I have.

I base my measurements with the assumption that the stuffing gland would be proud of the cylinder cover by 0.375 inches (Allowing about 0.125 inch of adjustment of the gland to compress the stuffing as it wears).

I would be interested to hear from other Speedy builders / owners

Humphrey.robert@orange.fr
Thread: Handle length for Adept No.2 bench shaper.
10/04/2010 17:18:53
I had a 2A years ago when I was an apprentice - it was jolly hard work,  and my mate drew up the drawings to motorise it in 1968 as an exam project. Sadly, we never motorised it, and I sold it for £30.  As I remember,  the handle was about 24 inches long.
Thread: M E Threaded Hex Bolts
08/04/2010 21:43:58
I am looking for a supplier of 1/8 inch x 40 tpi hex steel bolts (M.E) - Any ideas please.
Thread: making square holes
08/04/2010 21:31:42
Perhaps you all know this,  but I needed to make a square hole in some loco crossheads.  First I drilled the holes to same diameter as the square hole.  Then silver soldered a piece of square HSS (smaller section than the drilled hole)into a piece of round stock.

Mounted this 'new tool' into the mill drill,  and used it as a broach, gently shaving off a little each stroke.
Thread: Speedy 5 inch valve gear revisions.
05/04/2010 15:56:04
Thanks David.  I now have the sheets 1a and 2a which detail D.Young's mods (Un dated).  The complete set of drawings are at revision 3.  So I guess this just about closes this thread - unless somebody knows any more !
01/04/2010 12:41:32
Apparently, looking at the web site above (Chris B's response) Don Young, Don Ashton and KN Harris had a bash at improving Speedy by altering the piston valve dimensions for lap and lead.  I am too much of a beginner in this dept.  but would like to take advantage of any improvement at the early stages of my build. As you say,  wether this was ever documented in ME or LLAS,  I don't know,  but I bet there is someone who does !!  That's the advantage of a FORUM like this.
Thanks
            Bob
31/03/2010 20:54:29
Chris/Owen - Thanks for the replies.  The Modeleng ....  What a mine of information.  I think that should keep me out of trouble for a few nights as I digest the reccomendations.

Thanks.
31/03/2010 16:28:02
I can't believe that nobody knows anything about this subject.  Any lead would be helpfull.
Thread: Riveting
21/03/2010 17:12:04
Look up AVDEL rivets on the net.  When I were an apprentice,  we used hundreds of rivet clamps when making aircraft panels.  Every other hole had a rivet clamp in it to hold the panel plates together. The 'peg' of the clamp goes through the hole, and when screwed tight,  it clamps all the plates together whilst you put a rivet in the neighbouring holes.  You need different sized clamps for each diferent diameter.
Thread: Has anyone any experience of HQSS tools notably taps and dies?
17/03/2010 19:06:51
I don't know where you would get them,  but when I was an apprentice,  we had taps and drills 'nitrided' when we worked on stainless steel,  and if a coolant was required,  we used ordinary water.
Thread: acid pickle
17/03/2010 18:59:18
I guess it is a bit late,  but sulphuric and hydrochloric acids are freely avaiable from most DIY shops in France,  also many larger super markets.  Sulphuric is used for swimming pools - keeps the bathers nice and pink when the sun doesn't show,  and hydrochloric is for drain cleaning.  Both are normally found on the shelves that are about eye level for a 4 year old child !!!  Vive le france
Thread: Rail gauge tolerance
17/03/2010 18:44:07
So in engineering terms  5 inch gauge is    5" +0.090, -0.000  for straight and bends, opening to the high limit on bend sections,  however through points it should be 5" +0.063, -0.000.

thanks  Bob
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest