By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Welding and Pacemakers
10/03/2021 17:40:13

Use the welder to jump start your heart if it stops ? Alternatively what Jeff says.

Thread: Silver Soldering Flux?
08/03/2021 15:51:36

The old borax brazing flux was just a block of borax and another lump which you ground together with a bit of water.

Flux paste

Thread: Ternplate
08/03/2021 06:40:11

TERNPLATE

Terne coated stainless steel roof panels (Terne coating is a a zinc-tin alloy metal coating process that gives extra corrosion resistance. Terne metals produced acccording to US ASTM A308 are expected to contain alloys copper, nickel, chromium, molybdenum, vanadium, titanium, columbium, and boron, at alloy mixes depending on the specific product requirement.

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 08/03/2021 06:46:09

Thread: mitre saw use for roughing out/ vertical milling mild steel?
08/03/2021 06:37:20

I had an EVOLOUTION mitre saw that was rated to cut wood, mild steel, Al alloy etc. It didn't go so well on HTS re-inforcing bar, so with careful use, it could be used. They also make blades especially for metal, as used in their metal chop saws.

Evolution Saw

Chop saw

Thread: Compressor questions
07/03/2021 14:41:26

And, don't forget to drain the water from the tank by a drain valve which should be underneath the tank somewhere.

07/03/2021 11:37:35

Item 3 - automatic water drain. Drains at low pressure ie: startup. You should also be able to press the bottom brass fitting up to release trapped water whilst under pressure

Items 2 and 1 - Pressure relief valves. These are open to atmosphere on startup of the motors and reduce the load on the motors until they have spun up to speed. It is possible that if they didn't work, that the motor would stall on startup and possibly burn out. It looks like they are adjustable - perhaps for the time delay, but just guessing on that bit.

Although not mentioned, Item 3, the pressure regulator/ condensation filter also has the safety pressure release valve (brass fitting at the side).

Thread: Stepper Motor Protection
07/03/2021 07:19:39

Thanks Joe - I can sleep easy at nights now ! I can disengage the drive from the leadscrew, but I guess there will always be the time when you forget.

The project has been quite an education in both C+ programming and learning technical French for the supply of parts and stepper motors.

Bob

06/03/2021 18:45:32

I have a Stepper controller DM556Y connected to a NEMA 23, 4.3 amp Stepper motor, in turn connected to an Arduino feeding the X axis of a Warco Economy mill. All OK so far.

Question. If the whole unit was powered off and the stepper motor rotated by still being connected to the X axis leadscrew, would the current generated by the stepper motor feed back and damage the stepper motor controller ?

Thread: Help needed, can't release cast iron wheel
06/03/2021 16:08:03

Just another thought - they come slowly these days. I doubt the wheel is shrunk onto the shaft as there is a bearing behind it, so there must be a pin or set screw holding the wheel to the shaft and some sort of key. Assuming this is the wheel driven by the motor? Clean up the outer boss of the wheel and look for some sort of pin underneath all that paint.

If the wheel IS shrunk onto the shaft, it was never intended to come off and you would have to remove the shaft with the wheel attached by removing pulleys etc from the other side. If it was shrunk on, you would need a heavy press to get it off, not a puller.

06/03/2021 14:53:51

I assume that after carefully tightening the puller, heating the hub gently and re-tighteming, you gave the head of the puller screw a good thwack with a 4Lb hammer. Light taps won't do anything. It looks like you have a good purchase on the hub, so the puller must be done up VERY tight - I don't think there is much risk of breaking the hub like that.

Thread: Boxford electrical problem
06/03/2021 14:47:49

looking at other Brook Crompton labels (KP7575), the power is marked in Watts on the left hand side of the second line of the typed printing.

Unfortunately, the KP7575 is the part number of a blank label and doesn't help to identify the motor.

Your label shows 240 volts 1425 rpm, single phase, IP 22 and 40degrees C max

I think I can see the wattage marked at 550 watts which is a 3/4 Hp motor ?? as Noel said above.

My Boxford AUD has a 3/4 Hp motor which is adequate, but lacks power for really heavy cuts but good for most of the time. 

Bob

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 06/03/2021 14:56:08

Thread: Ancient Skills
28/02/2021 16:09:07

This was the question:

How did the Romans produce multiple sets of dies .

I wonder how hard the dies would have to be for gold, would bronze have been hard enough?

Swords were made of "steel" and engraved - had they perfected acid etching enough to make dies of steel?

Thread: Moving warco gh universal into workshop
28/02/2021 11:39:34

Visit you local weight lifting gym - ask for 4 strong men, 2 x strong timbers + straps and carry it up there. You can be the "Banksman".

Thread: Boxford electrical problem
28/02/2021 11:01:06

Graham, search this site "Link Belts" - DO NOT BUY CHEAP is my advice - you get what you pay for.

Bob AUD

Thread: Cutting Oil Fumes
27/02/2021 07:02:10

As an apprentice at Weybridge, we used to pass through the heavy machine shop (Undercarridges and engine beams etc) on our way up to the canteen - loved the smell of that thick brown neat oil the food wasn't too bad either!

Thread: Generator model
27/02/2021 06:56:59

Wasn't it something like:

Eddy Current found Milli Watt in a Field ?

Thread: Inverted parting tool
26/02/2021 19:40:09

What will stop the saddle lifting off of the bed ?

Is the chuck a screw on one ? if so, what stops the chuck unscrewing ?

Thread: Silver Soldering help - crankshaft
26/02/2021 06:50:34

What pickle, did you pickle hot or cold?

For me, the brick behind your flame would have been more effective it it were closer to the work, so that the flame "licked" around the workpiece.

Thread: RCD Tripping
25/02/2021 17:31:27

Hmmm! I had a similar problem on my mill the other day. 3/4 Hp single phase capacitor start. After two resets of the RCD, no further problems. It was cold in the workshop, 4 degrees C, but not unusual winter temperatures.

Thread: A milling anomaly
24/02/2021 17:09:02

Let's assume the cutter thread is the same as the collet Ie not a metric diameter sitting in an imperial collet.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
cowells
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest