By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Metric or Imperial, Fractions or Decimals
21/01/2011 19:19:55
Have a look at the hotch potch plans for Southern Belle (Gauge 1 by Martin Evans).
Here the drawings are in milimeters, SWG, imperial sectionsand imperial fractions for diameters. Threads are TPI in Whit form and Ba. I guess this assumed that many model engineers are tooled up with imperial kit and that linear metric measurements were chosen to suit the scale of 10mm to 1 foot. Working on the basis that we are tooled up for imperial, at our imperial lathe, we turn a piece (Valve spindle) which is imperial on the diameters and metric for the lengths. Same would be true if you had the metric lathe where imperial fractions have been specified.
Surely if metrification is chosen for a plan, then metric thicknesses and threads should be specified.
Whilst criticising the plans, why are steam valves drawn with non captive spindles ??
Apologies to the publishing draughtsman, but in my opinion (for what that is worth) lets have metric OR imperial - I don't think we readers mind which, but not a mixture of both.
Thread: Silver solder or braze
19/01/2011 20:08:57
Hi Richard P - Silver soldering stainless steel - Illegal ??
Not so sure about this advice.
Looking at Johnson Matthey's latest information:-
Their chart shows the Silver-Flo range of silver solders being suitable and
the use of Easy-Flo silver solder flux with Tenacity-5 for larger SS parts requiring extended heating cycles.
The silver flo range is Cadmium free (Cadmium bearing silver solder is not illegal, but not advised).
Hope this helps.
Thread: Case Hardening
18/01/2011 17:57:06
I have just read the rear cover of Model Engineer (Thursday Dec 19 1946.. 6pence) - those were the days. 
There is an advert for FLUXITE soldering past which says it can be used for case hardening and tempering steel.  I wonder how that worked,  and would it work with todays composition ?
Thread: Using Butane
07/01/2011 18:51:32
I think I would start by blocking off those holes and gaps above the roller door,  then go to a charity shop and get some good thick blankets,  and section off that part of the workshop you want to use.  I find that machines get pretty cold and its like having an iceberg in the room with you.  I have used an oil filled electric radiator 1000w left on low all night helps the warm up next day.  Just how much do you want to use on energy ??

Wood burners are great, but you need plenty of free dry wood and they need topping up a bit too often - but they are good fun.

Insulation and draft stopping should be your first job.

Thread: Rulers - my pet peeve
02/01/2011 20:54:46
John,  quick,  check out E-bay  Item number: 350414102041

Rabone CF 49 is up for sale - its the satin one with a hole in it.

Good luck
02/01/2011 20:37:20
Hi John,  I have a Rabone Chesterman  300mm rule CF 49  to Bs 4372 square ended satin finished stainless steel.  -easy read for pensioners.

One face is in mm,  the other in 1/2 mm graduations.  The top reads right to left (albeit upside down) ,  the bottom left to right.  It has square ends -and its all mine !
Thread: New Year's Resolutions
02/01/2011 19:51:21
In the 'Old Days'  tooling was included in Model Engineer - now we have to pay a separate subscription.  I for one would like to see the odd MEW article in ME - perhaps MEW readers would like to see the odd ME article.  Would it be possible for both camps to be allowed to access the digital subscriber archives of both ME and MEW - surely the publishers could be a little more generous in this ?

Also, being an overseas subscriber, we are excluded from all competitions, But why are we excluded, as I am sure that if we won, we would be prepared to pay the additional cost of postage.
Subscription offers etc. - there are no benefits for loyalty of overseas subscribers.

We do accept that because our mail lags behind domestic mail, that often small ad offers have gone long before we open our post, so perhaps be a little more charitable with your future offers.
Thread: Superheaters
23/12/2010 18:59:17
Bill Steer wrote an article in ME  4369 Jan 2010 and 4370 where he used a SIFBRONZE brazing alloy.  Article shows brazing jigs, tube cutting angles and gas torch used etc.
Thread: Boxford spindle speeds
10/12/2010 18:11:01
Just been outside to the workshop.  Yep,  my model 'A'  AUD - III- 18993  has its original speed plate as follows:-

Un-geared   1400  850   540   340   210
Back Gear      270  165   105     66      40

Having checked a few speeds with my rev counter, they are in the right ballpark,  with a fast seed of 1406 (282 back gear) and lowest were 228 (44 back gear).

The model 'A' has the motor in the cabinet underneath the lathe bed.

10/12/2010 17:28:44
Update.  Have a look at this site:-

The speeds are contained within the text.
10/12/2010 16:43:13
I have the BOXFORD    Know Your Lathe manual for the AUD and model 'A,B and C' lathes, and there is no mention of spindle speeds.

I have an AUD,  and will put the tacho on it  tomorrow if you like.

Incidentally, the above manual explains screwcutting, thread sizes, morse tapers, pullies in its 116 pages
Thread: Fluxes
09/12/2010 16:43:17
Off topic / On topic,  I don't know,  but the topic is FLUXES. 

For lead soldering stainless steel, use Phosphoric acid - Jenolite does well as a flux, but be carefull of the eyes, and if using a lot, do it outside as it doesn't improve your tools when it condenses on them.
Thread: drilling paper
06/12/2010 19:23:54
Hollow punches seem like the way to go - Thanks
Thread: Clutch in push rod to disconnect drive?
05/12/2010 20:03:20
Could the rod be made into a piston/cylinder arrangement, with a relief valve opened to stop motion, and closed to 'lock' the cylinder, using oil or something to hydraulically lock it.

I have seen electro magnetic clutches working off 24v Dc, but perhaps you wanted a mechanical soloution.
Thread: drilling paper
05/12/2010 19:57:29
Any ideas for drilling 1/4 inch holes in a wad of paper of about 60 sheets ?
Thread: Band saw conversion
05/12/2010 07:38:42
All good stuff and thanks for your thoughts.  I did wonder if anyone had experience of using the speed controlled wasing machine motors, which part of the electrics is used for the motor,  and how much power these motors generate ?

There are plenty about as the ladies do like a new machine well before the motor gives up.

Back in the 70s, I made several saw benches up from washing m/c motors (and no electric control).  I just kept connecting the jumble of wires up until I got the right speed  and direction.
Thread: Drill bit types
04/12/2010 16:03:54
Never come accross a rolled drill bit, just plain machined, and machined with clearance lands right the way up the drill on the edges of the spiral.
Thread: Cheap source of mild steel plate
01/12/2010 18:17:22
My stockholder doesn't do flat plate,  and the next one is about 80Km away.
Thread: Band saw conversion
01/12/2010 18:14:26
Just checked, DEWALT 739 varies speed between 330 and 800 M/min.

Cor,  eventually found the Pop mech Nov 43 article - good idea.

Speed control was dismissed in an earlier request for information as the power would deminish long before the speed did, leading to burn out.  My motor is 750w (about 1 Hp).

But thanks for trying guys.

Bob
Thread: Cheap source of mild steel plate
01/12/2010 12:29:24
Visit your local steel stockist,  and beg some offcuts of steel hollow box section with a wall thickness the thickness you want.  Get it home and chuck each piece onto your open (or closed) fire, bar b que or bonfire.  Get them up to red heat for a while and let them cool slooowwly. This should stress relieve them.

See the forum tip "Cutting steel plate"  and cut the box section along its length giving you some nice bits of metal.  Why cook them - if you don't,  they curl up like a banana as the rolled stresses are relieved.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest