By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New workshop - your recommendations
15/10/2013 22:08:31

And another point. Make sure you don't get absorbent flooring like mine. You spend a few hours making a very small detailed part and it leaps out of your hand never to be seen again - until you make a second one. And of course, these things are non magnetic.

Thread: Plane screw
15/10/2013 22:04:25

Thanks for the info guys - You can always rely on someone on this site coming up with the answer.

BobH

15/10/2013 17:38:22

Just been asked to make a 7/32" 20Tpi BSW screw for a STANLEY wood plane. No real problem, screwcut then chased.

Question. Why would a manufacturer choose 7/32" x 20Tpi when the norm for this size is 24Tpi. Admittedly, the thread was in cast iron, but then, that was one of the reasons for the BSW verus BSF ?

7/32" was a non prefered size as it jumped from 3/16" to 1/4"

BobH

Thread: morse taper sticking
14/10/2013 15:29:52

Problem of using a pair of wedges (If not used in the hole of the quill) is that they can remove the chuck from the morse taper tang, leaving the tang still stuck in the quill.

Thread: Workshop size
12/10/2013 18:47:31

I find the thing that gobbles space is material and come in handy. If I had the space, I would have a division in the shed with a separate door for the material bit. This would give you one extra wall for hanging stuff on. It also means you don't have to heat up the store shed.

My workshop is only 4m x 3m, so I have to limit myself to the machines and size of project, some tools (wood working) have wheels on them, metalworking tools are mainly bolted down.

Workshop is insulated concrete floor (consider electric underfloor heating ??), 24mm wooden shiplap walls, double insulated and tiled roof. Center of the workshop roof is a 6Kg automatic powder fire extinguisher, plus a CO2 extinguisher by the door.

Sweet dreams

BobH

Thread: The tool ya gotta have!
12/10/2013 09:10:36

For me, a good solid workbench with 2" thick oak worktop. I use it for metalwork, wood work, repairs etc etc. I also have a piece of hardboard the same size to protect the surface sometimes and a piece of thick cardboard I use when stripping an engine down. Yep, a good workbench that is free of odd jobs, bits and pieces and general rubbish.

Thread: worried
03/10/2013 12:54:26

Has anybody 'caught' ADSERVE malwear since the new style web page has started. Most annoying as adverts pop up all over the place in new window pages.

Thread: Knurling tool - which one to buy
03/10/2013 09:26:38

Do you want straight or diamond knurl? I don't know if there is a tool where you can easily change the wheels. I have both the pinch type and the push type. For smaller diameters, the pinch are (in my opinion ) the best, for larger diameters, then the push type are necessasary.

BobH

Thread: Does anyone use the 'My Friends' feature of this forum?
03/10/2013 09:21:42

Now what would be really usefull is if you could have a list of 'Keywords' Like Boxford, Speedy, Superheater etc. lodged onto your user profile. Then any new article with one of these keywords in it would activate a message or e-mail to the user.

BobH

Thread: 3D Printer On sale in Currys for under 1,200
02/10/2013 16:59:44

By chance, I have just read the pullout mag from the ECONOMIST Sept 7 - 13 2013 Pages 11- 13, where in China, they are Printing wing 'spares' on a 12 meter long printer (Blimey, did they mean wing SPARS), fuselage frames in titanium. An F18 fighter has 90 parts 3D printed and the F35 a wopping 900 parts that could be made this way. Materials include ABS, metal and ceramics making it possible to make printed circuits - Real ones.

I wonder when we will see a copper boiler made this way ?

Bob H

Thread: Using a rotary table
02/10/2013 12:15:07

If your chuck is of the screw on type, make sure it doesn't 'unscrew' whilst you are milling.

Thread: Carriage stop..................
30/09/2013 16:25:39

Here is a left handed vernier

**LINK**

30/09/2013 16:22:15

is there such a thing as a left handed micrometer - Its probably what you want, then modify it.

Thread: Corn Flakes
27/09/2013 13:06:24

Didn't know milk was magnetic

26/09/2013 11:42:09

Saw it on telly - and it amused the grandchildren.

Float a couple of Kellogs cornflakes (Other brands are available) onto some milk, and drag them around with a magnet. The added iron in the cornflakes are attracted to the magnet. Even better if you have a powerfull enough magnet you can operate from under the table - I guess you could use electro magnet and reverse the current for clever effects !!

Thread: Any uses for a big chunk of spring steel?
26/09/2013 11:36:59

They make good planishing irons for car bodywork, cut them down with an angle grinder / cutting blade. I put a thin cutting disk in my bench mounted circular saw and use it for cutting tough steel. Watch out for max permitted revs etc and make sure there is not too much sawdust to catch fire. Check for fire ignition before you shut the workshop up for the night.

Bob H

Thread: Removing hardened Cement from Metal
25/09/2013 08:40:48

Re Hydroflouric acid - I read, understand and agree with all the warnings, and so should the rest of us - However, when I was at school in the 50s- 60s, this acid was kept in a glass bottle with a thick layer of wax around the bottle, and kept on the shelf with the other acids. I can only assume that it was a weak mix, but what would HSE say about that these days !!

Thread: More good machining videos
19/09/2013 16:30:46

Now Andrew's link - That's different.

19/09/2013 16:25:59

Does this guy make a living?? I went back to the workshop to watch the paint drying !!

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
06/09/2013 18:36:09

Something a little different. I have a 6/12volt battery charger which has never performed well. When charging, the O/p voltage is 5.8 / 11.75 although the charge rate seems OK. At the end of the day, the batteries (Lead acid) are never fully charged. Now I thinks to myself - alternators charge at 14.5v.

Inside the charger, there wern't any tappings to change the input voltage, the bridge rectifier seemed OK. What to do? I had a roll of 1.5mm dia copper wire (retrieved from some old bit of kit), so added a further 20 turns onto the secondary of the transfoemer. BINGO, the output voltages climbed to 7.2 and 13.4 - Just the job.

Now, what was I really going to do today?

BobH

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate