By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pulley removal help needed please!
03/07/2020 11:19:36

looks very similar to the old Warco Major/Complex /Economymilling m/c. Ie: remove the big nut at the top of the quill and pull the pulley off. I did this on my WARCO ECONOMY mill , had to use a 3 legged pulley puller with care and some light tapping on the bolt in the pulley puller.

Thread: TOOL BOXES
01/07/2020 06:36:46

+1 for Bisley drawers also OLD Kardex file drawers, only 5/8" deep but ideal for marking out tools, taps, dies,reamers,specialdrills,silversolder rods etc etc

Thread: Hard Surface on Black Mild Steel?
27/06/2020 08:26:21

Nigel, when we made LARGE jigs and fixtures for aircraft wings etc, we used quite small studding to keep joint faces aligned, then poured a hard setting plastic resin between the faces. Ie the studding took minimal load and the plastic resin made the incompressible "shim".

For a big lathe,  it could probably stand on 4 x 1/2' levelling studs then fill the void with cement ?

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 27/06/2020 08:27:35

Thread: Boxford motor help
24/06/2020 11:18:56

Just an aside, if the Op doesn't know an awful lot about 3 phase, 440 volts etc etc, perhaps remind him that it CAN be a more lethal combination, more so than the standard 240 volts. Sure 3 phase VFD gives a smother ride and any variable speed can be selected, but for a casual user, the extra money for a 3 phase system would be better spent on tooling in my book. Its the old chestnut comparing a Myford to any other lathe - there isn't an answer. Its what fits your pocket and what is available when you go to purchase.

Ps,  Search This Site for VFD and look at all 96 entries - quite a few failures there !

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 24/06/2020 11:22:13

Thread: Bedford Files
23/06/2020 06:44:16

Was the 3" a description of the radius / diameter of thereunder profile ?

Got a lathe? Turn up some wooden ones. Wood chips won't spoil your metal working lathe.

Thread: Weeds in a 'lawn'
21/06/2020 18:00:01

Mow your "lawn" 3 times a week during the growing season. Set the blades low, leave the clippings where they fall. Don't use weedkiller. Weeds won't survive, moss won't get the protection of long grass and die off. Ignore usual advice and give it a go. We converted a field to a lawn in under 2 years. The mower set low will chop off mounds of soil and re-distribute it evenly.

20/06/2020 21:34:07

Unless you happen to have 3 phase at your workshop, then the single phase motor installation is much cheaper. Going the VFD route, you need both the VFD and a 3 phase motor, and like I said, VFDs come with their own problems.

Thread: UNF reducing bush
20/06/2020 16:49:02

I wouldn't discount a helicoil, agreed 14/16 tip mismatch is not the best, but a compromise may work it all depends upon how much load you need to put on the insert, do you need to undo the joint often etc etc. Perhaps more info on what you are trying to achieve would help.

Thread: Pesky Government Announcement!
20/06/2020 15:46:33

Years ago, I worked for Cincinnati Biggleswade and in charge of IT at the time. Under my remit, this included telephones, telex, FAX (you detect this was some time ago). I was passed these letters demanding payment for a TV licence. Big company site must have a TV, but we didn't.

They stopped writing officious letters when on one reply I stated that we didn't have any TVs, didn't need a licence, but that we had two security dogs and that I attached copies of their various licences. No more problems after that !

Thread: UNF reducing bush
20/06/2020 15:36:14

Helicoil ??

20/06/2020 10:48:21

I have had a Southbend, then an AUD Boxford for 50 plus years 3/4Hp single phase. If you have the money, 3 phase seems to be the way to go, but its only 30 seconds for a belt speed change on mine. Also, there are several posts where the VFD has stopped working - Well its just a matter of more money, I would prefer to spend the money on making things!

If you were doing a lot of large face work using a powered cross feed, then variable speed would be handy...but how often?

On the basis that the model C doesn't have powered cross feed I would question the reason why you wanted a VFD ?

Thread: Injector testing
18/06/2020 21:12:16

Thanks for the update Andrew - I would be interested in a simple design for a test boiler. I have several of the disposable CO2 gas bottles used for MIG welding and thought they could be the basis of a boiler. Being smaller capacity, probably would not need an official test, but suffice with applying the test conditions for self certification.

Thread: Can summer car tyres be used in winter?
17/06/2020 06:38:40

Over here (SW France) we have a love affair with changing wheels for the season. Problem is that the winter tyres get little use and are advised to replace after 5 years (probably less than 1 years use). We don't get heavy snow, probably more frost than anything else. For me, I use normal (summer) tyres and drive carefully.

Thread: Wooden Gears
14/06/2020 16:42:44

I guess it depends upon what size / scale it will be ? If its a model, I would go for Beech Jabroc - after all it is wood.

Will he paint it or rentokill it ?

Thread: Convert PDF to DXF?
14/06/2020 13:08:41

You can open AI and PDF files by using the File > Open command as you would any CorelDRAW file, or you can import them. When you open AI and PDF files, they are opened as CorelDRAW files. When you import AI and PDF files, they are imported as grouped objects and can be placed anywhere within your current drawing.

???

Thread: Problems bending 3/16" dia copper pipe without kinking
14/06/2020 07:41:44

To the above, bend the tube a few degrees more than you want, then bend it back to correct angle. This also help to release the cord inside.

Thread: LED strips
12/06/2020 16:24:22

I was given a 4foot long LED tube light with the replacement starter which is in fact a fuse. The wiring instructions said - remove the starter and replace with the LED fuse (Which is the same shape as a starter). But it hadn't worked for the previous owner, and didn't work for me. No problem, so I took it to pieces and decided it was junk. HOWEVER

The LED strip is a string of 96 LEDs, I put a voltmeter on the output of the electronic gubbins and got a reading of 1 volt DC (feeding 240v to the supply side of the unit) - re-connected the LCD strip to the 1 volt output, observing polarity etc. So that did not light up the strip of LEDs ! I tried 1.5 volt, then 9 volt and gave up after that.

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what voltage a strip like that would need? Would the LEDs be driven in parallel or series?

I ask this before I consign the lot to the bin.

led strip.jpg

Thread: Copper tube bending
09/06/2020 06:48:24

Cerrobend is better as it is harder than lead and melts in boiling water. Find it on various web sites.

CERROBEND

Thread: Boxford lathe advice
05/06/2020 10:35:35

Lucas, my AUD which I have used for 30 yrs or more has a 3/4 hp single phase motor. Seems enough to me. Can't comment on belt sizes for a model B, but I use a Linked Belt for the headstock drive. Buy a quality belt as cheaper ones stretch and you have to remove links on a regular basis.

Download this manual. Know your Boxford Lathe

Seems a strange link, but it works and is a good free reference.

Thread: Non standard taps - what are they ?
03/06/2020 18:56:16

Apparently used in Germany for measurement machines and optical ! Now obsolete.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest