By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Free Electricity
17/01/2019 07:17:14

Another trick, a cup of water in the microwave, and a filament bulb beside it. Run it at 750watts and the bulb lights up - look, no wires! Hardly "for free" though.

Thread: Brazing hearth - Extraction
17/01/2019 07:12:44

Hmm, Spark arrestor - you wouldn't like any sparks going op into the soffits of the roof.

Thread: Free Electricity
16/01/2019 15:26:38

Yes we all know that you there is no such thing as electricity for free and in the attached youtube video, the magnet passing between the two spark plugs is generating some electricity, but there is no circuit ! What is going on, and how can a LED bulb which normally functions off 240volts AC can run off what I assume is a low voltage. Come on you brain boxes - what's happening. Ps skip through most of the video as its a bit boring.
**LINK**

There are a number of similar views, I saw one with a couple of ball bearing races, a couple of small motors etc - that was pretty impressive too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2q_UwD2bvE

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 16/01/2019 15:27:56

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition - Alexandra Palace
14/01/2019 14:48:20

Mick H - I don't know the geography, but I am thinking that you have to change trains somewhere. Sometimes the cost can be reduced by buying 2 return tickets - ie split the journey somewhere. Or drive to Peterborough ?

Thread: Custom shape Electric radiator
14/01/2019 10:51:58

Pkg - How well does reverse flow work when its - 6 deg C or more ?

14/01/2019 10:50:38

Ron, because I have very poor circulation and instead of raising the whole house to suit, keep things at an ambient temperature and have some local heat (seat by the curved radiator) for personal comfort.
Yes, yes - move the seat - but why should I ?

14/01/2019 08:14:04

Hi Jason, logs - yes, but in 10 years time, will they still be CO2 neutral ?? Also, we burn 4- 6 tons of logs a year - Would I still be active enough to lug those inside, and empty the ashes. My curved radiator would have other wall mounted ones elsewhere to do the bulk of the heating. I was hoping for a continuous curved radiator for the aesthetic looks as well as heat output. Looking for comfort in my old age !!

14/01/2019 06:59:45

I am looking towards old age !! Our current heat source is a log stove in a smaller stone cottage, no town gas, bottled gas and oil are expensive and on their way out. When age creeps on, do I want to saw up logs, split, stock, stack them etc - probably not.
It seems electricity is the "Cleaner" fuel. I don't have room for geothermic, and can't afford a deep drilling for heat. Electric panel radiators could be an option, however in the centre of the lounge, we have a round 'island' about 1m diameter, and I would like to support a rad on one face - hence requirement for a curved rad. If I use a CH rad, could I bend the heat element to follow the 600mm radius of the radiator ??
BobH (SW France where winter temps plummet to -16 deg C on a regular basis - in spite of UK government saying we are too hot for fuel allowance !)

13/01/2019 19:58:35

Thanks for the info, and keep it coming. I did wonder if I could roll an existing flat panel oil filled radiator, I may see if I can find one at the junk shop, roll it as an experiment. It may take sometime to find one!

13/01/2019 18:01:11

I am looking for a domestic 240volt electric radiator which has been rolled to give an inside radius of about 600mm, height 300mm and length about 1000mm. Has anyone any experience of companies who can make a one off, or ideas etc.
BobH

Thread: First attempt at threading on a bantam - all didn't go well
12/01/2019 13:23:19

Not sure EN16 is the easiest steel to learn screw cutting on. Try a bit of EN1B which I believe is free cutting mild steel - lovely stuff to turn.

Thread: Hole cutter
12/01/2019 13:14:41

Further to my last post, I would use a series of boring bars, cutting a depth of 1/2" at each stage and then only cutting 3" into the bar from each end - a bit like the channel tunnel !! Thats 36 tool changes for a 6" length and still quite a lot of swarf, but not as much as boring out the whole lot. Again, you will need to use coolant. See attached photo. The cutting edge of the tool needs to be ground back along its long axis by 1/2" and you would trepan a cut 1/2" deep with tool number 1, followed by tool 2 and 3. Then repeat for another 1/2" with tools 1,2 and 3. When you reach the half way mark, turn the bar around and bore from the other end. Note that tool number 1 is the narrowest tool being only 0.1" wide which can be made stronger by having a radius on the inside face of it and should well within the capabilities of your lathe.

img_3462.jpg

12/01/2019 12:42:53

Stephen, before you buy a hole cutter, how will the swarf get past the teeth. With stone and concrete etc, it is a fine dust and slips past the teeth, but in your application, the swarf will be too bulky to get past the gullet of the teeth. You will have to keep backing off the cutter to clear the scarf. Aluminium has a nasty habit of cold welding to the cutting edges, you will need plenty of coolant whilst cutting.
Faced with your problem, I would grind up some special boring bars. I will do a another post with some ideas, perhaps Andrew or Jason would comment as to wether they would work.
BobH

12/01/2019 07:29:16

a 3/4 Hp motor at that diameter in Al should take off more than 0.004" depth of cut. My Boxford would take about 0.1" . This not bragging, and doesn't answer your question, but I would seriously wonder if your motor was up to producing 3/4Hp. Daft question, is it wired up correctly and not just running on the start windings ? As for a hole cutter, if you can't take more than 0.004", then the width of the teeth will be about 0.03" - 0.05" so that would take far more power than you have available ?
Good luck anyway
BobH

Thread: Split die cutting undersize
09/01/2019 17:33:31

for 1/2" and upwards, I would probably screwcut to near enough and use the die to clean up / get the correct root / crest forms.

Thread: Editing posts and other ideas.
09/01/2019 07:10:27

Apple CONTROL + RETURN
Control+Return
Control+Return
Yep, that's the way to do it on my APPLE

Oh, and a double ctr+return before you add a photo from your album

Thread: what solvent cleaner to use?
07/01/2019 06:55:04

For cleaning filthy car bits (30 or more years of muck) - soak in diesel fuel for a week, then power wash, then TF90. I have tried those water soluble de greasers which work for light stuff, but diesel fuel soaks in better.
BobH

06/01/2019 19:56:21

Good old days of trichloroethane - cleaned everything, lungs, kidneys - well almost everything. That was followed by Genklene - which was followed by .......TF 90.

BobH

Thread: Workshop headphones
03/01/2019 12:03:24

My hearing aids are Bluetooth - Its a bit late for ear defenders now !!!

Thread: what tool is this?
02/01/2019 07:09:03

Lantern Chuck ? or parts of one
**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Shapiro
emcomachinetools
Sarik
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest