By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: stamford show vandals
20/05/2019 15:09:12

Thaiguzzi. De-forrestation, Palm oil plantations ....... its all vandalism.

BobH

Thread: Cutting a worm?
20/05/2019 12:04:36

Not quite what you asked for, but have you considered the worm and wheel off older style windscreen wipers. The worm is a flexible cable with a spiral spring on the outside of it.

Thread: Thread Pitch Info.
18/05/2019 19:35:20

What was the Southbend thread ? My 'Southbend" backplate fits my BOXFORD and as the Southbend is American, I assume the thread to have been 60 degree 1.5 x 8 tpi.

Thread: Adhesive Storage?
18/05/2019 07:10:00

And don't put PVA glue in there as it is damaged by frost.

Thread: Antique Steam Engine from Doorknob
16/05/2019 06:39:36

If it needs fixing, and you don't feel that you can, someone on here would be proud to fix it for you.

Thread: Cutting steel to size
13/05/2019 06:37:24

So what do you use for flat plate? I had to saw up some flat plate 11" wide and 4mm thick the other day. Used my jig saw with a metal cutting blade and a little bit of ROCOL cutting oil . Did the job quite well.

Thread: A dynamo question: rotation direction?
11/05/2019 20:30:53

+1 for change the voltage regulator. Loads of info on Cornwall Austin 7 site.

Thread: Cutting steel to size
10/05/2019 08:34:01

I have an Evolution chop saw - By gum it works. Do wear full eye protection and gloves as the chips fly off hot and in your direction. Have to admit that cutting High tensile steel reinforcing rod hasn't helped the blade much, so I would stay away from lots of that, but for mild steel, Al alloys etc it cuts like butter. However it has its limitations on width / diameter of work and its not so good on flat stock which is at maximum width (Evolution advise gripping plate vertically to minimise number of teeth in contact at any one time).

If you had the money, a vertical bandsaw which could be used for cutting steel plate / sculpting etc would be my choice, but probably 3 times the cost.

BobH

Thread: Pulse Jet Carburator
09/05/2019 17:30:16

Yes Tim, I ran mine up on cup final day one year. Our neighbour who had been bombed by a V1 came running outside in sheer terror.

Thread: French model Engineers
09/05/2019 17:27:30

TC, I wonder why I started this forum stream ? Lived here in France for the last 15 years and well integrated with our community - never had a bad experience. Too bad that you have.

BobH

09/05/2019 15:39:36

Well well well - Bit of a nasty comment about the French and a bit uncalled for especially on a Forum stream trying to encourage French modelers !

I don't know what "Weary" wants, but there seems to be loads by searching Google:-

**LINK**

BobH

Thread: Pulse Jet Carburator
09/05/2019 06:48:14

I have the plans from the Model Aero Engine Encyclopedia 1959 showing the Brauner Pulse jet. PM me if you want a copy. My problem is finding someone who could laser cut the petal valve disc from 0.010" - 015" shim steel.

BobH

Thread: Soft Solder v Silver Solder
08/05/2019 14:05:27

This makes it clear then :-

**LINK**

08/05/2019 13:09:22

GOSH !! I thought lead solder was banned ?

BobH

Thread: DRO for Boxford Lathe
05/05/2019 16:01:51

Today, I moved the RW Electronics MPS DRO from the mill to the Boxford AUD lathe. The DRO is a 'pull wire' system which has seen me good for the last 18 years or so on the milling machine, but as I hope to install a different system on the mill, the MPS 'came free'.

I didn't want to extensively modify the Boxford or spend too much time installing it. At the rear of the saddle, there are two un machined pads that would take a couple of 2BA bolts to mount a bracket onto, but as I have no access to the rear of the lathe, I removed the saddle by removing the rear slideway locking plate, the front saddle lock screw, the Thread indicator and the 2 hex cap screws that attach the saddle gearbox. This leaves all the leadscrew, feed gears etc in place without disturbance.

As accuracy isn't an issue, I drilled the two holes with a battery drill and tapped 2BA. At the same time, I drilled and tapped a 6BA hole adjacent to the Topslide Locking grub screw which the free end of the MPS wire would attach too. Again, nothing fancy and did it by eye.

I folded up a bit of 16 SWG plate to make the bracket for the MPS, drilled it to suit the centres of the 2BA screws and a couple of 1/8" diameter holes to suit the existing cover holes of the MPS.

I re-installed the saddle and fiddled to get the saddle lock screw back in.

My first attempt on mounting it all together showed that the tailstock lever fouled the readout, so I turned up a couple of spacers about 5/16" thick to place between the rear of the saddle and the mounting bracket.

The pull wire needed a pulley to change the direction of the axis of the wire. Lucky to have a small shouldered bearing in the come in handy box, machined a block of Al alloy to mount the bearing onto and then superglued the bearing block onto the bracket.

And that was about it ! A bit of electrical work to take a 9volt supply from the existing RPM display.

These modifications still allow use of the travelling steady and full use of the gib screws and minimum fouling of the tailstock / saddle.

rw electronics dro1.jpg

Finished job showing the line of the 'pull wire' and blue crimp connector at the free end

rw electronics dro2.jpg

Bearing and mounting block

rw electronics dro3.jpg

Free end of the pull wire and blue crimp connector held by a 6BA screw

rw electronics dro6.jpg

Upside down photo of the mounting bracket - perhaps a bit flimsy, but it seems to do the job. Note cutout to clear cross feed screw and nut.

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 05/05/2019 16:04:19

Thread: French model Engineers
30/04/2019 09:22:12

Stumbled across this site:-

**LINK**

Thread: Lathe Mill Combo setup
29/04/2019 08:32:10

have you seen this post ?

**LINK**

And probably look for something like this to bolt onto your cross slide (Crossslide ???)

**LINK**

Thread: Hydraulic press or fly press
29/04/2019 08:07:45

An arbor press can be made to do "Slotting" for keyways etc which would be very laborious on a hydraulic press.

Thread: Bought a Boxford...
28/04/2019 12:21:29

For an entry level lathe, this looks like its worth a punt. Still lots to spend on chucks etc and little possibility of converting to a screwcutting lathe, but cheap.

**LINK**

Thread: Polishing copper plated cast iron
28/04/2019 12:08:03

I have some cast iron drawer handles which have a raised floral pattern which is copper plated . The copper plate is very tarnished, and Brasso etc doesn't seem to cut through the verdigris. Would buffing be too agressive ? Problem is that there are a set of 30 handles (From an old plan chest) and I don't want to experiment to an extent where 1 handle looks different from the rest of them.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale May 19
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest