By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MT2 or ISO30
15/09/2019 12:48:50

I don't know about ISO 30, but knocking out MT's from their socket does put undue strain on the bearings unless you have a pneumatic / hydraulic extractor on the quill shaft.

Thread: EN40 nitrided repair
15/09/2019 12:46:05

Perhaps look up "hard facing repair" on the net.

Thread: Scissors
13/09/2019 14:43:19

definitely button hole scissors. The ratchet can be set to limit the length of the button hole. They are used when making hand sewn button holes as opposed to machine made ones (I think). Our pair (Hardly used) have a long threaded screw which limits the length of the cut.

Thread: mystery tool
12/09/2019 06:41:57

Similar ones used for removing piles ?

Thread: French Model Engineer
10/09/2019 18:47:18

Bump to help Noveau membre vapouriste

Bob

Thread: Nouveau membre vaporiste
10/09/2019 18:44:37

Aussi, suivez les liens:-

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

10/09/2019 18:37:44

Bonjour Daniel, je suis un vaporiste en SW france. J'ai une locomotive 5" en construction. Envoyer un message a moi si vous besion.

Bob

Thread: Any 5" Gauge Ground Level Turntable Articles or Advice?
08/09/2019 14:41:53

Just be aware that when the "Lazy Susan" gets wet, the bearings will probably rust. I would not start off with that, stick to some sort of car wheel bearing idea.

Thread: Garmin sat nav
22/08/2019 21:20:06

I have a Renault with "MEDIA NAV". This can only be updated on windows computers. Possible if you run emulated windows on a MAC, but I don't want to taint my Mac with windows.

There is an Eastern Block replacement system which purports to have free maps, video player, and all sorts, but I don't have the courage to 'import' it.

The purchased maps are OK, but cost about £100 each year, so mine are well out of date, but still handy.

My gripe is that Renault still believe that an update tool will become available for the MAC even though my car is 5 years old. I just wish they would tell the truth and say that it would not be available for the MAC.

Thread: What 3 Words
16/08/2019 07:37:22

It would not help a visitor in a different country, perhaps someone on holiday. If you were French, you can't pronounce "th" or 'w' easily, and even 'g' and 'j' get swapped about. For instance the bird name jay is pronounced "gee" (with a soft 'g', zinc is pronounced 'zang'. I would not like to give my position somewhere in China, Russia or the like using that countries language.

Thread: strange power socket
15/08/2019 07:02:57

And a plug for your socket

220px-wylexplug.jpg

From Wikipedia:-

Wylex plug[edit]

Prior to the first British Standard for earthed plugs, George H. Scholes Ltd. of Manchester introduced plugs with a hollow round earth pin between rectangular current-carrying pins in 1926 under the Wylex brand name.[26] The Wylex plugs were initially made in three ratings, 5 A, 10 A and 15 A and were unpolarized (the current carrying pins were on the same centre line as the earth pin). In 1933 an asymmetric polarized version was introduced, with line pin slightly offset from the centre line.[26] In 1934 the dual plug system was introduced with the socket rated at 15 A and three sizes of plug, fused 2 A and 5 A plugs and a 15 A plug. The 15 A "dual plug" incorporated a socket with narrower apertures than a standard Wylex 15 A socket, that accepted only the narrow rectangular pins of the lower-rated plugs.[26] The introduction of a 13 A fused plug, rated as 3 kW.,[90] enabled Scholes to propose their system as a possible solution for the new standard competing with the Dorman & Smith round pin solution, but it was not selected and the completely new BS 1363 design prevailed.[91] Wylex sockets were used in council housing and public sector buildings and, for a short time in private housing. They were particularly popular in the Manchester area although they were installed throughout England, mainly in schools, university accommodation, and government laboratories. In some London schools built in the 1960s they were used as low-voltage AC sockets, typically 12 V, 5 A from a transformer serving one or more laboratories, for microscope lamps etc. Wylex plugs and sockets continued to be manufactured for several years after BS 1363 sockets became standard, and were commonly used by banks and in computer rooms during the 1960s and 1970s for uninterruptible power supplies or "clean" filtered mains supplies.

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 15/08/2019 07:04:30

15/08/2019 06:58:09

Special sockets were made for public services. At one time, the London underground had specials and even today, you can find 13 amp sockets with "Blocking" earth pins.

**LINK**

Thread: Where do I buy these, I've looked every where.
14/08/2019 16:50:00

How about one of these ??

**LINK**

Thread: Blown Fuse
13/08/2019 14:00:18

I don't suppose you are machining magnesium alloy, although that has NOTHING to do with the fuse blowing.

Whoops !  Just seen Cornish Jack's post

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 13/08/2019 14:01:35

Thread: Flat bottom hole 3/16 o/d
11/08/2019 11:28:35

'D' drill anyone ??

Thread: Chosing a drill grinding attachment or machine
10/08/2019 20:27:37

Kaindle also make a similar machine for sharpening end mills, it would be great if the same machine did both drills and end mills.

Thread: Is Buying a used live steam loco cheaper than building one?
10/08/2019 17:15:36

If you were going to buy a ready built loco, JOIN a CLUB first. talk to the members there. Get their boiler inspector to either inspect the model or at least give you an opinion on second hand boilers. Certificates like other documents are easily forged and leave you with an expensive repair / replacement bill.

Thread: Electrical conducting dough
02/08/2019 12:58:29

Saw this on U t ube, seemed an interesting idea for the kids and wondered if there was an epoxy version that could be made at home. The thought occurred after seeing a thread where someone wanted a tap for an edison thread.

Why tap a hole if it could be 'cast' with EC epoxy. Just a thought.

BobH

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
29/07/2019 06:43:42

IanT, I can't find the Yt video now, but saw one where a groove was ground into a centre punch so that the cutting edge of the point looked like a wood gouge. This was then used to shatter the outer ring of a blind bearing. Note a thick rag was covering the bearing to arrest any flying shards. It only took a couple of 'smart' blows with a hammer to shatter the bearing.

BobH

Thread: not tightening
27/07/2019 19:03:01

Is one of them left handed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Meridienne Sept 2019
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest