By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boxford Lathe résurrection
07/04/2020 20:08:08

This is the general manual which mentions the model C - The CSB being the model C Schools Boxford.

Have a look here

Boxford Handbook

http://www.pulse-jets.com/boxford/boxford_know_your_lathe.pdf

Thread: Borehole pressure vessel change
07/04/2020 10:45:45

Go to IKEA and buy a new kitchen ?

can you connect an air line to the hot water inlet and flush the rest of the water out through the "cold" connection. Limit the pressure to just a few PSI although our tanks run at 3.5 Bar (approx 56 psi)

The tanks I have seen have a wall thickness of about 2mm and once out, can be cut in half lengthwise to make barbecue troughs.

Thread: Thoughts for those falling ill
07/04/2020 08:34:59

Help Boris - JUST STAY IN YOUR WORKSHOP. and get well B.

Bob

Thread: DC-DC converter
07/04/2020 08:32:41

Ok, so final result. I placed a 10 uf Tantalum capacitor in the space where the battery went and it seems to read OK. Tried the capacitor on the output pads of the DC-DC converter, but that made no difference, adding a resistor made no difference either, so it seems as others have said, you need to reduce noise at the callipers, not the feed to them.

Thread: Hello and bonjour from france
06/04/2020 15:52:44

Hi Robert, Where abouts in France are you? Have a look at this forum topic, there may be others close to you.

I am in the Lot. dept 46 and building a 5" SPEEDY loco - Slowly...

French Model Engineers

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=48652

Bob

Thread: Boxford Lathe résurrection
04/04/2020 18:26:10

Boxford BUD had a 3/4 HP single phase motor as my AUD has.

Although I agree about not engaging back gear to remove the chuck, the official Boxford handbook recommends this approach.

Thread: Painting
04/04/2020 09:55:00

What paint do you use for your Steam Locomotive and who supplies it?

Thread: Small drill bit in large drill press?
03/04/2020 09:56:16

What we really need is an epicyclic gearbox built around a small chuck such that when you gripped the gear box case, the speed of the drill increased by 6 - 10 times the speed, but I expect that wouldn't be cheap (low cost).

Thread: Counterboring tools?
02/04/2020 08:41:42

Small counterbores - use a "D" bit

Thread: Model of an epicyclic gear made by apprentices
02/04/2020 08:37:20

I too lived in Bedford and went around Allens in the 70's - super works visit.  Very nice work by those apprentices.

Talking of large diesels, I used to have (but lost somehow) a super cartoon of a big engine, Conrod poking out of the crank case, oil and steam everywhere and surrounded by engineers scratching their heads. An office boy approaches the boss with a telephone on a long cord and says "Boss - its your wife, she says she has a headache !"

I loved that one, anyone got a copy ?

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 02/04/2020 08:38:38

Thread: New design of mains plug?
31/03/2020 12:00:27

This is a photo of our fuse box for a French 2 bed house. I have to have 3 phase because I have a 950watt under floor heating in the kitchen - REGULATIONS !!!

Besides being 3 phase, there has to be a lightning protection device (which isn't fast enough to protect things like computers and an additional fuse box which services an external electric pump - REGULATIONS.

And not a single ring main or fused plug elsewhere. All circuits are radials with no spurs.

Ps. the mantles are for the oil lamps when we have power cuts.

distributionpanel.jpg

31/03/2020 08:00:49

Bandersnatch - Yes, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to have a fused continental plug as an option. Its the same thing for sockets in France - you can't buy them with a switch, instead you have to have a double gang patrice / box and install a separate switch. Just to make life more interesting on the continent, some plugs have a pair of lugs which engage in slots on the sockets, but French sockets don't have the slots, so Dutch and German plugs won't fit French sockets, but French plugs fit Dutch / German sockets - work that one out.

Thread: Magneto spanner?
30/03/2020 20:19:07

Mine live in the Austin 7, spanner for the nut holding the points onto the post and attaching the CB wire terminal.

Thread: Copper pipe Diameter Reduction
30/03/2020 08:07:07

make a brass solder nipple to fit the 3/4" pipe but with "olive" dimensions for the 22mm fitting

oops,  the cut and paste photo didn't work - look up "Solder pipe nipple". on google

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 30/03/2020 08:08:54

Thread: DC-DC converter
29/03/2020 18:58:26

I started off with a circuit diag for an LM317, but no 317s in the electronics box, but found a couple of L200s. Then I found a diag for the L200 and away we went, only to find that I couldn't regulate it below 3.9volts.

Then on Amazon I see that the Buck converters were as cheap as chips, so that is where I am. Tomorrow is another day and will see what capacitors and resistors will do.

29/03/2020 16:59:53

Yes, worked fine with a battery, but the battery contacts are a bit corroded as the battery leaked.

Thanks for the ideas of resistors and capacitors

29/03/2020 15:54:04

I am using a Buck converter to step down 12v DC to 1.5 volts to drive some digital callipers (Modified for the Z axis of the mill). The display on the calliper wanders up and down +- 0.003" even with the quill locked. The battery is removed from the calliper and the 1.5 volts is fed into the PCB by soldered connection. Any ideas please ?

Amazon part Ref

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LM2596-Converter-3-0-40V-1-5-35V-Supply/dp/B01GJ0SC2C/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2HX53WG8RS38I&dchild=1&keywords=buck+converter+12v+to+5v&qid=1585493171&sprefix=buck+converter%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-8

Thread: Suppliers of brass, aluminium, bronze etc
28/03/2020 16:17:45

If you are anywhere near to Falmouth, there is an excellent Brass,Bronze and stainless steel supplier on the Bickland Water industrial estate. Sheet, bar, tube etc (Certificate if you want) and cut to size. They will post, but I don't know wether the post would be more appropriate for larger orders than small bits. They cater for industry but happy to supply to guys like us. If not busy, they cut whilst you wait.

Thread: Electrical conducting paint
28/03/2020 16:08:06

Thanks for the replies, so soldering iron it is, but A) wait for some hot sunshine and B) do it when the auto glass shop is open for business.

27/03/2020 16:25:49

This is the video I saw:

de mister repair

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest