By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: press fit sizes
12/11/2018 18:52:33

You would be very lucky to get an accurate fit by drilling. You would have to ream or accurately bore the holes. Again, you would have to measure the actual diameter of the shaft and from that select the correct reamer 'Fit'. However, most of us probably have the generic H8 reamer and instead of passing the reamer through the hole, just use the bottom end of the reamer (The tapered section) and by trial and error open up the hole to get the push fit you require. Note, not all lengths of silver steel are the same diameter - it is ground within limits.

Imperial 1/4 to 1in ±0.00025 in
Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
11/11/2018 07:26:15

Lead leaching back into the ground, where did lead come from in the first place ?

Thread: Hemingway Hacksaw
11/11/2018 07:20:58

Don't forget, reamers come in different nominal sizes, a 10mm E6 is 10mm + 0.043mm ( 10.043mm) whereas the R7 fit is 10mm - 0.034mm (9.966mm)Thus giving a hole anything between a clearance fit and a very tight swaged fit.

One often sees on older drawings - "Reamed hole", which in itself, doesn't mean much.

Ps - I am sure someone will correct me if I got the decimal point in the wrong place.
BobH

Thread: Boiler certification in a launch
09/11/2018 16:44:03

So Michael, You don't have a "pressurised system of steam" ? I would have thought your boat was "Steam-Powered". It is true that the BSS inspector would not be able to inspect and pass your boiler, but he/she should demand to see your "Current Inspection Certificate".

2.25 pressure system - current pressure system certificate
boiler - current pressure system insurance policy
boiler - LPG installation complies with Part 7 of these Standards
boiler - fuel system does not complies with Part 2 of these Standards

**LINK**

09/11/2018 13:43:47

BSS (Boat Safety Scheme) Examination Checking Procedures – Part 2 Permanently installed fuel systems and fixed engines

Part 2 item 7 reads:-

The pressure systems of steampowered installations must have a current inspection certificate issued by a recognised competent person.

**LINK**

BobH

Thread: Solution found to the World's biggest problem . . .
09/11/2018 06:55:14

Is re-cycling good for business ?? It wouldn't help manufacturing, but if manufacture was from abroad, then domestic re-cycling could be an advantage.

So if it said "Made in Britain", scrap it and if it said made in China, re-furbish it ???? I don't like that idea though.

BobH (Tongue in cheek)

Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
08/11/2018 15:36:35

Better buy your lead flashing before its banned then.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
08/11/2018 08:20:22

An update on the thread **LINK**

Have now cleaned up the two WW1 150mm German Howitzer cartridges and mounted them to make a couple of gongs. The 'hammer heads' were made from a semi hard ball from a toy shop covered in wet chamois leather. I now have to decide which auction site would be best for selling them.

Gong1.jpg

Gong2.jpg

Thread: Beginners Engine Advice?
03/11/2018 15:48:06

Before you make a loco, consider the cost of materials and where you are going to run it.

Thread: French model Engineers
03/11/2018 11:59:56

Me again, this is an interesting ME forum, littered with adverts which aren't helpful, but worth a view for French ME's

**LINK**

03/11/2018 11:50:24

Been having a dig around the web, and found this one:

modelisme 31.jpg

03/11/2018 10:46:58

Bob Humphrey 46320 - Interests:- Steam Loco, vintage cars and most things mechanical.

03/11/2018 10:45:41

There are a number of Model Engineers living in France on this site. I have started this thread so that we could get to know each other. If you read this thread and want to let others know which part of France you live in, or know of some good French suppliers of materials, clubs etc, just post a comment with your department and town postcode (not your full address).
BobH

Thread: Mystery drive rods.
01/11/2018 11:46:19

If they are phos bronze, probably something to do with the petroleum industry ??
BobH

Thread: Boxford Model A stopping on slow speeds...?
31/10/2018 06:55:41

DO NOT overgrase the headstock bearings. If you do, it will dramatically slow down the spindle speed especially at the higher rev range. If you do overgrease, remove the grease nipples and run lathe until excess has oozed out.
It happened to me !!
BobH

Thread: Pumping water up a hill
23/10/2018 06:55:06

look into sinking a new well, it may not be as deep as you think. My aunt lived on top of a hill, but her well was shallower than the one at the lower end of the village. Water tables are a peculiar thing.
BobH

Thread: Help with unknown item
20/10/2018 15:29:13

If you are into hobby metal work, these are a great tool. You can cut up to 1/8" steel quite easily. If you do decide to sell it, don't let it go for a song. May be old, but it looks like a good one.

Thread: English Gage?
20/10/2018 07:01:19

It looks like there is a gauge for every day of the week, every week of the month and a few more. No wonder there is confusion.
**LINK**

Thread: Battery Glue
18/10/2018 17:49:46

Sounds like Araldite wins the day.

18/10/2018 15:49:17

Interesting that silicon sealant which has acetic acid ?? as the activator has not been mentioned. I have to admit that Araldite was going to be my first choice , Black liquid metal (Would that be an electrical conductor) was also an idea. Anyway, thanks for the ideas.
BobH

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Shapiro
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest