By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Source of Stainless Strip
06/11/2019 12:11:02

stainless strapping as used around lamp posts etc for attaching signs ??

Thread: Reaming - depth of cut
05/11/2019 06:38:54

If its the first time you have reamed this sort of material, take the advice above, but try it out on a bit of scrap EN1A first. Its a shame to spoil a piece that you have invested time into.

Thread: Track laying
04/11/2019 17:26:31

Thank you Duncan and Brian for your input. To start off with, the track will be just a straight line with the intention of making a circuit eventually. It would be just for 5" gauge, and in my case a "Speedy". 0-6-0

In Duncan's calculation, the deflection is for a single rail ? and the calculation probably would change by the time 3/8" diameter studding holes had been drilled in the rail for spacers along the neutral axis.

Some of the sections I have seen are 3 or 4 rail to allow for 3.5" and 5" gauges, which would be 'stiffer' than a 2 rail setup.

I guess its back to square one, weight of loco, number of passengers on a section and thus loading at worst case points along the section.

What safety factor should one use in calculations?

Being very lazy, I thought there were some existing tables / drawings about. - The case continues

BobH

What sort of deflection is permissible under maximum load ?

04/11/2019 09:52:59

Thanks Duncan, I was looking to see what sections of rail people used. 1" x 1/4" with tubular/ threaded rod distance pieces seems to be used for track of multiple gauges and 5' centres but would that be stiff enough if the track was just for 5" gauge? Perhaps 5' centres are a bit optimistic?

Could you explain what "Super Elevation" is please.

BobH

Thread: Terms & Conditions
04/11/2019 07:10:02

Flippin genius - Thanks Jason.

Thread: Track laying
04/11/2019 07:00:21

Are there any designs for 5" elevated track, I am looking at making garden track that could be elevated on concrete pillars, but which could be removed and used as portable track. I don't really want to start making concrete spans for track to rest on, so the track needs to be rigid enough to support the locomotive and a few passengers.

In my thoughts, I would use either angle of rectangular section steel, unless I found some second hand stuff.

BobH

Thread: Terms & Conditions
04/11/2019 06:49:24

Is it just me, or does everyone get this ? When I visit the site, the first page is always Terms & conditions - visit www.time media etc. So, yes, I do visit time media, but there isn't an acknowledgement of the visit, so it comes up every time I visit the site. Boring ,boring, boring!

I mean, its bad enough that the front page hardly changes but, I mean ......

Is there a way to say I have read the T&Cs and stop it ?

BobH

Thread: When does Silver steel not need hardening and Tempering
02/11/2019 18:05:42

Probably used for measuring tube thickness, hence 0 - 1/2"

02/11/2019 15:21:42

These are the original specs for the 1961 model 0 -1" micrometer

Measuring face flatness. 0.00005"

Measuring face parallelisme. 0.0001"

Anvil - Tungsten Carbide (or steel)

Spare anvils are available from M&W still, between 4 - 7 pounds

I think that you would struggle to get the original accuracy however that may not be so important depending upon your requirements.

Thread: Stuart steam boiler HB4 with roaring chimney..
01/11/2019 06:50:17

Gas pressure too high ?

Thread: Boiler bushes
26/10/2019 07:33:02

I prefer to make the bronze bush and only start the thread off in the lathe, and finish the thread after silver soldering into the boiler - especially backhead bushes. That allows you to get a 'perfect' clean thread .

Thread: Murad Antarctic
24/10/2019 06:48:52

headstock is very different, otherwise, it looks very "Boxfordy" in concept and that big gear - is it 127 tooth?

Thread: Gandalf is broken
23/10/2019 07:22:12

I have a similar problem, my "Little girl" made of cast cement around about 1900 lost an arm, a leg, head dropped off and fingers on the good arm have frost bite. I have re-modeled with modeling clay, and am about to purchase molding rubber etc, then cast in bronze epoxy. "She" sounds about the same size as Gandalph. She was my grandmothers pond 'nymph', then lived with my aunt at her pond, then with my mother at her pond - and guess what, this winter's project is to make a pond !!

Thread: Where’s the kettle?
22/10/2019 06:38:55

Once or twice I have been asked to mend one of those toilet digester things and have to say that I don't understand them !!

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
19/10/2019 14:37:15

It’s just too expensive !! My first steam model was a turbine. WOW !!

A Tate and Lyles syrup tin with a bike tyre valve as the nozzle. Turbine cut from tin plate etc. Safety valve was the lid blowing off. But of course, all that is too dangerous now. Just look at any pre war

model magazine - lots of stuff for « model engineers » but tooo dangerous ??? 

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 19/10/2019 14:38:32

Thread: DRO to vertical mill z axis
19/10/2019 14:20:12

Make a new plate ?

18/10/2019 07:23:05

0d424e49-44dc-4c4c-ac87-a992e5e0905a.jpeg

18/10/2019 07:15:56

Fitted an old digital calliper to mine. Will take a photo later.

Thread: Exactly...
10/10/2019 14:55:33

If an engineer had invented Brexit, would we be out with a deal by now?

Thread: Has to be seen to be believed
05/10/2019 06:31:30

Sifbronze brazed ??

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest