By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bandsaw - wood and metal ?
11/04/2021 20:13:46

Buy a second hand vertical bandsaw designed for wood. replace the motor with a small 3 phase motor controlled by a VFD. Buy some HSS toothed bandsaw blades - Happy days.

Just be careful that blades don't "snatch" when cutting larger round bar / tube etc.

Bob

Thread: Mystery Mains Connector
06/04/2021 19:33:42

HP used to use them at one time. I had to get a non polarised plug and grind a slot into it.

Thread: Boxford Model C leadscrew half-nuts
05/04/2021 19:43:45

Not suggesting you buy these, but it shows re-threaded Southbend nuts

SB Half Nuts

Thread: Solar panels for water heating
05/04/2021 11:43:44

The problem that I see with solar energy is that if the sun doesn't shine, you have to top up with mains elec. However if you knew that the sun was going to shine, you would not top up with the mains and just wait for the sun. If you have a tank full of hot water, then the solar power has to be sold to the grid (and you loose out). Somehow, your solar system needs to be linked to an accurate weather forecast to make those decisions for you.

Bob

Thread: Boxford Model C leadscrew half-nuts
03/04/2021 19:44:29

just a general comment about the video. When cutting external threads, the school of thought is to set the top slide at 1/2 the thread angle, and here we have an ACME thread plunged in normal to the thread axis. Is that special to ACME threads ?

Bob

Thread: Canon printer
03/04/2021 16:42:02

The CANON TS 5350 has an auto power off (Energy saver) but also has a configurable power on when data received. So far, very pleased with it, but it does do a lot of "background" mechanical stuff after a print run - hope its not just gobbling up ink !!

03/04/2021 06:43:36

Built in obsolescence ??? My CANON MP 560 stopped printing black, would scan and copy black, but not print black from the computer. Their drivers are now out of date for the latest operating system.

Also it would loose WiFi so often that it became a pain in the whatnot.

However I did replace it with another - CANON TS 5350. This has the Apple AirPrint (Good for me) OCR, and PDF scanning besides all the norms.

Their ink ( very expensive) is guaranteed for 100 years for photos but I doubt either Canon or myself will be around to verify that !

Thread: Printer useful parts
02/04/2021 16:30:41

Besides round bar etc, what else can we make use of. Are there stepper motors inside (CANON MP 560 printer / scanner). which we can easily interface to micros such as Arduinos?

Bob

Thread: Steel tube for sand muller
31/03/2021 14:49:28

Steel lamp posts - sometimes see them at the scrap yard. I found a bit of 8" some years ago for a log stove chimney

Thread: LG TV ... updated webOS
25/03/2021 09:02:54

Interesting, I use MyTuner radio app on a Mac to receive BBC Radio 2 over the internet. This has now been blocked as the radio broadcasts now have something built into them to determine your location (by IP address ??). However my digital radio seems to work OK.

Thread: Was Draw Filing ever a chargeable offence in the RAF?
25/03/2021 08:58:52

As an aircraft apprentice, emery cloth was forbidden for use on Aluminium and its alloys, but wet and dry was allowed.

Thread: What's the general consensus please?
24/03/2021 16:19:07

I was stuck for space, so pillar drill gone(for 15 years now), Warco Economy mill drill in its place. Can be problematic when you have the mill set up and you need a pilar drill. You do get good at using the lathe for drilling though!

Also, the Mill Drill chuck won't hold small drills or spin fast enough for tiny drills. A short pin vice is useful for some operations. Not often, but miss being able to tilt the pilar drill table for certain drilling ops.

Thread: WHAT IS IT ?
24/03/2021 10:53:22

Anyone have someone studying mathematics at university or works at NASA ??

Thread: Cellular Plastic Shed Base - Advice Please
21/03/2021 17:12:32

First thoughts:-

Weed control

Rising damp will rot the wooden? floor in time.

What will you bolt your machines down to?

Thread: My Dog Doesn't Bit
20/03/2021 19:44:30

This worked for me.

startdog.jpg

startdogsetup.jpg

startinghandle.jpg

Thread: That little elf under the workbench again
20/03/2021 12:05:38

Christmas magpie bearing gifts ?

Thread: Umpteenth mystery object
19/03/2021 07:06:47

Looks like something from the food industry - bacon slicer?

Thread: Variable rpm control for watchmakers lathe
19/03/2021 07:05:27

I have just taken a foot controller of a sewing machine to pieces. Basically, its a pile of 1/2" diameter discs (carbon like) stacked on top of each other contained by a sturdy ceramic block. When the discs have no pressure on them, no current flows through the pile. Increasing the pressure on the pile increases the speed of the AC motor (This is intuitively wrong ?). This arrangement could be converted to a knob type basis I suppose.

Thread: Lathe Rigidity Issues - Modification Opinions
18/03/2021 09:02:35

A bit of a job now, but put the stepper motor on the rear of the saddle ??

Oops - just saw Jasons comment.

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 18/03/2021 09:03:05

Thread: Boxford max useable Chuck size
15/03/2021 15:46:00

I have a 6.25" Burnerd GripTru 3 jaw. Heavy old beast but goes well on my AUD. Do be mindful that if you run the lathe in reverse and it dropped off that here would be some SERIOUS damage !!!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest