By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boiler making
30/09/2020 08:23:54

Add to that, you will want some BIG gas torches and PLENTY of fire bricks (and a deep pocket for silver solder). An assistant can be helpful.

Thread: joining metals
29/09/2020 19:57:59

Stainless steel, use soft solder (lead based if you have some). Clean the joint and use Phosphoric acid as the flux (Jenolite rust killer) - other products may work.

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
29/09/2020 17:39:00

or these

**LINK**

getting more expensive:-

**LINK**

This is getting silly

**LINK**

and just to be really silly, how about using some Cerobend - quite brittle but melts at just under 100 deg C, so would have to be kept away from the hot end of the bar - perhaps not !

29/09/2020 17:30:35

I wonder if 'hard' brass would shear easily enough, otherwise graphite carbon Eg thick pencil leads. or how about some of these - wouldn't break the bank

**LINK**

28/09/2020 11:33:56

I seem to remember having that stuff at School, experiment to show how steel expands and contracts on cooling. A bar was heated between a couple of fixed points, a test piece of cast iron was slipped into an eye of the bar at one end and as the bar contracted on cooling, it would snap the test piece.

Thread: New Haven movement; Questions from a beginner
26/09/2020 13:57:11

T N Guy, I set my pendulum clocks up with an app on my phone that listens to the 'tick tock' and indicates out of balance, period etc. It just needs a quiet room. search Cucko clock Calibration or similar.

Thread: Bent woodworking lathe spindle
25/09/2020 16:24:52

Item 10 on the parts list ??

Clarke 37 parts list

Thread: Steam Raising Blower
25/09/2020 11:08:47

What sort of flue temperatures would you expect a fan to work at (choice of fan case and bearing materials) ?

Thread: Chatter
24/09/2020 06:51:21

Again, may be an illusion, but is the tool bit horizontal, or is it at a negative angle.

Or is the boring bar too big for the diameter it is cutting ?

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 24/09/2020 06:53:13

Thread: Interference
22/09/2020 14:31:12

"We'd just advise the public to make sure that their electric appliances are properly certified and meet current British standards," she said.

That sounds a bit daft - it means that we have to change everything for the latest BS. Do I have to upgrade my 1932 Austin 7 to the latest emission regs ? Ahem, I think not.

Thread: Customs payment is it a scam
22/09/2020 08:59:00

I have posted a small gift from France to Australia, gift had no value, but FR post has a minimum value of 1€34 which has to be paid on receipt in OZ (Apparently).

Thread: Why are BA taps so blooming expensive??
21/09/2020 06:54:46

Try our "Cherished suppliers" - TracyTools. You will be pleasantly surprised. Also, I rarely use a second tap, just taper and plug. Why HSS ? Carbon Steel for the most part will give you good cutting and life etc at £1.50 a tap. However, I do prefer HSS dies.

Bob

Thread: WHY THE TANG?
20/09/2020 11:36:48

On Googling "Why do large drills have tangs" I came across a reference which stated that on larger machines, if the drill taper slipped, and quill feed continued, damage could be done to the machine. Having a tang prevented the taper from slipping. As we all know?? Its the taper that does the work, but if the taper were compromised by trapped swarm, burrs etc, then the taper comes into play.

I could live with that explanation.

Bob

Thread: KITS
19/09/2020 07:25:10

years ago, we placed a sealed bid on a council house. We were the highest bidder, but the successful bidder was a builder with "cash" available.

Thread: REMOVING STEEL BOILER TUBES
18/09/2020 21:43:39

Would it be a good idea to de-scale the inside of the boiler first ?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
18/09/2020 15:55:56

Lucky the fish were Koi and not Piranha !!

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 18/09/2020 15:56:33

Thread: Soldering stainless steel
17/09/2020 11:22:56

As AW says, Phosphoric acid - its what we used on the aircraft (away from the plane itself) down at Weybridge. JENOLITE is a "rust killing" product you can buy off the shelf that contains Phosphoric acid. I am sure there are more perfect products, but I usually have some of it on the shelf - Other products are available.

Thread: Gloves in a Bottle
16/09/2020 10:52:06

I notice that the video doesn't show him putti on his hands or taking it off - A bit suspicious to me !!

Thread: WHY THE TANG?
15/09/2020 18:25:08

Does the tang help in the manufacture of the male end of a drill, reamer etc. Have you ever seen a centre with a trang on it ?

15/09/2020 11:21:17

Sounds to me like the morse tapers aren't true - the tapers should lock themselves without the tang.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest