By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Speedy Builder5

Here is a list of all the postings Speedy Builder5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Apprentice Pieces
18/09/2018 12:31:56

I have all the 1" G clamps that didn't make muster - really useful in the workshop. There were about 6 pieces we had to make under the "Technician" apprentice scheme(5 years), the most bizarre was a 5" section of a R100 tapered hollow box section which had additional hemispherical stiffening sections top and bottom, all riveted together. It involved making the curved sections on a Fly press, the box section sides on a folder, and one line of rivets set by hand, one line set by rivet gun and one side set by hydraulic rivet swager. I forget what was used for the 4th side!.

BobbH Vickers Armstrongs Aircraft Weybridge (1963 - 1968)

Thread: What has happened to fly spray?
17/09/2018 06:48:51

HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT WHY THE POPULATION OF HONEY BEES IS NOW DANGEROUSLY LOW ??? All of these "harmless sprays" that only kills flies and wasps (not bees of course) leak into the eco system along with farmer's agriculture chemicals and then we wonder why there are no bees. We bring this problem on ourselves at our own peril. A good old fly swat is all you need and a bit of tissue to clean up afterwards.
Nuff said.
BobH

Thread: Using wood on a metal lathe
15/09/2018 12:29:34

Seasoned oak on a mill takes the edge off HSS cutters quicker than steel would. Once you have turned wood on your lathe, give it a good clean up (especially wood with high tannin content - Oak) as it soon turns metal blue.

Thread: Metal banding
15/09/2018 12:26:32

I have found a French barrel hoop maker and making further enquires.

Thread: Junior Hacksaw Blades
14/09/2018 17:14:10

By mistake, I bought Junior hacksaw blades which were marked "For Wood". OK for cutting up Chedar Cheese, but not much else !
BobH

Thread: New Workshop
14/09/2018 13:22:42

You need a machine shop, a woodwork shop, stores and assembly bench, then add a canteen and first aid post, reception area for all those visitors. If you like that sort of stuff, mechanical separated from electronic. However for me, I have everything in a 5m x 3.5m wooden shed with machines and bench against the wall with stock all down at one end.
Boxford AUD lathe, small wood turning lathe, Warco Mill Drill, bandsaw, grinder finisher etc. Propane stored outside with torch etc inside and a couple of fire bricks. Compressor under the bench, circular saw on wheels in the centre of the workshop, wood and bar stored on the rafters of the pitched roof. 3Kw portable electric fan heater and automatic fire extinguisher hanging from the centre of the roof.
Hobbies include 5" steam loco, plumbing, furniture making, electronics, wood turning - Oh the list goes on. No room for the 3D printing though.
BobH

Thread: Metal banding
14/09/2018 13:11:04

30 x 1 is what seems to be used over here. Rust is not a problem and some of these gates are more than 50 years old. From the photo (30 x 1) you see that the steel is left in its natural state for a couple of years to get the rusty patina, then if you can be bothered, treat with RUSTOIL which is a mix of varnish and Jenolite probably with a bit of linseed oil for good measure. One coat is sufficient for 20 odd years as a bit more patina wouldn't matter.

Buying lengths of steel gives a lot of wastage unless you weld odd bits together. Older gates were riveted at each end of the strip to the framework of 35mm x3mm steel tube (older gates were solid and forge welded at the joints). with a few rivets every 4th joint. I was going to rose weld the ends and spot weld every 4th joint. The gate in the leading photo is rose welded.
Using galvanise strip would look out of character and not be so good for welding.
I am not trying to re-invent the wheel here, just following tradition to fit in with the countryside. I did think that if I could find a 'Hooper' that they may know of a source of strip (Hoopers made the hoops for the coopers who made barrels and kegs etc), but havn't found one yet but they MUST be local as we are in wine country - probably made in China these days !
BobH

14/09/2018 07:26:07

I am looking for a supplier of mild steel band (Black or bright) about 30mm wide by 1mm thick and 60 meters in length total. This is for lattice work on a gate which will be about 3.5meters wide.
When cut to length, each piece will be about 1.24 meters long with each end cut at 45 degrees. I can find suppliers who will guillotine the strips, but charge for each cut and can't guarantee that the strips will be "flatish".
I have had a look on the internet, but not been successful yet. Those of us who are old enough can remember iron beds with similar lattice work!

gate13.jpg

Thread: lead acid battery charging, will this work
01/09/2018 15:20:46

Bigger battery, solar panel is way to go. Solar would charge up during the week and leave plenty for the weekend. I have a small solar setup for a remote garage and use LED lighting for when it's dark.

Thread: Bench grinder
26/08/2018 12:16:11

My Blackspur packed up the other day after 25 years of abuse. Tried a different socket before dismantling. Found out the switch had disintegrated, found a spare DP switch in the come in handy electrics box. All up and running .

BobH

Thread: SAE 45deg Flared Fitting
18/08/2018 14:19:11

**LINK**

You can even download their comprehensive pipe and hydraulic pipe thread guide, but remember to save it as it is not auto saved to disc.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
17/08/2018 14:01:52

Like most of us, it was today that I finished the garage. 20 Square meters on a 4" re-inforced concrete base. Total cost including a pumped concrete ready mix base 6,000 pounds. Garage made from 28mm Douglas fir weatherboard supported by 4" x 2" framework with a clay tiled roof.

x all done.jpg

Thread: Help to select and lay concrete reinforcing mesh
14/08/2018 07:43:09

Sorry, but Ignore Richard and Tracy advice - That is wrong. The steel needs to be in tension and at the bottom of the slab ie: put some spacers (broken thin paving slab) on top of the DPM (Overlaped at the joint) . Put your mesh on top of the spacers (Overlap the mesh at the joints) and wire together if you want with bare iron wire (Not essential but keeps things tidy). Pour your cement and tamp down well. Now make sure the cement sets slowly. If you want a smooth surface, polish it with a float once the initial set starts - you will have to walk on the wet cement to do it, so it needs to be hard enough to do that. Professionals use a power float, but you won't need that.

You may have to cover the cement to stop it drying out too fast and cracking - even flooding it with water if its hot. Cement will cure under water, so don't be afraid to use plenty.
Apologies to Richard
BobH

Thread: Welding issue for a newbie
12/08/2018 06:56:41

Are you using it at max current setting? Try a lower setting and see if it makes a difference ??

Thread: Lead acid battery charging
11/08/2018 07:24:02

Lots of advice - Thanks, but not there yet as the system needs to both charge and trickle charge. BUCK convertor wouldn't do that also o/p is 6v and not 6.8 for charging. I didn't want two solar panel chargers, one for 12v and one for 6v, so that idea is rejected. I did find a unit, but a bit pricey **LINK**
and then a cheaper system **LINK**

but getting them in from the USA may prove a bit costly. The search continues.
BobH

Thread: Let's hear it for British manufacturing!
10/08/2018 20:54:25

KWILL, in 1974, Cincinnati Milacron the electronic control systems company set up shop in Bedford UK, supplying controls to Cincinnati in Birmingham. Later importing the US controls and retrofitting them for the UK market. When CNC was introduced as opposed to NC, Milacron invented their own computer which was adapted to a minicomputer (CIP 2200) with disc drives (25 Mb hard drives - WOW !). **LINK**
Milacron moved to Biggleswade (The old home of Cincinnati Broach and grinding division) in about 1980 and eventually folded in about 1990.
In 2007, Cincinnati Birmingham disappeared. This could make you cry **LINK**

BRITISH or perhaps American - but lost.

Thread: How would you fix this?
10/08/2018 20:32:22

How about a cork? Cork modified to take the centre plastic bit you think is a vent / valve.

Thread: Lead acid battery charging
10/08/2018 17:02:28

I have a remote garage (No mains electricity) which has a 12 volt DC supply from a battery / solar panel charger. I use the 12v for lighting (12v LED GU10 bulbs), also for an alarm system using a mobile and SMS messaging.

It would be great if I could trickle charge the 6volt battery of the Austin 7. I have surplus 12volt DC energy. Has anyone seen a 12volt to 6volt charger?

I suppose I could convert 12v DC via an inverter to 240v AC and then run a 6volt DC charger, but that seems a long way around.

Any ideas out there?
BobH

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 10/08/2018 17:02:50

Thread: Sign up to boxes
09/08/2018 20:44:22

Oh dear Martin - the EYES as well (site /Sight).
Tongue in cheek BobH

Thread: How would you fix this?
08/08/2018 21:47:51

Which dishwasher and how old is it?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Sept 5
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Shapiro
ChesterUK
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest