By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Parkin

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Parkin has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fobco Star Quill Spring - Removal
08/06/2021 13:03:36

The spring and cup that it lives in is easily removed ..take the ball of the handle and slip the handle out. Under the casting is a grub screw loosen this and the tension will be released.

then you can slip the gear out towards the left when standing at the front.

then remove the friction cap off the spring and with care you can remove the spring but theres no need really to remove it unless its broken

Thread: Harrison M250
04/06/2021 12:03:40

Can you post a picture of your broken bits?

Thread: Watchmaker's lathe belting advice
02/06/2021 15:54:09

Massimo

how much tension are you putting on the belt and what diameter is the material?

i use a lot of 4,5,6mm habiset material on printing finishing equipment and the pulleys are as you describe with no signs of slipping. On a belt set you measure it loosely on the pulleys and then remove 5% then weld up

Thread: What are these morse taper collets for?
01/06/2021 10:38:14

From the description on eBay i read that they were parallel inside and MT2 on the outside..i presumed that the hole half way up was for helping out a drill or shaft inserted..?

01/06/2021 09:29:27

I’ve seen these mt2 collets for sale on eBay...

what do you use these for?

i have ones with a draw bolt to hold work or cutters

but how do these hold things?

086dccee-7377-4500-a86b-55d93c2904cc.jpeg

Thread: Bearings Online (Based in Scotland)
24/05/2021 12:27:58

Mike

about at that time i was ordering some electrical components from a supplier also paying by paypal and it did the same as to you...and then asked me because of suspicious behavoir to change my pasword

Ian

Thread: Hydrogen home heating
22/05/2021 17:33:53

There was an article in the times today (Sat 22nd) page 21 about JCB developing a hydrogen fuelled IC engine

using pressurised hydrogen tanks

it produces no co and nearly zero N0X.....just water out the exhaust

so where does the water come from? if you feed an engine with h2 and atmospheric air (turbocharged) and burn it what happens to the hydrogen and oxygen? Is it destroyed? Or does it recombine to form water?

as i said I’m not a chemist

18/05/2021 22:12:22

So do hydrogen powered vehicles always use a fuel cell or can you use it as a fuel source in a ic engine?

the hydrogen filling station in sheffield sells it at £10 per kilo and most cars/vans can load 5 kg so is that as a pressurised gas or liquid?

18/05/2021 18:46:32

I’m not a chemist but I’m sure a few of you are..

when you electrolyse water to get hydrogen and oxygen how much do you get ?

say 1 litre of water how much o2 and h is there

we then tank the hydrogen and feed it to a car engine and mix it with air then burn it

what comes out of the exhaust?

water i understand and surely nitrogen and the other trace gases in air (water vapour too)

but what has produced the energy?

so all the hydrogen hasn’t burnt and has recombined with some oxygen to make the water

Thread: USB switch
17/05/2021 18:15:56

Ive ordered a switched hub off amazon so will see if that works

17/05/2021 18:01:22

Stuart

that looks like it may work but needs sockets changing gender

ideally i'd like 2 type A for inputs and a lead with a type A or another type A socket so i can use a A to A lead

17/05/2021 17:57:17

Its a pioneer head unit in my car with one usb socket on the back so well hidden

theres a usb extension into it so theres a socket in the glove box

usually theres an ipod plugged in with a 30 pin plug to usb

when i want to plug my iphone in to use apple car play ( which has a lightning socket)

that means unplugging cables etc

if i could leave the ipod connected and with a switch fire up the lightning cable to my iphone that would be great.

the pioneer instructions say that hubs cant be used

17/05/2021 16:25:50

Does anyone know if theres such a thing as a usb switch to switch 2 devices into one usb socket?

i bought a lovely one off amazon but its for connecting 2 computers to one device. and it wont work backwards

i need it the other way...i cant use a hub...it needs to be switched

TIA

Thread: School me on collets please...
14/05/2021 12:23:15

Tifa

i use a variety of collets er 11,16,20,32,40 in my mill but my goto ones are mt3 collets in the sizes i need to hold cutters..quick and easy to use and change sizes.

get the ones that suit your drawbar mine uses m12

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/Morse-Taper-Collets/MT3-Collets-Metric-Sizes

Edited By Ian Parkin on 14/05/2021 12:24:36

Thread: Machining a female MT1 taper
12/05/2021 06:48:35

Robin

i make a few mt 2 sockets and use just the finishing one

i drill down the smaller diameter and then perhaps halfway with the middle diameter.

hold the reamer in the drill chuck and at perhaps 500 rpm advance the reamer and cut just a couple of mm

retract and clean the flutes apply cutting oil liberally and repeat until its cutting all it length.

Thread: Hand cleaner
11/05/2021 20:07:57

Boraxo is still available online and is the best hand cleaner i have used

i bought a large bag of borax and mix it with soap flakes and that works as well as the branded version

Thread: Can you suggest a better Bookbinding Glue?
29/04/2021 18:12:48

Most bookbinders in the printers i go to use pva

Thread: Finding a penknife
29/04/2021 09:24:17

late 2019 i was in the audience for the election question time special (with the 4 party leaders)

we had to be there 2 hours before it started and i've never seen so much security to get in

there was airport syle walk through, a wand that was waved over you, a manual frisk.

before this though you had to empty your pockets which i did into a tray including my car keys

only when i was actually in the auditorium did i remember that on my keyring was a folding penknife that no -one had seen

easily if one wanted to you could have lunged at any one of the leaders and planted a 3 inch blade in them..live on tv!!

Thread: Portable vice - buying advice sought
28/04/2021 20:38:21

Your table top isn’t going to be very rigid at 4mm

28/04/2021 18:22:29

The zylis is a quality solution as ega says i have 4 of these in different workshops

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
JD Metals
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest