By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Parkin

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Parkin has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe query.
22/10/2021 10:17:53

Paul if you have a meter as you have checked the resistances of the windings then with the power off check for resistance on the contacts of the contacter when you press the contacts together.

then check resistance of the coil on the contactor

21/10/2021 16:54:11

Paul

welcome to the forum

if you have a meter check for 415v across pairs of phases on the supply side of the contactor...so you need 3 sets of 415v

then when energised check for the same on the motor side of the contacts

Ian

Thread: Sphere Turner
12/10/2021 12:05:00

I have the one thats in your first link sold by boffin guy on eBay

its great works well and I wouldn’t think making one any better is going to make it better to use…it does the job out of the box. And at the price he sells them for I wouldn’t go to the trouble of starting to make a copy.

if you want a ball turning jig rather than making a ball turning jig that is

Thread: Home Made Lathe, Safe?
02/10/2021 18:34:56

Interesting use of a variable speed on a single phase induction motor too.

Thread: Scam
28/09/2021 09:44:13

Bob I didn’t see your spelling mistake at all i just saw model…engineering…. modeleng

28/09/2021 08:58:39

I cant see anything wrong with it....just a company scouting for business

Thread: Has anyone heard of this before…dopey dogs…
23/09/2021 18:28:36

My neighbour has a 1 year old jack russel type dog

it was in the garden digging down to a armoured cable and then chewed through a 2.5mm 3 core swa cable fusing the supply.

no injuries sustained but why would it do it? It was 12 inches deep in a flower bed…can the dog sense something..it’s supplying a pond pump so no great load

Thread: Just out of interest how a angle grinder nut is made
18/09/2021 11:42:14

Here’s a angle grinder nut disassembled for your perusal

i have quite a few of these as i never seem to be able to find a peg spanner…these nuts work great …tighten as tight as you wish by hand use the tool for ages then when you want to change the disc the nut comes loose easily by hand

aa856bed-a84e-41b1-9edc-7add44f2e374.jpeg

Edited By Ian Parkin on 18/09/2021 11:42:57

Thread: A question about motor
16/09/2021 16:03:41

Or buy a vfd ?

Thread: How to post lithium batteries?
14/09/2021 10:41:44

Well an update

DHL had indeed xrayed the package and decided that it was too dangerous to carry so have sent it back to the seller.

as it was an overnight service may it have been flown down to somewhere more local?

so the sale has been cancelled.

i just wonder how dangerous a smallish camera battery is in a fitted foam compartment in a pelican case

Thread: Saving the Planet … or is it ?
14/09/2021 10:34:10

I believe the tv was a special Philips model which was on a special type of standby so it was “on” immediately …the greens jumped on this as typical of all tv’s

Thread: How to post lithium batteries?
10/09/2021 11:51:32

This back and all its Accesories are being sent in a pelican case with foam cutouts for all the parts and then in a cardboard outer box… do DHL X-ray it or perhaps open it?

10/09/2021 11:45:25

I bought an digital back for a medium format camera on eBay.

seller charged me £25 for delivery he said it had cost him significantly more to post by next day with DHL.

its been caught by having 2 lithium batteries inside and is now on its way back to the seller.

is there a carrier who will accept lithium batteries?

Thread: They see you coming
05/09/2021 12:52:02

A few years ago one daughter had bought a new smart car

first service she was presented with a bill for well over a thousand rather than the perhaps a hundred she was expecting ( car had done less than 4K on mainly motorways

the bill consisted of new discs and pads which they had fitted already

she rang me in a panic and i shot down to the dealer (main Mercedes dealer)

when i got there the service manager was saying to her it was a safety issue so they had fitted without informing her

the second i got there the service managers face dropped when i asked to see the old ones…

then there was a delay before they admitted that they had billed the wrong car..

Thread: Newman Motor Star To Delta?
02/09/2021 12:06:34

I have run quite a few 3 phase motors in star connection straight from a VFD with no ill effects maybe a bit down on power but they ran satisfactorily ( disc sanders ,drill presses,tool post grinders)

Thread: 9/32 hex steel bar
02/09/2021 10:12:42

How much material do you need?

do i read that you need 30 metres of it

or enough to make 30 nuts?

Thread: Purpose of screw on keyway
29/08/2021 11:30:55

Belt and braces?

Thread: Silver soldering cast iron
29/08/2021 11:19:03

Stick welding rods are not expensive

a pack may be £50 but you will only use 1/2 one to a repair like Mike wants to do if that so £1 in total to repair a part which if it was available would be £50-100

if you need a rod or 2 mike let me know

28/08/2021 14:40:53

I use cast iron rods (nickel) routinely in my day job repairing castings no preheating just a stick welder or after treatment…just grinding back.no failures

Thread: Is there a Gitzo tripod expert in the house ?
24/08/2021 14:19:51

Michael

here they are you can have any one you desire

theres a benbo Mk 2 cut down slightly so more of a 1.5

that will go to over 6ft tall

then theres a uniloc one with a horizontal mount (this is the spindles one and lightest

then a triloc one meatier and heavier than the uniloc

4db69d5d-b488-4e22-9d7f-f12f280b641e.jpeg

5bb3f434-b0b6-44b0-b33f-69b03acbe511.jpeg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest