By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Hewson

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Hewson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BR1 Tender tunnel
04/08/2018 21:25:55

Like Michael g, I too have memories of the BSA painter doing the tank, fabulous skill.

On a visit with the electricity board students association, first time most of us had seen a melon for lunch, guessing how to tackle it without looking a fool.

Different world going from Leeds to Brum as a 16 year old apprentice.

Thread: Stanley - Quality?
02/08/2018 17:56:40

I use the cheapo brushes from Wilko, don’t shed hairs and just throw them away at the end of the job, cheaper than buying paint brush cleaner and a lot more convenient.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
31/07/2018 09:42:05

How do you manage to get a clear enough sky to see anything? In my neck of the woods you are lucky to see any stars at all most nights due to cloud cover.

Would love to be able to use a scope, but it would be a waste of time I think.

Never saw the moon for the eclipse last week, and last night sat out saw only one star.

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
29/07/2018 16:52:18

Nice engine Jason, don’t know how you find time to fit all you do in to a day!

Did you have any oil in the cups when you ran it?

Thread: Hot Weather and Wall Fastenings
25/07/2018 15:16:05

Storage heaters had to be fixed with fibre wall plugs, plastic ones have caused injury’s as they were known to have given way allowing the heaters to tip off the walls.

Thread: Reducing shank diameter on a reamer.
21/07/2018 03:32:04

If the reamer has a center in the end, could you not support it with the center and turn the reamer by hand ?

Thread: Microsoft Windows 10S - One to Avoid?
17/07/2018 18:29:36

I hope you don’t regard my posts telling of my long experience against your short experience of Apple as “apostolic fervour” Jack, or shouldn’t I tell you of them?

17/07/2018 17:38:04

Should have remembered not to walk under ladders with your luck Neilcheeky, been Apple since 95 and never looked back.

Pass on my old machines to the nephews and niece's, old iBook still doing homework for 16 year old without problems, as is the old square iMac.

On the iphone 8plus now after the iPods and original iPhone.

I may have been blessed, but in my experience what I wrote earlier is the truth for my friends and I, would recommend Macs to anyone.

If you need to you can also run windoze on a Mac, along with Apple, but never found the need.

Edited By Ian Hewson on 17/07/2018 17:39:00

17/07/2018 15:36:19

The use, Neil, is that it works, and you don’t have to create threads about its problems.

Thread: Beware the dreaded GOUT
15/07/2018 17:46:53

Had gout a couple of times, last episode 10 years ago, doctors put me on 100mg of allopurinol a day, fingers crossed not been bothered since.

Worth trying to see if its ok for you.

Thread: Mac Computers
22/06/2018 19:07:07

Just a question as to why you can’t upgrade memory on an iMac when my 2027 27 inch iMac has a memory compartment on the back accessed from the power lead plug in?

Edited By Ian Hewson on 22/06/2018 19:07:52

22/06/2018 19:02:05

Been on macs since 1995 and never regretted it, and I buy my own, go for it!

Thread: Is this normal in backing plates
13/05/2018 15:56:19

My thoughts exactly David, seems that some don’t get the picture though🤣

13/05/2018 13:41:49

Lol, it’s only a hobby, why on Earth worry over it.

13/05/2018 10:02:52

Some never learn!

12/05/2018 14:01:18

A hobby that can kill you if you are careless about what you are doing. LOL

Thread: Mobile Networks
01/05/2018 10:11:13

Something to be aware of if changing to a network that piggybacks to EE etc, you may not get WiFi calling, very usefull in areas of poor coverage.

We are in a dip that the signal goes over since they consolidated ( removed) the masts near us.

Gif gaf etc are cheaper in some cases, but lack of signal for us at home is the decider for using EE.

Thread: Myford 254 DRO
29/04/2018 16:25:02

I would use the lathe and see if you need to fit a dro at all, I have a 254s and do not find I need one, although I have fitted dro,s to my Dore Westbury mill which is a major improvement.

Oil can be found on the “bay”

Ian

Thread: Home workshop fatal tragedy
21/04/2018 14:20:15

Might have when you were at school Neil, the one I went to in the 50s could not even manage the test tubes let alone any experiments.

Only started to learn anything after I left primary school and started an apprenticeship, we had been written off at 15.

Thread: Ball bearings
18/04/2018 09:04:50

Regarding Curry’s, I can only say what happened to me.

My two year old Samsung fridge freezer started forming ice sheets at the bottom of the freezer.

Curry’s repair people came round the next day and fitted a new defrost element which unfortunately did not solve the problem.

They made a further three visits and fitted new parts to no avail and then have me a voucher for the cost of a new machine at today’s price, which was considerably more than I paid originally, plus refunded the remainder of the 5 year guarantee.

I was pleasantly surprised as I had read plenty of negative comments in the past, but the repair guys said that Curry’s had made big efforts to improve there service recently.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest