By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Hewson

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Hewson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Odds and sods
24/11/2018 19:27:16

Grandfather had a pair, used to play with them in the early 50s, he was a boot and shoe repairer as was his father.

Thread: Jason's Firefly .46 Build
24/11/2018 18:50:16

Thanks Peter and Jason

Solid bearing it is then, always good to have advice, just been checking my taps, gues which one I don’t have for the plug lol.

24/11/2018 17:21:39

Hi Jason

A couple of people have mentioned fitting ball races as an improvement, wondered if it is worth while?

Would you have the glow plug type handy, never had any experience with model aero engines, but it seems that the glow plugs react similarly to spark plugs in a tuned car engine.

Ian

24/11/2018 11:33:40

Just received the plans and ordered some metal to make a start on Firefly, can you say how the ball races were fitted and the type?

This will be my first ic engine, all my others being steam, looking forwards to the build.

Just a note that John Feeney is no longer supplying the metal kits for this engine.

Edited By Ian Hewson on 24/11/2018 11:34:29

Thread: Cutting a large round hole
22/11/2018 18:33:05

So the people who have experience of hole saws were right then?

Thread: CBD Oil
22/11/2018 09:22:39

Had chronic back pain for years, know how you feel, nhs useless, tried all the physio, chiropractors, acupuncture etc.

Now use a physio who treats the causes not the symptoms, he was super on treating the symptoms and was a physio for the top rugby league teams.

Try finding Martin Higgins clinic on the web, usual disclaimers, both my wife and I use and recommend.

Thread: Cutting a large round hole
21/11/2018 20:02:23

The hole saw will cut a decent hole if used in a drill press and the plate clamped to a wood backing piece, I have done thousands over the years, usually freehand in a pistol drill.

The saw you link to will need an arbore to mount it though, a cost effective method would be the drill and file method.

Not a long job in aluminium.

Thread: Milling power feed
11/11/2018 22:19:19

Why not just fit a flexible coupling from the stepper motor to the drive shaft, and limit switches to the dc power unit?

Fitted them to my mill and they work fine, 2 x 16amp momentary push button switches and a cnc flex coupling from the bay for £11-00.

Enough power from the nema 23 motor to wind up the coupling without the limit switches, don’t ask how I know.

Edited By Ian Hewson on 11/11/2018 22:22:00

Thread: Machine light
04/11/2018 15:42:37

Car alternators charge at around 14.5 volts

Thread: inside an induction hob
02/11/2018 19:22:50

Apparently the retailer must take back for free similar items, but can charge for transport if they collect them from you.

Thread: Another new mill
02/11/2018 14:59:04

img_0938.jpegimg_0938.jpegimg_0937.jpegimg_0935.jpegHi Peak4

Fitted the magnetic scale from M-DRO, bought last year at discount price during the Midlands show when Warco could not be bothered as they chatted to old friends.

Works very well, mounted on a peice of gauge plate at the rear, plenty of scale track to cut to size.

img_0934.jpeg

Thread: A New Golden Age of Model Engineering Exhibitions
27/10/2018 09:39:31

Just seen the cost of beer in Mike Poole’s area, you can buy 5 pints of (very) good bitter in my local for the price of entry.

One of the reasons for not going to London area shows is the, in my opinion, rip off prices charged.

Unless things change, this type of show will die along with its aging supporters.

At 74 I feel like one of the younger people there.

As an aside my window cleaner had to ask what my lathe was, he had never seen one although he did just recognise the drilling machine.

Thread: Pinkgrip
27/10/2018 09:27:03

It was recommended by the suppliers of the wooden stairs nosing I fitted last year, was a bit dubious when I saw the odd colour and cheap price, but the proof of the pudding as they say.

Stuck it on and it’s still there, walked on every day!

Thread: Warwickshire Event Centre, Leamington Spa
12/10/2018 09:43:32

Yes, going Friday.

27/09/2018 20:59:36

Hi Chris

Dont know what size gears you need, but just a heads up on the circuit that is shown from Myfordboy, the switch will need the unused connection on the on off side of it connecting to the other opposite end connector on the same side, or the motor will only run in one direction as the feed to the relay will not operate.

Hope this makes sense to you.

By the way the controller is on the bay from a UK supplier and arrives in a week, mine f rom China took ages, but I bought a spare and converted it as per Myfordboys design as I found I did not know in which dir ection the table would start with my push button design.

Ian

24/09/2018 20:29:22

As stated in my last post, the handwheel turns smoothly with no drag, trying to turn a stepper shaft by hand will feel notchy, but not in practice on my mill.

Ian

24/09/2018 18:59:31

Take a look at the pic”s in my album using a simple sliding flexible coupling as a drive.

Using the circuit with the driver connected as in Myfordboys circuit the hand wheel drives as normal with no drag, but if you want to disconnect it is a straightforward job.

Thread: Car battery negative earth
24/09/2018 09:39:08

Hi Bob

Can’t see the s4100 battery you mention, is it a 12volt, if not why not change to a single 12v as most mgb owners do, fit plastic battery buckets in the wells and use the one on the left for tool storage.

I would never advise having a loose battery in the passenger we’ll or anywhere else for that matter whilst you are driving, a small bump or rapid stop could be catastrophic.

Regarding parts falling off mgb”s, I have just passed my 78 B to my nephew as we are getting a bit too stiff to use it as it should be. It is as sound as the day it was bought as it was zebarted and waxoyled from new.

Most cars will fall apart in time if they are not properly used and maintained.

Ian

24/09/2018 09:22:15

Hi

Check out my thread of last week stepper motor speed control and connections, it shows how I fitted x control to my mill using Myfordboys guide and connections, works a treat!

The wiring diagrams and driver settings are opened at the end of Myfordboys video by clicking on the down button and going on to his blogspot.

Whilst scrap components will work, you have to first source them, and then hope they are ok.

Car scrapyards in this day and age are not the source they were in my younger days and there is a lot to be said for buying new components on the net

Ian

Thread: Stepper motor speed control connections
20/09/2018 16:49:53

img_0834.jpgimg_0832.jpgHi

Finally got the speed controller from China today and wired it in, used spring loaded push buttons for the fwd/rev and on/off control.

Thanks once again for all the help given, especially Myfordboy.

the set up works fine, plenty of power, just needs a swarf cover for the motor and perhaps some limit stops.

img_0831.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest