By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Hewson

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Hewson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mill X axis
19/06/2019 19:26:09

Myfordboys site gives size of motor etc, works well on mine, but I think you will find limit switches are a good idea, you can get more than a gentle hum if you reach too far.

19/06/2019 14:02:46

Have a look at Myfordboys website for fitting stepper motors to your mill, not using arduino for control, but works well for feeding fast and slow feeds. Some pics on my albums of the stepper fitted to my mill, no gearing needed.

Thread: Casting & print source for Ferrabee Pillar Engine?
13/06/2019 08:51:03

The pillar is a heavy lump to turn down, and quite a lot of heat is needed to silver solder the cylinder casting together.

Quite a nice engine to make though. I have some pics on my album of it nearly finished.

I would have posted a video of the finished engine running on air if I knew how.

Thread: fobco drill
15/05/2019 09:07:42

Just to make my earlier post clearer, the table is locked with the nut and bolt arrangement, no inserts, whilst the head uses the arrangement shown above with the internal clamps.

The support collar fitted under the head to support it whilst moving is also a nut and bolt arrangement.

My table locks with the handle shown in Ian Parkins post without any undue force.

14/05/2019 18:32:41

Just had a look at my Star, and the table is clamped by a bolt straight through to the locking handle, no collars.

The split is not the whole length of the collar.

The head casting is locked via two clamps pulling on to the column.

Thread: Doncaster ME show 2019
29/04/2019 18:52:56

Might be a sign of the times, but it will not get better for exhibitors such as Warco when they spend time talking to old mates instead of bothering with customers wanting to spend money with them.

Too many retailers have thought that the customer will always be there to wait for them, today the world has changed as many have found when the customer has gone to someone who will pay attention to them and provide good service.

I spent my money a couple of stalls down, who had the time for me, and goods that I wanted.

Guess who now gets first chance when I am in the market?

Thread: A visit to Manchester Sci and Eng Museum
29/04/2019 10:42:51

Rocket moved in 2018 to Newcastle, then to Manchester, and will be going to National Railway Museum in York later this year.

Thread: From the ground up!
29/04/2019 09:38:23

2nd from the right looks like a valve seat refacer for car cylinder er heads, screws on to a mandrel and cuts the face of the valve seat. Usually come in sets with different angles for inlet and exhaust valves.

Still have a set hiding out from when I used to play about with BMC a & b heads.

Spent hours polishing the ports etc to a shine, but saw the other day from a respected head tuner that the best results came from leaving the finish as ground, as it gave better mixing of the petrol air mix.

Wish I had known that 50 years ago😩.

Thread: Safety of phone chargers
22/04/2019 18:10:24

Just beat me to it Phil, any installation is only as good as the person who installed it.

Thread: How to level BOTH the Myford cabinet and the lathe bed?
21/04/2019 09:02:05

That has worked for me for many years👍

20/04/2019 21:34:20

Ditto for the feet on my 254s, good fitment, reccomend.

Thread: Diamond burrs
12/04/2019 16:02:13

Use a set of cheap diamond burrs bought years ago for all sorts of materials, never had any problems with them, just give them a try.

Saved me many an hour on odd shaped castings etc that need cleaning up.

Thread: Moving from Warco WM180 to a Myford ML7B ?
10/04/2019 15:23:05

Truewink!

Thread: Myford 254s accessories ?
24/03/2019 20:17:21

Fitted spacers similar to Duncan when I changed my ml7 to my 254s, work fine.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
21/03/2019 09:37:29

Wouldn’t want to get those cables caught up in it Terry, nice as it is lol.

Edited By Ian Hewson on 21/03/2019 09:38:05

Thread: KX1 CNC Mill Clearance Offer
18/03/2019 20:23:27

More cnc wouldn’t tempt me back to MEW, that was one of the reasons I cancelled my subscription in the first place. Long lines of g code as Blowlamps above leave me cold.

Each to there own though.

Thread: Doncaster ME show 2019
17/03/2019 09:04:05

Don’t forget Markham Grange steam museum and garden center just up the road also, many engines with some in steam.

Leeds, country’s third biggest city half an hour away for swmbo to empty your wallet, plus Armley industrial museum.

Coast and the Dales nearby, in “gods own county”, centrally placed in UK so easier access than the Sandown show, went to Sandown a few years ago and was disappointed.

Edited By Ian Hewson on 17/03/2019 09:04:54

Edited By Ian Hewson on 17/03/2019 09:06:00

Thread: Centre finder?
09/03/2019 12:31:55

Stainless steel balls are available on the net, use them for governor balls, drill ok without heating.

Thread: Brazing after milling whilst preserving accuracy
26/02/2019 09:08:00

Could you use an epoxy adhesive, devcon etc , I believe some radiators are now glued together rather than soldered?

possibly adding some brass rivets for extra security, invisible if countersunk.

Thread: E bay
24/02/2019 12:31:13

Ok on iPad using Safari.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest