By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Cyril Bonnett

Here is a list of all the postings Cyril Bonnett has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Childhood diseases
26/05/2019 22:43:32

I had measles along with my brorthers and sisters when I was about 6. Years later when I was in my late twenties and in the army I set off to see my mother one Friday lunch time, feeling a bit rough I stopped in Southwaite motorway services and ordered a meal I sat down and work up nearly two hours later with a young lady tapping my shoulder asking if I was okay, feeling a lot better I said she went and got me a coffee.

Arriving home in the late afternoon I was still feeling rough so went off to my bed and was left sleeping till the following evening, nothing unusual for my frantic army lifestyle.

Monday arrived still feeling rough and now with a rash so I rang my bararcks to tell them I was ill and off to see a doc. Visit to my doctor and a quick examination and he smiled. ever had measles? yes, well you have measles again.

Rang the Barracks, told them I had measles and got the curt reply, don't come near us for a fortnight.

Later when we had our first boy and were invited to take him for his MMR jab my wife asked the doctor is he would sign a letter saying he would accept all responsibility for any after effects. Certainly not madam.

None of our children, four in all, had the 'jab' and all are now adults and flown the nest, they never have colds or flu and live very healthy lives.

Should we vaccinate away our future immunity? Questionable. the overuse of antibiotics has shown that we human don't always get it right.

Thread: Recommendations for rust prevention?
25/08/2018 21:10:07

Large wooden shed, no insulation, 5 litres of wd40, no rust, no mess. Giant spiders though.

Thread: Beware the dreaded GOUT
15/07/2018 22:41:36

So we were talking about my big toe and it's gout and younger brother said it was crystals forming in joint so a quick smack with a rubber mallet and hey presto two years on no gout, do I recommend it NO it hurt.

Thread: Hot rail tracks
27/06/2018 23:02:20

With the state of our railways today it could only be the sun that makes our rails hot nothing moves fast enough to generate heat.

Thread: 'What LatheXXXXX sorry 3D Printer should I buy'
12/06/2018 09:04:01

Take a look at Gina's blog on 3d printing in Stargazers lounge, fascinating stuff.

**LINK**

Thread: Clean hands?
28/05/2018 18:49:23

Vic

When I started working for a local newspaper we used a hand cleaner that had some sort of abrasive in it, always remember it as my first few weeks working there gave me sore hands.

Thread: Another what's this?
09/05/2018 21:07:23
Posted by duncan webster on 09/05/2018 19:11:27:
Posted by Bill Pudney on 09/05/2018 03:43:53:

I used to ride motorcycles. One time I was approaching the outskirts of Southampton, doing about 60/70mph. As it was late Spring, early Summer I had the collar of my jacket undone. Suddenly I heard a whirr, saw something about 40mm long (ish, it happened VERY quickly!!) and it hit my adams apple. I thought I was going to die, the shock and pain was something else. Pulled over to the side of the road and tried to get my breath back, which took about 5 minutes. After some thought and talking about it with friends, I came to the conclusion that I had collided with a Maybug. From then on I wore a scarf to seal the gap between jacket and helmet, even in Australia when it was over 40 degrees!!

cheers

Bill

I got a hornet on my top lip whilst going quite quickly down a French Autoroute, now that did hurt. Swelled up spectacularly, but didn't last long.

I drove the mates Lambretta Li 200 to Glencoe for a weekend's climbing as he only had a provisional. Flying up Loch Lomondside I spotted something black heading for my head and ducked, a blackbird hit the mate in the throat and he didn't speak again to me all weekend, bliss, he was none the worse for my ducking though.

Thread: Department of Work and Pensions
20/04/2018 21:01:08

Just think of all those people that you are keeping in gainful employment by reaching 80.

Thread: Bennie Railplane
13/04/2018 13:57:52

The sewing machine has always amazed me, ever since I watched my mother using one to latter in life actually using one. Dangerous as well, especially when you put the needle through you finger nail.

Singer Sewing Machine Co. Ltd, Clydebank

**LINK**

BIRTH OF A SEWING MACHINE

**LINK**

13/04/2018 13:49:07

National Library of Scotland, 20 minute video.

**LINK**

Thread: Wind turbines get bigger and bigger
03/04/2018 20:18:10

Generating energy from turbines relies on our carbon based industries, can anyone point to any turbine that has been planted around or on the British Isles that hasn't relied on the massive amounts of carbon based energy from planning to commissioning?

Then comes decommissioning, who pays the consumer and taxpayer.

Thread: Lifting or hoisting a Myford Super 7
01/04/2018 23:05:10

Took four of us to carry our super seven up 12 steps, along a sloping path up another three steps, round the corner of the house, up another 8 steps and up a rather steep lawn to our shed.

Just be careful lifting something as heavy as a myford lathe, as pointed out you only have one body but you can buy another lathe any where any time.

Thread: Bennie Railplane
01/04/2018 22:53:58

Another couple of links

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thread: Myford Super 7 Lathe Instruction Manual
07/03/2018 18:41:43

**LINK**

What is obvious is that over the last ten years loads of 'old' books have disappear off the web, many to pop up on google books for sale. If you are a large company like google you can hoover up old books quite fast.

The US Supreme Court has ruled in favour of Google in its 11-year legal battle with an authors group.

The Court said it would not hear an appeal from the Authors Guild, which claimed Google breached copyright laws by scanning books without permission.

The technology giant began the process in 2004, so it could include extracts in a searchable database, and it was sued by the Authors Guild in 2005.

Google says everything has a value and boy do they now make you pay for it.

Thread: Files to print Myford ML4 change gears
21/02/2018 22:29:17

Have a look at this one Gears 3d Printer

**LINK**

Thread: Evading VAT and Import Duty
10/12/2017 20:20:18

Ketan

On one hand you say you will look for legal loop holes to avoid paying taxes, what you really mean is if someone pays you enough you will find a way for them to evade paying taxes.

The ordinary guy falls into your 'I will report them'

The proof in the pudding is with enough money companies like Amazon or Google can put two fingers up to the system, 'legally' but it's morally wrong.

Making money, anyway, wins hands down all the time.

Thread: Bending and welding acrylic sheet?
12/08/2017 12:56:03

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thread: Propane Cylinder worse when empty?
05/08/2017 17:56:43

We have a propane cooker and know when a bottle is getting low because of the pungent smell, (not my cooking by the way) it gives off.

Thread: 3D Printer Test Piece
05/07/2017 23:48:01

Be careful when using Acetone, I have used it and MEK for repairing fairing and bumpers in the past.

Both are very flammable, use in VERY well ventilated areas and wear protection.

Both carry the following warnings!

DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. VAPOR MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE. HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.

Thread: Myford Super 7 chuck alignment issues.
03/07/2017 21:38:33

Just a thought anyone wanting to change their belts in the future should consider using Fenner belts.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest