By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ZigFire

Here is a list of all the postings ZigFire has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe Chuck Scroll Cleaning
21/04/2014 09:53:00

Thanks for all the great tips guys, really appreciated, I'll give them all a go. Sounds like the best advice is to be a bit more regular in my chuck cleaning routine.

Cheers

Michael

20/04/2014 11:36:06

Hi

Was reading an article in the latest MEW and a topic came up that has bugged me for years that I have never quite been able to gain a satisfactory solution for, that being what is the best way to keep clean or clean swarf out of the scroll in your lathe chuck. I'm sue I'm not the only one that's had issues with jaws getting sticky due to that small bit of aluminium or steel stuck between the jaw and the scroll. I'm normally pretty festidious with this kit but occassionally I still get caught out, especially after doing a bit of through boring.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Michael

Thread: You know you are an engineer when...
11/07/2012 11:15:03

You know you are an engineer when... you sign your cheques in pencil.

Thread: Cuter speed
02/04/2011 03:11:16
Hey Martin,

Thanks for the great links and advice, much appreciated. I never realised there were so many types of saw blades.

cheers
Michael
01/04/2011 23:16:00
Just following on from Paul's cutting speed question, I need to do some slitting on the mill and not sure of the cut speeds.
In this case I have a 75mm saw, 2mm thick cutting aluminium. Do these speed tables apply to slitting saws and is there a speed difference for different thicknesses of saw?

Regards
Michael
Thread: Things we should not do
27/03/2011 10:37:14
Okay, my two bobs worth.

Never leave the chuck key in your lathe chuck.
Very easy to do especially if you don't have an interlocked cover over your chuck.
Did this once, started the lathe and the key flew out and hit me in the chest and it hurt!
Haven't done it since I can tell you.

Cheers
Michael
Thread: Lathe Thread Stop
17/03/2011 04:44:24
Posted by John Somers 1 on 16/03/2011 16:53:09:
Thanks Terry

Yes I can see that but I don't think there is any reference on my site to a cross slide stop, maybe there should be as I can see it being as useful as a carriage stop for certain machining applications.

So much still to learn !

John

Posted by Terryd on 16/03/2011 17:14:56:
Hi Michael, John,

I managed to retrieve my cross slide (thread) stop after salvaging it from a workshop fire. I intend to clean it up when I get my workshop rebuilt. I've posted a picture below of the disassembled stop showing the component parts. Note the thrust pin (for want of a better description) is angled to match the dovetail to prevent damage. The reduced diameter section allows the 'thrust pin' to be made captive so that it isn't lost when removed from the lathe.

Best regards

Terry

Edited By Terryd on 16/03/2011 17:15:55

That's great Terry and thanks for the picture of the lathe as well, much appreciated. Looks Like I have a little project to perform this weekend.

Cheers
Michael
17/03/2011 04:41:55
Posted by John Somers 1 on 16/03/2011 16:11:26:
Hi Michael

I wonder if you may have been confusing the thread stop with the carriage stop featured on my site (Scroll down to item 7 for more info).

John Somers
Hi John,

It was mentioned in your tutorials under "Lathe Lessons" number two I believe.

Cheers Michael
14/03/2011 02:15:46
Hi Terry,

Yes you nailed in your description what I meant by "thread stop".
Thanks for the image, I should be able to adapt something similar and as you say, very useful as I do cut alot of threads.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers Michael
13/03/2011 09:36:44
Hi,
Was looking at some of the vids on the Start Model Engineering" site (a great site btw) and the gentleman there talked about the lathe he was using having a thread stop.

I understand the concept, but unfortunately my lathe is not fitted with such a stop.

Question being has anyone designed such a beast for retro fitment to a cross slide as I reckon this would be a pretty handy thing to have.

Cheers
Michael
Thread: Removing a chuck...
13/08/2010 23:35:28
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 13/08/2010 22:42:18:
Maybe its a left handed lathe! like the the left handed screwdriver you used to send apprentices after.
Nick.
 I had a left handed screw driver once, problem was it could only undo left handed threaded screws.

Michael
Thread: Centring a rotary table horizontally on a mill table.
13/08/2010 23:31:16
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check the gibs and any table slackness and reduce the elbow grease when tightening.

Cheers
 Michael
13/08/2010 05:40:36
Hi Bogs,
Interesting reply, thanks. 

After tightening up I lost concentricity by around 0.1mm, so double your 0.05mm.
If I continue to have issues perhaps I could loosen slightly the hold down bolts on the rotary table, centre the table  X and Y, tighten the axis then lightly tap the table back to centre and tighten the holdown bolts.

PS fully agree with the "perfection too far" comment by the way. Man's gotta know his limitations..and his machines as well. (please forgive the Clint Eastwood quote)

Cheers
Michael
13/08/2010 05:40:20
Hi Bogs,
Interesting reply, thanks. 

After tightening up I lost concentricity by around 0.1mm, so double your 0.05mm.
If I continue to have issues perhaps I could loosen slightly the hold down bolts on the rotary table, centre the table  X and Y, tighten the axis then lightly tap the table back to centre and tighten the holdown bolts.

PS fully agree with the "perfection too far" comment by the way. Man's gotta know his limitations..and his machines as well. (please forgive the Clint Eastwood quote)

Cheers
Michael
13/08/2010 02:46:51
Hello Everyone,
I performed my first setup of a rotary table horizontally on a mill table last night, using a dial test indicator in the central hole to centre the table to the vertical mill axis.
I achieved this within 0.01mm runout which was very much adequate using the X and Y feeds. I then proceeded to tighten the X and Y axis and off course lost centre to a certain degree.
My question is how do you centre the table then avoid losing centre after tightening up the gibbs for machining?

Any tricks or tips greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Michael

Thread: Finding Centre Height
23/07/2010 04:54:46
Hi Guys,

Once again thanks for all the great tips. I now have a few ways to try out and find a consistent relatively easy method .

Cheers
Michael
20/07/2010 13:18:17
As usual thanks for all the great feedback, help and tips guys.

Cheers
Michael
20/07/2010 09:04:03
Hey Terry,

Now that is simple. Way to go, thanks very much. With my peepers getting worse with age this will help heaps.

Cheers
Michael
20/07/2010 06:27:17
Hello,
Did a search for this subject with no joy.
My question is what are peoples opinions on the best way to find centre height on a lathe for tool setting?

Any tips or tricks greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
Thread: Cutting a Groove - help needed
14/07/2010 01:56:16
Thanks Bogs but I was trying to cut a groove into the circumference not the side of the job.

Anyway I received a new parting blade for my tips in the mail yesterday and thought I would give it another go. I did all the right things, got the speed as close as possible to recommended, parting tool blade protrusion as short as possible, job secured further into the chuck for more support plus plenty of lubricant. All this worked a treat, managed to cut the groove no problem, even used a slow power cross feed. Just had to turn the job around in the chuck to cut the other half of the groove due to the low job profile.
In retrospect I iwas probably feeding too fast and heavy handed the first time, the job was minimally held in the vice, the cutter dug in and bang! Live and learn eh!

Thanks for all your help again guys.

Cheers
Michael
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest