By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Saxalby

Here is a list of all the postings Saxalby has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Colchester capstan tooling queries
21/04/2015 11:36:22

Ian,

You asked what the locking bolts / cams looked like. Here is a picture of the tooling lock bolts on my Boxford capstan unit.

capstan unit.jpg

Thread: Lathe Milling Attachment - Disadvantages?
20/04/2015 11:39:00

I concur with all the above posts.

I bought the Boxford vertical slide when I first got my AUD. Whilst it is useful and useable for small jobs, it is fiddly to set up, difficult to see what you are doing etc etc.

Like you had a small shed, with no room for a mill. But quickly got so frustrated with using the vertical slide that i extended the shed and bought a Tom Senior Mill.

Barry

Thread: Hogging out on a shaper
20/04/2015 11:29:19

Richard, On the assumption your "Boxter" is the same as my Boxford shaper, I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. The cause was the belt from the motor to the layshaft was poorly adjusted. After adjusting that it worked OK. Cant say what the max cut I can make is - but certainly a lot, lot more than 2 thou especially at low speed.

Barry

Thread: Steam engine is eating graphite yarn!
19/03/2015 19:44:07

I had exactly the same problem on my Stuart Twin Victoria. As with Jens the rods were polished etc etc., but the graphite packing ended up as a ring of graphite and fibres on the rods.

Do as Bob suggests and use PTFE.

Thread: Trevithicks Dredger Engine
19/03/2015 19:34:52

I built mine from the original ME article. It turned out a nice little engine. I do not remember any problem with the valve gear. The only problem I had was in getting the two crosshead columns parallel. Once that was sorted out it ran very smoothly.

I made all my own square nuts and bolts from a suitable square bar. Drill and tap as deep as I could and then chamfer and part off the nuts. Did not take long.

Like Jason, have always fancied doing a larger (2X) version.

Thread: Corbett XL Shaper
22/02/2015 10:43:34

Im with all the above, keep it.

My Boxford shaper is the the first thing i use for a nice flat finish. Would never sell it

Thread: Boxford Gears
02/02/2015 11:25:13

Also, have you tried G&M tools. They usually have lots of Boxford change wheels.

Barry

Or Bede Tools http://www.bedetools.com/page31.html

Edited By Saxalby on 02/02/2015 11:35:01

Thread: tom senior m1 milling machine
10/01/2015 14:53:47

These people have a M1 and Major mill user manual £10 in Pdf format.

http://www.machinemanuals.co.uk/manual.php?p=157

Barry

Thread: Collets
30/11/2014 17:11:25

Barry,

I use both. ER25 in the mill and although I have an ER25 chuck for the lathe, I almost always use the 5C collet chuck. I find the 5C much quicker to clamp and release a work-piece. Also, something I find very useful, is that un-machined, "emergency", collets are available. And everything said above.

Regards Barry

Thread: Atkinson Lorry
16/10/2014 16:44:50

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your suggestions. The pipe is the shape it is so as to pass around the various fittings etc below the cab footplate. I made it in two parts, with the elbow joint, for ease of construction. There would not be enough room to get a "loop" in the pipe.

Yes will post some more photos. The boiler is finished, just needs painting. Can't decide what colour to do it.

Barry

16/10/2014 12:08:25

atkinson2.jpg

atkinson3.jpg

Need help and advice with the Atkinson.

The 7/16" copper pipe, shown resting against the wheel, will connect from the boilers steam regulator to the inlet manifold of the engine.

I am worried that in use that any flexing of the chassis and engine assembly may cause the stream pipe to fail or worse damage the engines inlet manifold.

Does any form of high pressure flexible tube exist. Any suggestions as to some form of flexible joint. Or am I worrying about nothing.??

Thread: Milling M/C
14/10/2014 09:33:00

You wil have to prise it from my cold dead hands.

That, or lots of folding money.

Barry

12/10/2014 22:47:51

I've had my M1 with the "S" type vertical head, for 20 years or so. Very solid and well built. I have updated it by fitting a three axis DRO's, and an inverter drive on the vertical head.

Very happy with whats its capable off, and would be reluctant to ever sell it.

Barry

Thread: how to reduce the size of a pdf print ?
02/10/2014 19:43:53

Hi Ronan,

Your printer preferences should have a check box for "Scale to Fit Paper" or comment to that effect.

Regards

Barry

Beaten to it by 32 seconds

Edited By Saxalby on 02/10/2014 19:44:45

Thread: 55 Degree dovetail cutter, Where from?
22/09/2014 18:08:00

Hi,

Why not make a cutter as Michael Cox suggested, but use a 55 deg DCMT carbide insert.

Barry

Thread: Adcock& Shipley horizontal Mill
09/09/2014 12:13:59

Hi,

Found a couple of USA dealers selling them (http://www.mjvail.com/ShopAid/steelarbor.html) but at $50 or $60 each not cheap.

Have you tried G&M Tools to see if they have a used arbour and or spacers.

Regards Barry

Thread: T nuts
06/09/2014 19:41:33

Hi,

Rotagrip do a large selection of T Nuts etc. Or try RDG Tools.

Regards Barry

Thread: Bullfinch Blowtorch
03/09/2014 19:50:38

Hi Graham,

Bought my "Bullfinch" as a set from BOC on special offer. Torch and 1472, 1220 1240 and 1260 nozzles.

The two I mostly use are the 1472 for small / fine work and the 1220 or 1240 for a bit more heat. The 1260 is for heating the shed on a cold day.

Regards Barry

Thread: Cowell sensitive tailstock attachment
21/08/2014 14:22:00

I have an urge to modify my spare Boxford AUD tailstock into the Cowells type. Problem is in finding a supplier (other than a stockholders) of 1 1/16 inch Ground mild steel bar for the replacement tailstock spindle.

Anyone know of a supplier. ??

Regards

Barry

Thread: British machine tools
04/08/2014 10:31:26

Re the price of Boxford lathes.

I have the 2009 price list and for a Boxford model 280 (11" swing, 30" BC) it was £10,000 plus vat. So I guess its now about £13K.

Regards

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
mid gard rail Jan 2020
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest