By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gordon A

Here is a list of all the postings Gordon A has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: magic 127 TOOTH ?
12/01/2020 18:51:21

I use a combination of a 127T and 50T gear on a Myford ML7 to cut metric threads as this gives a ratio of 2.54 to 1.

The setup has to be run without the gear guard though!

Gordon.

Thread: electric paint sprayers
10/08/2019 23:06:43

My experience of this type of spray gun is that they are adequate, bordering on suitable for coating sheds and fences with preservative, but you will be very very lucky to get even a reasonable paint finish. Some years ago a friend of mine attempted to spray a white car with a gun of this type. The result was a car that looked like it had been coated in rice pudding !!

Gordon.

Thread: Is it bad practice to lock my Myford lathe using the slow speed lever
25/06/2019 21:30:26

The advice from an original Myford manual is as follows:

"When removing a chuck (or faceplate), do not 'yank' the chuck off with the headstock locked with the back-gear,, but set the headstock for normal back-gear drive, and after placing a piece of hardwood on the lathe bed, pull the spindle round by means of the belt so that one jaw of the chuck or slot in the faceplate strikes the wood sharply. The most obstinate chuck is released in this way, and a great deal of the load is taken from the back-gear teeth".

Myford ML7 Notes on Operation, Installation and Maintenance (No 720G , M. 3M /11/64)

A method I do not recommend is that if you have a 3 phase inverter drive that is to set a short braking time and run a 9" faceplate (anything else heavy for that matter). The spindle stops very quickly but the faceplate doesn't which necessitates some nifty footwork!! Needless to say the inverter is now set to coast to a stop. Minor damage and no injury but lesson learnt.

Thread: Belt sander recommendations
16/06/2019 20:46:01

Have a look on Youtube for DIY belt sanders. There are some very resourceful people out there.

Thread: water supply
16/06/2019 20:34:58

If I remember correctly, during the water shortage of 1976 the UK government issued the advice to "Save water and shower with a friend" !

Thread: Electricity Supply
12/06/2019 17:14:55

The government has announced that all homes in the UK will not be heated by natural gas by the middle of the century. Is the alternative electricity? . Where will it all come from?

To quote Private Fraser, "We're all doomed".

Gordon.

Thread: ML7 compound slide setup
03/03/2019 19:26:58

To quote the official Myford ML7 maual,, "Careful attention should be given to the screw adjustment to ensure an even pressure of the gib strip.When stripping the compound slides for thorough cleaning and lubrication re-adjust the slides without feed screws and screw support brackets, testing the slides by hand motion, re-assembling the feedscrew units as the last operation" (ML7 manual M.3M/11/64).

The manual also recommends an oil of 30 viscosity on cross and compoud slide ways although I tend to use slideway oil on the majority of sliding surfaces and moly grease on feedscrews.

When you re-fit the feedscrew and bracket keep the 2 bracket screws slightly loose and wind the slide in to the end stop before tightening the bracket screws to ensure best alignment.

Gordon.

Thread: Single to 3 phase invertor and smart meters
10/02/2019 20:56:09

I cannot listen to my little LW/MW/FM transistor radio in one corner of the living room since having a smart meter fitted. Lots of interference from the meter on the other side of the wall......but that's another can of worms!

Gordon.

Thread: Atlas shaper
02/01/2019 15:12:10

A very desirable piece of kit in my opinion, definitely not for scrapping!

Gordon.

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
14/12/2018 20:26:13

Just say "Cut the cr*p, let's get to the reason for your call. Would you like my bank details now?" It appears to confuse them!

Thread: The demise of the High Street
04/12/2018 20:00:37

Saw a busker in Solihull today with a sign "Cash or swipe". You can see where it's all going.

03/12/2018 20:18:53

With the rise of internet shopping and demise of the high street, how long will internet prices and delivery costs stay low?

Thread: Has this Adept shaper been repaired?
30/11/2018 21:59:56

Can't see any sign of repair in the photo's, but the castings on mine are also a little rough. Doesn't detract from the fine finish that can be achieved with these little machines though. Paid less than £100 for mine, but that was a while ago. Keep meaning to come up with some means to enable self-act as the operation is a 2 handed job otherwise. The toolpost shown is a special to enable internal keyway cutting, but a standard toolpost is easy enough to make.

Gordon.

Thread: Myford Super 7 quick change gearbox fitting
05/11/2018 21:40:00

What you say Michael makes sense, I should have realised this. My excuse is brain fade from late night posting following daughter's 30th birthday celebrations!

Thanks,

Gordon.

05/11/2018 00:05:24

According to a drawing I've found on thinternet, using the existing left hand tapped hole as reference, the first tapped hole for gearbox is 1.88 inches to the right, and the second 3.748 inches from the reference.

They seem to be very odd dimensions. Could somebody confirm please?

Gordon.

Thread: Myford ML7 - Direct or Back Gear
23/10/2018 21:37:18

You may also be aware that using backgear not only reduces speed but also increases torque.

Thread: JB cutting tools .com
20/10/2018 23:22:17

Bought some tools from the lady at the spring Stafford Classic Bike Show and she was very helpful, even threw in a spare tip for the parting tool.

Asked for a 55 deg internal thread cutting tip at the last Bristol show but she did not have one on the stand.

Promised to have one for the Midlands show and lo and behold, it was there for me yesterday.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Gordon.

Thread: One way to defeat Mr.Sod
06/09/2018 23:31:40

A boss I worked for many years ago said that if you drop a part and can't see where it went, take a similar part and drop it from the same position but watch where it goes. There are even odds that it will go somewhere near the original part....or so he reckoned!

Gordon.

Thread: Selecting and installing steel mesh for a concrete pour
19/07/2018 20:04:12

If you are planning to fasten your machinery to the concrete floor, have due regard to where the reinforcement is situated in relation to the fixing points. Drilling reinforced concrete and hitting the steel reinforcement can be a real P.I.T.A. !

Gordon.

19/07/2018 14:55:13

For raising the mesh off the hardcore, maybe something like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8x-Concrete-Reinforcing-Mesh-Supports-Chairs-per-1m2-90-100mm-Gradeplate-spacer/111150236800?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49130%26meid%3Dd7fe4895e7934ce193341c5dacee98b6%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D253664722570%26itm%3D111150236800&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

(No personal connection to the supplier)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest