By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Rhodes 2

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Rhodes 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Imperial Tube
22/04/2019 06:54:03

Hi Jeff,

West Yorkshire

Colin

21/04/2019 22:56:28

Thanks for that Jason.

i am not in MJs area but iwill try them. My lathe won't entertain 165mm, I can get it in but I cannot turn as the saddle won't pass underneath the Tube.

Colin

21/04/2019 20:27:03

It's for a 5" Gauge Merchant Navy Class

Colin

21/04/2019 20:25:38

Hi Jason,

Yes MJ. list one but they can no longer supply?

Paul,

Yes it's supposed to be 10G. The Smokebox is 10.3/16" long.

I have a 6.25 OD. Copper tube but it has a few dints in it that I mighthave to work around if I cannot find an Imperal tube supplier. My friendly neighberhood fabricating shop has rolls but cannot get down to 6" ID.

Colin

21/04/2019 19:53:28

Any ideas for a supplier. Need for a Smokebox.

Thread: Bulleid 5" Gauge Light Pacific
22/03/2019 18:32:08

Hi John,

I have just loaded to my Album several Photos showing differences

colin

22/03/2019 17:46:54

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I got my Drawings for the Ariel MN. From MJ Engineering. When I read your reply I looked at the drawing again (DWG. 19) in case I had missed someting but it shows only one tender with no variations. Your right there were several versions of tender firtted over time to these Locos. There must be a drawing for this Tender whether it is a MN. derivative or a light Pacific as the Tender came with Phosphor Bronze Bearing Block casting with the Logo SR. cast into them. they are too big to fit the Ariel Tender. Unless the previous owner had these cast to his pattern which I think is unlikely.

Colin

22/03/2019 17:01:49

Does anybody have Drawings for a 5" Light Pacific Tender That I could talk to about it? I have no idea who supplies these Drawings.

I have recently picked up a part finished tender supposedly for a 5" Merchant Navy Class Loco that I am building, but on closer inspection I find that the Tenderit has not been built to the Ariel drawings and is, among other things, a little shorter and the Horn slots are a lot wider than on the Ariel drawings. I suspect that it is a light Pacific Tender but I am far from sure. I would like to get it confirmed or not.

Thread: Cladding, Help wanted
04/03/2019 11:34:43

Hi John,

Did you get my Photographs?

Colin

28/02/2019 08:11:26

Hi John,

Re. Email I will try again. colinrhodesblueyonder.co.uk

Regards

Colin

25/02/2019 20:49:45

I have two 5" Locos that I need to start cladding. Does anybody know of any books or articles in ME. that cover it. The cladding material I do not have a problem with. But the techniques of joining the cladding where the Steam dome joins the boiler and how to join the Belpair cladding to the boiler. Also the techniques for lining up any Bolier fitting the cladding around and finishing, IE Clack valves, safety valves etc, in the Cladding. Neither of the Boilers are tapered.

Thread: Elliot Victoria Juniormil
01/05/2018 10:04:24

Bazyle,

Thanks, But it must be me .Tried both versions and got nothing

Colin

01/05/2018 09:36:14

Thanks to Paul and Philip for their help and PDFs.. One last bit for Philip Whats the full tittle for the Yahoo Forum. I have done a rudimentary search and come up blank.

Paul mine is not the omnimill bur the Juniormil, The one that the Vertical bit is detachable when going over to the horizontal function. I am still very pleased that \i came across one that had been looked after for at least the last twenty years.

Colin

30/04/2018 18:08:27

Can any member tell me if it is possible to split in two an "Elliot Victoria Juniormil"? Much like you can with a "Tom Senior"

I am going to move one these, as yet unseen and it would be a lot easier for me if it was in two halves. Any constructive replies will be welcomed.

Thread: Tool post grinding
25/04/2017 16:38:32

Thor

Confidence in your replies are now fully restored. Norton have not replied yey?

Colin

24/04/2017 14:19:12

Neil,

I didn't intend to mount the Grinding wheel on the motor. I will put a Suitable set of Picador pulleys one on the motor and one on the grinding wheel spindle then I can get somewhere near a reasonable M/S

Colin

24/04/2017 10:46:10

Thor,

I would think that 3000 RPM would run and grind but not well. The M/S. per second is very low. . I was involved with very large Grinding wheels for many years (36" x 9" x 10" Bore. and 30" x 13" x 12" Bore). and the M/S. was checked every week and adjusted as required to maintain optimum performance as to low a M/S. made them cut soft and they would wear down quickly too fast and they would glaze over.. I have contacted Norton Abrasive for there recommendations for a 5" wheel.. I had already decide that I needed to bump up the speed to about 6000 but that is limited if I use Pillow Blocks as 6000 RPM seems to at the their top end.

I will post Nortons reply.

Colin

23/04/2017 19:19:16

Hi Thor,

Thanks for your reply and welcome.. Re motor size, base on you comment. I have a Nutool bench grinder that I rarely use that puts out 125KW and running Running 5" grinding wheels at 2950 RPM I was thinking that this could solve a few problems re mounting. I could play with wheel size. I like you would not be doping anything excessive with it.

Colin

23/04/2017 12:05:58

Can anybody recommend what's the best grinding wheel diameter for a tool post grinding wheel on a Myford Super 7. Also motor HP/KW.?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest