By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for T.Swinfield

Here is a list of all the postings T.Swinfield has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bar clamp
31/07/2020 14:50:05

Thank you for your response to my query, I did like the response from hopper whack it with a hammer, spoken like a true engineer, lol smiley.

I think I will use the brass pad (cotter).

Thanks again Tony s

28/07/2020 09:11:26

Hi, sorry I was not more specific, I was reading an article on on the G H Thomas Universal Pillartool ,the first castings were slit at the back to clamp the arms to the main post, this was changed to using the brass pad, the metal i will be using is mild steel, and the bore will be a good fit on the bar.

Both methods will clamp the bar, i was not sure which was the best option.

Tony s

25/07/2020 14:59:35

Hi, can anyone tell me which is the best way of claiming a bar in a block of metal.

1. Slit the dark and use a bolt.

2. Use a 2 part cotter pin with bolt.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tony S

Thread: Motor reduction speed
29/06/2020 08:22:23

I would like to thank you all for sharing your ideas.

I think that I will have a try with the pulleys, I have some sheet aluminium to make the pulleys, maybe using timing belts, the HTD range look easier to make ( I hope).

That's again, Tony

27/06/2020 14:00:21

I have an electric motor the speed is 2850 rpm , I need to reduce the speed of the motor for use on a home built power hacksaw.

First what speed would you recommend,

Second where can I buy a gear box to do the job.

From Tony, thank you for your advice.

Thread: About slide valves
27/07/2018 22:48:16

Hi this is not the Jenny , in Engineering In Miniature there's an article on making a Double Acting Stationary Engine, I am not making this engine, but the size of the piston and cylinder is what I need for another project, the slide valve will be operated from the crank by an eccentric rod. The ports on the cylinder at 2mm wide x 2mm space x 4mm wide x 2mm space x 2mm wide, total 12mm but the valve is 15mm long.

I hope this helps .

Thank for your time , Tony s.

27/07/2018 17:34:20

Hi I have been following plans to make a steam engine, and the slide valve size is 15mm long, this is with lead, without lead it would be 12mm long, can someone tell me how this size was calculated.

Thank you for any information.

Thread: midlands model exhibition
08/11/2011 22:56:49
hello all

thank you for replying to my call for information on the engine being made at the midlands exhibition.

its nice to know that a i can ask for help and the following day people have responded.

thanks again, Tony s
07/11/2011 21:59:38
hello all
i went to the midlands exhibition and spoke to the men machining a small engine from plans, i ask what engine it was and where the plans were from, they gave me an internet address but i have lost it. i think the small engine was call "jenny" .

can anyone help with infomation

thanking you all tony s.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest