By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bernard Wright

Here is a list of all the postings Bernard Wright has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1 inch reamer
10/12/2019 17:50:55

Hi, have you tried Tracey Tools in Torquay, they often have non-standard items, usual disclaimer.

Thread: Straight Bevel Gear Question
29/06/2019 09:52:18

Hi Ian,

Pleased to hear you managed to accomplish a sound repair, did you use a tap, or did you thread cut with a ground up tip.

I bought a 6Tpi Acme insert, only to find it needed a bar bigger than the root diameter of the blank, at 6Tpi they go on to 22mm tips as opposed to others at 16mm, bugga.

I do intend to sort it, but other things are in the way at the moment.

I would appreciate pics, might just give me the spur on.

Regards,

Bernard.

28/06/2019 21:45:09

Hi Ian,

Sadly I've done nowt with the Buma, I moved to Scunny May 2017, and I'm struggling to find everything.

Doing other jobs for myself that needed fixtures or mandrels, became a real chore, especially upon finding stuff I'd already done, after making bits anew.

Also I'm a bit limited doing recreational machining, as my Wife is really suffering with Osteoarthritis in her left hip, being her hubby I'm also her Carer, so the learning curve seems like a Mandlebrot.

I started making a universal dividing head for my Clarkson, but it is taking damned weeks, again everything seems to be a 10:1 job, but I've plenty of time.....

Regards,

Bernard

Thread: Oversize ER collets
12/05/2019 01:36:53

If you still need to go the ER Collet route, Barry @ Gloster Tools (mainly on @Bay) does all the individual oversize collets, at the most reasonable prices I've come across, including free P&P.

I have NO association with Gloster other than a very satisfied customer of quite a few years.

Thread: Autocad 2000 Cant draw at a chosen angle.
29/04/2019 01:46:34

Press F8 and that turns ORTHO (Horizontal and Vertical) off.

You can then draw your lines at any angle to the degrees indicated at the curser location, press F8 again to turn it back on.

F7 for GRID on and off, F9 for SNAP on and off.

F3 for OSNAP on and off.

I use them constantly, I used to put masking tape along the top of my keyboard, and print the AutoCAD functions above the 'F' keys, don't need to do it now....

Thread: AutoCAD substitute
29/04/2019 01:32:48

Hi Folks,

Just had a look for Draftsight on the Dassault Systemes site, they're only offering the new 2019 version which has to be paid for, and the 2018 version stops working at the end of this year.

Edited...This is already covered, sorry for jumping in.

Edited By Bernard Wright on 29/04/2019 01:35:39

Thread: Straight Bevel Gear Question
21/03/2017 13:26:33

Hi Phil,

The tap I used is a proper 3/4" x 6 TPI Acme tap, but I fear Buma made their leadscrew and nut a propriety 3/4" x 6 TPI Acme, the threads on the leadscrew do seem excessively deep, and the tap will not enter their nut, indicating a smaller core diameter.

I will post some pictures in my album.

Bernard

21/03/2017 12:08:24

Hi Folks,

Thank you all for your replies, the mating gear is 12 teeth at 90 degrees, so it would be 2:1 reduction at that point, the smaller bevel is driven through a worm.

JasonB, that is the route the replacement nut follows, but a bare nut is £80+ so I'd rather play with it myself.

Andrew, this is the knowledge I seek, before tripping myself up as usual, the offer of CNC'ing a nut is attractive, I have a lump of 2" dia Aluminium Bronze, which could be tried upon, I live in North Lincolnshire, if that's reasonably driveable.

John, strangely enough I have his book (Ivan Law), but it is stored away awaiting my moving.

As a trial I tapped a lump of hollow Bronze with a 3/4" x 6 TPI Acme tap I bought at Normous Newark Autojumble for £5, but it tapped too large for the existing leadscrew, I ended up with as much play as before.

I suppose I could tap out the nut with this tap and make new leadscrew, but I would like to try the bevel gear cutting.

Regards

Bernard

21/03/2017 02:14:02

Hi Folks,

I hope someone can help me, I'm totally out of my depth with this.

I have a 'Buma' Boring Bar I'm trying to make accurate, the feed is controlled by an ACME thread of 0.75" x 6 TPI, the driven nut is bronze with a straight bevel gear machined into the top.

The threads have so much slop that a controlled cut is impossible.

I would like to try and make a new nut, but I'm struggling to calculate the bevel gear.

It has 24 teeth and I've measured the top down angle as 23.5 degrees, and the body is 1.612" in diameter.

I presume its of DP type not Module, due to it being British and quite old.

Ordering a suitable cutter shouldn't be too difficult, it's just working out by how much to tilt the diving head to get the taper tooth accurate, and calculating the root angle from the measured top angle, that the cutter needs to approach the cut.

I've a universal diving head and rotab to mount it on, to get the compound angles, if someone could point me in the right direction hopefully.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Bernard

Thread: Tightening jacobs chucks
23/01/2017 15:36:32

Everyone has their own preference, whether acquired or impressed upon through training.

I sometimes use more than one pinion hole to try to centralize whatever I'm try to hold, as a rule I only use one hole as in tailstock usage.

Also I use four differing sized drill chucks for appropriate size drills or reamers, as I don't like too much of the jaws extending out of the body, I feel this would produce bellmouthing eventually.

As for the three jaw selfcentring lathe chuck, some people tighten all three, in the past to try to centralize a workpiece, I've used more than one pinion, usually only slightly beneficial, after converting said chuck to 'GripTru', I use only one pinion adjacent to the badge.

I bought a new Pratt Burnerd three jaw chuck, which had on of the pinions marked with a zero, so I use that preferentially.

BernardW

Edited By Bernard Wright on 23/01/2017 15:37:10

Thread: How do I make a simple, flat torsion spring? (in stainless?)
07/12/2016 16:55:14

Search 'eBay' for 'Spring/Music/Piano Wire', I've bought different sizes off of there, quite reasonable prices including P&P

Thread: RDG involute gear cutters.
04/11/2016 18:06:51

cutting wormgear teeth.jpg

This is an Involute Gear Cutter from RDG, I'm using it on a shopmade arbour and didn't notice any eccentricity, maybe that was the reason..blush

The material being machined was En24T with coolant, worked extremely well, the wormbox gear is for my Son's Bantam.

Bernard

PS there's a few more photos of this in my album....

Edited By Bernard Wright on 04/11/2016 18:13:44

Thread: Another Colchester Student
19/10/2016 00:32:51

Hi, I have a Master which I believe is the bigger brother to the Student, but very similar in construction and usage.

By not engaging top speed, I presume you mean the front central lever not going from right to left (counterclockwise)

Or are you referring to the top levers, I sometimes have trouble with lefthand one not wanting to engage unless the chuck is rocked, these levers can be a source of trouble, this can give a horrible rumbling/grating noise.

As has already been mentioned the main headstock bearings are extremely expensive, prohibitively so for an aging machine.

Bernard

Thread: Running several 3 phase machines
09/09/2016 04:29:31

I use one VFD for three machines, as I'm not very good at multitasking, and can only use one machine at a time, so there are no problems at all.

Even setup a distribution board for the lathe and miller, to incorporate a changeover switch using the same breakout box, as they are close together.

The drill has its own breakout box and is routed via an extension lead, also fitted a 7 pin socket to the VFD, for the breakout box changeover.

Not sure about what the interference is though...

Bernard

Thread: Modifying a Master Roundhead
01/09/2016 08:09:14

Made some progress on my Cross-slide mod.

Machined a new thrust bearing block, to fit in its carrier on the taper turning slide.

This new block houses a single Double Angular Contact bearing, as opposed to 2 open ballraces that require preload.

However, I've now eliminated that perceived play, but that mow highlights the wear in the cross-slide screw threads.

There is an anti-backlash adjustment, but when adjusted to near zero in one spot others are too tight.

So I'll have to make another leadscrew and nut in the near future, here's a couple of links to a photo slideshow of the various stages of progress...

**LINK**

**LINK**

Bernard

Thread: Hello from Edinburgh, Scotland
15/08/2016 14:14:43

Welcome Archie, you'll find a great bunch of helpers on here, some of us are still learning, sometimes the hard way.

Bernard.

Thread: Modifying a Master Roundhead
15/08/2016 14:01:53

Thanks Michael.

Before embarking on this latest route of trying to get things how I want them now I've retired, I set about moving the Headstock over slightly to guarantee unsupported parallel turning, seems to have worked.

Then I moved the Drive Motor out of the base of the lathe to a position on the rear of the bed below the headstock.

The reason for this was to try and eliminate a vibration problem I posted about earlier, the drive belts were 78" long making the pulley centres about 3' apart, the belt wip generated by the VFD driven motor was of concern to me.

I'd almost eliminated most of the vibes but still wasn't happy, anyway I've cobbled together another YouTube photo collage.....

**LINK**

Bernard.

13/08/2016 11:36:30

Added a small collage of pics of the proposed conversion and Cross-Slide prep..

**LINK**

Bernard

13/08/2016 02:37:32

I've had several problems with my Colchester Master cross-slide arise since fitting a DRO.

I noticed with disappointment the readout on the Y axis alter as it traversed under power.

I thought of incorporating a slide stop, after taking several steps to try and eliminate the movement, through minimising backlash on the feed screw and nipping up the taper turning arrangement, but discounted that idea as potentially damaging.

However, I stripped it down again this week, with the intention of eliminating the play in the thrust bearing, which is housed in the taper turning trunnion, by replacing the two magneto type open bearings, to a single double angular contact bearing in a new housing, I also did a few mods to the slideway to aid lubrication, by grinding grooves and cross drilling for oilers.

I've Cadded up an alternative trunnion housing to my satisfaction, and will proceed this coming week.

I'll post my progress with a few pics, I might do a YouTube collage of the photos to save space on this website...

Bernard

Thread: Hello all members
11/08/2016 16:30:37

Sent you a PM

Bernard

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest