By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Roberts

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Roberts has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Death of Model Engineering?
15/11/2018 12:58:32

I don't believe that model engineering is dying out, it is changing. Some may think for the worse, some may not.

I know many younger people, mind you I'm nearly 65 so to me 'younger' carries a wide spectrum of ages, who are becoming interested in workshop activities, though they are not necessarily interested in making a steam based project.

My eldest son, now thirty, has become increasingly interested in workshop based, practical activities, though in his case he is interested in eventually building a traction engine. Mind you he works long hours and he has a young baby son so his spare time is limited, as was mine when I was his age.

Possibly model engineering should be 'renamed' amateur and model engineering (I hesitate to use the term miniature engineering on this website).

The internet is affecting model engineering as it is affecting every aspect of life. People are ordering materials etc. via the internet they are not reliant on waiting until they can get to an exhibition. We are seeing this reflected in the number of suppliers who now attend exhibitions, the disruption to their business (in terms of time away from base, not just exhibiting but the days preparing, travelling and then returning things to stock after the exhibition) and the subsequent delays on internet order processing is causing some to make the decision not to attend. Of course the cost of an exhibition stand are also part of the calculation.

There is much excellent internet content, though their is also a lot of dross mind.

The clickspring site is, at least to me an, example of an excellent site with good content and with good clear explanations. It is not model engineering but it is amateur clockmaker/small scale machine building. Check out the content on the replica Antikythera mechanism. Check out his workshop made tools etc..

As I say the hobby is changing, change happens, that's life.

Trefor

Thread: Cheap 3D printers
09/11/2018 11:57:12

Myfordboy has done quite a lot on 3d printers.

**LINK**

https://m.youtube.com/user/myfordboy/videos

Edited By Trevor Roberts on 09/11/2018 12:00:36

Thread: Cutting a keyway without a broach
09/11/2018 09:39:40

Have a look at this link.

**LINK**

Clickspring is an interesting site. There is a link to him using the cutter, I think t is him making a keyway in a pulley.

Regards

Here is the link to the pulley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4apNy_2AB8&t=0s&index=3&list=PLZioPDnFPNsHepuEmjmiRiuXYZrHnu7QY

Edited By Trevor Roberts on 09/11/2018 09:42:47

Thread: Don Young's Mountaineer
04/12/2017 16:07:09

Thanks t those who replied, I've been away for a few days. Hopefully I will know over thenext few days which magazines I can access.

Trevor

30/11/2017 09:17:49

Thanks a lot.

I have found the numbers, now to find the issues.

29/11/2017 19:52:03

Hi

Does anyone know if there were any write ups/build notes for Don Young's Mountaineer?

Trevor Roberts

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest