By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Collier

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Collier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What are you reading?
20/03/2020 08:35:53

The Coming Plague, by Laurie Garrett. Re-reading as it was published about 1995 and I read it years ago. About emerging diseases, with an emphasis on the emergence of HIV.

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
18/03/2020 02:29:38

I have just received notice that the AALS Annual Convention has been cancelled. This is held at Easter each year, hosted by one of a few willing clubs, and is a major gathering of model engineers from around Australia (and NZ).

16/03/2020 10:02:29

At Sydney LSLS our public running days have been cancelled until further notice. A special run for disabled kids is cancelled also. Members will continue with Saturday work days at the grounds.

Thread: Fast bit of engineering work.
12/02/2020 20:22:31

Our club treasurer has a cobalt containing hip from a model that were found to be releasing cobalt into the blood. Not bad enough to remove, but his blood Co levels are monitored. I hope yours is not a dodgy model. Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Thread: Ink jet printer woes
30/01/2020 19:55:52

It will not print if any cartridge is "empty". Until this recent problem, it has been very good. I've only used genuine ink. Thanks for all the replies and advice. I don't think I could live with just black and white prints.

30/01/2020 01:53:03

i just tried RMA's method. It did not work. It is still demanding a new black ink cartridge.

The 73N cartridges are still available but no longer in Woolworths. I have to go to Officeworks.

29/01/2020 23:50:24

Thanks RMA, for your detailed advice. I will give it a try. Nothing to lose!

Thread: High Speed Drilling Attachment by pottyengineering
29/01/2020 22:00:15

Interesting Stew. I have just finished my first injector from D Brown's book, the 26 oz. The smallest drill I used was about 0.7mm and I just held it in the big chuck on my lathe, with the 5/16 stock held in a 5C collet, and drilled at 1100 rpm, the fastest without changing the double motor belts. To change the latter I have to move the motor on its plate, hence, I have never changed it. The second operations on the cones was done on another lathe, with an accurate chuck, at only 500 rpm. I am about to go out and steam up my engine in the driveway to test it. I am not hopeful, as it was a very demanding job and several things did not go too well.

Recently I was searching around for your injector making stuff, but I could not find the whole story in one place and you seem not to have a web site.

Thread: Ink jet printer woes
29/01/2020 21:49:48

The cartridge resetting devices are only about $12. I was hoping someone might have used one. I often use the printer to print out CAD drawing to glue onto, e.g., copper for boiler plates. The prints are accurate to size, and obviously must be. I have read that ink jets don't like infrequent use and that seems to be true for mine. I am aware of the shafts, thanks.

29/01/2020 20:29:58

My 10 year old Epsom printer decided a fairly new black cartridge was empty. I bought a new one checking to ensure that it was in date. Same thing happened. Indicated ink level went down before my eyes when I was not even printing much at all. I have seen little gadgets online to reset the cartridges so the printer thinks they are full again. Has anybody used these? This is infuriating as I know the expensive cartridge is full! Should I just buy a new printer? I don't use it often since I retired as club secretary, but I do need one occasionally.

Thread: Trapeziectomy
29/01/2020 20:14:26

Same, Neil. Thumbs have always been hypermobile, pretty much guaranteeing later arthritis. Most unhelpful in the workshop.

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 04:49:13

There aren’t enough pills in the MIMS index to calm me down. Only avoidance of the news media helps. You have pretty much said it all. The lack of logic and critical thinking is most of the problem. The subversion of the education system is where it starts. Dogma, and politically correct truths, not open minds and hearing all sides. Climatology is the obvious current example, where an impossibly complex system is reduced to absurdly simplistic notions.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
04/12/2019 19:37:27

Manuals are very rare these days here in Sydney. I doubt if there is a manual hire car anywhere. As for new cars, I think you'd struggle to find one.

Thread: Soldering a tender
04/12/2019 10:41:49

I did not have a happy time trying to solder up my tender kit. I used tin/ lead solder and Bakers fluid flux. I borrowed a 300 watt iron but did not have much joy with it and mostly used flame. I learned to clamp brass square bar to the plates to prevent warping upon heating. It leaked like a sieve and just days ago, I used petrol tank sealant to seal it. Thankfully this worked and completely sealed the tank.

Thread: Decent drawings for an LNER A-3
04/12/2019 08:36:14

This extremely detailed build log of the A3, using the design of Don Young, should be enough to scare you off. The quality of Pete's work is amazing

http://modeleng.proboards.com/thread/5733/building-don-youngs-doncaster

Thread: Annealing Brass
01/12/2019 09:14:14

I had to anneal the 0.8 mm brass one piece cladding for my Springbok loco several times to be able to roll it with 3' rolls. I used a large propane torch and heated to just dull red. You have to be careful as you can melt thin brass, but it certainly did anneal and the job was completed satisfactorily. I also anneal brass half round beading to be able to coax it around tight curves edge on. Also brass angle to go around the boiler to spectacle plate joint, etc. it is a routine procedure in my workshop.

Thread: Adding cladding for a large boilered Tich ... is it worth the effort?
04/11/2019 20:32:37

If there is room for cladding, I would add it. It will look better even if it just finishes at the cab. But with the fat boiler, I bet the tanks are hard up against it. Proud firebox stay heads must be accommodated too. Use something like 0.4 mm brass. If no room, paint the copper as intended. If done properly the paint will be OK. Use high temperature paint if you are worried. And less work if you are struggling with progress.

I was driving a friend's standard Tich just last Sunday. Great fun.

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
31/10/2019 06:23:08

Mine is interlocked and a very good left arm rest when filing in the lathe. If it is in the way, I can lift it until it just doesn’t trip, and hold it there with a strap. This gives access to work in collets, etc.. in contrast, the mill chuck guard came off on day one.

Thread: New lathe?
02/10/2019 01:18:05

Vastly better, I would say. I had bought my lathe and taught myself to turn before I learned that there were lathes that didn’t have power cross feed! Buy it and keep the 7 if you can. Once you have 2 lathes, you wonder how you ever got by with one. One good thing about my Ml7 (acquired much later) is the Pratt 3 jaw is very accurate. You have to satisfy yourself about the condition of the Emco, of course.

Thread: Half round brass beading
28/09/2019 10:43:14

How many watts is your iron Jason? I've been struggling with my brass tender tank using a torch and a borrowed 300 W soldering iron. I've no previous experience of soft soldering and I'm hating every minute of it. I've dragged it out for a year so far.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest