By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Collier

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Collier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Adding cladding for a large boilered Tich ... is it worth the effort?
04/11/2019 20:32:37

If there is room for cladding, I would add it. It will look better even if it just finishes at the cab. But with the fat boiler, I bet the tanks are hard up against it. Proud firebox stay heads must be accommodated too. Use something like 0.4 mm brass. If no room, paint the copper as intended. If done properly the paint will be OK. Use high temperature paint if you are worried. And less work if you are struggling with progress.

I was driving a friend's standard Tich just last Sunday. Great fun.

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
31/10/2019 06:23:08

Mine is interlocked and a very good left arm rest when filing in the lathe. If it is in the way, I can lift it until it just doesn’t trip, and hold it there with a strap. This gives access to work in collets, etc.. in contrast, the mill chuck guard came off on day one.

Thread: New lathe?
02/10/2019 01:18:05

Vastly better, I would say. I had bought my lathe and taught myself to turn before I learned that there were lathes that didn’t have power cross feed! Buy it and keep the 7 if you can. Once you have 2 lathes, you wonder how you ever got by with one. One good thing about my Ml7 (acquired much later) is the Pratt 3 jaw is very accurate. You have to satisfy yourself about the condition of the Emco, of course.

Thread: Half round brass beading
28/09/2019 10:43:14

How many watts is your iron Jason? I've been struggling with my brass tender tank using a torch and a borrowed 300 W soldering iron. I've no previous experience of soft soldering and I'm hating every minute of it. I've dragged it out for a year so far.

Thread: How much is a Chinese made GWR 5 gauge 14xx loco?
10/08/2019 11:17:16

I urge you to forget it, Simon. A friend bought a 4MT direct from China and it needs a huge amount of work to make it run, re-engineering really. As he is not a model engineer, he is paying another member to do the work, but one problem leads to another, and the repairer is tearing his hair out with frustration. It won't end up cheap, and it won't happen quickly.

Thread: Lathe - dead centre wont reach the workpiece
09/08/2019 08:15:27

I have the same problem, with the digital readout cover effectively making the cross slide quite a bit wider. It has been a constant frustration, but the acquisition of a second lathe largely solved the problem. There has never been a situation where switching the tool to the RHS of the toolpost has solved the problem, but angling the topslide away helps some.

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 00:19:14

I share your contempt.

Thread: Remembering Apollo 11
17/07/2019 00:18:31

It was the friendly time of about 1 pm here. I took the day off school as I thought it way too important not to watch in comfort. The film The Dish is great and quite charming, however the first 2 plus minutes of the transmission came through Honeysuckle Creek outside Canberra before switching over to the Parks radio telescope. So annoyed at this forgotten contribution was one bloke that he wrote a book called Honeysuckle Creek.

Thread: Blower pipe V blower ring.
14/07/2019 22:22:39

Like the blast nozzle, you want the blower holes concentric to the chimney so the blower will be more efficient, using less steam, and yes, more draught from a given volume. It is not difficult to make a blower ring with 3 or 4 holes. I use the rotary table and 1 mm holes. Some angle them so they point at the choke of the petticoat which probably also helps. I read an article somewhere on hole sizes in the blower ring and what was optimal but I can't recall where.

Thread: Supaburner's for Model & Toy Steam Boilers Explained
13/07/2019 10:36:55

Thanks for answers. One more, what diameter is the burner tube? Sorry if you said it in the video.

13/07/2019 07:44:39

Looks impressive. Did you actually crimp the end trapping the wick fibres? Not ideal for silver brazing I would have thought. Also, is the lid an air tight fit, or just lacking a breather hole? Third question: how many burners to replace the 4 wick x 1/4" diameter burner I made for my Ellie tram? The wicks are ceramic by the way, a step up from fibreglass. 4). Any reason not to have 2 or more burners supplied by the same tank?

Your workshop is indecently tidy and orderly. I am jealous, as mine is like a commando training obstacle course.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Top Slide Base - Alternatives?
25/06/2019 22:51:18

Would it be possible to machine away the damaged spigot section and turn a replacement and screw it on? I'm only going on the photo as I am unfamiliar with the S7 topslide. You'd need access to another lathe, of course.

Thread: Superheaters in the Firebox
24/06/2019 22:36:49

The 5/16 stainless 316 elements in my Springbok go to the back of the firebox. They have TIG welded spear point joins. I'm pretty sure taking them to the back is standard. No need for support.

Thread: Warco Mini Lathe
22/06/2019 12:55:46

Martin, the V in the saddle really was wider ( and horribly machined) than the prism it sat on in the SC3 I mentioned above. The saddle could be grabbed and rotated. The shim, and adjusting the saddle plate at the back, were an easy solution. Why wouldn't you try this very easy method first?

22/06/2019 07:23:20

A friend's SC 3 had this problem. It made the lathe unusable. The fix was very easy once I diagnosed what was going on. I simply put a sheet of thin brass shim between the saddle and the bed at the front ways. It was not fixed in any way, but nevertheless it moved with the saddle. I chucked a length of 1" bms about 8" long with tailstock support and took a cut with the finest lead screw feed and sharp HSS tool. Beautiful finish. Lathe transformed into a capable machine.

It is appalling that machines like this are sold, especially to beginners who are least able to understand the faults and fix them where possible.

Thread: Historic Frogs
20/06/2019 11:20:38

How about Freddo Frogs, the chocolate ones.

Thread: Boiler cross tube leak.
20/06/2019 08:11:05

Before you do anything heroic, put some fine white pepper in the boiler and hydro it again. Leave it pressurised for a while. There is a good chance the pepper will calk the weep. No need to trouble any boiler inspectors with that little detail. It would probably " take up" with a few steaming anyway.

Thread: Making High Speed Steel Injector D Bits
16/06/2019 02:22:31

I tried something similar a couple of months back69752a73-45e7-4dd1-890c-7a3c0b3b6fac.jpeg

Thread: aching ribs - posture
17/05/2019 10:25:34

I dragged my large copper sheet out from behind the lathe a couple of weeks ago to cut some off. I have since paid half as much on chiropractors as the 3 mm full sheet cost! I often feel pain in the ribs that is referred from the spine.

Thread: Turning Cast Iron question - Health & Cleaning Up
06/05/2019 09:12:32

I have a pump pack of sorbolene cream in the workshop and roll of quality paper towel. I do a preliminary hand wash with this. Then inside in the bathroom I have a dedicated workshop hand towel for the initial soap and water wash. I love cast iron and don't share the common objection to machining it, although it does get in your nose and lungs to some extent.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest