By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Collier

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Collier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: bronze
03/01/2021 21:03:36

I silver solder LG2 all the time including boiler bushes.

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
31/12/2020 20:30:18

Amazing work. How many hours a week do you reckon you spend in the workshop and computer, ie, all ME activities Jason? I have a tremendously productive mate, who can build a standard gauge detailed tender engine in under two years, including boiler naturally, and it is simply because he puts in huge hours. No mystery.

Thread: Improved performance over standard V belts?
31/12/2020 20:20:35

I wish I had fitted one to my Hercus when a new belt was needed. It would have saved two weeks of difficult, aggravating, stressful work, and a new pair of tapered roller bearings as I damaged the originals because of my inexperience.

Thread: Christmas Disasters!
30/12/2020 23:18:43

Christmas Day I was in bed with severe shingles. Visitors for Christmas were cancelled, but we managed roast pork dinner for just wife and me. Still in bed.

2019 Christmas, my beloved dog was in vet hospital with acute autoimmune thrombocytopenia. Despite blood transfusion and surgery things went from bad to worst and I called it on Christmas Day and put her down, brought her home and buried her. $12,500 for dead dog. The most I have ever spent on a car was $8000. Setting up the workshop cost $6500 initially for lathe, mill and grinder.

I am not looking forward to next Christmas!

Thread: Virtual Meet Ups
28/12/2020 21:11:57

I should be able to join this one, and thanks for making it a suitable time. I have not done any of these zoom type things before so will need instructions please.

Thread: New DVD Player/hard drive recorder
22/12/2020 22:15:27

I hate that! I had to print instructions for my new Iwata airbrush. Badger had a booklet with it.

The central question is is the super high end one better and more robustly built wrt electronics. Better quality boards etc.. I want it to last me out. I am sick of circuit boards failing, like my SX 3 mill drill, and my LG air conditioner, the main board of which failed and was replaced twice in its about 15 year life. Both main board and control board of SX 3 have failed. The digital readout on my lathe failed. Boards unavailable; had to buy new whole unit for $600. I know nothing of electronics so can't fix anything myself.

22/12/2020 20:14:48

My Panasonic Blueray player- recorder and hard drive recorder refuses to play discs. A new reader is about $A330. The remote also is playing up, probably worn out as unit is used as receiver for last 9 years. It was close to top of range when bought. I can buy a new one similar for $900, or a flagship high end unit for $1500. I don't need all the new tricks as my DVD library is not even Bluray, just old discs of favourites like Dads Army, All Creatures, Brideshead, etc.. I want longevity as in 10 years, you probably won't be able to buy them. Might the top model have higher quality electronic components than the consumer models? Or will it just have more wiz-bang stuff you never use?

Thread: Professional Rotary Broach
22/12/2020 19:56:37

Cello, your workmanship reminds me of the laudable Graham Meek.

Thread: The demise of Australian Model Engineering Magazine
19/12/2020 21:26:08

We have some articles in preparation which I suppose will now be sent to ME. I was not going to resubscribe to ME because of the missing issues episode, but I will now, as otherwise I will have nothing popping into the letterbox.

Thread: Drilling through bronze
19/12/2020 21:18:06

Can we can we assume sharp drill with even length flutes? Piston valves should be able to float a bit on their spindles anyway so the valves can self centre if the spindle is not dead parallel to the bore. I made a split collet for my 7/8 piston valves so I could end to end them without marking the surfaces, and used 4 jaw and DTI for these critical jobs.

Thread: How accurately are you tramming your mini mills?
19/12/2020 21:06:30

I just rotated the head to be perpendicular to the table on my SX3 and it seems fine. Perhaps I got a good one.

19/12/2020 01:13:42

I got my last issue yesterday, with Barry Potter's NSW 24 class loco on the cover. Barry scaled this from full size plans and it is highly detailed, like all of his locos. img_0242.jpg

Thread: Case hardening a part with tapped holes.
19/12/2020 00:55:59

You could experiment with a bit of scrap with a couple of tapped holes. Case harden, put in vice and torque up M5 screws tight. Or, you could put screws/grub screws in the holes before treatment so threads are protected from the hardening compound. This would also keep the threads clean.

Thread: Citric Acid Pickle Question
17/12/2020 06:38:47

Citric acid grows bugs unless you take measures, like putting a bit of bleach in it. I use it for small brass fittings in the workshop but for anything larger, it goes in the sulphuric outside the workshop. I make fresh small amounts of citric if it has been more than a few days. The real nightmare in the workshop is HCl, as in Bakers fluid.

Thread: First Test of a DIY Steam Turbine running off a 4" Copper MSM Boiler.
17/12/2020 06:27:53

Did you see the recent series on turbines in ME? It was very detailed and would be a good guide for better efficiency. A turbine for say, a loco headlight, eg, DHR B, would want to be thrifty on steam. But if yours is just for fun, it doesn't matter.

17/12/2020 02:18:01

Pretty exciting. It would be good to have an idea of the rpm. Also the design of the turbine. Sorry if you have posted details before and I missed them. A lot of fun, as you say.

09/12/2020 06:35:22

I have just learned that AME is to cease publication, with the Jan-Feb 2021 issue to be the last. A while back, it became subscription only with no distribution to newsagents. Even though contributors have never been paid, apparently advertising has diminished and this plus subscriptions are not enough to continue production and postage. It has been going about 33 years I think, with six issues per year. We have essentially eliminated covid 19 so I doubt that that is a significant factor. This is unexpected and distressing news.

Thread: 5 inch gauge wheel standards
04/12/2020 20:59:11

You might have a look at the AALS standard

https://www.aals.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/5-inch-gauge-track-wheel-standards.pdf

Thread: Non-renewable energy
29/11/2020 03:07:24

Interesting about the naval ship data Martin but I wonder if they used Stevenson screens, and anyway, I was referring to continental land masses.

We in NSW are presently enduring an unprecedented (that word again) heat wave in what officially is still spring until 1st December. Sydney and most of the state had 40+ degrees yesterday, overnight min of 29-30, and 40 odd today. A cooling Southerly change is due this evening. Summers have got hotter in my lifetime and winters milder, that is certain whatever the drivers.

28/11/2020 06:52:41

I believe the following to be true although I can't provide references without going to more trouble than I care to:

reliable, standardised temperature records for the last hundred years are available for only very few places, such as the UK and Eastern US, there are scant records for most of the planet, so how do we know what global temperatures have been doing; senior climate scientists whose research doesn't support the prevailing dogma have been refused publication and hounded out of jobs; computer models of chaotic systems are exquisitely sensitive to imput variables; those who decide what variables to imput are scientists in whose interests it is to support the prevailing narrative. The most rabid groups screaming for "action on climate change", demanding that we listen to the science, and who likely eschewed maths, physics and chemistry at school, will rapidly retreat from the much simpler science of genetics, into magical thinking, and will abuse and vilify you, if you suggest that XX = female and XY = male, or that someone with blond hair and blue eyes isn't " indigenous".

I tend to believe that human augmented warming is real, but I worry about the forces at work. Ultimately, the planet has only a single problem: vastly too many humans. You won't get politicians or ecologists going anywhere near that one.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest