By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Old Elan

Here is a list of all the postings Old Elan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: First Unread Post
12/04/2013 18:56:01

Most of the forum sites I subscribe to seem to have a 'first unread post' button.

I can't find one here.

Am I being dense or doesn't one exist here?

Thread: Startrite Bantam pillar drill
07/03/2013 15:11:53

You could try these guys. http://www.machinespares.net/?gclid=CKPGmtPx6rUCFRDKtAodwHcAQg They were very helpful with my Mercury but they don't seem to have much listed at the moment.

Thread: pillar drill column
16/01/2013 15:05:10

Ian

Have you tried these guys? http://www.machinespares.net/document-library/select-machine-type.php?brand_id=1 They do Startrite spares.

Although they have no 'to buy' on the column they may be able to source one for you. Probably not cheap either, though....

Thread: What we did with Jason's bronze
11/01/2013 13:29:14

Sorry to say that my piece is still on the floor behind the settee in the conservatory along with my last steel purchases!

Christmas, New Year and all that.........

Edited By Old Elan on 11/01/2013 13:32:49

Thread: Black Five, Jinty or 4F - 3" or 5" gauge - for a Beginner?
09/02/2012 15:59:00
Posted by Dithering on 29/01/2012 12:38:21:
Peter,

Thanks for the encouragement. It's nice to know that other people don't start until they've retired. Best of luck with Speedy.

Clive,

I've had a look at your short list and I must say that I like the Y4 more than the others - not enough to want to spend my life building it though!

Now, here's a question for everyone: Is my first locomotive also going to be my last? I mean, I'm 65 and reasonably healthy so how many can I build between now and when I get too feeble?

The difference it makes is that if I can only expect to make one locomotive then it must be my heart's desire. I

Brian.

Oh, yes, how I understand all this dithering!

Speedy was the engine that inspired me. That was when I was at school and the loco was exhibited in a local hardware shop window. I bought the book about 5 years ago but I have yet to cut metal.

Why? I was still working at the time. Now at 60 I too ask the question as to if my choice of model will be the one and only. My preference is for outside gear and a prototype, a la Speedy. Now, though, they seem to have become a bit common place.

The Y4 seems a good bet with lots of support from the Hewsons. However, it's not my cup of tea either.

I am now tempted to try a Midge simply because it looks relatively simple, similar length to Speedy and less fiddely for my stumpy fingers. It will be easier to drive on a ground level track too.

I suppose it will work out more expensive and a tad weightier but if it's to be the only engine.......

It should be one's heart's desire but could one, must one, compromise?

Brian, I sympathise!
Thread: Wheel Dressing
07/09/2011 08:57:45
Posted by Nigel Parkinson on 06/09/2011 16:21:38:

The first activity is trueing. Off-hand grinders do not normally get trued.

The second activity is dressing. Dressing is normally done with a star wheel or one of the multi-point diamond tools.

I'm not sure I understand why one wouldn't want to true an off hand wheel. My plan is to make Ggrinding rest a la HH one to do lath tools acurately.. Surely one would want as flat a face as possible?

It looks as though the bar type diamond dresser will be for me or maybe I will try a stick first as that I perceive the flat face to be able to both true and dress at the same time.

Or am I totally wrong?

Thanks for the replies.

Edited By Roy Jewell on 07/09/2011 08:58:30

06/09/2011 15:26:17
I've searched in the normal places but can't find much on how and what tool to use for dressing off hand grinder wheels.
There seems to be three types of dresser. The 'old fashoned' wheel type, the diamond point and the diamond encrusted bar on a handle.
Which is best and what is the correct way to use them?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest