By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Edward

Here is a list of all the postings Edward has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Atlas / Kalamazoo Drill Grinding Attachment
31/12/2011 17:38:46

I recently received a potential useful drill grinding attachments (shown below), which is the Atlas W30, or latterly the Atlas 2915; the same design had also been sold by Kalamazoo Industries.

It seems that these attachments were manufactured between 1940 to 1965, and appear to be much more functional and robust than the cheap, low cost, die-cast units, but not as expensive as the dedicated, floor-mounted machines.

However, I have not yet but been able to find any documentation. Would anyone be so kind to send me a scan of the instructions?

Edward

Thread: Current Issue
15/07/2011 15:14:02
Posted by David Clark 1 on 15/07/2011 14:37:19:
Hi there
The magazine was otherwise complete when I was asked to put the press release in.
The only page left in ME and MEW was smokerings and eds bench.
regards David

In which case, the management should not have expected you compromise your editorial integrity by asking you to place blatant advertising material on what is intended as a dedicated editorial page.

After all, they would have had the option to hold it over until space became available on appropriate page in a later edition, to reallocate some of the space allocated to in-house advertisements, or to add an additional four pages including the advertorial.

Edward
15/07/2011 13:51:23
Posted by David Clark 1 on 14/07/2011 20:23:00:
It is news about an advertiser offering a long guarantee.
It was a press release and I was asked to run it by the office.
regards David

David

I have to agree with Jim Nolan. In my opinion the item concerned was a pure advertising puff, and had nothing to do with editorial content or comment. Publication of such material, whether it be advertorial or press release, only tends to undermine the editorial integrity of the publication.

The correct place for such stuff would be the "Trade Counter" pages.

Edward
Thread: Search Fields
08/07/2011 21:57:43
Posted by David Clark 1 on 08/07/2011 21:37:52:
Hi There
No you can't.
We tried this and it returned so many entries it was of no use.
regards david

If that is the case, then how do all the other forums mange to make it work satisfactorily?

Perhaps a change to professional and widely used forum software, such as vBulletin, or SMF or phpBB would improve the user experience, increase the footfall, and generate more advertising/clickthru revenue.

08/07/2011 19:49:07
DEAR EDITOR & DEAR WEBMASTER

Sadly, the forum search feature is, IMHO, pathetic. Restricting searches to Thread Title is like a library full of reference books without indices - lots of content but no way of finding the relevant pages, or for that matter the authors of those pages.

Almost all of the other online forums allow searching not only by thread title, but also by thread content, name of member/poster, and date range.

Trying to find threads or posts in model-engineer.co.uk is, by comparison, like wading through treacle.

Please, PLEASE, P L E A S E, could we have a proper search facility?

Thread: Does Anyone offer a Lathe Add-on CNC Kits?
29/05/2010 19:15:46
A compromise alternative is the Electronic Lead Screw:
The website explains it all.
Thread: Files for Filing Machine?
29/11/2009 18:37:22
Recently, I was fortunate enough to acquire a filing machine that was about to be dispatched for scrap.  It has good bearings, is well balanced, and works very well.  The only problem seems to be in obtaining the parallel-sided files with parallel shanks to fit these machines. I have only the worn 1/4" round and 1/4" square items that were with the machine when I found it.

Does anyone know of a present-day supplier?

Edward

Edited By Edward on 29/11/2009 18:38:08

Thread: Seeking article on Bench Drill upgrade
29/11/2009 18:25:52
Peter,

My grateful thanks to you for finding this information.

MEW Issue 40 has the particular article that I recall.  I had tried several textual searches of Colin Usher's MEW and ME indices, but obviously failed to think of any of the specific words used in the title of the article.

Edward
28/11/2009 22:53:38
I seem to recall seeing an article on upgrading an Asian manufactured bench drill to improve the quill slides/bearings, but am unable to locate it.

Can anyone point me to the article?  I can't really justify the expense of a 'proper' bench drill, but am frustrated by the sloppiness of the item I currently use.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne; London MES
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest