By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DerryUK

Here is a list of all the postings DerryUK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MEW 186 - Electronic Lathe Control
21/01/2012 10:21:42
Why do people have to whinge and moan so much on this forum.

Don't tell me about the things you don't like, start your own thread and tell me about the things you do like.

Derry.
20/01/2012 18:16:43
I enjoyed TJs article but rather than have an electronic box do the work is there any software (prefferably Linux so free) that will do the same using a PC?

Derry.
Thread: Myford headstock bearings
04/12/2011 17:36:45
MEW 139 and 171 cover adjustments as part of a rebuilding series.
Thread: MEW, would less be more?
03/12/2011 20:52:11
If you want a spreadsheet version of an MEW index there is mine
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlJR4IC3eMhZdE1tTVBPZklPN1hXLTNYSHNmcjA2NXc&hl=en_GB#gid=0

In my comment column I have added any paragraph headings used for a bit more detail and helps to refine any searches. Latterly though writers tend not to use them (paragraph headings) which is a shame.
Thread: Copies of Old Model Engineer magazines on disk?
27/11/2011 09:05:34

<The MEN site issued a load of engine plans on DVD/CD a few years ago>

The plans are still available, look here under engines in the index.

http://modelenginenews.org/

MEN is one of the nicest web sites around. Stuffed full of information from the last decade and not an advert in sight!

Derry.
Thread: New Blocks on the Block
16/11/2011 11:57:47
I wished I knew who worked for whom around here. These days I am never sure if I am reading a good tip on the forum or an advert!

Derry.
Thread: russian engine plan!
13/11/2011 02:33:47

<I don't know when schneurle porting first came into use commercially>
Funnily enough Ron adds some detail about Schnurle on his excellent webste this month:

http://modelenginenews.org/

Derry.
Thread: Model Engineer Exhibition ME and MEW reader's free offer
04/11/2011 20:25:37
If your tickets are transferable put them on ebay.
Thread: Can get ME but not MEW?
24/10/2011 20:26:24
... and subscription = free gift <s>.

Derry.
Thread: pitt bull carriers,
20/10/2011 14:50:02
I get stuff delivered all the time. When I sign I am signing for receipt only.

You cannot ask the delivery person to wait while you unpack your telly, connect it to the mains and aerial, tune it in then declare that it works and you are happy with it. Life is too short and they have to make a living.

I've had no trouble so far returning damaged/unworking items. At worst I have had to take to an item to the post office but most companies arrange collection these days.

The one exception is ebay where too many (private) sellers (but not all) get high-handed and you have to get ebay involved. Even here though I have always had a satisfactory outcome.

Derry.
Thread: midlands model exhibition
19/10/2011 16:42:23
<I was getting shoved around a bit by the crowds>
So this year I went on the Tuesday, it was quiet and very pleasant.

Derry.
Thread: oil
29/09/2011 20:59:29
soot comes from combustion not bearing mangling.

If you want to chop up a multigrade use it in a modern engine where it shares it's life with a gearbox.

The bottom line is use what the manufacturer recommends as a start.

Derry.
Thread: MEW 182 - Wot no ...
28/09/2011 20:27:32
... letters page this month?

I must write in and complain!!

Derry.
PS just joshing folks, I never complain about MEW
Thread: Most stable small workbench design to date?
27/09/2011 20:42:01
I always screw my workbench to the wall. It don't move much.

Derry.
Thread: electronics
18/09/2011 16:03:50
I did a course on electronics and we used this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Introduction-Electronic-Circuits/dp/0521478790

as the course book.

It's been on my shelf since and I still refer to it. It's stuffed full of practical circuits to illustrate a point and includes component values so you can build the circuit to try out for yourself.

Derry.

Thread: Proof reading, what proof reading ?
29/08/2011 16:48:56
<Anthony quite rightly says on a canard the from wings are there for stability, on the Eurofighter RAF Typhoon, they are responsible for its fantastic handling, ie they stabilise an otherwise unstable device>

A bit more to it than that. Traditionally a tailplane would add stability so a foreplane would add instability.

However, the big plus with foreplanes especially at high speed where the A/C centre of lift moves aft is that they generate lift and share the load.

Derry.
28/08/2011 14:23:15
On the one hand it's all done to the minimum cost as a publisher. On the other as a writer if you get paid per page then padding things out with photos (and sometimes redundant text) puts the price up.

So, based on the above, things won't or aren't likely to change.

However, how about having volunteer proof readers?

Derry.
Thread: Time for reflection
25/08/2011 21:43:47
What I do here matters not one jot generally, but I come because there are things here that I like and I find them interesting.

I have stopped going to other forums on the internet because I found them not to my taste for various reasons (usually the users attitude.) I didn't tell them I was not going any more because I matter not a jot but, if enough people stop going perhaps they will change. I checked back recently and they haven't changed, in fact they have started berating the forum I switched too!

Derry.
PS it was not a forum on this subject I stopped attending
PPS sorry about the jots, it's a handy little word though, a bit like tad

Thread: digital tv switchover
22/08/2011 21:36:41
I bought my aerials from these guys. If you have a couple of hours to spare there is more info here than you can shake a stick at ...

http://aerialsandtv.com/

Derry.
PS I fitted a log periodic
Thread: deleting old thread
21/08/2011 16:31:41
The thing about shouting and capitals has come about for no good reason in my book. You cannot shout when writing. You can be more or less dramatic perhaps.Mixed case is more readable perhaps.

If you look around the real world we are surrounded by upper case but no one suggests that they are being shouted at all the time (though the choice of font has an impact here.)

When I started with computers (mainframes) everything was in capitals, the system didn't understand otherwise. We didn't all end up gibbering idiots because of it (apart from one.)

But then again computers are built for rules and conventions, just try using one.

LONG LIVE UPPER CASE.

DERRY.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest