By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DerryUK

Here is a list of all the postings DerryUK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Please don't do aYahoo!
30/08/2013 16:34:28

Is it Yahoo global? The Triumph Daytona group I use still looks the same.

Thread: Cotswold Heritage Alternator
10/08/2013 06:25:57

Jeff I have no experience of the Cotswold but I do have some with Lucas motorcycle alternators. It seems to me you could build yourself a small rig for one and use this for your 15w load.

Besides the alternator you would need an AC voltmeter and ammeter and variable resistor as a load (W=V x A).

I have logged the ouput of some Lucas alternators and my rig here ...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/157398820/Testing-Lucas-Alternators-Aug-2013

What alternator rpm did you hvae in mind?

Thread: Warco GH1322 start up
04/08/2013 15:49:56

<What on earth were/are they thinking off doing it like that, especially those buttons virtually out of reach?>

You don't have to stand as far away as in the picture Geoff and the lever is at pocket height, where my hand normally is

Derry.

04/08/2013 10:19:50

<There does not seem to be a nice large clutch gear lever to do forward, reverse and switch it on>

As JS suggested this lever is on the right of the carriage low down. Mine has a bright red knob on it.

I had exactly the same problem as you when my lathe was delivered from Warco so I phoned them up for instructions.

The Grizzly manual above is the one. It's a shame Warco don't do similar.

Derry.

Thread: Ignition circuit problem ???
28/06/2013 20:18:31

My motorbike with an electric starter runs an 11ah battery so yours should be OK. Maybe you have a duff coil, measure it's current consumption it should be no more than 3 - 4A with the points closed and engine stationary. It will be less than this with the engine running.

Derry.

Thread: MEW 203 and motion controllers
30/05/2013 09:51:10

I still don't get it really.

<when I put a 5i25 in it>

What were you using instead of the 5i25 previously John?

Derry.

28/05/2013 20:25:27

I was interested in what Marcus had to say about motion controllers (CNC in the ME workshop) but I am a little unsure how they overcome jitter.

Does a motion controller download all the commands from the PC first before starting a machining process?

Thread: Model engineering resources
24/04/2013 09:46:44

I'll second that.

To use, it's one of the best sites on the web bar none.

Thread: Targeted Ads?
19/04/2013 10:05:07

I use DoNotTrackMe by abine. This plugin also tells you how many others your where abouts is being passed on to. One site I visit would pass my where abouts on to 15 others!

Thread: Lathe Accuracy Problems
11/04/2013 21:34:11

<It is seriously annoying as well as a complete waste of the threadwriters time.>

It has happened on other websites to me as well so I am not sure what the problem is. And has already been said if I want to write something 'serious' I now write it locally first then cut and paste.

Thread: Maybe there is still hope
21/03/2013 11:24:19

<just how mechanically inept the younger generation have become>

Back in the 60s when I was an apprentice I had a friend training to be a quantity surveyor. One day he had to use the works van and being diligent he checked the oil and water levels first. He noted the water level was down and topped up the radiator with a kettle of water. It was still down so did it again. The level still not being right he asked a colleague.

The colleague pointed out to my friend that you put water in the radiator not in the rocker box.

Thread: Which is better, 2 big or 4 small? (Bolts)
04/03/2013 20:56:40

Sorry, I'll try again with the area not circumference!

2 bolts = 96

4 bolts = 108

Approximately

04/03/2013 20:49:30

The strength of sa bolt depends on it's cross sectional area, so approximately

8 x pi = 24 x 2 =48

6 x pi = 18 x 4 =72

The four bolts have it.

PS includes edits <s>

04/03/2013 20:48:17

\the strength of sa bolt depends on it's cross section area, so approximately

8 x pi = 26 x 2 =48

6 x pi = 18 x 4 =72

The four bolts have it

Thread: MEW200
09/02/2013 11:28:30

I like the motoring section.

Makes a change from all that CAD/CAM/CNC stuff.

Thread: CAD drawings for 3d printing
23/01/2013 16:39:19

I have just purchased a slotted opto-switch which works but doesn't fit my application very well. I was thinking, if only I had a 3d-printer I could make my own...

... is this the sort of thing you were thinking of Peter?

Thread: Which mag
19/01/2013 17:44:16

In my limited experience (I have 60 years worth of ME and all issues of MEW) ME is aimed at people that actually make models and MEW is aimed at those that would like to make a model but would rather make something for their lathe/mill/whatever instead.

For instance in MEW you will find nothing about how to turn a crankshaft or a piston. There will be no discussion about piston rings.

Also, ME readers are less conservative than MEW readers so they do more ineteresting things and write about it. MEW readers can barely accept that CNC, CAD/CAM, 3D printing actually exist and don't dare talk about making a model in your model engineers' workshop.

So I would suggest you buy ME, buy any of the books above but most of all keep reading these forums.

Thread: Speed Dreams
07/01/2013 02:51:42

A lovely program, especially the home-made crankshaft and a huge pile of swarf outside one of the garages!

Thread: Swarf vaccum cleaner
03/12/2012 17:50:14

Crickey I'm spoil for choice.

Thanks for the replies and comments everyone.

Derry.

02/12/2012 17:08:40

Any recommends for a swarf vacuum cleaner?

I've used a succession of ex household cleaners and I end up spending as much time cleaning and unblocking the cleaner as I do cleaning the workshop!

It's swarf type material I'm interested in rather than dust.

Thanks

Derry.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate