By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Are there any left?
23/08/2019 11:25:22

Hi Neil, well I'll have some chips with my fish for tea tonight and I expect they'll taste better than what you get off your boards. teeth 2 Having said that, I'm still procuring odd bits from boards out of a couple of old Telex machine cabinets that I got for free somewhere back in the 90's.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Powder Coating
22/08/2019 11:18:26

Hi Tony, there is an article in Model Engineers' Workshop No.283 August 2019 about powder coating at home by Chris Gabel, weather this is appropriate to your needs, I don't know but it may give you an idea as to what is involved.

Regards Nick.

P.S. Just had a look at the article and it describes what you need, the basic process and the first steps to take and it doesn't involve high voltage electric. The article is to be continued.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 22/08/2019 11:38:47

Thread: Garmin sat nav
22/08/2019 09:35:22

Hi, I have two Garmin sat nav's, one which I used to have when I was working and the other one I had at home for when I go anywhere in my own time, although the one for work is really redundant now, but I keep it updated. I prefer a dedicated sat nav over a mobile and the Garmin I like better than a TomTom, the best one I had was a Navman, but they don't seem to be available in our shops now. I don't have any real issues with my Garmin's and I do get road names on them most of the time. They have "Lifetime" map updates, but of course that lifetime thing is only the lifetime of the sat nav and you have to be sure that you keep them updated, I think it is at least four times a year or the sat nav's "Lifetime" defaults to being ended. Both of mine have the traffic avoidance built in, I've used it once, but it caused me more delay than sticking with the original route, I guess many other people on the same route as myself must have switched and made a bigger traffic jam on lower class roads than the one that I was on, never bothered with it since. Just as Mike says, I normally lookup on a map any route I'm not familiar with and actually only use the sat nav's directions from where I don't know the way to go, but I do have it on, which informs me of the speed limits of each road and also of speed cameras and red lights etc., not that I speed or go through red lights deliberately.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Your ideal holiday
21/08/2019 17:14:55
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 21/08/2019 16:13:38:

Narrowboat on the UK canals.

Slow and quiet.

Hi Brian, yes been there, once in 77 on the Thames from Oxford to Teddington Lock and back again and once in 79 on the Cheshire Ring starting and finishing at Penkridge and going via Harecastle Tunnel and back down via Sandbach. Great holidays, but hay we were a small mixed bunch of mid twenty five'ish year olds, happy days.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 21/08/2019 17:16:41

21/08/2019 16:30:55

Hi JA, I don't know if Proops had a shop in Holborn, as I never went there, but I did go into a Proops shop in T C Rd. and their current "About Us" page says they opened one there in 1946 **LINK**. If I remember correctly as you went in you went down a few steps and the ceiling seemed to be a little low.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 21/08/2019 16:32:47

Thread: Your ideal holiday
21/08/2019 12:53:19

Hi, one that someone else pays for,cheeky however the one I had in Garda on Lake Garda, Italy, a couple of years ago was really brilliant. An excursion to Venice and a trip on a Gondola, was not to missed, among other things.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 21/08/2019 13:16:50

21/08/2019 12:37:59

Hi Graham, I also used to go to Tottenham Court Rd. and rootle around in boxes for all sorts of electrical and electronics surplus and as you say at reasonable price. Proops used to have a shop down there on the left hand side when coming away from T C Rd. underground, there were a fair few of the same type of shops in some of the side streets off T C Rd. but you had to walk a little way to find them, it was way back in the late 60's early 70's when I used to go. Another place where you could get a lot of end of the line component left overs, was Henrys Radio in Edgware Road, they used to be one of my favourite shops back then as you could do mail order with them before Maplins was really up and running. As Ken says, I don't think there are many places that are quite the same now, I think we had their hay-day.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Torx head variant or faulty batch?
21/08/2019 11:56:00

Hi NDIY, I have to agree with Barrie, without evidence, you can not accuse anyone of selling cheap goods and as Bill has said, they are not the same as he had better ones from the same supplier before. Quality control is paramount importance, but it is difficult to get 100%, 100% all of the time and mistakes can happen at times. The person may packing this item may not be aware what the items should look like, as they often extract them via bin numbers. I had a similar thing when I purchased some bolts from a local industrial factor, awhile ago. I asked for some 12mm dia. bolts and the lady brought back some 10mm bolts, I said they are not correct and she replied that they where according to the bin numbers, I still insisted that they were not the right size and so she measured them and agreed. The lady then went back to the store and found that several more 10mm bolts were mixed in on top of the 12mm ones that I had asked for, so the clear mistake there was the person loading up the stores bin, may have been one of those grey moments for that person, who knows?

Regards Nick.

21/08/2019 06:54:14

Hi Bill, don't know what the one on the right is supposed to be, but the ratio of the socket diameter to the head diameter looks totally wrong and I would think the head may be a lot weaker than it should be. Possibly the wrong screws were in the wrong machine or the wrong tooling as Jeff has indicated was used. I would return them for a replacement or refund if it was me.

Regards Nick.

Thread: TTFN
19/08/2019 11:25:03

Hi Andrew, yes welcome back. Knew you couldn't resist Fagin's song charm devil

Regards Nick.

Thread: This weeks offer at Lidl
19/08/2019 11:20:49

Hi, I suppose it depends on the quality of the generator and the grinder. In my last job, we used a generator on site work where there was no mains power available to run both 9" and 4 1/2" grinders, pistol drills as well as a small inverter welder, never had any issues. The grinders and drills where always 110 volts but only the drills had variable speed. The generator was a bog standard type for industrial use.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Babani Press
19/08/2019 10:59:55

Hi, I didn't actually click on the Home page tab, although I did have a little look at the other tabs. B1 and B39 in the Bernard's section may be of use to some people. I had found ETI, Practical Electronics and Practical Wireless individually some moths ago though. Bandersnatch, I've now had a look at the Practical Mechanics one, but they don't have many issues at present, I've got most of the fifth's ones, but no complete years but now have downloaded those of 1953 which I don't have in print, just goes to show how great a year 1953 was cheeky. So much on there it is mind boggling.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 19/08/2019 11:01:18

17/08/2019 22:24:05

Hi, I was browsing online earlier this afternoon, looking for a Babani book that I had years ago but lost, when I came across this **LINK** which I thought might be of interest to anyone who is into radio and or electronics. it all seems to be downloadable for free.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Digital calipers made in same factory?
16/08/2019 10:01:09

Hi, I agree with MichaelG about knowing if a CE mark is genuine or fake. I watch that programme on TV Fake or Fortune very often and very often the artwork comes to within a hair's breadth of being genuine and having convincing but misleading provenance and a lot of painstaking research has to be done before an expert gives the final verdict.

Regards Nick.

16/08/2019 09:21:14

Hi, it is a possibility that the frames are made in the same factory or maybe not in their own factory. Very often factories supply components in a standard raw condition and the individual companies that supply the items to the market will finish them to their own standards. As far as the labels are concerned, they can be printed again from the same factory but using standard artwork, which can be arranged as required. I've done installation work in a factory where they print sleeves for plastic bottles, their range is quite vast and is on bottles of very many brand names you see on the High Street. Below is a photo of two callipers that I have, one is about ten years old and the other is about nine years old. They were both about the same price and both read the same by my mic standards that I have and are very accurate and repeatable. Wonder if anyone can guess where I bought each of them.

digital calipers.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 16/08/2019 09:23:39

Thread: Home built trailer
14/08/2019 22:20:21

Hi, Martin is correct about the speed limits when towing a trailer, unless of course, there is a lower limit on these roads that is in force, be it temporarily or permanent. He is also correct about driving in the right hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes. The number of people I've seen pulling a trailer who ignore both the speed limits and being in the right hand lane is unbelievable. I built my trailer back in 1986 and gave it a full overhaul in 2010, but it does need a new floor in it again now. You could at one time, buy a basic factory made trailer assembly and build your own body/structure on to it, but I don't know if anyone sells them now. I wouldn't throw my money at the tinny things sold by one or two of the High Street retailers though, better to go to dedicated trailer makers with a good reputation.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 14/08/2019 22:26:46

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
13/08/2019 15:12:57

Hi Oldmart, I have to agree with Ian. AC clocks that used to be the fashion had a ratchet type of mechanism which would stop the motor from going the wrong way, as it would not know which way it is supposed to go when powered up and it would go in whichever direction the half sinewave drove it when switched on. If it went the wrong way, the ratchet would click in and stop it and it would automatically reverse and carry on going the way it should go. Those clocks that go backwards and the numbers are also backwards have been around for years and my elder sister has had one for many years, you can buy one from **LINK** for example, if you like.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Serious question, What is a Mini Lathe?
06/08/2019 11:07:41

Hi, the term Mini lathe, I think is a marketing expression, in that it implies that it is smaller than what one would consider an average size lathe but not as small as anything that could be classed as micro. The name "Mini Lathe" is also very easy to say and remember and of course does not put it into any specific category i.e. Watchmaker, Toolroom, Model Engineer or precision etc. It will also imply that it can be accommodated into a small working area and as Mick B1 pointed out, that it can be manhandled by only one reasonably strong person.

As for "cheap & cheerful" well they are far superior to the average lathes that were considered "Model Engineer" lathes back in the 1940's era that my late farther had like his RandA lathe shown below.

randa model b.jpg

This lathe and my Conquest lathe that I have accommodate roughly the same environmental envelope, but this one doesn't have an integral motor/drive train, it only has 305mm max between centres, (my Conquest has 350mm) and 1MT in both the headstock and the tailstock and has a basic cross/top-slide and there are no graduations on the feed screws. Its use is limited compared to the Conquest and the price in real terms was dearer.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 06/08/2019 11:11:32

Thread: Dam Solution?
05/08/2019 13:20:34

Hi, many people don't understand about pumping water out of a hole or a container of some sort. Where I used to work many years ago, processing water was a main thing and very often pits and clarifiers had to be pumped out before we could do maintenance work on the pipes or equipment within them. One occasion I remember was a new chap (you know the sort, been everywhere, done everything, got the T shirt, but alas knew Jack nothing at all) this particular day he got the job of rigging up a hired Sykes pump like **LINK** in a pit, he had spent about 3 to 4 hours setting it all up and couldn't get it to pump when he came and asked me to advise him what the problem was, so I went along and as soon as I saw the pump on top of the bank, where Sykes had off loaded it, I said to him "you'll never get that to pump in a month of Sundays" to which he asked why and had to explain that it was beyond the vacuum priming at around 45 feet above the water level and he had to move it down much closer to the water, bit of a lazy git he was, because it was a lot more work to do it in the first place and he wasn't all that pleased that he had to redo his work. Of course when he did finally set it up correctly it pumped full bore on the first attempt.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 05/08/2019 13:25:50

04/08/2019 08:23:06

Hi, I follow and understand the experiment in the video that peak4 has posted, however they have started with the system primed. If you stick one end of an empty tube into a container of water and then have the other end outside the container and below the end that is in the water, nothing will happen. Now assuming that the tube is large enough not it allow capillary action to take place and you evacuate the air from the low end of the tube (i.e. suck the air out) then the syphoning will proceed to take place and to my mind atmospheric pressure is the only thing that will drive the water up the tube and over the top of the container. Something that they could not achieve in the video. A vacuum has no pulling power, even in a vacuum cleaner you have to have an air flow for it to do its job.

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest