By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Arc euro micro drill adaptor
03/12/2019 12:14:22

Hi Keith, I have one, very good piece of kit. I don't have cause to use it very often, but I did use it yesterday in my mini milling machine, starting a 2.5mm tap in six holes in a piece of steel about 6mm thick, to insure that they were in line and there was no danger of the spring return on the mill suddenly pulling it up with the chance of busting the tap. I used my hand to turn the spindle though. However I have used it for drilling into steel and it worked OK for that also.

Regards Nick.

P.S. I held it in my collet chuck by the way.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 03/12/2019 12:15:44

Thread: MEW 288 Readers Tips
29/11/2019 10:15:47

Hi, one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments.

Regards Nick.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
28/11/2019 22:35:51

Hi, today I finish off making a couple of tap extensions, these are not a typical design as I've made them to fit the tap shank snugly and two screws bear onto two opposite flats.

cimg2759.jpg

A hole was drilled into one end of a piece 7/32" silver steel rod, about 22mm deep, which is a close fit to the tap shanks and then a hole was drilled crosswise about midway to where the flats on the taps are and were treaded 2mm. Two very short 2mm screws were then fitted into these threaded holes, the screws being salvaged from an old computer hard drive. The pieces of steel rod were then held in a four jaw fitted to a rotary table on my mini milling machine with the opposite end to the drilled hole outwards and resting in a "V" block about 12mm from the end of the rod, a bar, crossways to the rod and just behind the "V" block to prevent it from lifting out. Then using the rotary table, four flats were milled onto the rod end, for use in a conventional tap wrench.

cimg2754.jpg

cimg2755.jpg

The reason for making these can be seen in the photo below.

cimg2758.jpg

cimg2756.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 28/11/2019 22:45:12

Thread: ARC Catalogue No.11
27/11/2019 11:56:17

Hi, postie dropped my copy of No. 11 through the box this morning, with MEW 288. Thanks Ketan.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Positioning bushes for welding
17/11/2019 15:06:21

Hi Mike, can you not turn a the end of the outside of the bush the required length and put in a smaller hole?

You will not stop distortion, no matter what you do, but it can be controlled by slight bowing of the plate before welding, but of course you will need some experience before you are able to do this satisfactory.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Grinding and cutoff discs for angle grinders
17/11/2019 14:46:07

Hi, I have several disc that are out of date, some of which were made before dates were put on them. While I'm not suggesting that anyone should disregard these dates, I personally have no qualms about using them in my own garage/workspace, I would not use them though in any employment environment however, as I would not be covered by any insurance if I had an accident while using one, regardless whether the disc caused the accident or not. I have had many discs fail while using them during my employment, even though they have been in date. Normally they'll fail if they happen to snag, but it is always important not to put oneself in the line of fire and to make sure that the guard is always secure and adjusted properly. It is also always important that any disc that you are about to use, whether it's brand new or used, is not warped or split etc. and that the steel piece in the centre hole is intact before you start it up and you should unplug your machine before changing any disc. All appropriate PPE should also be worn/used while working with angle grinders, even if it is only for a moments use.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 17/11/2019 14:53:04

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 clone tailstock alignemnt
12/11/2019 11:14:30

Hi Qwerty Asdf, if it has the same type of round bar with a flat part at the top, it is possible that the plastic part in the tailstock has shifted a little somehow, maybe it got knocked very hard by falling over. The bar itself may have shifted in the headstock and one way to check this is to see if you can notice if the cross slide moves parallel with the central plain. Failing either of the two above, it could just be an error in the plastic part or its position in the tailstock during manufacture.

At least two other posters on here have had trouble with these plastic parts, in the saddle I think, becoming loose or moving.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Photograph of Wolf Cub drill wanted
11/11/2019 13:05:07

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I was browsing through some old ME's and came across this page in issue 2555 May 11th 1950 and thought it would be an interesting page to add.

the wolf cub.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: 2-4-6 block woes
08/11/2019 19:07:48
Posted by not done it yet on 08/11/2019 01:08:23:

You could certainly have them trued up to be square. But would they still be 2-4-6? I somehow doubt it.smiley

Hi, Old Mart could possibly get several true 2-4-6 blocks with them, with a bit of precision cutting and grinding, i.e. 2mm-4mm-6mm wink 2

Probably won't be much use or what he needs.

Regards Nick.

08/11/2019 18:57:08
Posted by Howard Lewis on 08/11/2019 18:30:40:

A Gudgeon Pin from a large engine, (8 to 16 litre diesel ) will probably make a good cylindrical square.

Try your local truck repairer, they may well have a reasonable one from a scrap engine.

Howard

Hi, Wot!. Whoever would have thought of such an idea.surprise

gudgeon pins.jpg

I've only had these about 20 years plus a few more slightly smaller.

Regards Nick.

07/11/2019 22:34:52

Hi, I milled the flats on the ends of the shaft for my new roller. First side was set up on "V" blocks.

milled flats 1.jpg

The second side was set up on my 1-2-3 blocks on the first side flats.

milled flats 2.jpg

The shaft was then fitted into the roller and then put onto the machine that I've been making it for.

roller in machine.jpg

This is a tumbling machine that was scrapped by the company I used to work for several years ago now, but I had to remove the motor that was on it first, and fit it to another different type of machine. The original roller and any drums that were used on it, had been missing for quite some time. So for a trial run I've used an empty 5L emulsion paint plastic pot and filled it just above half way with some dry sand and put in a few rusty wheel castings.

trial run.jpg

I gave it a run for about 15 minuets and although it wasn't ideal, as there are no baffles to make the sand and wheels tumble properly, but it did drive OK and cleaned the wheels slightly. Just need to buy or make a proper barrel.

rusty wheels 2.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 07/11/2019 22:41:22

05/11/2019 21:19:37

Hi, I had a little time to do a bit more on my roller with the reclaimed hubs and bearings. I cut and trimmed a piece of tube to length and fitted and welded the hubs/bearings in place.

welded into roller.jpg

They were then dressed using a flap disc and spray painted with a Zinc paint rattle can.

dressed and painted.jpg

Then I faced up the ends of a piece of 25mm EN8 round to length and cut in a circlip groove 30mm from each end, this being the new shaft for the roller.

newe roller shaft.jpg

groove and circlip.jpg

Just need to mill a couple of flats on each end and it will be ready to assemble.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 05/11/2019 21:22:10

Thread: new computer
03/11/2019 17:21:51

Hi, I always back up on at least two external drives, because even these can fail or become corrupt, no need to ask how I know.

Regards Nick.

01/11/2019 08:48:54

Hi, yesterday evening, I cobbled together this TV aerial bracket onto a worn out 4" conveyor belt return roller bearing and hub, in order to trim it down, while keeping it reasonable true so as to make a smaller roller of a similar type.

bearing and hub.jpg

First of all the bulk of it was cut away with a parting tool and it was then turned to size to fit onto a smaller piece of tube. One for the other end is yet to be done in the same way.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Cast iron welding electrodes
29/10/2019 10:32:40

Hi, if you are using these Supercast electrodes, your welder will need an OCV, that is the voltage across your welding holder and the return lead (earth) needs to be at least 45 volts before you start welding. If you are using a DIY buzz box, you may not get that and you will have difficulty striking an arc. The electrodes don't need to be heated but they should be dry, which can be done in an oven at around 100/120 odd degrees for an hour or so. You should not need to preheat the joint to much more than about 150 degrees and you should keep the heat input low by keeping a short arc and not making the runs too long and peening should be done after every run while the weld is still hot. A little post heat can be applied after the weld is finished, but not by an excessive amount and allow it to cool on its own away from the cold and draughts.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 29/10/2019 10:38:32

24/10/2019 10:46:57

Hi, if it is Oak, don't use steel screws in it, as they will rust. Brass is the ideal screw for Oak.

Regards Nick.

Thread: John Stevenson
24/10/2019 10:33:35

Hi, I thought of John last week when I was first used a solid carbide slot dill that he had sharpened for me the last time he was doing it for free at Doncaster MEX. Gave him a posthumous thanks for doing a good job of it.

Regards Nick.

Thread: ROTATING PHOTOS
24/10/2019 10:23:55
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 23/10/2019 22:17:00:
Posted by JasonB on 23/10/2019 19:32:27:
Posted by Vic on 23/10/2019 17:11:07:

Why is it so difficult to take pictures with a phone or tablet the right way up? You wouldn’t hold a camera upside down.

And then you get the ones who hold their phone portrate to take a videosad

Hi, and then you get the TV news etc. putting the picture in the centre of a very confusing fizzy split picture of the same. This is done without any warning, unlike when there is a lot of flashing images.

Regards Nick.

Hi, fizzy should be fuzzy or blurred.

Regards Nick.

23/10/2019 22:17:00
Posted by JasonB on 23/10/2019 19:32:27:
Posted by Vic on 23/10/2019 17:11:07:

Why is it so difficult to take pictures with a phone or tablet the right way up? You wouldn’t hold a camera upside down.

And then you get the ones who hold their phone portrate to take a videosad

Hi, and then you get the TV news etc. putting the picture in the centre of a very confusing fizzy split picture of the same. This is done without any warning, unlike when there is a lot of flashing images.

Regards Nick.

Thread: What is this thread called these days? 3/4"-16 SAE
22/10/2019 19:21:29
Posted by old mart on 22/10/2019 16:54:07:

Also threads marked NF are now UNF.

Hi, but with the exception of 1"

taps.jpg

The one on the left is 1" x 14 NF and the one on the right is 1" x 12 UNF.

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Dec 4th 2019
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest