By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mystery hand-tool 'Prescot'
20/08/2018 19:33:23

P.S. Please don't anyone protest if I decide to re-purpose it.

.... If you consider it sacrilege, just make me an irresistible offer.

WOT! surprise

Sorry, I can't afford your irresistible offer. wink 2

Regards Nick.

Thread: Correct name for this item please?
20/08/2018 10:07:24
Posted by ronan walsh on 19/08/2018 22:09:35:

Chuck it up for sale here and let it be used for its intended purpose. It would be terrible to use it for anything other than it was intended for. A bit like idiots using micrometers as G-clamps.

Hi ronan, with all due respect to your opinion, if one obtains items with their own personal finance, why should they be labelled as an idiot when they use them for something they were not designed for. (all safety factors accounted for) In a previous employment I had, there were people who buy brand new kit and had them stripped off part of it and use it for something completely different to the original manufacturers intention. Of course they void all warranty, but it does the job they require.

Regards Nick.

P. S. Personally I see no problem for someone to modify this item to suite one's purpose.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 20/08/2018 10:17:20

Thread: when is a precision vice not a precision vice>?
19/08/2018 20:36:42

Hi, M14 bolts are available **LINK** Most places that sell bolts to industry should be able to supply them.

Regards Nick.

19/08/2018 18:18:38

Hi, I think the word precision alone in a statement has a certain amount of ambiguity, as precision is allowed a tolerance just as anything else has. e. g. precision is not the same as high precision. When deciding on anything, you need to know all the factors that you expect of it, so the precision description alone, does not lead it to be of a high accuracy. To claim that something is not fit for purpose, you need to have written documentation of all it's parameters, word of mouth does not cut it.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Facing Error
14/08/2018 06:52:55

Hi, as it happens, I faced up a piece of cast iron cut from an old bearing plummer block for an 80 mm 4 jaw. I found no significant out of flatness at all. First checked it with a straight edge.

flatness check.jpg

Then with a DTI and the error was not much more than the width of the pointer. This was done on my Boxford lathe.

dti test 1.jpg

dti test 2.jpg

I'm wondering if SOD's back plate has become progressively harder from the inside to the outside during its manufacture for some reason, which could attribute to the concaving, just a thought.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Welding issue for a newbie
12/08/2018 18:48:01

Hi George, I doubt very much you will be able to fix the transformer if it has failed, all you will be able to do is replace it, but you will need to know the output voltage and current. You could try someone like **LINK** or **LINK** for a replacement that would be suitable.

Regards Nick.

12/08/2018 09:10:49

Hi George, it is quite common for a simple valve in the torch opened by the trigger to allow the gas to flow. However, in your second photo, it looks as if there is a piece of silver foil under the fuse on the circuit board, if so this ought to be removed and a replacement fuse of the correct value to be put in. I had and issue with my small MIG welder which was similar to yours and mine was as simple as the transformer on the circuit board failing.

circuit board 1.jpg

circuit board 2.jpg

It was replaced with one that I had, but I had to mount it off the board.

I would check that out as a starter first.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Chain Hoist Tripod in MEW 264
05/08/2018 08:44:30

Hi Ian, as far as I'm aware, their is no legislation for any lifting equipment made for ones own personal use. If anyone borrows such equipment, that may be a different question. As George says, chains can be used on the lower parts of the tubes to stop splaying out and would certainly be a good addition. However, to make something for lifting that has the potential to sink into soft ground is a bad idea and would not pass any safety tests for a work environment. Personally I have reservations about the "Adapter Plate" where the tubes are relying just on the welds, these tubes in my opinion, should have gussets added, which would prevent any tendency of the plate itself from bending at the welded area. The gussets could be as simple as three flat bars the depth of the tubes, each bar then welded between two of the tubes and along the edge of the adapter plate. I would also obtain a commercially made lifting eye bolt, and shackle if need be, rather than using a U bolt or a bent up bar.

Lifting accidents in industry have been numerus in days gone by, due to poor design and/or faulty equipment and legislation is very strict about testing and maintenance of such equipment here in the UK.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 05/08/2018 08:46:00

Thread: Fly Press Struggles
03/08/2018 16:56:35

Hi Richard, if it's a No. 2 it will be about 340 to 360 mm across the base and will weigh around 75 to 85 Kg. If however it's a No 5 it will be close on 500 mm across the base and will weigh 250 to 280 kg, this is assuming you have a standard flypress. In your thread that you were asking advice about a flypress, you said that you temporally bolted it to the floor and it ripped the bolts out and tumbled over. I'm a bit confused about that situation, as it should not have done that, unless, you have bought a bar flypress and you have left the bar out or it is missing and you are stamping metal which is sitting directly on the floor. A photo of your flypress may help us with a bit more advice.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 03/08/2018 16:58:33

Thread: Arbor Press Question
30/07/2018 23:46:09

Hi Richard, you do really need it fixing down to something that will resist the force of the fly. Think of a hammer and punch, they don't work very well if your bench is not solid, no matter how hard you hit it, as the punch will just bounce all over the place.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Zeus book download
29/07/2018 07:10:57

Hi, the Counsellor download in this **LINK** may be of interest, it is a bit more British and it has B.A. threads in it.

Regards Nick.

P.S. Didn't notice Bob D had already mentioned it.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 29/07/2018 07:14:56

Thread: 123 Blocks
28/07/2018 08:29:54
Posted by JasonB on 28/07/2018 08:23:22:

I think we may need a separate thread "who has got the most blocks"smile p

Anyone got the 15-30-60 size that Uncle Ketan has quietly slipped into his range without even putting them on the new products page?

Hi Jason, not yet, only just noticed them today. Hmmm, better get some ordered before every ones knows and he runs out of stock.

Regards Nick.

28/07/2018 08:02:24

Hi Nige, as Mike says, your limit is your imagination. Below is a photo where I've used the proverbial 123 blocks in combination with some Stevenson's blocks, to get a datum point machined on a pair of castings, which will ultimately have to fit together.

123 and stevensons blocks.jpg

Notice the round bar in the middle holes in the 123 blocks, which have tapped holes for the bolts holding the larger Stevenson's blocks onto them. The castings are clamped together between the smaller Stevenson's blocks, which were then squared up by the piece steel just nipped by the heads of two socket head screws into the small block.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 28/07/2018 08:03:44

Thread: Neil's Irrelevant Press Release Thread
25/07/2018 06:36:25
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 24/07/2018 18:01:57:
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 24/07/2018 17:28:07:

001 (1024x768).jpg

nerd

Regards Nick.

With care, those could be adapted for jam, or even honey...

thumbs upsmile

24/07/2018 17:28:07
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 24/07/2018 12:26:19:

snip

The jars can be used for an array of opportunities. Just give yours a good clean and reuse it for storing spices, dried herbs, homemade salad dressing or use to make overnight oats. The list goes on!

Hi, that sounds like a silly idea to me, whoever thought of using glass jars for storage? especially for spices etc.

001 (1024x768).jpg

nerd

Regards Nick.

Thread: Quality of back issues
21/07/2018 13:17:46

Hi A G, saving the scans and printing them, that I uploaded, doesn't give very good results. If you PM me an email, I will email you back with a PDF of all three.

Regards Nick.

21/07/2018 12:30:23

Hi,  https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=28515&p=808365
Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 21/07/2018 12:57:40

21/07/2018 12:30:11
Hi, I have scanned three drawings in question from issue 4404.They are in my interesting pictures album.
Having trouble with a fault on my internet connection that won't be solved for a couple of days or so, so I haven't been able to post a link to them here.
Regards Nick.
Thread: Arbor Press Question
18/07/2018 22:42:30

Hi, this **LINK** may give you a guide to the force of different sizes of flypress.

Regards Nick.

18/07/2018 22:27:21

Hi, I don't know if the Norton flypress number corresponds with the force that can be applied, but they do have a relationship to the weight of them in CWT's plus one quarter, which is about 50.8 Kg x the number plus 12.7 Kg. So a standard Norton No. 5 will weigh about 267 Kg. I think you may struggle even with three men trying to manhandle one of these and I doubt you will get more than three men around one to get an even proportion of weight for each man. They tend to be bottom heavy and the back always wants to roll round to the lowest point when they are tilted to any extent and they are not really friendly to get a good grip on. Even when I fetch my No. 3 bar flypress, which is only about 120 Kg, I needed two sets of chain blocks to get it off the bench it was on, a trolley to get it out of the building and then had to winch the trolley and press up onto my trailer. Personally, I wouldn't even consider man handling my No. 4 one with help, let alone a No. 5.

The one in Jason's link, is a deep throat version, which are a bit heavier than the standard ones and of course a No. 5 is physically a lot larger than a No. 2 with the swing handle on a larger radius, and you will need it fixed to an adequate bench/support as it will pack a fair old punch in use.

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition