By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why?
18/02/2020 16:06:53

Hi Bill, the style has been around before I ever started working, often referred as American Pattern and made by various manufacturers and is the type I first used when I started working. A couple of scans below from a 1964 Buck & Hickman catalogue.

stocks n dies001.jpg

stocks n dies002.jpg

As you can see, many types of thread available. I have one die block and three sets of replaceable dies, but the block will only take the 5/16th ones.

cimg2779.jpg

cimg2781.jpg

cimg2782.jpg

MichaelG, I think Bill is taking about the die block itself, not the actual die's, as in his photo (view of the die side & view of the guide side.)

Regards Nick.

P.S. Bill, maybe these were made how they are so as not to infringe any copyrights, as they are adjustable as split die's are, just a guess on my part.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 18/02/2020 16:20:48

Thread: Drilling small holes in hardend steel
18/02/2020 09:31:33

Hi Dave, I've never made a mistake, since the last one. wink 2

Regards Nick.

Thread: Facing off backwards
17/02/2020 12:11:09

Hi Bill, if it is bad practice or wrong, I've been a naughty boy very many times. As has been said, if it is safe it's OK.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Switches
17/02/2020 12:08:12

Hi lynne, Jon's reference is correct, take a door bell push button for instance, it will be n/o i.e. it will be normally open however you wire it up and only closes when someone pushes it to ring the bell (or chimes/whatever)

Regards Nick.

Thread: Bicycle pedals
16/02/2020 14:53:35

Hi, never snapped a pedal spindle, but have had a pedal come off the spindle and it makes your foot ache after a while of peddling on the spindle. New pedals were not very cheap when I was only earning a total of £1.00 a week after school and on Saturdays. Oh yes! had to fund our own repairs once we started earning, at least we learnt how to respect things and to repair them also.

Peter G. Shaw, so you had a Boots 10" slide rule then cheeky I could only manage to get a Boots 6" Slide Rule crying 2 but at least I could read it them days, need me glasses and a magnifier to see it properly now.

Regards Nick.

15/02/2020 13:19:36
Posted by Howard Lewis on 15/02/2020 12:27:13:

Having a pedal unscrew, particularly when pedalling hard would be dangerous, possibly even fatal.

If a left hand pedal were to seize to its spindle, the effect would be to unscrew a right hand thread. Hence the left hand thread. The same logic applies to the right hand pedal.

No, the industry got it correct a long time ago!

Howard

Hi Howard, Pete is correct, However, it would be more potentially dangerous if you have a fixed sprocket or bake peddle braking, if the peddles unscrewed, which may be more likely if the peddle seized. All the bicycles that I've ever had, have had the left on the left and the right on the right. I've only ever experienced a peddle unscrewing once and I think it was because I hadn't tightened it correctly, and although I wasn't peddling hard, it came more of a surprise than any ill will.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Locked out of computer
15/02/2020 10:17:07

Hi Stew, strange that, I tried to look at my Asus 7" tablet yesterday, just wouldn't turn on, thinking that the battery was flat I plugged in the charger. After 5 or so minutes, no sign of it charging like it usually did. I then plugged it into my laptop and guess what, no sign of it being connected. absolutely dead as a door nail and this is just about six years old. Just as well all the important data was on a removable micro card.

regards Nick.

Thread: Solon soldering iron
15/02/2020 10:06:45
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 14/02/2020 18:15:18:
Posted by mick H on 10/02/2020 09:48:51:

My usual soldering iron failed over the weekend so I dug out a Henly Solon 25W iron which I bought as used/new some years ago. Sadly this also failed after about 10 minutes work on electronic components. When I stripped it down the heating element seemed to have suffered a partial disintegration. Working on the principle that I have never had anything but a positive response from the members of this site, I thought it worth asking whether Solon spares are available at possibly some remote outpost ?

Mick

I think that the old Solon elements were insulated with asbestos, so you might want to take care with the debris of a disintegrated one.

Hi, I didn't find any asbestos in this old 250W Solon iron. The element is wound on Mica sheet and Mica sheets separate the two elements from each other with two narrower thin iron plates in the middle and Mica sheets insulated the elements on the outside, the whole assemble then fitted into the slot of the copper bit.

iron01.jpg

iron02.jpg

The outside Mica sheets just fell to bits during disassemble. Wont bother to try and fix this one, but might mount the copper bit onto a piece of steel and heat it in a flame, maybe one day.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Locked out of computer
15/02/2020 09:23:38

Hi Stew, agree with all the above. If you have keep your Norton updated, you shouldn't have got a virus.

Regards .Nick.

Thread: Location of Boxford serial numbers
15/02/2020 09:13:04

Hi Rob, look at the front sheer at the tailstock end, you can just see it in the photo of the tailstock in Boxford forth photo down.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 15/02/2020 09:14:28

Thread: renew driving licence
07/02/2020 10:24:29

Hi, the BE weights depend again on when you passed your test, see MichaelG's previous link and click on Driving Licence Categories on the top right hand side.

S.O.D. all these things seem unfair when the rules are changed, but a line has to be drawn somewhere and it would be just as unfair for those who were allowed to drive certain categories before the changes, to have them removed. In a similar way, when they changed the coming of age from 21 to 18, I became of age at the same time as my eldest sister and my elder brother, OK, my eldest sister became of age before she was 21 but only by 8 months. I also meant to say in my last post that my C1E category has a 107 restriction on it as Norm Norton pointed out.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 07/02/2020 10:47:15

Thread: What is This?
07/02/2020 10:07:18

Hi, I think you have all got it wrong, the name is P.G. Patpend. wink 2

Maybe it is a staple remover, for those you find on industrial packing, or maybe on upholstery.

Regards Nick.

Thread: renew driving licence
05/02/2020 20:56:14
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 05/02/2020 16:58:41:

Renewal of age expired car licences is straightforward provided the driver is in good health. However, the new license reflects whatever the current rules are. Not unfair because the licence a 70 year old gets is exactly the same as the license issued to everyone else. Arguably it's unfair that older drivers were allowed to retain privileges denied to younger drivers since 1997.

Dave

Hi Dave, I don't see why it is arguable, I passed my test in 1973 and therefore had 23 years with these privileges that you call them, you might as well say that everyone should retake their whole driving test every time they change the categories that people are allowed to have. It's not all bells and whistles though, as my categories D1 and D1E comes with a 101 code and I would have to take an extra test to get it removed, not that I want or have any need to.

Spurry, so do you think those who are not old enough are being age discriminated too then?

Regards Nick.

Thread: How do I change the "default" lever angle on my Verdict DTI?
02/02/2020 09:02:53

Hi dp2020, maybe yours is one that is made to order.

MichaelG, once again you have found good info, and from that I've deduced that the one I have is a 10/6005 model.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Hoist Frame
30/01/2020 20:50:22

Hi Colin, maybe you could add another tie bar to your extension piece, take it to the top point of the existing one on the pole. It could be as simple as a suitable steel wire rope with an adjuster to get it taught. Just an idea that may give you that extra support.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Bending Stainless
29/01/2020 13:37:47

Hi Dereck, I agree with Clive, you would probably be better TIG welding a piece on, or find someone who could do it for you.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Desoldering how to?
27/01/2020 07:31:26

Hi Andrew, it is indeed a 250W made by Solon. I also have my fathers 65W one of the same make and style, which is more practical for many jobs and also a variable temperature solder station and a 15W Antex Precision, a Weller Universal, a Black & Decker one in a similar vein to the Weller, and a 12V 17W one that can be clipped onto a battery or suitable 12V supply, plus about three of my fathers that have to be heated up with a flame. The B&D and the 12V one, along with the flame heated ones, very rarely get used now though.

Regards Nick.

Thread: I wish mine was like that!
24/01/2020 15:49:11

Hi NDIY, you have already advertised a website, and everyone knows which one you mean, without searching the one you have mentioned.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Desoldering how to?
24/01/2020 15:33:42

Hi Andrew, this one hot enough! ? devil

hot-stuff.jpg

Regards Nick. teeth 2

24/01/2020 14:47:14

Hi, I always find the de-soldering braid works better if you paste a little flux on the solder you want to remove first. In my case, I use Frys Fluxite. I have used the braided outer of TV downlead with some flux on, at times when I've run out of the ready made stuff.

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest