By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I may be stupid but
24/06/2022 12:37:22

Hi, this argument has been going on for many years, even in industry, with both drill and lathe chucks. My father (who worked for a well known bearing manufacturer) taught me the way he was taught in his apprenticeship, that the correct way was to slightly tighten each of the three holes and then go round again to give each hole a final tighten. When others that I have worked with, just use one hole on a pistol drill chuck and they get a hole that the drill snags in (which was quite often) the drill would stop and the chuck would spin, eventually resulting with chewed drill shanks, I never got that happening, unless I was forced to use a drill that was already chewed up. I have always adopted tightening the chucks the way my father taught at work and at home.

Regards Nick.

Thread: There are locomotives.... and there are locomotives.
24/06/2022 11:53:45

Hi, apart from anything else, the one thing I would really have a concern about, is that hose that runs from one end to the other with the supply coming from the cylinder connected to it. This is just hanging in mid air and if by some misfortune, any of the connecting points blew apart or the hose snapped off, you would have a hose flying about like an uncontrollable whip, even at 30 psi, let alone 100 psi, which could cause severe injury or even be fatal if the end should hit anyone and more especially if it had part of a fitting on the end of it. One of the most important safety aspects that was stated in my pneumatic courses that I did, was that flexible hoses and pipelines should be adequately secured to framework or on properly designed trays, in the event of them coming apart and releasing compressed air. It's bad enough even when a short length is whipping about under pressure.

Regards Nick.

Thread: FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING
23/06/2022 18:37:20

Hi, I also noticed the downtime and the red background M icon was missing from my favourites list and got that error message.

Regards Nick.

Thread: A TOPICAL point, FANS.
17/06/2022 16:27:18

Hi, well their technical data sheet says it lubricates WD40 Technical Data

Regards Nick.

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
16/06/2022 14:11:50

Hi Derek, that is just to blank the hole off, as the piece of ally channel is a piece from a roller conveyor that I had to make new frames for many years ago, so I didn't want the cork to accidentally get pushed through and split. As it happens, it came in handy for holding that piece while spray painting, so it did get a use.

Regards Nick.

Thread: DIN3113? - permitted max. jaw opening for 19mm
16/06/2022 14:01:09

Hi Bill, just had a measure of the open end of a few metric ones, Britool Std. combo 19.42, but this has had over 30 years of daily use plus another 15 years of not so daily use. Halfords Professional combo 19.25, about six years on and off home use. Draper Stubby combo 19.23 infrequent home use. Rolson Stubby combo with ratchet 19.26, infrequent home use. Toolzone Flexy-head combo 19.41, nearly new very infrequent home use and a Britool Long reach 19.34, 30 plus years of low moderate use. I've also measured three 3/4" ones in mm's. A Taiwan combo 19.44, unknown usage. 3/4" Torq combo 19.36, about six years old but very little usage. A Gordon Tools double open ended 19.36, moderate home use many years ago but not so much now. Personally, I wouldn't worry about using yours myself, but I would only ever put a very heavy loading on an open ended spanner of any make with a good degree of caution and like Mike Poole has suggested, I've used nuts that are smaller than others although they are designated to be of the same size. It's a pain on the other hand, when you have to fight to get a spanner on of off a nut.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 16/06/2022 14:02:29

16/06/2022 12:37:44

Hi Derek, like all your bowls etc, and your collet chuck backplate looks very neat too.

Regards Nick.

16/06/2022 12:22:39

Hi Neil, thanks for your appreciation.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Macro-photography
16/06/2022 12:17:00

Hi, a few weeks ago I bought a second hand Canon IXUS170 compact camera off ebay for a very nice price. This together could then be used on my twin camera bracket that I finished yesterday.

twin ixus170.jpg

All that was needed was something to try them out on, so I got a bit adventurous which would really push the limits, that something had unpredictable movement within its self if left not touched. I wasn't sure if it was at all possible but the result on a first attempt were very much what I had hoped for, now I'm not saying it was perfect and I think the angle between the two cameras was slightly too much, but the stereo pair works well for myself, both in free view and with my stereoscope. The top pair are the parallel view and the bottom pair are cross view.

plasma#1 pv.jpg

plasma#2 cv.jpg

Hope they work for anyone who likes stereoscopic pictures.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 16/06/2022 12:19:01

16/06/2022 11:53:21

Hi, after priming my twin camera bracket a few days ago, I then put a top coat on and then assembled it all.

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

It was intended to put cork pads on the unpainted areas, but the self adhesive cork sheets that I ordered online for collection in store the next day, somehow got lost into the courier's dungeon, so after a telephone call on Tuesday last, a very helpful customer service person said he would get another one sent straight to my address and they promptly came yesterday and I was finally able to finish my bracket ready for use.

cork pads fitted.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: 13G?
16/06/2022 10:51:54

Hi, my M&W thread gauges don't have a G on them, but they do have thread sizes that each one is associated with and there is a 13 one in the set, but no thread size is given.

thread gauges.jpg

As far as a 13 one being the same as a 12 on cheap gauge sets, it certainly isn't for a couple of cheapies that I have which are probably made somewhere in China, but when compared to my M&W set, no difference can be determined by eye and match up very snugly.

12g#13g.jpg

Regards Nick.

15/06/2022 22:37:46

Hi, many Whit gauges include a 13 G one and while there are no standard Whit threads that are 13 TPI, 1/2" whit and 1/2" UNC threads can look similar especially if you don't have one of each to compare, so a 13 G one is handy to have to tell if you have a UNC one for sure.

Regards Nick.

Thread: cutting a square end on a round shaft?
14/06/2022 12:11:23

Hi, when I needed to make the imperial drawbar for my mini mill, although I didn't see the need to make the top exactly the same size as the metric one that came with the mill, I still put a square on it for a spanner. As has been said though, I used a Stevenson's square with a collet and just clamped it in my vice on the milling machine table, calculated how much to cut off each quarter and the job was done, then just popped in in my mini lathe to take a small cut to round off the corners slightly.

drawbar.jpg

cutting a square.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: Getting old, selling lathe
11/06/2022 10:29:37

Hi David, sorry to hear about your heath issues, but hope things will improve in time.

Regards Nick.

11/06/2022 10:21:23

Hi Darren, I get a message on my Android 7, that my connection is not private and blocks it from viewing the forum. I don't very often use my phone for viewing this forum, but I've never had such a message before the changeover.

Regards Nick.

Thread: pyrex is not PYREX
10/06/2022 09:00:42

Hi, the first I remember of PYREX was the craze for smoked mugs and cups, I had a mug back in the 70's but I still have two PYREX saucers and here's one with a Arcoroc cup with some morning coffee. Arcoroc France is tempered glass though.

morning coffee.jpg

1919 was a good year for me (no I'm not that old) as it was the year my mother was born.

SOD, I've only ever experienced a shattered windscreen once and it was like instant blindness, a stone whipped up by a car going in the opposite direction, it hit the bottom off side corner of my screen, but the most surprising thing was that it shattered from the opposite side and came across like a curtain been drawn, very scary.

Regards Nick.

09/06/2022 20:46:25

Hi, after cleaning and making some attachments to hold all the parts for my camera bracket for holding two cameras for taking stereo photo pairs and then masking the areas that I didn't want painting yesterday, today I spray painted then with etch primer from a rattle can and was quite pleased how nicely it was to use.

twin camera bracket 1.jpg

twin camera bracket 2.jpg

Hopefully if the weather is good tomorrow afternoon, I can give them a top coat.

Regards Nick.

08/06/2022 20:06:19

Hi, everything seems to be working faster, but tried to upload a photo in one of my albums, got to click on the upload photos and then got the error 404.

Regards Nick.

07/06/2022 18:33:52

Hi, thanks for the notification.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Buried-cable detector
05/06/2022 23:31:20
Posted by ega on 05/06/2022 16:48:11:

I have always found the standard 9V connector with male and female press studs rather awkward to use.

Hi, but they are handy to have at times.

use em up.jpg

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest