By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Disposable Gas Bottles
16/01/2021 11:56:02

Hi, the last time I went to a local scrap yard I had to vouch that my scrap had no pressurised containers whatever the contents in them was, the simple solution to this was to cut them open, they are then not classed as a pressurised container. Of course your own local scrappy may have a different view.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Chester model b fitting new vise
15/01/2021 10:06:59

Hi James, that sounds like a good plan. yes

Regards Nick.

14/01/2021 10:20:19

Hi James, be aware that you may get some upward flexing of your vice during milling with it fixed with just one bolt, despite it being a heavy one. End mills and even drills will encourage the work to lift. It will be better to get or make a sub plate that you can fix to your cross slide with two bolts and then use two set screws to fix your vice to the sub plate and of course you can fix keys to the sub plate to go into the cross slide, and keys on top for your vice.

Regards Nick.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
13/01/2021 19:45:13

Hi, well today I had a Friday the 13th kinda day on Thursday the 13th, or in other words I had a tad of bad luck and drat! I busted a 13mm drill bit with my pistol drill.

broken 13mm drill.jpg

I did drill a hole successfully though, but it was in situ and in a bit of a cramped space in an additional piece of steelwork that I've put in my garage roof space, and I only had about 300mm of space to get my head and shoulders above the drilling position. The breakage happened while I was withdrawing the drill from the hole, where upon the pistol drill swung round slightly in my hand and my figure just touched the trigger and the drill bit spun in the hole and being it was skew-whiff in the hole, it snapped like a carrot, it was a good cutting drill bit to boot. crying 2

steelwork.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 13/01/2021 19:47:06

Thread: Collet chuck for workholding on the mill
11/01/2021 15:55:23

Hi, well I did this about 4 years ago, with a piece of 40mm ram rod.

cimg2417 (1024x768).jpg

cimg2420 (1024x768).jpg

Much the same as John's idea, but I probably would use a collect block in a vice for smaller stuff, but hay! utilize what you have, that's what I say.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 11/01/2021 15:56:45

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
11/01/2021 09:22:32

Hi, well I don't think the BBC is forcing anyone to watch this programme, and as far as I'm concerned, it's better than watching 22 blokes kicking a ball of wind about, especially as the same one seems to get repeated a few times on a weekend, and much better than the Guy Martin programmes in my opinion. There's always the off switch or pulling the plug.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Chuck backplate error
11/01/2021 09:14:11
Posted by Martin Connelly on 11/01/2021 09:05:11:

Nick, it's only cruel if the cat is not dead at the time crook The original

cut....

Martin C

Hi Martin, but I didn't want to imply you had to kill a cat. devil

Regards Nick.

Thread: Chester model b fitting new vise
11/01/2021 08:58:40

Hi James, I take it this is the machine you have.

model b lathe.jpg

The blocks you refer to are just keys and are not a necessity and as Clog says, use a dial gauge to set your vice square, nip it down lightly and tap it square with the dial gauge on the fixed jaw of the vice and then fully tighten it down.

Regards Nick.

P.S. use a mallet/hammer to tap the vice square, not the dial gauge. angel

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 11/01/2021 09:01:40

11/01/2021 08:06:23

Hi, well how about Clogs idea.

set-up1.jpg

Personally I can't see why the point is having as much argument. If one wants to have a positive register in both planes or not, then I can't see any problem, but as far as getting swarf trapped, surely you should make sure that both the spindle nose and the chuck should clear of debris and be lightly oiled before fitting. As the saying goes; there is more than one way of skinning a cat. (no cruelty to animals intended)

Regards Nick.

Thread: Macro-photography
09/01/2021 08:57:05

Hi Raphael, that's a really smart idea and looks good.

Regards Nick.

Thread: help identifying gear module or dp
08/01/2021 12:35:24

Hi Phil P, I guess commercial enterprises can pass the cost of multiple drawings on to their customers, model engineers that do things as a hobby can't pass costs on to anyone, and even an all-in-one drawing is not always cheap. (all due respects considered)

Regards Nick.

Thread: MIG Gas
07/01/2021 20:39:14
Posted by fizzy on 07/01/2021 20:07:21:

If youve ever tried welding with pure CO2 them moved to the mixed gas the difference is massive. CO2 is a horrid gas to weld with.

+1yes

Regards Nick.

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
07/01/2021 18:52:42

Hi, MEW this morning and ME a few days ago. The MGB or the MG Midget were two cars I would have liked to have had in my younger days the Midget being the more favourite of the two, but both were out of my price range and they weren't very practical for carting Disco gear about in, so I never got either of them. Probably got the money for one now, but not really interested in having one now.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Mill base?
06/01/2021 23:26:33

Hi HowardT, this is what I made for my Major and the GH version is only 20Kg heavier, basically it is 50 x 50 x 3mm square hollow section uprights and 50 x 50 x 6mm angle for the top and bottom frames, I'm sure you could build something similar with just angle iron and be bolted together.

cross brace.jpg

major and stand.jpg

You could also put outriggers and casters on like Paul has done if you so wish, but make sure they are outside of the mills footprint.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Yet another scam lathe sale on ebay to be aware of
06/01/2021 11:54:01

Hi, I've had a couple or more things that were sold from one address and I collected from a different address, nothing new about that.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Metric to imperial
06/01/2021 11:36:15

Hi, well I just do it the easy way, I use a calculator and I'm not ashamed to say so. wink 2

Regards Nick.

Thread: straight shank adapter for MT2/MT3 drill bits
06/01/2021 11:31:59
Posted by John C on 06/01/2021 09:31:57:

Adapters are available - here is an example but rather pricey: Link

I am sure I bought one from Arc but can't find one in the current catalogue.

Hi John, Arc had a 1/2" to 2MT one in their No.10 catalogue.

I have used a 2MT to 3MT extension one in my 2MT gut buster drill on several occasions without any problems, it's all a mater of assessing the job and having the correct stance and keeping your mind on the job in hand allowing the drill to do the job and not forcing it. Gut buster drills were all you had to use on site work many years ago.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 06/01/2021 11:48:28

Thread: Yet another scam lathe sale on ebay to be aware of
06/01/2021 11:23:11

Hi, well I don't use ebay much these days, but when in the past I've bought such thing's to collect, I was only interested in anything that would accept cash on collection, that way you can always walk away if it wasn't what was described, and yes I bought my Boxford from Glasgow without viewing it first, 6 hours there and 6 hours back but the price made it worth it at the time, but that was nearly 20 years ago when there wasn't as much scamming going on. Not likely to buy much machinery now off ebay.

Regards Nick.

P.S. never got unlucky with anything that I collected.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 06/01/2021 11:24:35

06/01/2021 11:11:22

Hi Chris, well you only need to bore out the register part and just put a ring of steel in and re-bore the register to size, a piece of tube would do if you have some large enough.

Regards Nick.

Thread: A finished project - at last!
04/01/2021 21:00:55

Hi, be nice to see it at one of the major exhibitions, if and/or we get anther one, but really looks good.

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest