By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can one buy pliers with parallel jaws that lock like mol
11/05/2021 14:38:12
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 11/05/2021 14:16:03:

Snip

why not improvise or use what is at hand and get on with life?

Hi Jeff, yes, something I had to do many times during my maintenance years when called out in the middle of the night to a breakdown, with the production manager breathing down your neck. It wasn't any good to say that it would have to wait until morning to go into town a buy a particular tool, rather you would have to butcher one if need be to do the job, even if it was a brand new one. Production always had priority.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Dangerous eBay listings can be removed by regulators
10/05/2021 16:03:06

Hi, I guess it can cause many restrictions of what one can sell or buy. For instance, the Hobbymat lathe that I bought many years ago now from a well known trader, may well have been taken down, as the on/off switch was busted and the guard over the Vee belts was missing, yet it still had the flex and plug-top with a fuse fitted. It was clearly stated that it needed repairing and of course I wasn't stupid enough to plug it in before at least doing something with it first.

As Purchased

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 10/05/2021 16:03:48

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 refurb' tailstock problems
10/05/2021 15:20:49

Hi, scan below shows how to lock and release the tailstock.

m&l3.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: Myford A1
10/05/2021 11:18:01

Hi, looks like an ML2 looking at your photos.

Regards Nick.

Thread: MT end mills slightly corroded
10/05/2021 10:59:23
Posted by Graham Meek on 10/05/2021 08:03:11:

Morse Taper cutters that resemble an endmill, but have a Tang, and not a Tapped hole, are usually used to produce counterbores. The thrust from the cutter during counter-boring tending to push the cutter into the Morse socket, rather than winding it out during milling.

Without the tapped hole it would be foolish to use these for milling unless one wants to lead an exciting life, with a possible visit to A&E thrown in for good measure.

Regards

Gray,

Hi, however this type with a left hand spiral and a right hand cut, should in theory, tend to push the cutter into the taper.

1 M/T Tanged Counterborers

Regards Nick.

Thread: Advice on removing column from mini-Mill
10/05/2021 10:29:11

Hi, like Journeyman I think this is the one Adrian means.

mill#drill-1.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: Moore and Wright vintage protractor 994
09/05/2021 17:07:09

Hi Charles, the thing is, these engravings are so fine and very close together and I doubt you will be able to improve them, I usually use a loupe to read mine and the figures are just as fine also.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Ropey Radio Reception?
08/05/2021 13:04:21

Hi, my elder sister used to listen to Radio Caroline. +1 for Freesat.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Whatever must IKB be thinking ?!
08/05/2021 12:58:05

Hi, he might be thinking; so much for computers, CAD and modern ways.

Regards Nick.

Thread: New to me Maisie loco
08/05/2021 08:33:59

Hi David, Maisie is a Great Northern Atlantic, it was named Maisie after an LNER official F.E. Williams' daughter. I don't know if the book contains enough information, but the book has been reprinted a few years ago and is allegedly very complete.

Regards Nick.

P.S. referenced from Brian Hollingsworth book; LBSC His Life and Locomotives.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 08/05/2021 08:42:04

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
07/05/2021 21:18:36

Hi, replaced the brushes in my Bosch GWS 7-115 angle grinder after postie delivered them this morning. I think the old ones are well past their use by date, the little pin that pops out to tell that they need replacing was several months ago, but just lately I needed to give it a nudge now and then to get it to go.

brushes.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: Can one buy pliers with parallel jaws that lock like mol
07/05/2021 16:22:53
Posted by John Smith 47 on 07/05/2021 14:33:11:

@Nicholas Farr - Like I say swivel pads aren't good for small parts.

Hi John, well I suppose it all depends on how small and exactly what you wish to do. I just wanted to take a photo of these three pieces below, but I could have used this set-up if I wanted to soft solder the brass piece to the 10 x 5 x 0.101mm piece of steel.

small pieces.jpg

Regards Nick.

07/05/2021 11:28:14

Hi, those vice grips that have those swivel pads will hold parallel items and even tapered ones and they can be gripped in a vice, OK, the jaws stick out a bit each side, but with most things with an advantage, there's usually a disadvantage, but the two in the photo below are only budget ones but hold extremely well, got them from one of the traders at Ally Pally exhibition several years ago.

vice grips.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: Ropey Radio Reception?
05/05/2021 15:11:06

Hi, both poor radio and TV reception used to be put down as caused by atmospherics, whether it was true or not I don't know, but it always used to get the blame. Use to listen to Radio Luxembourg, (The Grand Dutchy) but usually had the wait till it got dark and of course in the summer that was later than ever in the evenings. But radio wave do travel further in the dark, so I've read.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Hobbymat MD65
05/05/2021 14:37:15

Hi Christopher, when I bought my Hobbymat, the on/off was busted and so was the Formica type plate the switches were mounted on.switches.jpg

These were both slide switches not the rotary ones, but the forward/reverse switch was OK, but I replaced the on/off switch with NVR start stop switch, made a new plate and in good old Blue Peter style, covered it with sticky black plastic. The NVR makes it safe in the event of a power cut or the plug top fuse blowing.

Switch Plate 2

You can view more photos of my refurb in my Hobbymat Album and there is a wiring diagram there too, if you need one. Yes you can use a suitable DPDT toggle switch for the reverse switch.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Dremel and other brands chuck thread size?
05/05/2021 09:05:56

Hi Philip, I've just measured my 395 model and it is 7.1mm by 40TPI, which looks like it is 9/32" x 40TPI. which is close to MichaelG's link.

Regards Nick.

Thread: MT end mills slightly corroded
05/05/2021 08:37:03

Well I use a fairly worn smooth file by holding the drill in one hand and lightly brushing the taper lengthwise in a draw file fashion, but I do go all the way round regardless, which takes the worst off and any dings and then finish off with Scotchbrite, although I don't make them all shiny polished. Never had any problems with any not running true with this method and they always hold in just like a brand new one.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Fitting a Drill Chuck Confusion
04/05/2021 19:09:09

Hi, most hobby lathes have a short 2MT taper and as has been said, you well need to have the barrel sticking out more, maybe as much as 25mm. In many times past, you could get chucks fitted with a short taper but they don't seem to be around now. Of course you can cut a bit off the taper to make it into a short one, but don't cut too much off in one go as the self eject may not reach.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Fortis lathe
03/05/2021 22:55:17

Hi Jarvis, interesting link, thanks for that. While I can remember names like Maxam, Compair and Broom Wade, I can't recall the Holman name, but it was 1970 before I worked for a company that used a lot pneumatics on there production plants, but it was a new semi-automatic plant with fairly complex Compair Maxam pneumatics, that the company asked me to go on the course down in Camborne.

By the way, Jarvis and Lester, it's best not to put personal info like telephone numbers or email addresses in your posts, use the PM system (personal message) for making contacts.

Regards Nick.

03/05/2021 19:48:39

Hi Howard, a bit of info here may be of interest. Graces Guide

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest