By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Just for fun
11/07/2020 20:34:27

Hi, my apologies to Derek Lane, as I have misspelt his name in my post of 11/7/2020 15:31:58 (bottom post on page 1) maybe a moderator can correct it.

Regards Nick.

11/07/2020 15:31:58

Hi Derick, my point is that the one I showed, you can instantly see that they are upside down numbers. This one is a cheapy calculator.

002.jpg

It's a bit out of focus, but the five looks more like a S, the three more like an E the four makes a really good h and the seven makes a reasonable L, but many of the early LED calculators didn't have the return on the seven (look on the 7 on Speedy Builder5's one) the old LED's used to eat batteries for breakfast, dinner and tea, so all the digits were basic, which keep the power drain low, also the decimal point took a whole section, which made a better gap between the two words you are expressing.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 11/07/2020 15:36:43

11/07/2020 11:08:54

Hi pgk, one track mine eh! wink 2

Regards Nick.

11/07/2020 10:33:18

Hi Neil, only trouble is, they are not so clear on my scientific calculators, as they have a natural display, but they did work OK on the old LED ones years ago.

001.jpg

Regards Nick

Thread: warco 220 qctp
09/07/2020 19:08:08

Hi Dave, don't know if any of these were suitable, but this is what Warco had on offer in a temporary brochure at the time they were still advertising their 220 lathe.

qctp001.jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: Pulley removal help needed please!
09/07/2020 14:30:52

Hi Martin, thanks for letting us know how you got on, successful job without tears by the looks of things. yes

Regards Nick.

Thread: Downwards-Counting Cross-slide Dial?
09/07/2020 14:25:22

Hi Hopper, fair do's. yes

Regards Nick.

Thread: Benchmaster Senior Donkey Saw
09/07/2020 10:14:47

Hi, three different tooth count 12 x 5/8 blades available at Buck & Hickmah

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 09/07/2020 10:16:40

Thread: Downwards-Counting Cross-slide Dial?
09/07/2020 09:02:23
Posted by Hopper on 03/07/2020 04:16:40:

So you take the first cut, measure the job and set the dial so that 0 is the finish cut position. Then you keep taking cuts working toward that 0 mark. No need to remember where you are aiming at (or mark the dial with chalk or felt pen as i do) and no need for measuring along the way until about the final cut or two. Makes the whole process simpler and quicker. No repeated mental arithmetic along the way.

I think its a great idea. When i get around to making resettabe dials for my Myford i think i will incorporate it in rhe cross slide dial. Topslide i don't see the need so much.

Hi Hopper, although this is true, 0 comes round every turn of the dial, which ever the direction it turns and subtraction is just as easy as addition, which is what I do, so you can work towards 0 either way, once you know how much needs to be removed. Of course, if your dials are fixed, you have to keep track by marking with chalk or felt pen.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Threading 8.8 bar
08/07/2020 18:20:32

Hi, the 8.8 is a reference to the tensile strength, so the 8mm bit you make will be at the very best, that of an 8mm threaded rod. The only way that can be tested, is to make one and test it on a tensile testing machine, but unless to happen to have one or have access to one it's impracticable. A DIY way of testing, would be to compare it against a new 8.8 8mm piece of threaded rod and using a torque wrench till each one breaks.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Amazon Prime scam?
08/07/2020 11:52:08

Hi, I've got into the habit of not answering calls that I don't know the number of and any that I do mistakenly answer, I can put into my block list, all the numbers I'm likely to want to answer are in the electronic phonebook built into the phone. If I do happen to answer a call that I'm not interested in, I simply say "sorry I'm not interested" and put the phone down before they get a chance to try and hoodwink me. I haven't had any nuisance calls for a long while now.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 08/07/2020 11:53:58

Thread: Cutting brass with saw questions
04/07/2020 10:55:16

Hi MichaelG, thanks for the fascinating In Breguets Footsteps link, although I'm unlikely to take up clock making, but I do admire many of the clocks and the work involved that I've seen at shows, it's much to fiddly for me, I'm more of a heavier metal worker and I have enough projects on the go anyway.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Epoxy & Steel
03/07/2020 19:14:36

Hi Ian P, I though the same as you did to start with, but the little bit at the back top, does look steel-ish to me

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 03/07/2020 19:15:55

03/07/2020 19:06:21

Hi MichaelG, thanks for the confirmation of what I thought the reasons are.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Pulley removal help needed please!
03/07/2020 18:57:50

Hi Martin, the only danger there is with a pulley puller is if you just use the legs of a puller that hook over the edge of the pulley, you could break the V belt groove or if it's steel distort the shape, if it's really stubbornly stuck on, believe me I seen people who have done it. If it doesn't come off with a little bit of heat, your best bet is to use a puller that is connected to a pair of bars bolted together that straddle the shaft, so as to pull on the centre portion of the pulley underneath, or at least as close as possible.

Regards Nick.

03/07/2020 11:05:35

Hi. I don't know much about clockmaking, but I'm curious as to why the wheel spokes don't have a small radius at each end, as in my technicians training, sharp corners are stress raisers and can lead to fracture. Is it just traditional or more aesthetic?

Regards Nick.

Thread: Macro-photography
02/07/2020 07:42:06
Posted by Raphael Golez on 01/07/2020 23:34:41:

Very nice Damsel fly Nick. They are very shy and easily scared. Im sure with a 35mm macro at 1:1 you sneaked up on it like a ninja!

Hi Raphael, yes they are very shy and can see you coming. There were many of these flying around in my long grass back garden, but I was inspired to try and take a close up photo after this one landed in front of me while I was working on a IBC, I carefully and slowly took my old Galaxy Ace phone out of my pocket and took it the best I could. I crept up to one or two others with my proper camera, but they just flew off, so I had to just sit and wait for one to land close by. The camera phono photo below has being cropped by about 60%.

danselfly.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 02/07/2020 07:44:02

01/07/2020 21:28:44

Hi Bandersnatch, it's not bad, but the dead stem it is on, now draws my eyes from the subject, I prefer the unaltered photo.

Regards Nick.

01/07/2020 21:23:28

Hi Neil, thanks for the comments. It was a catch it while you can and hope the focus is good where it matters, it did twitch a couple of times between shots and I was surprised I got that close.

Regards Nick.

01/07/2020 09:09:22

Hi, I managed to get a couple of photos of a Damsel fly yesterday with my Canon EOS 400D with my Canon 35mm macro lens. They are not always easy to get, as any sudden movement and they're off, this first one has just been resized.

001b.jpg

This next one has been resized and cropped.

004c.jpg

They were both more or less a point and shoot kind of procedure, as it doesn't take much to spook them.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 01/07/2020 09:14:08

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest