By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The most complex clock built in our lifetime
25/09/2021 16:05:00

Hi, well I'm not into horology, but I do like clocks and if your the sort that is known as a clockwhatcher, then you might miss whatever you are watching the clock for if you are watching this one, seems to be something different happening every moment or so. I don't agree that it is ugly, in fact I think it is quite elegant, but, I don't think I've got the time to make another one like it though. smiley

I've taken many machines apart that take a couple of days, just to replace a worn out part and then another couple of days to put the machine back again, hate to think how long it would take to replace something in the middle of this clock.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Macro-photography
23/09/2021 18:48:54
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/09/2021 11:54:45:
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 21/07/2021 12:35:57:

Below are eight results the four odd numbered ones are parallel views and the four even numbered ones are cross views and No. 1 & 2 are those with the halo effect.

You despicable cad! Reversing the order of the views from the previous post, resulting in my eyes nearly popping out of my head!

Very nicely realised and presented.

Neil

Whaat! teeth 2

Hi Neil, glad you liked the photos wink 2

Regards Nick.

Thread: Back to Imperial
22/09/2021 16:05:42

Hi, talking of pints and short measures of beer, back in the latter part of the 70's, slightly larger capacity straight pint glasses became more common which had a white line near the top to show a full point measure, which I guess allowed a pint to be drawn with a head and would be at least a full pint after any head had settled down. One night I was in a pub with some friends and we were at the bar ready to order, there was a guy who had just been served a pint and it was below the top of the glass and he asked why the glass wasn't full. Another guy standing just the other side of him pointed and said about the white line shows the full pint, at which the first guy turned to him and in a rather grumpy agitated voice "I was asking the bleeping barman not you" we all looked at each other with raised eyebrows and I think someone in our group said quietly "that shut him up"

Regards Nick.

Thread: What do you think of this con
22/09/2021 11:24:41

Hi, the checkout assistants do only what it says on their screen these days, it reminds me of an Autumn coat that I got from Matalan three years ago, the rack had a price on it that said "only £11.00" but when I got to the checkout it came up at nearly double the price. I queried this with the young lady who after a little bit of polite discussion said "I don't know what to do" to which I replied "call your supervisor" the supervisor confirmed that the higher price was correct, I said that the price on the rack was the lower one and being there was no other price tags on the coat I said that that is the price I should be paying, she replied that someone must have put the coat back onto the wrong rack, so I said that they did that with the whole rack of a dozen or so of identical coats then. I had to take her to the rack in question and she saw the price of £11.00 which she promptly removed and said the staff had obviously put the wrong price tag on that rack but she couldn't see a rack that that price should have been on, so no one had swapped any price tags over either. I simply said that by law that is the price that I should be charged whether it is correct or not, she replied saying that they don't have to sell it to me at all, I simply said I'll buy it for £11.00 as stated on the rack when I picked it up, or not at all, she relinquished and I got it for £11.00. Sometimes you do have to stand your own ground.

Regards Nick.

22/09/2021 09:24:10

Hi, +1 for MichaelG's "Basic stock-control" I do the same thing with my shopping of long lasting goods, although I don't like sherry, but currently have several bags of ground coffee at a discount price, which will all get used before the use by date runs out at the end of next year. Take advantage of quantity of the offers that you know you will use, before they become unusable, but not like some who seem to buy stuff just because it's got a bargain price on it and may have to bin it because it's gone bad.

Regards Nick.

22/09/2021 07:52:42
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/09/2021 23:27:43:
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 21/09/2021 22:44:39:

Hi, I don't know if I'm missing something …

I think Bill and I have both explained … It appears to be the person on the till who has missed something : the concept of an “alcohol only basket”

MichaelG.

Hi, good morning MichaelG, maybe I should have read old mart's post this morning instead of just before I retired last evening. However, it could be that the alcohol made up more than half the basket value, could be something in the small print and maybe the scanning system rejected it for that reason. Might pay old mart to contact the complaints department to clarify the situation. It could be a badly worded condition that wasn't flagged up during a review.

Regards Nick.

21/09/2021 22:44:39

Hi, I don't know if I'm missing something, but I can't see where the con is. It is not unusual for offers to have T's & C's, just important that you read and understand what they are and if your not sure, best to ask before using the voucher.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Absolute beginner, just bought a cheap lathe
20/09/2021 14:50:16

Hi pgk, that would have most likely worked, but if you look at DiogenesII's first photo, you will see that the tools and any shims required sit on top of the slide and the way Chris's one has been attacked with a grinder, won't produce a very good surface for them without a significant overhang.

Just had another look at mine and you wouldn't get a piece wide enough between the dove tails for it to have any surface for the tool to sit on width wise and you would more than likely to have to have it right to the front end for any tool to sit on in that position.

Helicoils or the "Ugly repair" DiogenesII has shown, would have maybe, been the best solution if done in the first instance.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 20/09/2021 15:08:38

Thread: Old gear
20/09/2021 11:59:39

Hi Derek, nothing wrong with getting excited at any age, what ever floats your boat etc. doesn't matter what anyone else thinks and I hope you enjoy your ventures with your new toys.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Absolute beginner, just bought a cheap lathe
20/09/2021 11:50:52
Posted by Chris Drew on 19/09/2021 21:06:02:

See, I said I was a complete novice, of course you are correct it’s the top slide which is broken! I had heard of just removing it but then I couldn’t see how the tool post would mount as it uses 2 m8 bolts to attach to the top slide and of course there aren’t any mounting points on the cross slide. BTW i am located just outside Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire…. The height of the tool post also relies on the top slide so without it the tools would be very low and there isn’t enough adjustment to raise them. I had thought of drilling and tapping the other end of the top slide and just reversing it which I can’t see why it wouldn’t work…

Hi Chris, at a last resort you could reverse the top slide and drill and tap the other dove tail to keep the gib strip in the correct side, the downside is the the single hole ((at least on mine) is in the wrong place to get the two holes for the tool post in the same position and you would have to be a bit precise for the little hole for the gib strip pin. The single hole could be used for one of the holes for the tool post but that will mean it will be a little further back and as a result the top slide may engage with the rotating chuck before the tool that you would be using reaches the point that you need to take a cut too, but you could cut the top slide a little shorter, which would be about 6mm to come off, but of course you would loose 6mm of travel of the top slide as well. You can always glue or screw a piece of sheet metal over or those wrecked holes or even use body filler or similar, to stop swarf etc. getting all over the winding thread and filling the cavity.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Cutting Steel Plate.
19/09/2021 13:46:01

Hi Ady1, sorry I have to disagree with that, unless you have a very old seven or nine inch grinder or some horrible foreign piece of junk, you are unlikely to have one of those with a locking trigger. I've used angle grinders all my working life almost every day and I'm afraid the most dangerous part I've seen, is some operators of them and I've never had any problems with the locking (or rather latching) triggers with any of the five inch and below ones, nor have I known anyone else in my working environments having problems with them. Using them correctly and safely and with due confidence will reduce accidents considerably, all usage of angle grinders should be assessed, and any pitfalls taken into account and only when a safe method of doing the job safely, should allow you to continue, if a danger of injury is perceived, then reassessment is needed or a different method employed.

Regards Nick.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
19/09/2021 12:56:41

Hi Neil, that looks a good job, as for the cement resin, I don't think there was anything like that when I did my door step and even if there was, it probably would have been out of my budget range in them days, what with a young family and all. I think I used a bit of silicon sealer where needed, which I was allowed to have from work ( they were good like that, if you asked for reasonable requests)

Regards Nick.

Thread: Cutting Steel Plate.
19/09/2021 12:27:40
Posted by Ady1 on 19/09/2021 08:56:54:

I use 115mm x 1mm blue spot stainless cutting discs to cut steel plate up to an inch thick

remove the grinder guard and wear sensible ppe

You do it in stages, cutting an approx 0.5 to 1cm deep trench for the entire length of each pass until all the way through

NEVER force the disc, ever, let it do the work, and stay clear of the kickback zone

If you are going in too deep it will start to pull so stop and come in from a different direction

With a bit of practice it's actually pretty easy, so do the easiest part first to get a feel for the job, you need a steady hand, cut straight lines to minimise kickback/pulling friction, and stay focussed

Edited By Ady1 on 19/09/2021 09:13:26

Hi Ady1, no disrespects, but you should Never use an angle grinder (or any other type of grinder) with the guard removed, nor should you advise anyone else to do so, I agree about PPE but this is a secondary defence not a first one, all other forms of safety should be considered and put in place first and the guard is the first defence, the correct and undamaged guard fitted and correctly adjusted properly will prevent burst parts of a disc, being flung onto the operator, the only parts that may hit the operator should only be any that may bounce back from something else and these will have less force for your PPE to deal with. My advice is to wear full face protection and a leather welders apron whenever using an angle grinder, even for a job that takes only a moment. A moment is all that is needed for a part of a flying disc to cause a serious or even a life changing injury.

Regards Nick.

P.S. if however you like playing Russian Roulette, that's your own choice, I guess.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 19/09/2021 12:31:53

18/09/2021 12:10:54
Posted by Mike Poole on 18/09/2021 11:05:17:
Posted by mechman48 on 17/09/2021 17:32:34:

..I am sure that for foodstuffs it makes little difference as long as you aren’t supplied with 453.6g and charged for 500g'

Are you sure your not; & by the way I've not seen anything on sale with a weight of 453.6g it's always 100g, 450g, 500g, 1kg increments.

George.

A jar of Robertson’s Golden shred Marmalade is labelled as 454g, pretty close to 1lb in my book.

Mike

Hi, well I prefer Mackays Vintage Dundee Orange marmalade myself, who's weight is in both 340g and 12oz, not very many people can measure the difference between those two.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 18/09/2021 12:13:17

Thread: Lubricating DRO linear scale on Mini Mill
18/09/2021 10:17:01

Hi Andrew, make sure the screws that hold the bracket onto the head are not too long so that they rub on the back of the rail, put a washer under the screw heads if need be.

Regards Nick.

Thread: A Couple of Questions about Pipe?
18/09/2021 09:15:28

Hi, I agree with Martin with regards to barrel nipples. All the galvanized pipe that I've ever seen has been galvanized both inside and outside (That is when it is new)

Anyone remember running joints in pipework?

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 18/09/2021 09:19:45

18/09/2021 08:58:13
Posted by Peter Greene on 17/09/2021 22:16:18:
Posted by Bill Dawes on 17/09/2021 21:43:29:

I'm 79, 80 in a couple of months, doing model engineering has made me think back to my apprentice days on the shop floor and drawing office and realise now how ridiculous trying to use dimensions such as 37/64" was. Nostalgia apart, metric is far more logical.

'Imperial' is not ipso-facto fractions. I have never in my whole (Imperial) Engineering life used fractions, or seen them used seriously on drawings or elsewhere. 37/64 would be 0.578 ±whatever

Hi Peter, below is a scan of part of a commercial drawing showing one of the views of a general arrangement of a machine that I've actually done maintenance on.

drawing.jpg

And this is the drawing info showing all the tolerances in fractions.

drg-info.jpg

This is just one of the many drawings that I've seen during my working life that have used imperial measurements using fractions and it was common even for awhile after the general use of the metric system although many were using decimals instead of fractions also.

Regards Nick.

15/09/2021 19:46:36

Hi Neil, talking about door sills takes me back to 1982 when I moved into a fairly old house and after being there for a while, I had to look at why the floor just inside the front door was a bit springy, turned out the ends of the joists were rotten just behind the sill. The sill was fair well worn and the water bar had rusted badly letting the rain in. The sill, which is more of a step, was a concreate cast and really wasn't repairable, so after cutting back and replacing the joist, I set to and made a plywood mould and fitted in a stainless steel water bar, the step had a slight slop downward away from the bar and a rounded corner on the outside, plus a semi-circular groove on the underside to prevent water running back on to the brickwork it sat on. I mixed up some sand and cement and a load of those small stone chippings that you get in paving slabs and cast it into my mould with a bit of some inch square mesh for reinforcing which I tack weld to the water bar, might have been a bit overkill, but it turn out and fitted just fine and although I might be blowing my own Trumpet, it really did look like a proper job.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Apple recipes
15/09/2021 10:44:33

Hi, well I suppose these were engineered using a scale, but they look to be full size. wink 2

I'll get me coat.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 15/09/2021 10:59:02

14/09/2021 20:47:27

Hi, today I managed to flatten the up-turn of the tread of my step-up and fold the downward, but I had to anneal it four times in all, three times to flatten it and one to complete the fold.

step-up#7.jpg

It took about eight minutes to get it to about 700 C with my big propane torch each time.

It was then cleaned and fitted and is now ready for use.

step-up#8.jpg

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Dreweatts
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest