By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
18/02/2020 21:38:08

I was forced to do quite a bit of angle grinding of concrete in the shed on Saturday and Monday. I didn't take the time to spend a few hours coccooning everything in dust cloths or industrial cling-film. I spent today finding the shed again, but will probably be picking up grit covered things for the next several years. embarrassed

Thread: Bridgeport original slotting head
18/02/2020 21:20:25

The slotting head doesn't take up any storage space when it's mounted on the back of the Bridgeport's ram, where it belongs. Put it there and you get the opportunity to learn how to use it and also teach the kids what it's for.

Thread: Slideway locking screw bottoms out
15/02/2020 23:22:13

it would be almost impossible for the pin to escape from the machine side of the hole, since the gib is in the way. your options are:-

1. Have a shout at Warco and demand a prompt supplie of the missing pin.
  2. pull the saddle off the base, push out the pin that's there and manufacture an additional one out of whatever brass/bronze you can find.
  3. turn a brass pin of the right diameter to fit (use a drill or similar to find diameter), file to match the dovetail angle and live with it.
  4. poke a drill down the hole to cut a conical face on the corresponding bitof the gib and use a longer screw fronted by a bearing ball of suitable diameter or a conical point to match the crater in the gib.

All of the above are valid methods, and there will be others. If the machine is brand new, No1 is the approved answer. If the machine is "pre-loved", then 2 followed by 3 followed by 4 would by my choices. I have used all except No1 (new machine, What's one of those?).

In the meantime, just use the locking screw that does work. If the gib is adjusted with minimal clearance it should be sufficient for locking the slide without any problems.

Thread: A Warning
15/02/2020 23:04:26

To be fair, even the cadburys' product was better than the Kraft replacements.

Best friend's dad was a senior chemist ad mackintosh's before they merged with rowntrees. He used to bring bag fulls of experimental sweets home, which got shared out to use kids.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
10/02/2020 20:21:10

Aha. Thanks!

Thread: What would I use a Plasma Cutter For
10/02/2020 00:29:23

I'll be using the plasma cutting function of my multi-process machine tomorrow (today???) to cut some 1.6mm steel sheet that I had previously cut with an air powered nibbler. The (machine mart) nibbler has eaten two sets of dies cutting that thickness of steel. I know that the plasma cutter will just plough through it.

As noted above, they do produce a lot of oxide dust/smoke. Dust extraction is very helpful if you aren't working in a well ventilated area.

Thread: Wot No Teeth?
10/02/2020 00:08:37

Darn it!

I had always assumed that a pre-engaged starter drive would be kinder to the gears compared with the bendix system.

10/02/2020 00:05:25

How did you cut the ring gear? Expiring minds need to know!

Thread: Problems with Sky emails
02/02/2020 21:25:27

Cheap support comes from poor sods in front of a screen with a set of scripts. For support that is knowledgeable about all parts of the system you have to pay a lot of money. The best support, generally, is to have the knowledge yourself to diagnose and correct problems.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

Edited By Mark Rand on 02/02/2020 21:25:39

01/02/2020 20:16:14

Been steadily working away in the shed since 09:00 making a 'tray' to sit the beaver milling machine in. The shed floor isn't as even as it should have been (my fault), so self levelling casters/feet are an alternative to wedging/grouting machines into place. I finally gave up at about 20:00 when I realised that my welds were getting worse with practice...

Thread: renew driving licence
01/02/2020 20:10:33

Since I've been a diabetic since the age of 7, almost 55 years ago, I've always had to renew by license every 3 years. The buggers took anything over 3 1/2 tonnes off me in 1999 with the nice explanation that I could retain them if I could prove that I was driving such for 20 hours per week or more and submit more medical forms.

Thread: Milling machine & Shaper query
29/01/2020 22:01:58

My 10" Royal shaper served me for best part of 15 years. It was rough when I bought it, did a quick and dirty rebuild when I got it and a proper rebuild last year, then sold it last weekend.

In its time with me, it's acted as a power hacksaw, with a power hacksaw blade in a custom bow saw/frame saw type frame.

It's machined parts to rebuild two lathes and a milling machine including cutting a couple of pinions, one of which was a form that I didn't have a cutter for and the other that the B&S cutter wouldn't fit in the space available on the blank.

It's done much of the work that a milling machine would have done until I got one working and did the work of a bandwas until I got one of those as well.

Now that I have my Beaver milling machine rebuilt and also have a slotting head for it, the shaper has gone on to someone else that can appreciate its relaxing action and the resulting showers of dangerously hot samurai swarf tinkling about the shed and embedding themselves in the walls and myself. laugh

Edited By Mark Rand on 29/01/2020 22:09:20

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
28/01/2020 01:06:19

Presses like button. cheeky

27/01/2020 23:43:26

Got a bollocking at work after I was asked to make a Fourier transform routine to be called by another program for an undefined number of points. Knocked up a DFT routine in awk that would work for any number of points. Boss insisted that it should be a FFT coded in Fortran. That didn't work well when called with a non 2^n number of points!

Wars have been started over whether to put the jam on the scone before or after the clotted cream. Don't even start on whether to crimp the pasty on the side (Yuk) or the top...

Edited By Mark Rand on 27/01/2020 23:46:29

27/01/2020 22:32:24

Things not to talk about:-

Brexit

Trump

Multiple motors on VFDs

Downstream switching of VFDs

Desirable colour of swarf

HSS/Carbide

Toy/Industrial machine tools

Cars

Diesel vs compression ignition engines.

Locomotive valve gear.

Euthanase me now, there's nothing left to discuss!devil

Thread: Superglue chucks
27/01/2020 18:09:35

Hit it with a heavier hammer. Use a block of wood between hammer and work to avoid damage, if needed.

Thread: Argos Warranty
26/01/2020 13:56:31

Why does one need to buy an additional insurance based warrantee policy to cover something that the shop is legally liable for in the first place?

Thread: All things Beaver Mill
26/01/2020 12:16:43

The original fitment was a pair of Hoffman 135ACD angular contact bearings at the bottom and a Hoffman 130 type 100 deep groove ball bearing at the top.

According to my purchase history at bearingboys.co.uk, I used 1 x 7207-CDUP4 Nachi Precision Ball Bearing Pair 35mm x 72mm x 17mm ()

for the bottom ones. I can't remember what the top one is equivalent to, but it's a simple 6000 series deep groove ball bearing, so the spindle and quill diameters should let you choose the right one.

Tony at lathes.co.uk has got such manuals and parts lists as are available,

Thread: Call for Classified Ads for MEW
26/01/2020 12:01:52

The shaper is now trundling away to its new home. Very fast response, the same day that the magazines came out. smiley

Thread: Air line / compressor fittings
15/01/2020 22:49:10

I did use PCL couplings when using a long flexible hose from the compressor, but I'll be changing over to the Euro 25 couplings when I put the fixed copper air line around the shed. They have a larger bore.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest