By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What V belt cross section for use on a standard sized Picador pulley
10/06/2021 13:25:42

Could be any section that was ever made. Picador made a lot of pulleys,

belt-sections-sizes.jpg

Thread: Into the darkness
09/06/2021 19:41:54

I'm more than a bit narked about the plan to ban fluorescent tubes in the near future. LED tubes have, pretty much, exactly the same lumens/Watt as T8 triphosphor fluorescent tubes. The only ones that even claim a better output only emit over 180° of their circumference.

Thread: Hinckley C
08/06/2021 19:08:08

We'd have had a dozen new nuclear power stations if some bunch of pirates hadn't dismantled the CEGB and flogged off its component parts to Other nations' companies. It was called asset stripping when Tiny Rowland did it. it was called privatization when B****y Thatcher did it. angry 2

Edited By Mark Rand on 08/06/2021 19:12:33

Thread: Best place to buy materials
08/06/2021 18:59:40

This is another reason why it's a good idea to put your location in your profile or at least, mention it in your post. Without that, people cannot offer help as to local suppliers.

Thread: My Starrett clamp can cause cancer....
08/06/2021 18:55:46

The labels are printed with lead based ink and fixed to the box with a plutonium based glue...

Edited By Mark Rand on 08/06/2021 18:56:38

Thread: Is Liquid PTFE Any Good For Airlines?
07/06/2021 17:29:18

Or 542, which is what I have a bottle of.

PTFE tape has worked very well for a long time. People get panicky about it because of the risk of getting flecks of PTFE in narrow passages etc. when the tape is over applied or on the inside of the sealed joint. Pipe dope, 'liquid PTFE' etc and so-forth are just variations on the sealant theme.

Thread: Sine bar
05/06/2021 21:19:45

I've never seen one, or a photo of one, but I believe that Hardinge made a 'double' sine bar or table. The principal was that, instead of having the stack of gauge blocks on the milling table etc. and the sine bar forming the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle, there were two hinged bars and the gauge blocks were clamped between them, forming an isosceles triangle.

The calculation was sin(angle/2)=(gauge stack length/2)/bar length. While the calculation is slightly more complex, the advantage of the system was that the gauge blocks would not have any tendency to be squeezed out of the assembly, even for large angles, since they were clamped between the tangents of two cylinders, not a cylinder and a flat.

If one ends up making a sine bar, this system might be worth considering.

05/06/2021 13:30:39
Posted by John Haine on 05/06/2021 08:59:55:

But just how accurate do you need the angle? A simple and cheap Wixey angle measuring box will resolve 0.1 degrees and they are pretty accurate according to my measurements, and probably cheaper than a sine bar.

Edited By John Haine on 05/06/2021 09:03:53

Wow, the resolution is the same as 12 turns of the autocollimator dial! cheeky

Thread: The worst 'upcycling' tragedy ever?
02/06/2021 09:38:33

One could always use it on the pipe from the workshop air compressor...

Thread: New EBay payment regime
27/05/2021 17:50:54
Posted by Brian Baker 1 on 27/05/2021 16:22:28:

Greetings, I am not happy with the idea of Ebay having my bank account details, given that they have been hacked before, and will now be an even bigger target for hackers, one of whom will eventually through.

I have decided to sell the bits that I have on other websites.

Regards

Brian B

Umm. People can't pay money to you without having your bank details unless you want to go back to receiving cheques of envelopes full of cash...

I'm guessing that these changes are because EBay no-longer own PayPal, so they don't see any advantage in having most of the money going through that entity.

Edited By Mark Rand on 27/05/2021 18:10:57

Thread: GOOD NEWS ! Midlands MEX
27/05/2021 10:19:37

Yes, but you aren't going to cause symptoms in anyone else who is also fully vaccinated. So Darwin steps in and removes the non-vaxers from the population. What's not to like?

26/05/2021 21:30:18
Posted by not done it yet on 26/05/2021 11:20:26:

Perhaps because he is a realist, not a fantasist? There are still enough covidiots/non-vaxxers out there to create further havoc.

That's not a problem.Given our typical ages, we'll all have had at least two vaccinations by then (Got No2 today smiley). So we can ignore all the youf and the infectious fools.

Thread: Thread on front forks on a Raleigh bike
26/05/2021 21:16:39

What is all this B****cks? BIkes are brazed up from reynolds 531 tube, have 26tpi threads, have springs in the saddle for fragile sorts and the more modern ones have caliper brakes rather than the conventional rod brakes.

Bah! Humbug! I'm off to re-charge the carbide pot for the lights. cheeky

Thread: Joint Failure
26/05/2021 20:54:33

I was under the impression that the retailer has the legal liability for defective goods that they sell.

I would suggest that a failed seam on a kettle that had no obvious impact damage could only be caused by defective design or manufacture.

Thread: The worst 'upcycling' tragedy ever?
25/05/2021 22:27:46

I have in my possession a genuine 500V Megger, one of the more modern of the hand-cranked models, before the advent of electronics.

I would be happy to apply its probes to sensitive parts of the anatomy of anyone who performs or purveys this sort of abomination, apart from the aforesaid bilgeport which obviously would fall over under the weight of the light bulb...

24/05/2021 10:14:48
Posted by Mike Hurley on 24/05/2021 09:52:07:

Perhaps someone could re-purpose a Bridgeport as a candle holder?

A bilgeport is far too flimsy to upcycle into a candle holder.

RIP Sir John!

Edited By Mark Rand on 24/05/2021 10:15:22

Thread: Burnerd Chuck Jaws
23/05/2021 21:55:15

Try rotagriponline.com. look in their index tab for Pratt Burnerd jaws and try to match up what you want with what you've got. If push comes to shove, you might be able to post one of yours to them to be sure the ones you choose are the same as those they pull off the shelf.

Thread: BSW Fasteners
23/05/2021 21:40:29

I've got most of a box of 1/4x1.25" BSW CSK slotted head screws. Got caphead and hex, but not countersunk. Her Majesty's Royal Mail seem to think that it would cost £3.05 to stick some in a jiffy bag and post them to an address in Istria for delivery in about a week.

If that's any good to you, message me with an address and they'll be in the post tomorrow.

Edited By Mark Rand on 23/05/2021 21:42:49

Thread: A Welding Problem - Steel Type?
23/05/2021 21:28:24

^^^^ What Fizzy says.

The arc welder would cope with 6mm using 2.5mm rods and three passes. A 7018AC rod would give a better result than 6013, but not as good as on a DC welder. The MIG welder should be reserved for sheet.

If you want to be able to make welds you can trust, take a City & Guilds course on the process (MIG/MMA) that you want and expect to pay £500 or so for the basic level one course. The level two course tends to cost a bit more and needs level one as a prerequisite. level three is for extreme enthusiasts and earning a (good) income. To be honest, your shouldn't do any welding that you expect to hold together without some training. I speak from embarrassing experience.

Thread: Metric or Imperial, Fractions or Decimals
23/05/2021 14:35:38

Umm. Surely on the drawing you always put a table showing words to the effect of:-

Untoleranced dimensions below 1/16" ± 0.002". Below 1" ± 0.05". Below 12" ± 0.01". above 12" ± 0.015". Tolerances are not to be cumulative.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest