By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: micro switch
01/07/2020 22:57:06

Learned something today! Been doing electronics on and off for 50 years and never realised that people used naked microswitches!

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
29/06/2020 23:08:32

Low precision machining and fitting of non-isotropic material has proceeded nicely in the shed. Tomorrow I hope to weld it together,,,

frame.jpg

Thread: Upgrade to Microsoft Edge
27/06/2020 20:55:54

Bah! Humbug!

24 hours to compile and build GCC

12 hours to compile and build glibc

24 hours to compile the X window system

18 hours to compile Mosaic.

Now you tell me I've got to upgrade it?

All timings were about the same on an HP9000 320 and a Sun 3/50, not surprising since they had very similar performance. Those were the days!

Thread: Ring rollers
25/06/2020 23:24:29
Posted by IRT on 25/06/2020 22:56:24:

I am looking for plans for a proven design of ring roller.

Does anyone have a link to the George H Thompson design? I can't find anything.

George H Thomas:- The Model Engineers Workshop Manual.

Edited By Mark Rand on 25/06/2020 23:26:40

Thread: Liquid shim (or similar)
24/06/2020 23:02:43

Assuming we're talking about 0.3mm, then get a few sheets of plastic shim from cromwell.co.uk or mscdirect .co.uk.

You could get brass or steel shim stock to do the job, but the plastic works wuite well and is available in thin sheets.

Liquid shim concepts might appear to be good. but how do you tighten the parts down to them?

24/06/2020 22:50:00

SWMBO has ordered me to make a new garden gate after its predecessor lasted less than 25 years.

I'm ashamed to say that I spent some of today cutting tennons in allegedly 150x47mm C24 timber on the milling machine. Mortices will be cut when the 16mm long series cutter arrives from Ketan at Arc Eurotrate...

Thread: Artistic hand cut oilways
23/06/2020 22:50:06

We don't teach children and youfs to use chisels anymore. We should do!

Thread: The cost of cheap (Free) materials
22/06/2020 21:27:28

Picking stuff out of the skips at work can cause problems.

That 1 metre length of 3" diameter CZ121 brass* very nearly crippled me. disgust

*Marked on the bar, complete with purchase order number...

Thread: ELLIOT 10m
22/06/2020 20:55:52

If it is dual speed with six wires, it won't normally be dual voltage even though star and delta connections are used to get the two speeds. Look up Dahlander motor of help in understanding the wiring.

Thread: Material for a Chuck Backplate
18/06/2020 00:04:20

Whatever you've got or whatever you can get will be adequate for the job. Cast iron, EN1, EN3, EN24 all work on backplates I've made and I'd be happy with brass as well if I had a suitable lump without another use lying about.

Possession is nine tenths of the rule! So use whatever you can get most readily in the size you need. Although the EN24 needs a bit more effort to machine...

Thread: MEM Corliss progress
12/06/2020 00:12:02

Wow, Someone who's got a BCA as their milling machine!

Which version is it, out of curiosity (I've got the one I inherited from dad, but it's a project rather than a machine tool at the moment).

You are obviously using it to produce excellent work...

Regards

Mark

Thread: Hardinge Identification help
05/06/2020 22:17:27

It's an HLV (no -H). had a hard life, but most of them have, bearing in mind that the youngest of them is 60 years young and most will have had no TLC for the last 40 of those years if in industry.

If you've still got the shaft/pulley assembly from the Reeves variable speed drive, I may well be interested (why not, my 1952 HLV already has parts from five different machines!)

Thread: Parting tip breakage
30/05/2020 22:23:57

Did Neil delete the video lonk from the OP?

Thread: Myford MG9 grinder
27/05/2020 23:26:29

Are you intending to re-align/re-scrape the ways after the painting?

Thread: The sneering detractors
26/05/2020 02:41:37

To be fair, Alfred, Lord Tennyson's missive concerning the Light brigade during the battle of Balaclava was more than a bit of doggerel, it was the only acceptable way for him to report the monumental clusterf*ck that had occurred.

In the meantime, in English Literature (grade 5 O level 1974), I read the part of Caliban, a savage and deformed Slave. when we studied the Tempest. cheeky

Edited By Mark Rand on 26/05/2020 02:46:48

Thread: How big can I go with a machine vice?
26/05/2020 02:21:41

1. Bigger is always better bearing in mind size of mill table and any height issues.

2. Mounting with the jaws parallel to the T slots is often simpler unless the spacing of the T slots matches the vice mounting holes/slots closely (can get around this with an intermediate fixture plate with holes to match both table and vice)

3. Only real problem with overhanging the table is that anything sticking out of the back of the table will reduce the usable Y axis movement, The area of interest is that between the jaws and that which the cutter can reach.

It can be useful to be able to mount the vice at an angle to the table! I've got one mounted at 45° at the moment for a part that needs that angle in its geometry. If you don't have a riser block for your mill, you might find that, while useful to set angles, a swivel base uses more height than you want.

Thread: Myford MG9 grinder
23/05/2020 23:57:55

I wondered who got it. Spent half an hour lookking at the pictures and thinking about it, but sanity (and a lack of space) prevailed. laugh

Thread: The sneering detractors
22/05/2020 20:58:17

I like the workbench. I'm pretty sure that I had one like that once. laugh

19/05/2020 23:24:51

Started off setting up a casting to be machined in the mill. Centred it, did some calculations, then set up the DRO for a bolt circle.

At this point, I somehow got completely distracted. I disassembled and cleaned the Hardinge 5" three jaw chuck off the lathe.

Assuming that it's the same age as the lathe is and it hadn't been opened before (didn't look like it), then it's not surprising that the grease had turned to varnish after a mere 68 years...

Everything moves a lot more freely now. I might even get a new set of jaws for it (maybe some false teeth as well laugh)

Thread: Archived bbc programmes available now
14/05/2020 04:39:16

Some hours later:- Just watched it to the end. It was well worth the lost sleep. smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest