By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Computer Disaster! Help needed!
23/08/2020 15:40:57

With a Dell, you get to the bios by pressing F2 when starting. keep tapping it as soon as you've turned the power on, so it gets read as soon as the keyboard is enabled.

Thread: Split collet steel recommendation
21/08/2020 21:18:34

Any steel will be pretty much identical in 'springyness' and recovery back to original diameter for those sorts of movement and diameters.

Without hardening most steels are fairly similar although the 'free machining' steels seem to have more of a resemblance to warm butter if you are unfortunate enough to drop a finished part...

If you want a longer wearing/more robust collet without having to harden them, you could look for EN16T or EN24T. The T stands for the pre-heat treatment condition and ends up about 30-34hRC. Also machines better than the annealed versions, being less grabby.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!

Thread: All things Beaver Mill
20/08/2020 21:51:20

Didn't get around to taking photos when making it, so I'll have to mock it up. laugh

I do have the advantage of having a slotting head and a rotary table for the cutting of the splines.

Has your's got noticable rotational play? Mine had about 9°, which is enough to be a real problem on heavy cuts...

Thread: Who trains these ideots?
18/08/2020 22:52:13

I'm on my second Sandero (first one was T-boned by a lady on a roundabout, who hadn't noticed my son indicating and turning right).

I don't have a problem with the service schedule when the car is still in warrantee. Why should I?

I think that they are brilliant cars and (to paraphrase Simon in the garage). New, they're a Renault with £10,000 in the glovebox.

If we eventually wear this one out, it'll probably get replaced with a Logan...

Thread: All things Beaver Mill
18/08/2020 21:49:09

Put my Mk1 VBRP head back together yesterday with its replacement five-speed poly-V pulleys. Top speed is now 4000 rpm. face 1

I've almost finished making a new drive bush (the bit that has the internal spline to drive the spindle). Just got to turn a groove on it to locate the back gear. The original appears to have been a soft steel and the splines are worn to the point that there is 9° of play. This made interrupted cuts noisy and destructive.

A new back gear pinion is also being fettled, since the replacement I put in a few years ago has been wrecked by the hammering.

The replacements are EN24T, but I'll be sending them off for nitriding as well.

Thread: Copper mig wire and boilers etc
18/08/2020 21:31:41
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 18/08/2020 08:43:01:

And in order to comply with the boiler code to operate the finished boiler in public you need to be a coded welder or have samples of joints and materials tested professionally as demanded by your boiler inspector.

The relevant section of the code refers to 'welded' boilers not welded steel or welded copper so TIG counts I'm afraid.

About £300 per joint geometry, process and material typically, if you have the skill and just neet the coding.

Could still be worth it for someone who's already got the skills.

I got City&Guilds level 2 on stick and TIG, which wis very good value for anyone who feels the need to do a bit of metal gluing in the shed,.

But coding isn't worth it unless it's needed for work, or so you can earn bragging rights on your boiler making.

Thread: Twerps with hats on back to front and no front number plates
17/08/2020 21:12:02

The whole document is here

8.8 Vehicles used between different parts of the land

You may use red diesel in your vehicle if it is used on public roads only when moving between different areas of land occupied by the same person, for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry, as long as this does not involve travelling on public roads for more than 1.5 kilometres.

Your vehicle must also have a ‘nil licence’, being an exempt vehicle for the purposes of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994.

Thread: Deburring Stones (stones for deburring)
11/08/2020 23:20:15

The Oregon files I have were made by Valorbe.

Be that as it may, I use a file or a deburring tool for deburring edges in the lathe or after grinding/milling and either a dubbed (surface ground to be flatter) handle-less file or a ground flat Norton type stone or a hard flat Arkansas stone for deburring flats, depending on the level of precision needed.

Thread: Triumph motorcycle auction
09/08/2020 00:11:53

I would say that virtually all of the lots will go at scrap prices. The machines appear to be slow three axis ones, which are well past their prime. most of the tools are pot luck left overs that couldn't be used on the replacement machines. Some of the tool holders, particularlyBT30 and 40 and unused ones will go for a reasonable price.

I was at the auction of the Meriden works, having been a member of the Meriden branch of the TOMCC after I bought my TSS. What was being sold there really was scrap. I was shocked at how the factory could have made anything on the machines that were left. I don't know if John Bloor or les Harris had pre-bought any of the machinery.

As it was, I spent most of the day wandering forlornly around the site, crying my eyes out.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
07/08/2020 22:39:09

The original layour made perfect sense to me, in terms of centring a piece on the faceplate. I hadn't considered orienting the tool in any other way!

Thread: What lathe tool for deburring holes?
02/08/2020 00:28:04
Posted by jimmy b on 01/08/2020 17:52:17:

If you have deep pockets, these could be of interest.

**LINK**

Jim

Get thee behind me, Satan. laugh

Thread: Quorn using E32 collets
31/07/2020 00:24:03

Not ER32, but Martin Models, in the States, do R8/5C workhead castings and drawings. I have a set maturing in the box with the rest of the Quorn bits...

Thread: Jobs
31/07/2020 00:07:18

Well, all I can say is:- Bah! Humbug!

Thread: How Best to Sell a Clarkson Cutter Grinder & Accessories?
25/07/2020 22:26:28

Personally, I would say that splitting the grinder and all of the attachments out separately is sharp practice and I would not buy from such a seller.

The grinder on it's own is almost worthless without the associated attachments, despite the prices asked for them,

Thread: Alloy stuck to cutter
19/07/2020 01:02:01

If you use Washing soda, heat it up. It is pretty slow at room temperature, but works quite quickly close to boiling point. The aluminium carbonate that results is insoluble and the reaction will stop if all the washing soda gets used up.

Thread: SuperGlue as a means of holding in lathe
14/07/2020 21:34:50

If it's any help, I was turning a 95mm dia by 4mm EN24 (quite tough) steel disc today, glued to a 50mm bar with 221 (low strength) Loctite. It did have a 5/16" bolt through it to hold it to the bar, but the Loctite was there for the torque.

The flatter the surfaces the better and if there is any possibility of a bolt or pressure from a tailstock centre it will help resist side forces.

A reasonably light tap with a hammer released the part from the bar.

Thread: New Toy
14/07/2020 21:26:18

That does beg the question of how can the feed screw be that far out? Or has the dial a peculiar number of graduations on it?

Thread: Selling on behalf of executors in 1975
12/07/2020 22:58:24

Dad's ML7B long bed, with clutch, three jaw and four jaw chucks and brazed carbide tools cost £168/10/5d in January 1965.

It got close to causing a divorce, since he added it on to the mortgage for the new house without consulting with mum. The house was £2000. I still have the lathe...

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
12/07/2020 22:42:35

"Write a program in C# because my Java is rusty."

Damn I'm old! My C was approved by messrs Kernighan and Ritchie and only just progressed to the new ANSI style.

I did, at one point have 65,000 lines of code in HP Rocky Mountain Basic and 24,000 lines of HP Pascal in use in the company at one time. They weren't interested in selling the programs to our customers and only missed out by a few million pounds in the process...

But at least I turned my nose up at FORTRAN and COBOL (apart from a few programs I had to translate)

Thread: Message from the prime minister
08/07/2020 19:43:36

SWMBO has just pointed out that our glorious leader has obviously never been in my workshop. crying

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest