By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Anyone good at fault finding with amplifiers here?
18/08/2019 22:23:51

But you don't have to repair them. They are so cheap that they are disposable. I used to be able to hear 20kHz as a teenager, but I could never hear 200kHz...

Said he, who bought a Pink Triangle turntable because he didn't like the nasty ringing sound of the Lin Sondek LP12.

Thread: What 3 Words
16/08/2019 21:42:01

Curiously, the English translation leads to a location in Inner Mongolia...

Thread: Grid Frequency [mains electricity]
13/08/2019 16:44:12
Posted by AdrianR on 13/08/2019 14:43:52:
Posted by Bazyle on 13/08/2019 13:47:32:

It implied off a website quoted above that there was no point in having a conductor more than 18mm in dia. I was under the impression that the high voltage overhead lines are more like 6in dia but hollow segmented tubes as anything inside wouldn't be carrying any current

The skin effect is true, but applies to each conductor, so a multi stranded cable has more surface area and therefor has lower resistance at high frequencies.

Audiophile speaker cable has multiple very fine strands for this reason. Even better if it is gold plated.

Incidentally on a different subject, If you have ever wondered why power lines have more than one cable on each arm it is to combat the corona effect. This effect is where electrons gather at sharp points, e.g. sparks start at the point of things. A high voltage cable in cross section looks like a point, so will bleed electrons into the surrounding air. By having more than one cable closely spaced they tend to cancel the electrostatic field. This means to the electrons they look like much fatter (blunter points) cables.

Adrian

Only if the conductors are insulated from each other and then woven/plaited/arranged so that the net field on all conductors is equal. Audiophile multi-strand/gold plated speaker cables are an excellent way to remove money from gullible fools, especially since gold has a lower conductivity than copper. Silver is a better conductor, though.

Thread: My digital calipersseems to give varying readings
12/08/2019 22:56:04
Posted by 34046 on 12/08/2019 21:04:11:

Binned the digital and bought Mitutoyo dial vernier, £100 well spent

How is the vernier implemented on the dial caliper? wink

Thread: Upgrading to fibre optic broadband
01/08/2019 19:20:09

Just to be pedantic:- It shouldn't have been mB or MB. In data bandwidth terms, a capitalized multiplier implies base 16 terms and lower case implies base 10 terms. Also, bandwidth is referred to as bits/S (small b) not bytes/S (large B).

So the abreviation, in this case is mb/S. smiley

The current BT FTTC systems can provide >300mb/S up to about 300m from the cabinet. They have been quietly upgrading the cabinets and running fibre to the telegraph poles, so if you are on an upgraded cabinet (ours has another box bolted onto the side of it) and are further than 300m, you will get FTTP, which is actually connected to the already run fibre at the pole top.

I'm currently getting 288mb/S down and 47mb/S up on copper at 100m from the cabinet, which is three times faster than my previous BT infinity offering and slightly cheaper.

It does make a noticeable difference to many things. I wanted it because I run a web server that hosts a number of web sites and the users had been moaning from time to time about the speed of it.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
01/08/2019 00:22:55

Finally got around to starting the wallpapering in our dining room. SWMBO had pointed out that she bought the wallpaper five years ago. It went a lot faster after I remembered that galvanized flat headed nails held the paper up better than countersunk screws. smile p

Al:- if you ever get to the stage again that you are repainting the collet cupboard door, you can do what I did:- Use short lengths of angle iron with a pair of dowels fitted to the top sides for the toolholders to seat onto, with the other sides welded (hence the repaint!) onto the inside of the door. I managed to fit most of my toolholders in this way

Thread: CARBIDE BURRS
25/07/2019 14:57:53

I use Cromwell and MSC/J&L.

Thread: Unknown 8 inch shaper?
23/07/2019 15:35:37
Posted by Richard brown 1 on 23/07/2019 00:56:20:

Has a lot in common with a royal by the look of it

It looks as if the Denford guys had certainly seen an Eriksen shaper up close before they designed the Royal. The Royal's under-drive is better than the rear drive of the Eriksen, the Two-speed + two belt steps on the Royal are a wash with the three speeds of the Eriksen, but there's a distinct resemblance there.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
22/07/2019 22:46:02

Fitted a stop to one of the milling machine vices. it's a bit of 3/8" silver steel threaded into a tapped and counterbored hole (for a firm fit) in the key that locates the fixed jaw. That way, If I decide I've got it wrong, I just need to replace the key, not the vice! It's secured with a brass split cotter and seems to be nicely free from slop. It has allowed me to put consistend chamfers on the ends of a few lengths of oblong tube prior to TIGing endplates onto them:-

Also, got a cheap 24"x36" picture frame from The Range, to stop the drill speed chart decaying any mode from airborne crud in the shed. Used a tack-rag to clean a frightening amount of dust and muck from the poster before mounting it in the frame. Does anyone know of a current supplier of such charts?

Thread: Gibraltar Toolpost
22/07/2019 22:09:51

The long bed Myford ML7's do have a much heavier bed casting than the short bed ones. They also use the Super 7 style cross slide and top slide, which are an improvement on the earlier ones.

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 22:07:29

Used a vertical slide on ML7's for a while.

(Another unlisted one) Got a Royal 10" shaper in 2003. Did a lot of useful work with it. Recently finished giving it a proper overhaul and will put it on Adam Stevenson's site when I remember.

Inherited a WW2 no-name BCA Mk2 from dad. Don't know if dad made them or it was a real 'war job' but the feed screws are 7/16" BSW. Haven't rebuilt it yet, but had thought of turning it into a 4-5 axis CNC machine.

Mk1 Beaver VBRP with 48" table. This took four years to rebuild (seems to be standard for any rebuild I do). Built a 7.5" riser block for it that gives it a very useful working envelope. Picked up a Beaver slotting head from a dealer for £60, which was daft money, given what Bridgeport ones go for. Recently finished fitting a DRO based around Allendale/M-DRO mag scales and a Shumatec DRO-550 head.

PS:- there seem to be a lot of BCA machines out there!

Edited By Mark Rand on 21/07/2019 22:09:43

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 21:48:54

Myford long bed ML7B with clutch that dad claimed to have bought for my 10th birthday in 1967...

Short bed ML7 basket case that I bought in 2000. Got Myfords to re-grind the bed and rebuilt the rest of it. Fitted an inverter bought from John Stevenson to go with a decent 3ph motor. Sold it in 2008 after I inherited the ML7B.

Dad died on Christmas Eve 2003 and I inherited the Myford plus a Hardinge DV59. Never used the Hardinge and it eventually got scrapped!

1952 Hardinge HLV bought in 2006. Rebuilt over four years, using the Myford to re-manufacture all of the apron gearbox shafts and gears. It is my current every-day lathe.

Thread: Aldi bargain laser level
19/07/2019 11:41:18
Posted by JasonB on 19/07/2019 07:27:30:

"Thanks Michael but there is no need to, it is a very sloppy M16 x 2 (which I haven't got any taps or dies for) so I'll re-cut the thread to something I have got. Something like 1/2"UNC / Whit,"

Said he, choosing the size where you need a fairly hefty spanner to interchange the two threads. laugh

Thread: If it ain't broke don't fix it - or should I?
19/07/2019 01:18:43

Don't worry too much what it looks like. Is it actually rough when you drag a fingernail along it or it is just an optical effect?

Either way, unless it has been hardened, it'll eventually wear smooth.

18/07/2019 23:53:32

Bah! Humbug! Revisionist history!

Edit to add smiley. laugh

Edited By Mark Rand on 18/07/2019 23:54:30

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 23:41:47

Well, bugger! I guess I ought to leave too. Looking around the shed, the only non (ex-) industrial machine in there is the ML7 that Dad told me was my 10th birthday present (odd how he played with my present more than me in the first few years) and even that's the long bed version with a gearbox.

I missed the deleted posts, but it's obvious, with the best will in the world, that folks making large scale models aren't going to be using Seig machines from Ketan or even Myfords or Boxfords. It's also obvious that some of us (well, me at least) like industrial machines, even if they arrive in the form of rusty basket cases and take years of work to return to the condition they left the factory in.

Yes, we're all jealous of the tools you've got and the progress you are making on the traction engines, and flying an aeroplane when not occupied in the shed as well!

Come back in, shake the snow off your coat, spit on the cat and call the rug a bastard...

18/07/2019 23:16:51

Just a little niggle from a little way back:- Why would one assume that camera and telescope mounting threads are UNC? They were in use a long time before Unified threads were decided upon.

Please use the correct (Whitworth) thread form for your tripods!

Oh, and 5/8" x 13tpi is probably a DD Holtzapfel thread. cheeky

Thread: Gibraltar Toolpost
18/07/2019 22:28:24

The residents of the rock, And the late Tom Walshaw might prefer it if folks referred to the Gibraltar tool post by its correct name. cheeky

Edited By Mark Rand on 18/07/2019 22:28:36

Thread: brass needed
10/07/2019 21:32:27
Posted by Garry Martin 1 on 10/07/2019 17:40:58:

does anyone have or know where I could get a piece of brass

cz121 75mm dia x 20mm thick from that does not cost more than the clock I have bought

could be 75 x 75 square 20mm thick

Edited By Garry Martin 1 on 10/07/2019 17:42:13

Having a location in your profile (or even in the post) makes it far morel likely that someone will say "I've got some, when do you want to pick it up?"...

Thread: Mains outlets with USB sockets - safety?
06/07/2019 21:36:18

In a car load of stuff I took to the tip today were two MK double 13A BS1361 mains sockets. Both had failed by welding the contacts closed when connecting a 10A rated load (somewhat capacitative)...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest