By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Source of Machined Nuts
23/05/2019 21:40:36

You'll have to let them rust and then de-rust them so that they don't look like they came from a showroom. cheeky

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
22/05/2019 13:18:24
Posted by Martin Rock-Evans on 21/05/2019 22:04:05:

Today I cut the final tooth on the final drive gear of my 3" Burrell.

I was really chuffed when it fitted with the drive pinion, right up until when I tried to turn it all the way around and found one tooth that didn't fit! Turns out I missed one on the final pass.

Good catch!

21/05/2019 19:04:31

It wasn't what I actually went out to the shed to do today, but I fixed a little niggle on the milling machine. The table feed trip lever is very unbalanced by design and has a tendency to cause the feed to cut out when going from right to left. I finally found a use for a bit of the lump of copper-tungsten alloy that I got off ebay 15 years back:-

Thread: HSS or CS taps and dies
21/05/2019 00:10:11

A big generic difference between carbon steel and high speed steel taps is that carbon steel ones may have been turned then hardened, whereas high speed steel ones are almost invariably hardened then ground.

21/05/2019 00:09:30

A big generic difference between carbon steel and high speed steel taps is that carbon steel ones may have been turned then hardened, whereas high speed steel ones are almost invariably hardened then ground.

Thread: indexible internal thread cutting tool
19/05/2019 21:51:27

You probably need to play with the tool height a bit to find the heigh for the best finish.

The reason for the tip down angle is to improve the clearance on smaller thread diameters.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
19/05/2019 00:09:57

Used the milling machine for the first time since just before Christmas. I've been sorting out some feedscrew alignment problems that I hadn't fixed after scraping 20-30 thou off the table and saddle combined. Had to move all the feedscrew bracket holes... I've added some more way wipers after seeing the damage that has happened in the short time after I rebuilt the mill (it's a Mk 1 Beaver VBRP, that had some design issues leading to rapid wear) I also took the opportunity to mount the support profiles/extrusions for the magnetic strips for a DRO.

For most of the last six months there have been bits of milling machine scattered around the shed, but I had to re-assemble it all so that I can machine the brackets to support the reading heads for the DRO smiley.

Thread: Model Turbines
18/05/2019 23:22:04

Likewise, GEC turbines/Alstom/GE, who paid me money for most of my life, have a model air turbine* in the Aerodynamics labs at Willans Works in Rugby. Due to reorganisation and politics, it's the only meaningful part of the labs left now.

*single stage 1000hp with air provided in a closed loop by the compressor stages of a J57 turbojet, driven by a geared up variable speed electric motor.

Thread: Source of Machined Nuts
18/05/2019 02:58:59

0.445" AF hexagon steel is available from a number of suppliers, some on EBay or locally, Acenta in Paynes lane (although, the last time I looked, they weren't as friendly towards orders of smaller quantities (less than 1 tonne, unlike when they were Macready's). Might still do single bars...).

Haven't got a 0.445" hex collet, but the three-jaw will work for a limited value of working. Get me a bit of bar and I'll churn them out for you on the HLV.

For small quantities, it might be worth tapping some round stock, then milling/surface grinding it to hexagon, before parting off. Or vice-versa.

Edited By Mark Rand on 18/05/2019 03:04:05

Thread: aching ribs - posture
17/05/2019 09:43:57

The simple solution is to be short-arsed, like myself. laugh

Thread: Drilling cast iron - where did I go wrong?
17/05/2019 00:01:34

Wot he said ^ smiley

16/05/2019 00:57:05

Why were you using a pilot drill for a 10.5mm split point drill? A spotting drill is ok (use a spotting drill rather than a centre/slocombe drill), but there is no need or value in a pilot drill for that size.

With such a large pilot hole, there is little to restrain the drill from grabbing ant it will chatter unless used in a heavy drill press or milling machine.

Edited By Mark Rand on 16/05/2019 00:59:55

Thread: Adjustable workshop perching stool
13/05/2019 20:44:08

Thanks for the reminder Stew. I also want to improve my welding, but in this case it's TIG welding of aluminium, since I've mostly done steel, stainless and cast iron to date, apart from one day of playing with it after I'd finished a course at Northampton college . smiley

Now I need to get on and do it. Too many projects, not enough time...

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
13/05/2019 20:32:08

Since I got a car with a speed limiter/cruise control it's made me a far better driver. I can set the speed limiter to the current speed limit and then concentrate on driving safely. Bugger all the BMWs and AUDIs that are queueing up behind me.

If I stick with the articulated lorries on the motorway I can get a genuine 80mpg, if I don't, it drops to 65mpg That beats the previous two Renault Espaces with their 35-40mpg averages.

The car is a 2015 Dacia Sandero 1.5 DCI (a Renault Clio 1.5DCI with £6000 hidden in the glovebox). The current versions have marginally poorer economy, but with Urea injection and NOX catalyst, they're as clean as any petrol or electric vehicle.

Edited By Mark Rand on 13/05/2019 20:32:27

Thread: Adjustable workshop perching stool
13/05/2019 20:04:00

Due to having been born stupid and spending 61 years improving on the original condition, I've lost the link to the (US, I think) model engineering or welding or similar forum that I got it from, but a chap posted about the same design of chair last year and also included links to some plans that he had made. While I've lost the original link, I still have the plans that I downloaded, and the 12 metres of aluminium 1" square and angle section that I bought to make one of the chairs for SWMBO in her pottery workshop and me for a welding and lathe chair in my shed.

If anyone wants to see or download my copy of the plans, they're here:-

Assembly diagram.

Parts diagram.

The material is all 1/8" thickness aluminium square tube or angle apart from the seat, which is whatever wood or bog-seat you come up with.

PS:- If anyone can remember the forum that these came from, it'd be nice to know, then we could thank the author.

Edited By Mark Rand on 13/05/2019 20:04:19

Edited By Mark Rand on 13/05/2019 20:05:15

Thread: What makes your bristle?
11/05/2019 02:00:46

So should one use the cerium oxide or diamond paste polishes, or stick with Solvol Autosol,which comes in a handy tube?

Thread: Homeworkshop
11/05/2019 01:44:38

Memories of the cigarette machine in the shop outside the works in the mid '70s blush.

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
11/05/2019 01:21:21

The thing about Wylfa is that it's a nuclear power station. Fuels costs effectively zero. 44 years of power production for not a lot of running costs. If we had followed the French model as expected in the '60s and '70s, electrical power would be the cheapest source of energy we had. Hopefully in another 50 years our children and grand children will have fusion power stations coming on line, but it'd be nice to build a couple of dozen new fission plants to tide us over until then,

(Waves hands:- I sent out the purchase order for the cooling fans for the JET generators when I was a child at GEC Machines).

Edited By Mark Rand on 11/05/2019 01:22:05

26/04/2019 22:48:50

Since everyone seems to be having a moan. Can I complain about the ever increasing number of complete arseholes that don't use their handbrake when stopped at junctions and traffic lights, but keep their foot on the brake pedal. Thereby shining their head-level brake lights into my face! angry

Thread: ML7 feed screw wear
26/04/2019 01:30:47

As well as the linked thread, the nuts are a 'consumable' item. They were originally Mazac/Zamac/zinc alloy and wore in preference to the feed screws. They are an easy, cheap replacement and worth doing before you replace the screws themselves, but the cost of the complete screw+nut assembly is cheaper than the original Myford Beeston parts were.. The Myford/RDG web site has them listed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest