By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Blacking engraved lines
12/02/2019 01:32:51

I use a Markal paint stick from MSC (was J&L). Same idea as the engraving wax and cellulose paint. Rub on, then wipe over with a non-fluffy rag.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
08/02/2019 23:07:12

On sheds:- **LINK**

A weird shape, 2.7m wide at the back, 4.8m wide at the front and 8.4m deep, 3m tall at the eaves and with a 1.5 wide x 4.5 long x 1.1m deep 'cellar'. The cellar should have been 1.5m deep, but I discovered that the water table was about 300mm below the soil level embarrassed.

In other news. I've got a little silver soldering job to move some dowel and screw holes in the end plate castings of my milling machine. Due to the large amount of scraping that I had to do to restore flatness to the table and saddle ways and dovetails the X feed screw is about 1.6mm 1/16" away from the axis of the feed nut and power feed mechanism. This has caused the last 6-8" of travel in each direction to be rather tight. I finally decided to do something about it and concluded that the change needed was so large that just enlarging the holes and using larger dowels and sloppy bolts was not the right answer.

Current plan is to silver solder plugs into the existing holes, then bore them out in the right locations. Because it's thick cast iron, I wanted to get some Tenacity 6 flux rather than the Tenacity 5 that I've got. Trouble is that no one seems to sell the stuff retail and the lowest price I could find was about £50 for a 500g pot. Today a 1lb pot of Harris Stay-Silv Black flux arrived from our American colonies via Amazon, for the grand price of £14.50 including FedEx carriage.

It seems to be pretty much the same stuff as Tenacity 6:- Similar to Tenacity 5, long lasting and a similar temperature range, but with added boron to work with more refractory/hard to wet materials, such as tungsten carbides, stainless steel and cast iron.

Thread: What is this electric clock mechanism
06/02/2019 22:09:56

I've got a slave clock in my shed with the original mechanism removed and replaced with a quartz movement. I think if I had my time again, I'd probably drive the original via a Raspberry Pi and an IGBT.

Thread: WHERE ARE THE SHAPER USERS ?
05/02/2019 17:13:58

Joining in the old thread resurrection. Before I got a bandsaw, the 10" Royal shaper did a fair bit of work as a power hacksaw:-

Thread: Neil:- Is the spelling chucker broken?
04/02/2019 23:46:00

Neil, none of the suggestions address the site specific spelling chucker that is part of the forum setup!

In my case, while Firefox will check my spelling as I type, it won't suggest corrections, even with a dictionary loaded.

Eggs are hard boiled. crying

Edited By Mark Rand on 04/02/2019 23:49:13

Thread: Unused Xmas Gift
04/02/2019 13:38:20

More of a problem can be the hammering that the milling machine spindle splines get with the intermittent load. Not so much of a problem on new machines, but I'm slowly getting through making a new drive shaft for my early '60s Beaver machine because the 9° of slack in the splines really makes the machine shake when any cutters are partly engaged, shell/face mills especially.

Thread: Alternative to a QCTP?
03/02/2019 01:16:08

When I got my original Myford, it had a 4 way tool post. I never could use it fully stocked with tools due to clearance problems and catching on the tools. I found it to be a right royal pain to use.

I made a quick change toolpost to the late, great , John Stevenson's design. This worked very well, but wasn't much faster than using dedicated shims under tools with the standard myford tool clamp. It did have the QCTP advantage of repeatable tool setting.

03/02/2019 00:59:20

In which case It might be a good idea to remove the links for the third party spelling checker, because that appears to have expired:-

Edited By Mark Rand on 03/02/2019 00:59:57

Thread: Testing for isolation
02/02/2019 00:57:33

Folks may raise their eybrows over the comments about keeping one hand in one's pocket, but when I started at GEC Machines, Rugby and did a stint in the test department, the instruction booklet (Which was still entitled BTH test department) stated quite clearly that:-

"When working on open switchgear, operatives will keep one hand in their pocket at all times".

This isn't an oddity, it'll save you from the very real danger of touching a live conductor with one hand, while holding onto something that's earthed with the other one. It has stuck with me for over 40 years.

Personally, 110V scares me far more than 240 or even 11kV. For 240V or higher, I'm paranoid and make sure that I don't work on live equipment. On Higher voltages, Lockout/tag out was always available. But 110V often got worked on as-is. It stings, even when centre tap earthed! And when some morons in a foreign power station wired 50 odd 220-110V local supply transformers to accidentally give 220-330V, instead of 55-0-55, half the time, it got down right scary.angry

Edited By Mark Rand on 02/02/2019 01:03:04

02/02/2019 00:37:00

Over the last few weeks, when I attempt to use the forum's (third party) spelling checker, it seems to check spelling, but get stuck on loading spelling suggestions for my idiosyncratic use of the Queen's English. Does MyTimeMedia need to update a subscripstion or is something else amiss?

I've tried it on my desktop machine, that I had to 'side-grade' from Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition(!!!) to Win 10 Pro and the household domain controller that's running Win server 2012. Both with current versions of Firefox.

I can't work out what's broken, even though I used to earn my keep doing IT. crying

Thread: Repairing a hole
02/02/2019 00:19:38

Since the pin is out, there's no need for a slot/centre cutting endmill. I'd go for a 3 or 4mm three or four flute carbide endmill, after having centred the hole. I would cut from the 'good' side, so that when the end mill got to the damaged end there was enough support to discourage the flutes from cutting the sides of the hole. You could also use a carbide drill from that side, but might want to control the feed to lessen the load on the 'weaker' drill.

Thread: ML7 tailstock angle alignment adjustment
01/02/2019 10:44:37

The other point is that you need to back off the screw on one side so you have room to tighten the opposite screw. laugh

Thread: ARC's Adventures in China 2019
29/01/2019 13:58:14
Posted by Ketan Swali on 29/01/2019 03:40:49:
Posted by Mark Rand on 28/01/2019 19:47:06:
Posted by Howard Lewis on 28/01/2019 16:16:09:

Getting flu must really put a cap on not being able to try out the new safety boots!

Where can we find plans for a Get Well Card?

Howard

Arc are selling them at a very reasonable price. laugh

Hey Mark,

Considering that the uvexes have walked through the Summer Palace, Badaling section of the Great Wall, Forbidden City, old German Colony in Qingdao Port (I never knew they had a colony here!), Hangzhou West Lake and many other places and factories, with over 180,000 steps... I think they should carry a premium teeth 2

I meant the get well cards!

28/01/2019 19:47:06
Posted by Howard Lewis on 28/01/2019 16:16:09:

Getting flu must really put a cap on not being able to try out the new safety boots!

Where can we find plans for a Get Well Card?

Howard

Arc are selling them at a very reasonable price. laugh

Thread: Coming up for auction
27/01/2019 20:11:03

Probably a fair bit less, because they would be working far more efficiently. Most of us (Jason excepted) are not as productive as we would be if we had to feed ourselves on the fruits of our labours.

Thread: did u see
27/01/2019 14:45:05
Posted by Brian H on 25/01/2019 17:54:37:

I believe that the correct description of Midland Red is Crimson Lake.

Brian

Midland Red is a bus company cheeky.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
26/01/2019 21:22:05

I've got to do some woodspoiling to make a 'built in' ornament cupboard and as part of that, I need to rip some 2 1/2"x4 1/2" mahogany down to 1 1/2"x2" (the wood shop had bits that were a bit too small or this bit, that I can make two pieces from). I realized that my bandsaw blade stocks had all been used up, so got a couple delivered. Rather than just fit one of them to the wood bandsaw I decided it needed a clean up...

Three hours of polishing 'light surface corrosion' table, waxing the table, hoovering a lot of sawdust out of it and finally fitting and adjusting the new blade. The bandsaw now seems to run far more sweetly than it has done for a year.

I might get around to sawing the bit of wood on Monday. laugh

Thread: Some big tools
24/01/2019 23:38:27

And while we're posting pics, Here's the 14 foot swing 1948 Craven sliding bed lathe that was at work. I actually took this picture because of the 'chuck guard' that H&S made the factory fit. In my time at work, this was used to grind the blade tips of turbines with a 5hp toolpost grinder. Its turning duties had been taken up by the larger Waldrich Siegen further down the shop.

And here's the crane that serviced the bay that it was in. The bay was originally the 'Erecting Shop', where steam turbines were assembled and tested. Later it was called the '100 ton bay' (the crane got uprated to 120 tons 10-15 years back), There's a second 100 ton crane in 16 bay further down the factory. That's the Royce that later partnered with a Mr Rolls. Another bit of engineering heritage!

Edited By Mark Rand on 24/01/2019 23:39:37

Thread: US/UK Lexicon
23/01/2019 13:19:14

The greatest problem I have with the English language is the darstardly works of the evil Noah Webster, who single handedly created an entire nation of illiterates.

22/01/2019 23:48:53

I would add that I've always referred to Mole Wrenches rather than Mole Grips. I suppose a more British form might be Mole Spanners and a more pedantic form might be Mole Pliers. Still better than the colonial rubbish though cheeky.

As for Engish flat bead lathes having an eqivalent in South Bend, Wouldn't it be the Atlas instead?

Note:- The flat bed Waldrich Siegen lathe at work turned 80 tonne rotors...

Bah humbug laugh

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest