By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ML7 feed screw wear
26/04/2019 01:30:47

As well as the linked thread, the nuts are a 'consumable' item. They were originally Mazac/Zamac/zinc alloy and wore in preference to the feed screws. They are an easy, cheap replacement and worth doing before you replace the screws themselves, but the cost of the complete screw+nut assembly is cheaper than the original Myford Beeston parts were.. The Myford/RDG web site has them listed.

Thread: Eclipse magnetic table
26/04/2019 01:21:06

My original 8"x24" Eclipse mag chuck on my J&S 1400 had ferrite magnets, which won't lose their strength, rather than Alnico ones, which do. In the end, the problem was moot, since it didn't have any provision for re-lubrication and by the time I disassembled it the aluminium casting that the shaft/cam ran in had cracked and it resisted my attempts and machining a replacement and getting the resulting surfaces to be oil-tight with the original casting (only had the 10" shaper and the ML7 at the time). If there is an oil nipple/filler, I'd use it. If there isn't, I'd be very tempted to carefully drill into the end of the aluminium casting and tap for an oil nipple, then pump ISO 68 or 220 way oil in until it comes out copiously, without trying too hard to replace any oil seals. In the meantime, keep an eye on the auction site of your choice for sensibly priced fine-pole chucks. They're far more useful than the original Eclipse chucks.

Thread: Difference in Myford Guard label colours
23/04/2019 21:36:13

There may be no significance other than Myford buying a new batch of transfers! My 1965 ML7 has a transfer with a yellow background.

PS:- welcome to the forum. smiley

Thread: Where's my Dykem blue gone - there's no need to read this
18/04/2019 13:49:08

Don't know about the Dykem, but the Stewarts Micrometer Blue will be in the zip-lock bag with the wiping rags and the brayers if that's any help. wink

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
16/04/2019 19:11:00
Posted by Mick B1 on 16/04/2019 13:30:20:

I cut the thread mostly rotating the chuck by hand, because screwcutting under power close up to an internal shoulder, when you can't disengage the halfnuts and it's hard to see the tooltip, seems like courting disaster to me. My metric WM250V has a 63 tooth change gear, not 127, so the 12 TPI setting can only be approximate - but fortunately both nuts screw on to the sample water gauge spigot they lent me - after I'd cut the thread ...

A 63 tooth gear for metric/imperial conversion gives an error of only 0.0125% if used in the correct direction (63*2.54=160.02). So it's not all that approximate. wink

Thread: Jacobs Gear Hobber
10/04/2019 23:02:59

That speed gives about 100 feet per minute for steel, which is the accepted cutting speed for HSS cutters on mild steel blanks.

Thread: Myford colours
10/04/2019 22:59:35

Much the same as Mike says:-

I had an ML7 belt cover matched with a Dulux machine in a DIY barn (B&Q). The resulting shade was nothing like the original sample, other than being grey. It was used to paint a stand that I'd bought in a slightly 'foxed' condition, that needed a fair bit of welding.

I've got a tin of Myford grey (made by Trimite) that I bought from the stores at Myford's Beeston works but, as yet, I haven't opened it so I don't know how good a match it would have been for my 1967 lathe.

I suspect that not only does the paint change over the years, but that the original paint colour may have drifted with time as well.

If the lathe has been completely stripped, then just use whatever colour takes your fancy.'Dove grey' is a shade to look for that's close. By far the most important part is the high-build primer or filler that goes on and gets sanded flat before the top coats. Without that, the castings look as rough as castings!

Edited By Mark Rand on 10/04/2019 23:00:37

Thread: 2 pack, enamel...paint advice please!
04/04/2019 16:34:44

I used 2-pack acrylic to paint the Hardinge HLV after rebuilding it. I used a hooded disposable Tyvec overall, nitrile gloves and a Dräger isocyanate rated mask during mixing and painting. I was religious about this, after not using the mask when mixing the first batch, before spraying. Tight chest and asthma-like symptoms ensued.

It gets quite a lot harder after a couple of weeks, even though it's hard to the touch after half an hour. This it worth remembering if you are in a hurry to get swarf all over the painted parts.

If you are aiming at a 'mirror finish', get a rattle can of matt black paint and just give a spritz of it over the panel before sanding or buffing. This shows you any low spots on the surface as you sand down the high spots. Visible at the far left of the first picture.

You can use the original colours. or not...

Thread: Stiff Quill Travel on Myford VMC Milling-machine
25/03/2019 00:42:36

Might not apply to the VMC, but I have found with my Beaver milling machine that even oil on the quill can make it very sticky. Spotlessly clean and dry works very well.

19/03/2019 00:02:28

Spent the day nailing up a bit of plasterboard to finish a built in cupboard location and then stripping wallpaper for the rest of the day. Desperately waiting for the delivery of some 6-32x1/8" grub screws from Emkay so I can retreat back to the safety of the shed...wink

Thread: Hardinge lathe on fleabay
18/03/2019 23:55:47

The 'new' rack doesn't look all that new...

The cateract style lathes are interesting historically, but not an HLV or HLV-H

Thread: Windows Update (Again)
18/03/2019 23:49:50

You are comparing an old/replaced system with a new/replacement system. If the new did not show advantages over the old, it would not have become the replacement. That is not an operating system choice, it's development over time.

16/03/2019 23:33:32
Posted by Vic on 16/03/2019 22:56:33:
Posted by Brian Hutchings on 15/03/2019 18:17:41:

Not happy with Microsoft.

I do wonder sometimes why people stick with them. Admittedly all systems have problems but there seem to be so many complaints about Windows. There are alternatives like Linux, Android or maybe a Chromebook? A mate of mine has been a Microsoft user for decades but now prefers to use a Chromebook and they are cheap as chips, well nearly. I use an iPad and a Mac Desktop sometimes but tablets are so convenient to use for many things.

There are two reasons that there are so many complaints about Windows:-

1. There are so many Windows installations compared with other desktop operating systems.
  2. There is a vast amount of supported software and hardware that non-expert users expect to operate without any specific operating system knowledge.

Having spent 20 years as a system administrator and still having a Windows domain, 5 Windows clients, 7 Linux client/servers and 5 Android clients in the household, I see no problems with Windows that I wouldn't expect with any other OS. I don't use any Macintosh hosts because I have no need for their specific abilities/limitations.

Edited By Mark Rand on 16/03/2019 23:34:07

Thread: Dore Westbury Mill
15/03/2019 21:58:46

Even though I had a set of Dore-Westbury castings and drawings before I got my Beaver milling machine, I would say that nowadays one would be better off getting something like the Seig 2 or 3 machines from the likes of Arceuro. Similar price, but more capacity, but still bench mountable if that is a requirement.

Thread: Jones and Shipman 540 Dripping
13/03/2019 10:53:44
Posted by Bob Astill on 13/03/2019 10:05:13:

what do you mean by disconnect the cylinder? David

he probably meant 'remove the blocks that the piston rods attach to the table with at each end'. Once they're unbolted from the table, the table is just sitting there under its own weight.

Thread: All things Beaver Mill
11/03/2019 21:51:13

Don't know about removal, other than removing the nut from the top of the drawbar and taking it out downwards. The reason is almost certainly that the splined part Beaver spindle isn't really big enough for a 5/8" drawbar. So it's probably 1/2" (same as the NMTB30 spindles) with a larger extension at the lower end where there's more meat on the spindle,

Edited By Mark Rand on 11/03/2019 21:54:04

Thread: Myford Lathe on Ebay
10/03/2019 17:33:42

I'm not quite sure why anyone bids on ebay without using a sniping program. It doesn't serve any useful purpose sad.

Thread: Bench Grinder
26/02/2019 13:39:46
Posted by Ron Laden on 24/02/2019 15:47:56:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, having spent quite some time looking at no end of grinders I have gone with the Axminster Tools Craft one pictured below.

£65 including delivery which suited my pocket, 150mm, 250 watt, if the picture is anything to go by it looks well made, so hopefully it will be and give good long service.

Thanks again.

Ron

105242_xl.jpg

These are the same grinders that Arc sell. Be aware that the plastic light shade assemblies on top of the guards are extremely flimsy. Mine are on the list of things to re-manufacture out of aluminium after they both broke in the first week.

I got the 8" one, mostly for sharpening TIG tungstens.

Thread: Workshop - indoors or outdoors
25/02/2019 20:36:00

Both!

Wood work and dry stock storage in the cellar. Metal work in the shed.

24/02/2019 01:21:44
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 22/02/2019 16:48:07:

Once must be careful when starting a post with ' I Finally completed my XYZ thingy...'.!

Some post back I showed my 'finally' completed stepperised rotary table/Hobber and the electronic controller I made for it.

The controller did angle steps, division steps , continuous rotation and a hobbing mode. And that was done...

<SNIP>

Joe

What controller are you using Joseph? I'm sure you have mentioned that in the past, but I can't remember which family it was!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest