By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Problems with "The Home Shop Machinist" website?
19/10/2019 19:40:20

It looks as if they've done a forum software upgrade, but have not yet loaded all the 'styles' for different looks and feels. Upgrading he software for a forum and its database is a fun thing to do (for very small values of fun). DAMHIKT!

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
17/10/2019 22:15:20

The lecture theatre position and construction is definitely 'sub optimal'. Luckily, Noel Shelley has got a good carrying voice, so I really enjoyed his home foundry talk and a long natter afterwards. Chester's presence is very minimal, so I'm not sure what deals they might have. I was there from 10:00 until 16:00 and, whilst it was very crowded from 12:00 until 14:00, it was very easy to get around afterwards. Most of the usual purveyors of tat had most of the same tat, The likes of JB tooling and Blackgates had the usual selection of hidden gems smiley. M-dro/Allendale had their chap that knows about the product there, so one could ask about what one needed or order stuff that they've forgotten to put on the web site.

The club stands were slightly more prominent than the trade stands, possibly due to the ever shrinking number of traders, but there were plenty of things to look at.

I spent more than I expected, learned more and enjoyed this one more than any since the Donnington days. It's not in the same league as Harrogate/Doncaster (neither is Doncaster!) but It was a good day out for me.

Edited By Mark Rand on 17/10/2019 22:17:01

Thread: Tapping drill size
17/10/2019 21:47:01
Posted by HOWARDT on 17/10/2019 14:34:13:

6.8 mm. Allways use diameter minus pitch. If drill cuts big you have room to manoeuvre, if it’s over tight you can open up. Smaller sizes often give trouble when being clever and drilling bigger to avoid tap breakage. I have a few heli- coil sets for just that reason.

Umm, no. That will give a 50% thread depth (actually 47% for a 60° thread), but one might not want that amount of engagement. It'd make a bloody poor BSP or NPT thread seal...

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
16/10/2019 22:17:30
Posted by John Haine on 16/10/2019 19:47:09:

My local contact advises approach up or down the Fosse Way as the A425 to the west is closed!

Is that because the nice folks in Radford Semele have got fed up with those weird model engineering chaps coming past every year?

I'm going tomorrow because SWMBO has got the car on Friday and Saturday.

Edited By Mark Rand on 16/10/2019 22:19:51

Thread: DRO magnetic encoders - generic?
16/10/2019 22:10:04

Machine-dro sell several different display heads that will work with 5µm TTL quadrature heads (as well as the heads, new tape and mounting profiles). Have a look at what they've got. I'm using a Shumatec DRO-550 display head with M-dro 1µm heads, but the Shumatec heads are no-longer available.

If you are at the Midlands ME show, have a chat to them (Allandale)

Thread: Tracy Tools Free replacement die.
10/10/2019 22:05:00

They used to be a major 'tourist attraction' when in Dartmouth for me, when going back to see mum and dad in Ashburton smiley

Thread: At last - no more chattering when parting off!
07/10/2019 20:34:02

Just being picky here, but it seemed to me that there was still quite a lot of chatter in the 'tool'. It might have needed a more sturdy 'tool holder'.

Thread: Pulley material
02/10/2019 23:42:21

Aluminium is often used for V belt pulleys. It does wear more rapidly than cast iron but can still give many years of use. In this case it's a low load application, so you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
30/09/2019 21:55:16

A couple of days ago, I decided that I needed to drill an 11mm hole. I sorted through all of my loose drills and couldn't find an 11mm one. In the end I used a 7/16" drill, which is close-ish (turns out I didn't need the 11mm hole anyway!). Today, I went into the shed, to find the loose drills all over the bench still. So I sorted the Morse taper ones into size order and selected the best ones where there were duplicates. Then I got hold of a bit of 2" square x 1/8" wall extrusion that had been part of a test rig for a job at work and drilled/reamed some holes in it on the mill:-

That's the 2MT drills. Tomorrow I'll do another row in front for the 1MT ones.

Turns out that with nine more drills, I'll have from 9/64" to 29/32" in 1/64ths in Morse taper drills, most of which were inherited from dad. They'll get used more now that they're sorted.

The metric collection is nowhere near as complete...

Thread: Old Hardimond Rotary Table
30/09/2019 21:42:03

On behalf of the community:- You suck! laugh

Thread: Issue 286 Spot drills
30/09/2019 21:33:43

Partly to provide a lubrication reservoir, but almost all because it's impossible to grind a drill with a pointed end, even a spotting drill has a very small flat on the end.

Of course, one could dub the end of the centre so it wouldn't bottom on a non-pointer hole.

The big advantage gained with spotting drills is that if the face is not completely normal to the drill or has any irregularity, a jobber or longer drill can walk around before cutting and then tart off centre. The spotting drill ensures that it won't do that.

Edited By Mark Rand on 30/09/2019 21:37:58

Thread: Aero Fuel
29/09/2019 21:20:38
Posted by Samsaranda on 29/09/2019 19:13:19:

With turboprop engined aircraft they carried tanks of water mixed with methanol (in stainless tanks not aluminium) to be used when taking off from airfields that were high up and hot where the air was less dense, the water/methanol mix cooled the incoming charge making it more dense meaning it was more productive when combusted with fuel=more power.

Dave W

It would appear that, in one test, Flying Officer Whittle and his colleagues, tested a gas turbine at the BTH Mill Road works, in Rugby with ammonia being used as a combined charge cooler and fuel. The Turbine ran away and did not survive the experience.

I can't remember where I read that, but I can believe it.

Thread: All things Beaver Mill
28/09/2019 10:41:59

Just a guess, but I'd say it's a replacement with a small, caught, measuring oops.

There are times when I wish my Mk1 was a Mk2, because of the things they put right in the newer designs. But it'll still out live me and is more accurate than I am. smiley

Thread: How many Hammers
24/09/2019 20:01:47

A couple of duplicates have gone since that photo, but about five more are not included Not counting he three sledges. They are tools and, like chisels, there are different sorts.

Thread: What the he**
24/09/2019 19:57:06

Most valve springs are pairs. I think the reasoning is that it cuts down resonances due to having two different springs and the slight friction between them.

23/09/2019 20:52:10

I can't help feeling that speed humps have a lot of the blame for coil spring failures on cars.

22/09/2019 01:05:48

Spent a couple more hours stripping ex-server hard disk drives into their component parts. Quite a lot of it goes to the tip as ferrous metals, recyclable electronics and landfill. The remainder is getting kept as potential aluminium stock. There are three tote bins full now and the collection of disks will mostly fill one more. Then I can get the furnace going and turn them into ingots for future use. Got a couple of bin bags of swarf and some castings that can have the same treatment. I'm telling SWMBO that it's all part of tidying the shed up. devil

Thread: Internal Fire Museum of Power
21/09/2019 21:51:23

They're running the Willans Central valve steam engine at high speed in mid October. Still trying to work out if I can justify the 500 mile round trip to see the engine that was made in our works and went from there to the museum in 2017.

Edited By Mark Rand on 21/09/2019 21:58:25

Thread: Dumb question from a none driver
20/09/2019 20:57:38

Got 'stopped' by the police when I was pushing a (new to me) moped up the hill on the way to work because its exhaust was so oiled up that it couldn't propel itself and me up the slope. I was asked "how long have had this?" to which I answered, correctly, "one day". Got a long lecture on road safety, which pissed me off a little bit, having been a motorcycle and car driver for 35 years at the time...

Edited By Mark Rand on 20/09/2019 20:58:20

18/09/2019 14:29:48
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 18/09/2019 10:10:31:
Posted by Mick B1 on 18/09/2019 09:38:56:

'Ang on. It's a requirement for a subset of at least some of those, not absolute.

Exactly so, Mick yes

Anyone with Diabetes, but not using Insulin, needs to study this: **LINK**

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/795538/inf188x2-information-for-drivers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf

MichaelG.

There are similarly informative documents available for other conditions.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 18/09/2019 10:12:31

If you are a type 2 and are taking medication that could lead to hypoglycaemia, you are required to inform Swansea and your insurers. Blood glucose testing after significant accidents is standard policy with the ambulance service these days.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest