By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Loctite or Draper? Much difference?
11/04/2021 20:31:34

There are sellers on fleabay who will ship 50ml of loctite 542 to italy for £25. I would have thought there would be local sellers who could match/beat that price.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
04/04/2021 21:19:49
Posted by Pete. on 03/04/2021 20:24:21:

Nearly finished my little press, need to cold black the new ratchet mechanism parts I just machined, and the new handle, just need a few broaches now.

Without the gas bottle by it's side, I'd be looking on the Stuart models website for the castings for that.laugh

Edited By Mark Rand on 04/04/2021 21:20:07

Thread: Magnetic bases - stored on or off?
04/04/2021 21:15:39
Posted by Simon Williams 3 on 04/04/2021 00:02:35:Magnets not made with rare-earth compounds are prone to losing their flux intensity (de-magnetising) if they are left open circuit ("ON" in this application) and without a keeper (Old Mart's bit of steel stanchion). But that goes back to the dark ages, and any magnetic stand made in the last (say) 60 years is not going to be made of materials with such a significant design weakness.

Actually, the situation isn't as good as that. I've got a very good Eclipse magnetic square that's not particularly magnetic at all. The AlNiCo magnet in it has lost most of its strength. It's on the to-do list with a selection of suitably sized NiB magnets and a block of aluminium for a carrier to re-power it. I have a number of other magnetic indicator stands that could probably benefit from the same treatment.

Basically NiB or samarium cobalt magnets will survive anything except being in a fire. Ferrite magnets (the dark grey ones), often used in welding clamps, aren't as strong, but will survive anything but shatter when dropped. AlNiCo can be as strong as the rare earth magnets, but have a low remmnance, and loose much of their strength the second that they are 'open circuited'. There are still quite a few mag bases etc. on the market with the latter magnets inside them.

Edited By Mark Rand on 04/04/2021 21:16:51

Thread: Mist Coolant (Fogbuster)
06/02/2021 10:00:17

Smith and Allan sell one at £125/20litre but that quantity might be more than you want.

Thread: Air Compressor Warning
31/01/2021 21:25:58

On the topic of the incompressibility of water. There was a bang and a rattling noise in our development office one day when I was beavering away. one day. A steam turbine cylinder was undergoing an hydraulic test before assembly and a 1/2" BSP blanking plug blew out of its hole. Went straight through the wall into the office...

Water isn't all that compressible (unlike oil) but steel is sufficiently expandable to store up a bit of energy under the wrong circumstances.

Edited By Mark Rand on 31/01/2021 21:27:37

Thread: Venturi calibration
31/01/2021 21:19:48

Beg, buy, borrow or steal a look at BS1042.

It'll tell you what you need to know.

Thread: So Much For CE Labels!
28/01/2021 19:37:51

My thought had been that, if the product was for the GB+Ulster market, as stated, and if there was an applicable British Standard, then paying for the inspection and license fee for the BSI Kitemark was a valid method.

Thread: Paint, what types available, most durable
27/01/2021 22:14:24

As Nicholas says, the 2-pack automotive paints are very robust and give good results when sprayed.

Whether you go for conventional enamel/alkyd resin or a 2-pack, it's a good idea to be careful about the use of high build primers. They can give a very flat finish with sanding, but the reason they are easy to sand is that they have a lot of talc filler and not much resin, so they chip easily. It doesn't matter how good the colour coat is, if the primer is thick and soft, the paint will chip.

The other thing is, whichever system you go for, it really can be a good idea to leave it alone for a month before putting the saw into use. Both 2-packs and alkyd resins do take a while to gain their ultimate hardness. Not so much of a problem with a car, but worth the wait for tools.

I discovered both of those after I rebuilt and repainted of my Hardinge HLV....

You should be able to get any RAL or BS standard colour mixed for a reasonable price.

If you are feeling cheap, use hammerite. cheeky

Thread: Smart Meters & temperature/BA thread size relationship
27/01/2021 16:20:06

Not unreasonable after 25 years of service, but if you look on the data plate, you will normally see that it states "class 2", that's what it was manufactured to,

Thread: So Much For CE Labels!
27/01/2021 16:05:57

Assuming the proper standards have been met, apply for and use the BSI Kitemark?

25/01/2021 19:57:23

They are becoming available since mid 2020

25/01/2021 17:22:09

VARs are not charged for in UK retail electrical contracts. End of.

Thread: That very light, brown rust / discolouration
25/01/2021 15:21:43

It can be oxidised oil. If it is, a strongly alkaline cleaner may remove it.

25/01/2021 15:19:33

I have an Ingersoll Rand (No relation laugh) automatic float operated drain system for my compressor. That would really need the drain to be at the bottom of the tank. The other problem with it at the moment, is that it's sitting on a shelf and not yet attached to said compressor!

25/01/2021 15:07:04
Posted by not done it yet on 25/01/2021 13:26:40:

A few points.

It seems some folks bills have gone up considerably after having a smart meter fitted

Some think the bill will go down just by having the SM. Unfortunately not true, the customer has to use the information, to do that (the only way is to reduce usage, for most energy suppliers).

Also, if your usage includes inductive loads (fridges, freezers, etc) the smart meter will record a higher electricity use for those items (more than 20%?) than presently. Not many that know or understand that!

I'm sorry, but that comment is somewhat gonadal.

Rotating kWH meters measure power. Static kWH meters measure power. The accuracy class in use for domestic meters is 2% or better .

And yes, I did spend 7 1/2 years in charge of measuriing electrical power using both types in power station performance tests.

24/01/2021 20:45:36
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 24/01/2021 17:12:46:

The savings are huge - No need to pay staff or a third party to read meters, no need to send out cards, no need to accept customer readings or have people on hand to adjust disputed estimated readings - enormous savings!!

Oh - all of a sudden this is about you?

Not only have I had to wipe down my screen and keyboard, but I inhaled a small but significant amount of Green Jack Baltic Trader ale.

Please warn people before making sensible comments in the future.laugh

24/01/2021 20:23:53

Hydro testing is a perfectly acceptable method of air receiver testing.

Air lines, as in Neil's link, are another thing entirely. Works both ways, I've been in a power station where a gate valve was cracked open in an auxiliary cooling water system that had not been filled. Valve and flange left the 18" pipe when the slug of water from the pumps hit it. That was only two bar, but the water was traveling pretty fast when it hit the valve...

Hydro testing as per boiler code is totally appropriate in a club or home capacity.

My opinion only!

As to the original post. I also suspect that the safety valve and the pressure switch failed, rather than the tank failing. Metallurgical examination would be required to show how it could have failed that way at normal operating pressure even with a 20% loss of wall thickness.

Edited By Mark Rand on 24/01/2021 20:27:57

Thread: Soluble suds disposal
24/01/2021 14:57:13

For such a small quantity, just take it to your local council tip and put it in their motor oil recycling tank. They won't thank you for it, but it works.

For larger quantities, or if you are being good, put it in a black plastic bucket or dustbin, protected from the rain. Fish out any ice that forms in Winter and wait until the summer sun evaporates most of the water, then do as above. A small garden fountain and/or fish tank heater will speed things up a bit.

I've got rid of 30 gallons of the stuff the second way.

Thread: The demise of UK fossil fuel Power Stations
20/01/2021 20:50:25

Unfortunately, after a while, trees stop absorbing CO2. Then it gets released, along with a certain amount of methane.

Process is known as rotting...

Burning them releases the CO2 they absorbed while growing. So does burning antediluvian ferns, but they can't be regrown...

19/01/2021 19:27:00

Eric, you are making the perfect the enemy of the good. The amount of fuel used to transport wood from the US, Canada, Europe and Brazil is tiny in comparoson with the energy content of that wood. That's how transport works.

Secondly, the wood that's used is the trash wood, trimmings, bark, etc. that are a significant by product of the primary wood use.. making trees into sheets, boards, furniture etc. is surprisingly wasteful.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest