By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Rand

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Rand has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Case Hardening
05/12/2019 01:25:10

Blackgates, EKP and a number of others sell case hardening compounds. They are probably all a mixture of ground charcoal, sodium ferrocyanide and barium carbonate. Which is pretty much what Kasenit was. Quicker than pack carburizing and they produce a good case.

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
05/12/2019 00:55:49

I was ranting in the pub last week about drivers that keep their foot on the brake pedal at road junctions and in queues, instead of using their handbrakes, thus blinding the folk behind them with their high level brake lights. Also creeping forward when they lose concentration. I was informed that this was due to the large number of people driving automatics nowadays -no handbrake-

My response is:- if you are stationary, put it in neutral and use the handbrake or, if not so fitted, put it in park! angry

I had to train my son to use the handbrake after his driving instructor taught him to sit at junctions riding the clutch...

Bah Humbug.

PS:- I can understand the advantages of paddle shift gearboxes, almost as natural as a motorcycle. Automatics isolate me from the engine and the road. I don't like that.

Thread: Nuts
04/12/2019 00:11:13

Seems perfectly correct to me. The lock nut is of a smaller thickness and on top of the main nut.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
03/12/2019 21:28:47

Had one of those days™ in the shed today.

Cleaning up a bit of thick walled tube on a job for herself, I had to remove the tailstock on the ML7 and support the bar with the chuck and a fixed steady (First time I've used the ML7 in two years but it's a bit longer than the Hardinge). Having got it all mounted I started it turning and prepared to skim the crud/paint/rust off the tube prior to painting it. It turns out that the tube is bent by about 1/4". Ordered some nice new tube and put her job into 'pending' status.

Decided that I would finally make a start on sharpening quite a number of drills that have wear or chips on the sharp ends. Fitted a new, longer, bit of square bar to the tail end of the Picador sharpening jig so that it can cope with Morse taper drills in the larger sizes. Decided that the jig needed a riser block instead of the previous method of clamping it into a universal vice on the grinder to get it high enough. Found a decent lump of rusty scrap and started milling it flat/square/oblong to make the riser block out of. I'd almost finished cleaning up the third of the six sides when the mill started making an odd banging noise from the head. Since such noises tend to indicate something is falling apart, I stood on the step-stool and looked into the top end to see if I could spot anything. Spindle turned freely by hand, nothing looked out of place, so I slackened off the belt and turned on the motor as the first stage of checking. it was stuttering and looking as if it was dragging/not developing any real torque. Odd! Then I noticed a bit of a burnt smell coming from the switch box on the head, followed by a wisp of smoke. There was a gush of smoke when I unplugged the electric and removed the switch box. The switch was still trailing a bit when I removed it and put it on the bench...

Barrel/cam switches are a lousy way to turn motors on and off. But they've been used for many years. This one was rated at 7.5kW for motor duty, so should have been ok on the 2hp motor of the mill:-

Ordered a replacement and am thinking about building a box with some decent contactors for an upgrade in motor control.

Came in and had a little cry. Tomorrow I'll finish making the scrap iron square with the shaper. laugh

Thread: Last Night's Astro Image
30/11/2019 19:39:18

Not in the same league, but I did wave to our brave astronauts and cosmonauts on the ISS as it went past tonight (about -3.5 mag). Visible even here in the cloudy Midlands suburbs.

Thread: Molasses has etched cast iron?!
28/11/2019 19:11:15

Don't restore the original finish any more. You are looking at a cosmetic effect. Metal removal will turn the cosmetic effect into 'wear' that will need work to correct.

Thread: This weeks offer at Lidl
25/11/2019 19:07:32

It is very annoying, considering that all of the battery packs tend to use the same 18650 lithium cells.

24/11/2019 22:14:04

Darn it, I take longer than that to clean up the mess in the shedsurprise.

Thread: It's Myford Jim, but not as we know it!
24/11/2019 22:11:47

I'm assuming that RDG didn't buy Myford's gear shaper at the auction...

20/11/2019 21:29:46
Posted by Anthony Knights on 20/11/2019 03:50:39:

It's me again. I must be the only one braving the cold workshop. Made a plate to carry the lead screw.

I wasn't braving my cold workshop (which is quite warm, actually). I was on the roof of it replacing some damaged flashing. laugh

Thread: Using the Maplin (Dremel clone) for cutting tool steel
20/11/2019 00:28:34

It's also necessary to run the cutting disks at the maximum speed the Dremmeloid is capable of. If it isn't throwing sparks, it's going too slow.

For a 35mm disk, 30,000 rpm is close to the right speed

Edited By Mark Rand on 20/11/2019 00:31:41

Thread: Rewire of motor
20/11/2019 00:25:43

Unless it is broken, I would not change it. You know where the stop position on the switch is now, a different switch won't make it any safer for you.

Thread: Alternative Lathe that would fit Myford Ind cabinet for a long bed
19/11/2019 14:16:43

I had been under the impression that the industrial stand was only available for the short bed lathes. crying

Did they make a long bed version of it?

Edited By Mark Rand on 19/11/2019 14:18:15

Thread: Interface PCB for the ELS project
13/11/2019 21:43:03

Deleted. crying

Edited By Mark Rand on 13/11/2019 22:07:35

Thread: Record 25 vice handle
13/11/2019 20:10:06

OK, EN16T is about 50% stronger than BMS. If you're heavy handed, it might be needed. laugh

13/11/2019 16:58:20

Bright mild steel...

Thread: Loctite
13/11/2019 16:53:13

I have seen it quoted that Loctite did not apply a shelf life to their products until a large customer in the Aerospace industry required them as part of their quality controls...

Thread: Painting! There one day, gone the next!
10/11/2019 22:53:07

I was originally going to paint my HLV boring grey, like the original colour, but Macona on the PM forum painted his Monarch 10EE a beautiful red colour and that made me think that grey wasn't the only option.

The LNER colours have a soothing look. But there are a number of variants of those over the years.

Edited By Mark Rand on 10/11/2019 22:55:09

Thread: Yahoo Groups: Heads up for members of e-mail groups
10/11/2019 22:39:41

Ah, what happened to the days when everybody used Usenet? It's still there, but web based fora seem to have relegated it to the sidelines.

And yes, Yahoo used to leech a number of Usenet groups without advertising the fact.

Edited By Mark Rand on 10/11/2019 22:40:41

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
10/11/2019 22:36:09

Did a productive job in the shed today! I painted the dining room radiator. Unfortunately, that meant that I couldn't do anything else in the shed for the rest of the day in case I raised some dust. crying

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
LMES
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest