By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chester 836 Milling Machine
28/07/2019 21:31:42

Graham, no need for the apology I wasn’t offended. It was my fault, I should have read your earlier post more thoroughly. I’m very interested in your Airgun projects by the way. I bought a Feinwerkbau 10M gun some years back with the hope that I could double the power output so I could use it for Field Target shooting. After much head scratching and fiddling I made a new regulator body and valve and that did the trick. Lovely Airgun and it shot nicely but the guy behind the trigger could have done better! Good luck with the mill purchase, let us know how you get on.

Thread: Acetone
27/07/2019 21:21:09

I replace the inserts in my Ten Pin Bowling balls as needed and after trimming with a knife they are smoothed off with Acetone. My last bottle is nearly empty so if anyone knows of a good source let me know. I suspect it will be an eBay job.

Thread: Chester 836 Milling Machine
27/07/2019 00:10:34

Dave is right, slipping belts on a machine aimed at hobbyists is not a problem. At least it’s not for me as it’s not something that’s done that often. Changing speeds on my VMC is no bother at all.

Thread: CARBIDE BURRS
25/07/2019 09:57:51

I’ve used these folks before but not tried their burrs though.

**LINK**

Thread: Why do I keep getting logged-off?
24/07/2019 15:43:26
Posted by not done it yet on 24/07/2019 13:31:16:

Gary,

Only 5 times in the last few days? You are a lucky fellow. Probably ten times each day is more like I get!

Yes, same here!

It only ever happens on this site as well.

Thread: Lathe tooling
24/07/2019 11:50:36

Howard, I chamfer with my Tangential Tool by angling it on the far side of the work and putting the lathe in reverse. It works very well.

A very clever home made Tangential Tool I saw some time back was made so that the thickness of the tool made the top edge of the Tool on centre height once in the four way. After sharpening, the tool is placed upside down on a flat surface. The bit is then dropped to the surface and clamped. Very quick and easy way of getting centre height every time. Wish I’d thought of it!

Thread: Tyres for bandsaw
24/07/2019 10:43:18

Have a look here.

**LINK**

If they can’t help I have heard of folks gluing inner tube rubber on the wheels.

Thread: Lathe tooling
22/07/2019 12:58:42

I agree with Howard about the Tangential Tool. I use one for most of my turning as well. Much cheaper to run on small bits of HSS than using inserts.

22/07/2019 10:03:08

I have several insert tools that get mounted in a four way tool post. Two have thin gauge plate epoxied to the bottom of the holder, one has thicker steel bolted to the bottom of the holder. This keeps them permanently on centre height. I also have another bigger tool holder that I carefully skimmed the bottom off until it was on centre height. I only have a 8 x 14 lathe but it can take tool holders up to 14mm so I use 12mm holders with bonded spacers or cut down 16mm holders.

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 13:24:59

I had a well used Omnimill but had to sell it as the removal company wanted too much to shift it to the new house. I’ve now got a Warco VMC which is nice enough. It was over budget at the time but I’m so glad I got a mill with a knee. I think I’d struggle without as all the mills I’ve used have had them. If money had been no object I’d probably have bought something like an Aciera. I was offered a Bridgeport in good condition years ago for not a lot of money but they take up far too much space.

Thread: Cruise meeting crash
20/07/2019 15:56:30
Posted by KWIL on 20/07/2019 14:33:37:

How many of those attending the event had insurance they could rely on? ALL modifications have to be notified to insurers, I would bet many have not declared their vehicles correctly.

Yes quite. I knew a policeman who had his Skoda Diesel chipped to add a couple of dozen BHP and I’m pretty sure he didn’t inform his insurers. Some of these young lads have high enough insurance as it is so I doubt they could afford the “modifications”.

I don’t know how some of these vehicles get through the MOT to be honest.

Thread: Wiggler or edge finder?
19/07/2019 22:24:32

There is also the simple bearing edge finder.

**LINK**

Thread: Black Oxide coating
19/07/2019 13:49:45

I had a tour of the Axminster Tools facility yesterday which was very interesting. In the manufacturing dept the guide explained that they have changed to using stainless steel for some of their products due to the fact that the Black Oxide coating applied to ordinary steels is no longer environmentally viable. At least I think that’s the term he used. Interestingly though I noticed they’re still using black Unbrako socket screws. I wonder how they’re blacked and if the process used will change soon? Well worth a trip there if you get the chance, they have some amazing Japanese CNC machines there and they’re installing an even bigger one soon requiring an extension to the building.

Thread: Cruise meeting crash
19/07/2019 10:44:17

I don’t understand either plasma. There are often mobile speed cameras in my area and you can be done for going a few miles an hour over the limit. On the other hand we have motorcyclists racing up and down a local dual carriageway at over double the national speed limit and the police do nothing. This happens most weekends even in winter unless the weather is very bad.

Thread: Rounded Torx Screw Removal
17/07/2019 09:12:33
Posted by Hollowpoint on 16/07/2019 11:03:43:

I had the same problem with a second hand tool. I just hit the carbide tip with a chisel to break it. The screw then just came out by hand.

Good idea! You win the cigar! laugh

Thread: Plan/Design for spanner roll?
16/07/2019 15:32:14

The “spanner” roll I was given on a government training course was brown cotton twill. It was a plain rectangle, the pockets were flat and there was a flap that covered the top end of the spanner’s. I believe all trades including mechanics, carpenters and plumbers were all given the same tool roll.

Thread: Cheap Tipped Tool Set - Maybe not all bad..?
16/07/2019 13:15:51

In spite of grinding to a useable state I’ve still found them rubbish. I know some folks can get on with them though.

Thread: Best way to cut HSS tool blanks from bar?
16/07/2019 13:12:07

Cutting it that way will be fine Jim. HSS has to get very hot to loose it’s hardness.

Edited By Vic on 16/07/2019 13:12:29

Thread: Rusty tooling restoration
15/07/2019 20:40:39

Battery charger and washing soda works really well and doesn’t etch the surface like acid will.

Thread: Any other business?
15/07/2019 20:10:33

I’ve watched many of the Air Crash Investigation programmes on TV. One accident happened because everyone suffocated. Incredulously there is a switch in the cockpit that effectively turns the air supply off. The switch was set to manual instead of auto during maintenance but the pilots failed to notice it.

The flight crew overlooked the pressurisation system state on three separate occasions”

**LINK**

I found the TV series very interesting. Most of the crashes were due to pilot error, poor design or inadequate servicing as I remember.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest