By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Emergencies / Braking
31/12/2019 23:30:24
Posted by Steven Edwards 1 on 31/12/2019 23:07:01:

The lathe is going into a left hand corner, with enough room to open the doors for gear access.

Are you sure that’s a good idea? Many folks leave lots of room to the left of the machine for passing long stock through the head. In my shop the Lathe is on the right, mill on the left and drill in the middle for example and this has worked out well. Just a thought.

Thread: Burnt hands
29/12/2019 13:39:16

Gloves can be a hot topic - pun intended. I very rarely wear gloves except when I’m handling hot metal, and then only Blacksmith style - one glove. I did a government training course many years ago and gloves were forbidden in most departments but especially those that required the use of rotating equipment. If you watch enough YouTube videos you’ll see that the Americans are completely nuts about wearing gloves even if they’re only using something like a screwdriver. I read a post on a forum some time back with arguments flying backwards and forwards about the dangers of wearing not only gloves but also jewellery like rings and bracelets when wood turning. Apparently many over there have to wear gloves when wood turning because the chips can get a little bit warm ... cheeky

Thread: Alexander master toolmaker
28/12/2019 16:59:24

I’m glad that it sounds like you’ve sorted the problem. The Alexander is a fine machine that is a pleasure to use when working correctly.

Thread: First mill
28/12/2019 16:55:24

What’s your budget and do you have easy access to your shed. Also what type of work do you intend to do on it? The SX3 is not the most rigid mill out there but it’s well regarded and it sounds like it has many of the features you require. Another similar machine is the Warco WM18. Does it need to be a bench top machine or would a modest floor standing machine fit your space?

Thread: Making a miniature leaf spring.
28/12/2019 10:31:03
Posted by Paul Lousick on 28/12/2019 01:44:51:

"Band-it" strapping is a good source of thin spring steel. Also useful for shimming lathe cutters

Paul

Yes agreed, it’s handy stuff. Far too good to throw away with an empty crate!

Thread: Broken Taps
28/12/2019 10:10:38

I bought some stainless plate for a job many years ago and that work hardened very quickly. To finish the job I had to heat it up to red heat and let it cool slowly.

It’s strange about the stainless rod I bought locally. All the stuff I’ve bought from eBay labelled 316 recently has machined beautifully.

27/12/2019 19:00:07

Mystery solved I believe.

The tap I broke the other day was in a small part that had been turned and then a flat milled on it. The turning went ok and the milling presented no problems with the carbide mill I used.
Today I attempted to make a similar part using the same stainless steel bought specially for the job. The turning went ok but this time I needed to use a slightly bigger mill and the only one I had was HSS which started ok and then had the teeth stripped off it.

The material is supposed to be 316 but clearly isn’t. Whilst looking for something the other day I found some more stock of the same size material almost certainly from the same local supplier. I attempted the job again and completed it without any issues at all.

I’ve cleaned up, chamfered and marked the ends of the remaining problem stock with a red marker. I’ve made a mental note to myself to use it only for turning ...

Thread: A Question on Bench Blocks
25/12/2019 19:19:09
Posted by Bandersnatch on 25/12/2019 15:23:02:
Posted by Vic on 25/12/2019 14:09:37:

My Starrett 129 is hollow like this one. **LINK**

Is it a casting? Alternatively is the hollow base useful to the user (there doesn't seem to be any precision to it but that might not exclude this)?

The answer to one of those ought to be 'yes' otherwise I don't see the advantage and it increases the manufacturing cost.

Yes, it does look like a casting judging by the rough surface inside.

25/12/2019 14:09:37
Posted by Tim Stevens on 25/12/2019 12:39:54:

If the back (non-V) side was as flat and hard as the front, it would be easy to flip the block if the smaller holes were needed without the groove getting in the way. Just in case you are thinking of going round again, Ketan.

And a jolly yule with plenty of wassail - Tim

My Starrett 129 is hollow like this one. **LINK**

24/12/2019 17:20:07
Posted by Plasma on 24/12/2019 13:56:33:

I have an original Starett bench block in unused condition. Both holes in the vee are exactly central, no offset at all.

I would guess the drawing is wrong as I cant see any reason for having a hole offset as shown.

I will post an image if necessary

Mick

Yes I have one as well and the holes are central to the V.

Thread: Mini Lathe Upgrade
24/12/2019 13:52:56

I have an 8 1/2” x 14” lathe and don’t have too much trouble parting since switching to the HSS T shape blades. Kept sharp they work very well. Like others I don’t find my lathe is particularly rigid and as a result I’ve stuck with a four way toolpost. I bought the T blades from Chronos. **LINK** So far I’ve used them on stainless steel, mild steel, brass, aluminium alloy, plastic and even wood. I screwed a spacer on the bottom of the tool holder so it’s permanently on centre height.

Thread: fitting new heating thermostat
23/12/2019 13:51:02

A wired Thermostat, how quaint! Only joking, we only switched over to wireless earlier this year when we had a new boiler fitted.

Thread: Hi from sunny Spain.
23/12/2019 12:20:29

Welcome Derek, I will if I may just second what Brian has just said!

Thread: DTI recommendations required
22/12/2019 19:23:57

I read something about them on Long Island Indicator some years ago. The best are Swiss made apparently, but German DTI’s come a close second. **LINK** Surprisingly they don’t seem to think that much of Japanese and American DTI’s. These look to be a pretty good price. **LINK**

Thread: Broken Taps
22/12/2019 19:03:20

That’s who I’ve ordered some from Howard. wink

22/12/2019 16:23:42
Posted by Ed Duffner on 22/12/2019 15:00:17:

According to the second chart on this page a 2.2mm drill would give 50% thread and appears to be ok for steel, stainless and iron.

Perhaps a change to a spiral flute or spiral point tap could help? depending if these are 'through' or 'blind' holes.

Ed.

They’re through holes but I’ve ordered both spiral flute and spiral point to try.

22/12/2019 13:47:26

I do all my tapping of square stuff on the mill. It’s drilled then tapped without moving the table and I always use a tap follower and tapping compound. The drill hole for the tap I broke the other day went straight through without any excessive force. I’m hoping new tools and going up a drill size will sort the problem. If not I guess I’ll change material supplier.

22/12/2019 12:19:20

Many years ago I broke an M4 tap in some ground flat stock. Until a couple of days ago that was the only tap I’d ever broken. I have in the past needed to put an M2.5 thread in steel and stainless steel and not had too much of a problem. I took things slowly and used a tap follower in the mill chuck. I always use tapping compound. I’ve done this operation maybe a dozen times in the past year. I did a while back switch from a 2.05 drill to a 2.1 to make things a bit easier. In the past two days I’ve snapped two taps and to add insult to injury I dropped my one remaining tap on the floor never to be found. I also noticed that one of my tapping drill bits was struggling a bit to get through the stainless rod. I’ve snapped taps in both 6mm and 8mm stainless rod from the same supplier. I’ve manage to tap the 6mm stock before without trouble.

I was thinking about another supplier for 316 stainless rod just in case it’s the material. After the episode with the drill bit yesterday though I’m wondering if my tooling is just worn? I’ve now ordered some more taps and also some 2.2mm drill bits.

I’m wondering if I need special taps for stainless or whether I should just replace my taps regularly. Any thoughts anyone?

Thread: Advice on mobile phone etc
20/12/2019 13:36:00

I’ve got an old iPhone and download speed on it is fine. My old iPad when last used was ok as well. I suggest you need to look elsewhere for the problem as I doubt it’s the i devices.

Thread: MR16 LED Spot lights
18/12/2019 22:10:26

The downlighting in our kitchen have lock rings to prevent the bulbs falling out.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest