By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why do I keep getting logged-off?
10/01/2020 18:30:45
Posted by old mart on 10/01/2020 18:00:26:

I have noticed that the little box with "stay logged in" or something like that, occurs at random. I try to stay logged in by minimising the active page and opening a new page, it works most of the time. When I have finished with the computer, it gets fully closed down and the power switched off, so I am used to logging on to all forums and the like.

Yes, I’ve noticed that little box is not there about 10% of the time.

Is it true that Alan Turing wrote the software for this site? Sorry, I’ll get my coat ... laugh

Thread: Swisstec machines from Pro Machine Tools
09/01/2020 10:50:55

An old workmate bought a DB8 Terry, it’s a nice machine.

08/01/2020 12:53:02

There was a thread some back about machines that were supposedly made in Germany. I can’t remember the details but I think it turned out they were made in China and “quality” checked in Germany? There have been some complaints on the net about the quality of some of these machines though so I wonder if they’re any better than those offered elsewhere? One brand name I think was Optimum with a snazzy purple paint job. Have you tried looking for reviews of any specific machines?

Thread: Choice between cheap mini milling machines.
05/01/2020 10:27:45

Choosing a mill is a matter of perspective. I know a few folks on a model ship building forum that absolutely love the little Proxxon Micro Mill MF70. They use them for milling tiny wooden and plastic parts and larger machines can’t match the Proxxons 20,000 rpm high speed. Easily moved from room to room and can be kept in a cupboard when not in use. Absolutely no use to me but in the right hands it’s perfect.

Thread: DCGT polished inserts
04/01/2020 12:17:13

Have any of you bought these from the auction site? They are very much cheaper than anywhere else so I’m wondering If they are any good.

Thread: TiN coated twist drills
03/01/2020 22:50:25
Posted by AJAX on 03/01/2020 20:17:05:
Posted by Steviegtr on 03/01/2020 18:51:13:

Mmn I have a few LED floods fitted. One at back of garage just gone duff at 18 months old. Not expensive though.

The same has happened to me, but I replaced the "non-replaceable" 10 W LED chip (cost about 50p) and it worked like a new one. Still going strong a couple of years later.

This is interesting as I want to put up a security light and was wondering about replacement “lamps”. Do you have a link for the chip?

Thread: Choice between cheap mini milling machines.
03/01/2020 22:42:34

Are there any particular models of machine you’ve been looking at?

Thread: First mill
03/01/2020 11:53:20
Posted by Gazz on 31/12/2019 14:42:57:

The more i think about it, the more i'm leaning towards the heavier gear head mills like the chester lux,

i believe these are RF45 clones, and amadeal do one, possibly warco,

But are there other ones to consider available in the UK for about the £1500 price mark?

The 626 type mills start about that price. The more expensive versions are variable speed. They have forward and reverse and my Warco VMC is a modest 1.7m tall. They are easily split into three parts - head, column and base if needed for transit/installation.

03/01/2020 11:31:36
Posted by old mart on 31/12/2019 15:01:20:

The only feature of a mill for home shop use which I would find essential is the R8 spindle taper.

My first mill was an Elliott Omnimill which had an MT3 quill. I didn’t have any issues at all using it. An Omnimill in good condition is arguably better than any hobby mills on offer in terms of capability and quality. Turning one down if offered at the right price just because it isn’t R8 would quite frankly be rather daft. My current Warco VMC is also MT3 and works fine. I could say a knee mill is essential but realise some folks prefer bench mills.

ER collet chucks are very useful and makes quill choice much less important. In my opinion the best size if you only want to buy one is the ER32 as there are more fittings that take this size than say ER40 or ER25. One very useful example is a spin indexer and when I bought mine was only available in ER32.

Thread: Airline Fittings?
02/01/2020 12:33:52

Interesting point about BSP. I wonder if countries in the European Union will be using them after Brexit? laugh

That was a joke by the way.

@#§¥%€ predictive text. I typed Solely in the above post and the puter has changed it to sorely for some reason.

Edited By Vic on 02/01/2020 12:37:22

Thread: Emergencies / Braking
02/01/2020 11:29:30

My little 8 1/2” x 14” lathe only has a through bore of 20mm but I quite regularly pass long stock up to this size through the headstock for machining. Chopping stuff up with a parting blade on the lathe is a lot less tiresome than sawing it to length. Being able to work on the end of a long bar can also be less wasteful than sawing up lengths to fit. I personally would always want at least two or three feet of open space to the left of the head.

Thread: Airline Fittings?
02/01/2020 11:15:23
Posted by old mart on 01/01/2020 18:25:19:

Grit from the op's blaster probably got into his fitting and ruined it.

That is a possibility. The compressor is sorely for use with my sand blaster so the couplings never get disturbed (until the other day!) but it could still have got grit in it. I think it would be a good idea for me to find a way of sealing the coupling in case I want to plug a blow gun in again. All my stuff has PCL fittings as that was what garages used when I was a mechanic. Another quick look at my local supplier - MachineMart, shows they only sell PCL style fittings so that’s fine. I will buy a spare connector just in case. They do have a few XF high flow fittings but I don’t need those and they are more expensive anyway.

01/01/2020 17:43:47

I’ve had a quick look at MachineMart where I most likely bought them and they are PCL fittings.

01/01/2020 17:10:49

The old and new female couplings are identical. The old one seems to have a stuck sleeve which doesn’t pop out when the male fitting is inserted.

01/01/2020 14:46:28

Do they require any form of lubrication or best kept dry? I ask because I unplugged my sand blaster from the compressor and I couldn’t plug anything else into the coupling. Luckily I had a spare coupling to swap over which works fine. Just wondering if I should take the old one apart if possible and lubricate it?

Thread: Emergencies / Braking
31/12/2019 23:30:24
Posted by Steven Edwards 1 on 31/12/2019 23:07:01:

The lathe is going into a left hand corner, with enough room to open the doors for gear access.

Are you sure that’s a good idea? Many folks leave lots of room to the left of the machine for passing long stock through the head. In my shop the Lathe is on the right, mill on the left and drill in the middle for example and this has worked out well. Just a thought.

Thread: Burnt hands
29/12/2019 13:39:16

Gloves can be a hot topic - pun intended. I very rarely wear gloves except when I’m handling hot metal, and then only Blacksmith style - one glove. I did a government training course many years ago and gloves were forbidden in most departments but especially those that required the use of rotating equipment. If you watch enough YouTube videos you’ll see that the Americans are completely nuts about wearing gloves even if they’re only using something like a screwdriver. I read a post on a forum some time back with arguments flying backwards and forwards about the dangers of wearing not only gloves but also jewellery like rings and bracelets when wood turning. Apparently many over there have to wear gloves when wood turning because the chips can get a little bit warm ... cheeky

Thread: Alexander master toolmaker
28/12/2019 16:59:24

I’m glad that it sounds like you’ve sorted the problem. The Alexander is a fine machine that is a pleasure to use when working correctly.

Thread: First mill
28/12/2019 16:55:24

What’s your budget and do you have easy access to your shed. Also what type of work do you intend to do on it? The SX3 is not the most rigid mill out there but it’s well regarded and it sounds like it has many of the features you require. Another similar machine is the Warco WM18. Does it need to be a bench top machine or would a modest floor standing machine fit your space?

Thread: Making a miniature leaf spring.
28/12/2019 10:31:03
Posted by Paul Lousick on 28/12/2019 01:44:51:

"Band-it" strapping is a good source of thin spring steel. Also useful for shimming lathe cutters

Paul

Yes agreed, it’s handy stuff. Far too good to throw away with an empty crate!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest