By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Garryflex Blocks
31/07/2019 09:38:01

It’s a bit odd but Proops list grades not normally offered by Garryson. I may have to get some of those in spite of the price to see what they’re like.

30/07/2019 21:23:35

Anyone seen these at a good price? I saw them at a place recently and they were about £6.50 each which is about double what I paid last time. I use them all the time but mine are getting smaller and more tatty looking by the week.

Thread: VMC Tramming
30/07/2019 21:20:47

I don’t particularly like the term tramming but most folks seem to know it so we'll go with that. I was fly cutting a job on my mill today and noticed it was cutting deeper in one direction more than the other so I knew the head needed a slight adjustment. I use a bar I made about 30cm long with a dial gauge on it and I really struggled at first to get it even close. So I’m wondering what part of the mill VMC owners tap with a hide hammer or similar to get such tiny adjustments? I got there in the end and accepted 0.03mm over 60cm which should be good enough. I find the mill needs adjusting every now and then, anyone else find that it moves on their VMC? Maybe I’m putting on too much of a cut sometimes?

I’m sure my 4” vice is heavier than when I bought it as well ... laugh

Thread: The Current War (Film)
30/07/2019 12:43:06

From what little I’ve read about Edison he wasn’t a very nice person. Do you need to be nasty to be a successful, I don’t know. I have to say I’ve worked for some nice folks in the past and they ran successful businesses at the time.

Thread: Chester 836 Milling Machine
29/07/2019 22:25:58

Yes sorry as well. Last on the topic. This is the one I saw some time back.

**LINK**

Thread: Blast
29/07/2019 18:18:42

I keep buying stuff in the hope of it coming in handy at some point and then forget I’ve bought it. Buying twice is a false economy ... laugh

29/07/2019 18:02:42

This all goes back several years Graham so I may not recall correctly. As far as I’m aware the FWB P700 ran with the reg pressure at about 60 bar which I think was the same as the Anschütz I had at the time. It dumps the whole reg volume on firing (as far as I know) As standard the reg volume is very small so I aimed (pun intended) to increase this as a starting point to 1cc. When I refitted the original reg body and valve I found another one in my box of bits so I obviously had two attempts at it! It’s interesting that the Anschütz I had (not modified by me) had a couple of holes drilled into the action adjacent to the reg to perform a similar function. Rather than pay double the price for a modified weapon folks at my old club started to import them direct from Germany and (carefully) drill their own holes! I’m not sure if any of this is that critical as there seems to be plenty of adjustment of the trigger/hammer. The main thing of course is to be able to get it to around or rather just under 12 FPE and get at least a couple of hundred shots out of the cylinder. I haven’t shot FT since I moved house about six years ago. People use all kinds of air rifles in FT so as long as it’s within the rules, no problem. I think someone in America managed to make a single shot pneumatic but it is/was difficult to cock? There are or were several designs out there which required a double compression of the air space. Hammerli used to make one years ago but it was only 6FPE. One of my favourite rifles which I sadly never got round to actually buying was the FWB 600 series. I’m not sure any of the 10M guns have barrels that really suit FT but some of the top shots get remarkable scores with them so maybe I’m wrong! The biggest problem with my FWB was that the barrel was a bit tight and heavily imprinted the pellets which I felt had an adverse effect in windy conditions. I tried smaller pellets but it effected the grouping.

Thread: Boring Head
29/07/2019 17:34:17

Thanks for all your thoughts. I’ll perhaps get something bigger as suggested when funds allow.

As an aside I changed the material for the part and this also allowed a redesign. I managed to complete the job using a 13mm “Bullet” drill I had and the finish was very good.

29/07/2019 11:25:46

How big do you think I need to go? Some of the other heads take 8mm or 10mm shanks. Are both of those sizes freely available if I need new cutters?

Thread: Blast
29/07/2019 11:23:40

I was flattening the end for a ceramic lamp holder on the belt sander the other day and failed to either tighten or remove the screws to prevent them getting lost. One fell out and I couldn’t find it anywhere. No problem, bound to have an M2.5 x 5 somewhere. I spent about 30 minutes trying to find one so gave up and ordered some online. A day later going through my fasteners for another job a found a packet of you guessed it, some M2.5 x 5 screws. To add insult to injury I found the original “lost” screw sitting on my bench about an hour later. Some days you just can’t win.

29/07/2019 11:17:20

The hole was only 14mm deep NDIY but I don’t have a 13mm end mill either! I’m just thinking getting a boring head will save me buying new bits all the time. Sometimes it’s not the money but wanting to get on with the job rather than waiting for the postman! smiley

29/07/2019 10:52:54

Thanks John. I picked that one because it has a boring range of 7mm - 52mm. I can’t see me ever needing to bore a hole bigger than that. The 50mm boring head has a good range but only goes down to 10mm which may be less useful to me. Buying mail order I’m not sure how to pick a good one so any particular recommendations would be appreciated.

Edited By Vic on 29/07/2019 10:53:17

Thread: Cleaning a straightedge
29/07/2019 10:46:46

The most gentle abrasive I’ve used is Malamine Foam, sold in supermarkets as magic sponges. Non woven pads without added abrasive are white if buying in a DIY outlet or blue if buying in the supermarket ... smiley

29/07/2019 10:31:27

I needed to make a 13mm hole with a decent finish in an alloy part the other day and failed. I crept up on the final diameter and the finish I was getting using stub drills on my VMC was great but the only 13mm bit I had was a jobber and although sharp it didn’t play ball. I don’t have a reamer that size either. One tool I’ve put off buying not least because of the cost is a Boring Head but I’m wondering if I could have done this particular job using one? I don’t think it’s something I’d use very often but being able to produce holes of virtually any size sounds attractive. I’m wondering if something like this

**LINK**

would have done the job. Do any of you have this particular head or are there any others I should look at? I’ve never used one before so any insights into their use would be much appreciated.

29/07/2019 09:44:39

Hi Graham, the new reg body was made to increase the air volume. The valve had to be made longer as a consequence. Reg pressure was as close to original as I could get it. I managed to get over 12 FPE from the rifle but used to run it at about 11.8 to stay within the law and remain competitive. The rifle isn’t used these days so I put the old reg back to be on the safe side.

28/07/2019 21:31:42

Graham, no need for the apology I wasn’t offended. It was my fault, I should have read your earlier post more thoroughly. I’m very interested in your Airgun projects by the way. I bought a Feinwerkbau 10M gun some years back with the hope that I could double the power output so I could use it for Field Target shooting. After much head scratching and fiddling I made a new regulator body and valve and that did the trick. Lovely Airgun and it shot nicely but the guy behind the trigger could have done better! Good luck with the mill purchase, let us know how you get on.

Thread: Acetone
27/07/2019 21:21:09

I replace the inserts in my Ten Pin Bowling balls as needed and after trimming with a knife they are smoothed off with Acetone. My last bottle is nearly empty so if anyone knows of a good source let me know. I suspect it will be an eBay job.

27/07/2019 00:10:34

Dave is right, slipping belts on a machine aimed at hobbyists is not a problem. At least it’s not for me as it’s not something that’s done that often. Changing speeds on my VMC is no bother at all.

Thread: CARBIDE BURRS
25/07/2019 09:57:51

I’ve used these folks before but not tried their burrs though.

**LINK**

Thread: Why do I keep getting logged-off?
24/07/2019 15:43:26
Posted by not done it yet on 24/07/2019 13:31:16:

Gary,

Only 5 times in the last few days? You are a lucky fellow. Probably ten times each day is more like I get!

Yes, same here!

It only ever happens on this site as well.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest