By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tool post height
12/07/2021 11:07:52
Posted by Howard Lewis on 12/07/2021 08:08:36:

Making a Tangential Turning Tool is simple. Three milling operations (Possibly a fourth ) and one drilled hole, once the material is cut to length.

I have them in 1/8, 1/4, and 5/16.

A friend made his in both RH and LH forms.

The sharpening jig is simple and the toolbit is adjusted to to bring the cutting edge to centre height.

There have been two articles on making such a tool in M E W

Easy to make, sharpen, and effective in operation, whats not tom like?

Howard.

Edited By Howard Lewis on 12/07/2021 08:09:24

And cheap to “run” using small pieces of HSS. wink

Thread: carbide insert tooling
11/07/2021 20:49:00

I’m not sure if they still make it but I bought a double sided tool holder from JB Tools at one of the shows. I’ve only used it for left hand cutting but you can flip it over and refit the insert for right hand.

11/07/2021 20:12:48

As said, Tangential tool holders aren’t difficult to make. I used 12° on both angles and it works fine.

11/07/2021 20:06:54
Posted by brian jones 11 on 11/07/2021 18:29:57:

this was the link from another member

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Lathe-Turning-Tools-Indexable/ARC-Indexable-Turning-Tools/SLTBN-Part-Off-Blade-Tool-Blocks-with-Part-Off-Blade

this was the bewildering link from apt

https://www.shop-apt.co.uk/lathe-turning-tools-apt.html

no way to select shank size all seemed to be 20mm+

i dont know how to get to your page

You select the type of tool you want then the size options are available.

11/07/2021 17:50:14
Posted by brian jones 11 on 11/07/2021 14:17:24:

Well thnx 10^6 JB that is most informative with proper explanation that I can work with and learn from

I will certainly follow through

and not go rushing down the 12mm holder route just yet

Its clear that going carbide is something of a black art - hss is so much simpler by comparison

As a matter of interest have disposable hss tips every been marketed or is that a silly idea?

Have you thought of trying a Tangential tool, bought or home made? Quite a few folks on here like them including myself. Easy to sharpen and built in height adjustment.

Tangential Tool

11/07/2021 17:34:15
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 11/07/2021 17:15:28:

Suggest trying shop-APT.co.uk. A Glasgow firm with a variety of carbide tooling and a very helpful website. No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Peter G. Shaw

I’ve used them in the past. Prices aren’t bad but still not as low as the auction site. I bought my last lot of inserts from Amazon though, 2/3 the price and free next day delivery. I’ve also just ordered some less than half price SECO inserts from the auction site.

Thread: Garmin sat nav
11/07/2021 11:30:39

The battery on my Garmin isn’t very good either. I bought one of their chargers to use indoors from time to time.

I would have liked it in my car but it was an additional £600. I’ve got a fairly decent iPhone though so I can use that if needed.

11/07/2021 10:27:30
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 11/07/2021 07:39:47:
Posted by Vic on 10/07/2021 23:08:45:

The OP was clearly about insert tooling as per the picture so I don’t know why it’s changed to HSS? thinking

Does it matter ?

… The thread is about Tool post height

MichaelG.

No, but is was originally about insert tooling.

10/07/2021 23:08:45

The OP was clearly about insert tooling as per the picture so I don’t know why it’s changed to HSS? thinking

Thread: GigaFactory
10/07/2021 22:00:26

Humans have poor memories. The arguments made against modern and future technologies are very similar to those made against the very ones we use today. Many people don’t like change and make illogical arguments about things they don’t fully understand. Some of them are even second guessing technologies yet to be developed. We really don’t know how this is all going to play out but the decision has been made to get rid of out dated technology that had a limited timescale anyway. Whether EV’s remain long term or are replaced with something else shouldn’t be of any great concern to anyone on here as they won’t be around anyway. There are many myths about EV’s already and making up more just because some folks have no imagination to tackle the problems isn’t fooling anyone. And it’s certainly not fooling those in power - at the moment.

10/07/2021 14:29:28

There seems to be lots of research into energy storage so I wonder if the ultimate goal is to go almost fully renewable at some point? I did read an article some time ago that suggested we could as a species go virtually fully solar if suitably interconnected. They even suggested the acreage of panels required and it wasn’t as large as you might expect.

Thread: Harrison M300 siting
10/07/2021 11:28:23
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 10/07/2021 11:13:38:

I'd want the option of having a long bar poking out of the rear of the headstock.

Rod

It depends what you mean by “long”. I’ve had a couple of feet of material sticking out the back of my hobby lathe without issue. Some thinner stuff has needed extra support though. Speed of course is another issue.

09/07/2021 19:04:48

I found at the model engineering shows all the bigger stuff was cheaper. I suppose because many model engineers have modest size machines. I’ve paid as little as six or seven pounds for a tool holder. Having machined a Sandvik tool holder for a friend I was confident of being able to machine them when needed.

Thread: Insert Tip radius?
09/07/2021 16:24:47

Thanks for your thoughts folks, most helpful.

09/07/2021 11:23:46

I’m just wondering what tip radius most of you find the most useful for carbide inserts? I’ve just bought some .4’s so I can get a reasonably tight shoulder and the finish was good. I’m just wondering if I should get some .8 as well? If I need a really tight shoulder I use HSS in a tangential tool but I like using inserts for aluminium alloy.

09/07/2021 10:22:46
Posted by Martin Kyte on 09/07/2021 08:04:07:

Does all this beg the question, why use bigger tooling than that which will fit?

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 09/07/2021 08:04:19

The smallest tool holder for some inserts is 16mm so no choice. The TNMG is a case in point. I’ve just got some polished inserts for aluminium at a very good price and they work really well. The tool holders are cheap on the auction site.

08/07/2021 23:17:07

I think my little 8 1/2” x 14” is meant to take 10 or maybe 12mm tooling? I bought a 16mm TNMG holder and trimmed a couple of mm off the bottom and it works well. The holder is quite tough but it wasn’t too much trouble to trim it down with a carbide mill.

08/07/2021 20:55:11
Posted by John Baron on 08/07/2021 15:17:34:

Its nothing to do with how much you tighten a QCTP ! The problem is with the amount of overhang some have. The tool needs to be within the footprint of the cross slide for maximum rigidity.

I agree. It’s also not difficult to understand if you compare some of them. I guess if you’ve spent hundreds of pounds on tool holders you’re less likely to find fault though.

Height adjustment is often mentioned as some kind of insurmountable advantage. I use a Tangential tool which has built in height adjustment. I also use insert tooling with tool holders that have been machined to the correct height for my four way or I’ve permanently bonded shims to the bottom.
It seems nonsensical to have height adjustment when using inserts, perhaps that why it’s not used on CNC machines. Of course, if you use lots of hand ground tooling and are a professional then I can sort of see the argument. As for speed, it only takes me a couple of seconds to change tools in my four way.

Thread: Milling machine in the (wood floored) workshop
06/07/2021 22:36:06

I’ve just checked the specs for my VMC and it’s apparently 415kg and it’s fine in my shed. My lathe sits on a wooden bench and I’m sure weighs something similar to an ML7. The foundations are concrete, then there are 50mm bearers with insulation between and then topped with 19mm boards. I then laid 9mm ply on top that which was painted to give an easy to clean surface.

Thread: TNMG inserts
05/07/2021 22:44:09

I’ve ordered a couple from JB to try.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest