By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars
12/07/2019 12:47:39

I find it quite amusing how defensive Diesel drivers are. I think I’ve heard every possible argument for keeping them. Whilst I expect there may be a glimmer of hope for some petrol engined cars I think folks need to get over the fact that sooner or later you won’t be able to buy a Diesel car. As Diesel cars die of natural death or are forcibly crushed I would expect Diesel fuel prices will go up before perhaps becoming largely unavailable for car drivers. Of course we could all be wrong and perhaps all the £Billions being spent on Electric car development is just some cunning ploy. If Diesel engines are so clean, remind me again why Volkswagen had to break the law in order to sell their cars? So far VW alone have paid out £25 Billion in fines in the US for their stinky cars.

12/07/2019 10:18:07

Does anyone know the service costs on EV’s? Garages obviously can’t charge £40 for five quids worth of oil anymore so where is the rip off going to come from. Some kind of very expensive battery “conditioning” or something similar I suppose. smiley

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
12/07/2019 09:23:00
Posted by Lathejack on 05/07/2019 12:49:48:

I have always had a soft spot for the Far Eastern made 918 and 920 lathes, they have been produced for many years and offered by many suppliers with some examples being quite well made. Early version were made in Taiwan, but I'm not sure if yours at 21 years old is made in Taiwan or China.

The 918 was based on the earlier Austrian made versions of the Emco Compact 8 lathe, in Emco language Compact means basic. So when I was a lad I was always impressed with the 918's addition of a Norton type quick change screwcutting gearbox with 9 feed rates with a row of 9 little cup oilers sat on top.

Plus the 918 also has a longitudinal power feed built into the apron, so you can quickly flick from a fine feed to a thread pitch and back again, and only need to engage the leadscrew thread for screw cutting.

I agree. The only downside with this lathe is the need to slip belts for speed changes, that’s easily overcome these days though by fitting a new 3 phase motor and invertor. With that job done are there any modern lathes of a similar size that can match it?

Thread: Electric Cars
11/07/2019 18:10:01
Posted by KWIL on 11/07/2019 17:25:56:

Diesel cars remain noisy and smelly objects however you dress them up/

Absolutely. And when folks talk of the “virtues” of a few more mpg they conveniently forget the increase in cost of initial purchase, increased tyre wear (and the increased pollution associated with that) and other servicing and spares costs that are higher than comparable petrol cars. Given the average mileage of drivers in the UK if you were buying a new Diesel car you’d need to keep it a lot longer than the popular three year buying cycle. I think it’s a shame that Petrol cars got tarred with the same brush as Diesels but if it accelerates development of new cleaner technologies then so be it. I just hope the price comes down because current electric cars are too expensive for many buyers.

11/07/2019 13:17:12
Posted by 34046 on 11/07/2019 12:36:41:

Not at all mildly depressed - all in favour.

Our Renault Zoe will save us a 15 mile round trip to the nearest petrol station plus the normal 10 minute wait to fill up.

Bill

Edited By 34046 on 11/07/2019 12:49:59

Yes agreed. I read the other day that the average mileage in the UK is 162 miles per week. I actually do quite a bit less than that. The Tesla Model S has a range of 370 miles per charge.

The latest I read on Diesel exhaust is that it now causes bladder disease. This is on top of Lung and Heart disease and Dementia. Keep petrol a bit longer if absolutely necessary but get rid of Diesel cars as soon as possible.

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
11/07/2019 08:48:00

Looks nice Ron. Unless it’s hiding in the pictures somewhere one of your first mods could be to make a carriage stop.

Thread: Gas Burners?
08/07/2019 11:38:14
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 08/07/2019 11:06:17:

Pete W, and then we wonder why the bees are dying off - never mind, it will be us humans next, but we don't seem to be bothered do we ??

BobH

Agreed Bob. I don’t mind incinerating the drive once in a while to get rid of the weeds, I think I just need a better burner!

Thread: Five Sided Bolt
07/07/2019 23:51:57
Posted by Mike Poole on 07/07/2019 22:23:54:

Tamperproof fasteners are a waste of time, almost within hours of them appearing the tool to fit them will appear online, they may deter a a few people but the determined will not be denied.

Mike

I might normally agree with you but there seem to be more than a few mechanics complaining they can’t get 5 sided sockets for the smart car?

Thread: WM16 Mill
07/07/2019 23:20:08
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 07/07/2019 22:34:14:

Milling-machines are greedy for space!

Yes agreed. What folks need to know is not the size of the machine but the full working envelope. I had some paperwork for my old English Mill and it gave you just that. Sadly this seems to be too difficult to do for some modern suppliers although Grizzly in America make an effort.

Thread: Lack of Quill on Milling Machine
07/07/2019 22:00:05
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 07/07/2019 11:47:01:

The Myford VMC has a quill - rack-and-pinion only, not fine-feed, which would necessitate using the knee. I have the impression quill-fitted mills are the majority.

'

Vic -

" albeit with fairy small travel "

You're lucky your workshop faerie-folk help you. Mine just delight in hiding things.

Yeah, I just noticed that, blinking predictive text and smell checkers! cheeky

07/07/2019 20:22:49

The first time I saw a Torx bolt was on the front brakes of a ford when I was a mechanic. Luckily the Snap-On man managed to get drivers for us within a few weeks. Spline tools for the cam belt jockey took a little longer ...

Thread: One Sided Fastener
07/07/2019 20:18:11
Posted by John Haine on 07/07/2019 12:09:31:

The mounting brackets for the "movable vehicle-activated signs" (a/k/a speed warnings) we use round our villages are fixed to speed limit sign posts using jubilee clips that have a 7-sided socket screw!

Mole grips on the outside of the screw?

Thread: Gas Burners?
07/07/2019 17:30:46

I’ve got the 750mm neck tube. What handle have you got, the standard one or the one with the pilot flame? The pilot flame one looks ideal but I can’t justify the expense for the amount of use it would get. Does your setup with the 2944 burner blow out very often?

07/07/2019 13:51:03

Some years back I bought a long neck tube to use my Sievert torch for weed burning. The only problem was that only my smallest “standard” burners actually fit the stem. The large burners I have only fit the Clarke torch handle I have. I found that whilst the largest of my small burners does the job it often goes out if there is a bit of wind. Can I assume that if I buy a large Sievert burner this won’t happen so often? Also are there any other cheaper burners that will fit their stem and what size to get. You can get what Sievert call a “roofing” burner but for only occasional use it’s a bit pricey at £28. Lastly how many different burner fittings are there? Sorry for so many questions. TIA.

07/07/2019 12:05:12

Apparently they are designed not to be removed. smiley

**LINK**

Edit: Suzuki have also apparently fitted seven sided bolts on some of their bikes!

Edited By Vic on 07/07/2019 12:08:31

Thread: One Sided Fastener
07/07/2019 11:46:37

New to me!

**LINK**

It seems like some other conventional fasteners now also use the five lobe design.

Thread: Lack of Quill on Milling Machine
07/07/2019 10:55:13

Another to add to your list is the Alexander, this is a vertical/horizontal mill with a quill albeit with fairy small travel.

Thread: Jet Washer Nozzle
06/07/2019 22:27:35
Posted by Bazyle on 06/07/2019 21:58:01:

Although the nozzle appears to rotate does it when pulled outwards as it would be when under pressure? Is the hole worn? It will need the angle of the water jet to push it round but as it wears the force may diminish. I am only guessing what it looks like.

I think I read somewhere part of the internals is ceramic. I think it’s probably just worn out. I’ve ordered a new one. This may be why they supply two different nozzles.

06/07/2019 19:22:31

That was the first thing I tried. Also tried 3in1 but that didn’t work either.

06/07/2019 17:04:53

I’ve got a Nilfisk Jet washer that I’ve had for some time and one of the nozzles that came with it no longer works. It has what looks like a brass bead inside that rotates as the water goes through it. In my case though the bead no longer rotates and the water just comes out at a fixed angle. I can still use the machine with the other fixed nozzle but I’m just wondering if anyone has managed to repair one? The bead in the nozzle is not jammed and appears to move freely except when water is going through it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest