By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The last straw!
10/03/2020 18:59:52
Posted by Paul Lousick on 10/03/2020 01:47:28:

The "Golden Arches" hamburger chain has yet to take up the challenge.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 10/03/2020 01:48:55

They switched to paper late last year in Europe.

Thread: I Hate Brass!
08/03/2020 10:26:13

I don’t use brass very often but I had several parts to make from it recently and then recalled how nice it was to machine.

Thread: ER collet chuck/mill incompatibility?
07/03/2020 16:37:26

Looking on eBay most R8 ER25 collet chucks seem to have flats for a spanner although there are one or two without. I’m guessing then that you could machine some flats if the materials not too hard or you have a carbide mill?

Next up may be a suitable spanner. I’ve bought a couple of large ones on eBay by searching for “DIN spanner” and invariably something comes up.

07/03/2020 13:12:34

”It strikes me that if the collet chuck had flats on its shank this problem wouldn't have arisen”

I have a number of ER collet chucks in different sizes and they all have flats. Surprising to see one without.

Thread: Coronavirus
05/03/2020 12:42:29
Posted by V8Eng on 05/03/2020 12:26:10:

Do not worry about toilet paper supplies! As long as Newspapers are obtainable you can tear them into small squares then pierce holes in a corner and hang them on a string from the toilet ceiling.

Sound advice based on my early years on this planet.

Although we don’t normally use it we have a warm water douche next to one of our toilets so we don’t need to get newsprint on our nethers if bum roll supplies run out!

Thread: Hand Wash
04/03/2020 10:54:02

There are very many types of face masks. Some of them are clearly effective or professionals wouldn’t need to use them. I wear one of the filter types in the workshop for a variety of tasks. As for the simple paper type I have to wonder why thousands of them are used by surgical staff every day if they’re of no use?

Thread: Lathes & Mills for Domestic Repairs
03/03/2020 18:52:29

I made a new bushing for the back of a tumble drier cylinder once, luckily I had some Oilon rod in stock. It worked fine for another couple of years until we passed it on following a house move. I also made a spare part for a carpet cleaner.

Thread: Is COMPAC' DIAL GAUGE METRIC TYPE 532 60mm Dia worth 45?
01/03/2020 11:25:56
Posted by Howard Lewis on 29/02/2020 13:01:42:

Comparing the pictures of Austin's and Nicholas's. it looks a sif Austin still has the keeper under his magnetic base.

Yes it does look like the keeper is still in place! cheeky

Thread: WM18 or VMC
01/03/2020 11:22:15

Having used three other knee mills before the purchase of my VMC I’m very pleased with my choice. I much prefer the idea of a fixed head. I generally only use three of the nine available speeds so it only requires slipping one belt to change speeds and this only takes a few seconds.
I’ve got a wood lathe with variable (inverter) speed drive and it’s very useful for minimising vibrations on out of balance work but I can’t see I’d ever need something like this on a mill. The lathe has three pulleys on the belt drive so you still need to slip belts if you want the full range of speeds.

Thread: Is COMPAC' DIAL GAUGE METRIC TYPE 532 60mm Dia worth 45?
29/02/2020 11:18:13

I recently bought just a mag base from Chronos for £11.00 and it’s very nicely made and seems quite powerful.

Thread: DVLA Scam
28/02/2020 18:04:42

I have heard of this scam before. If you continue with the transaction presumably you do get your tax from the DVLA via the scammers? If so are the DVLA are complicit in this?

Thread: Mag Base
28/02/2020 17:54:03

What is best practice for parking a mag base such as those used for DTI’s? Should it be left with the magnet turned off or is it ok to leave it switched on?

Thread: Annealing stainless steel
27/02/2020 17:10:01

I had to drill and mill some slots into some 5mm thick stainless plate. The slots went ok but I let the drill rub on one of the holes. I had to heat part of the plate to cherry red before I could continue to drill it.

Thread: Coal being phased out
27/02/2020 09:53:44

Flying 4.6K miles to lay on a beach in Goa surely doesn’t help much either laugh but “they” seem reluctant to curtail holiday flights. I guess when oil supplies start to get short the various militaries around the world will insist on the end of frivolous flights?

**LINK**

I found this particularly interesting: “new airliner models in the 2000s were barely more efficient on a seat-mile basis than the latest piston-powered airliners of the late-1950s

Thread: John Attlee
24/02/2020 22:55:32

Welcome to the forum John.

Thread: Converting an MT3 Arbor to 3/8th Whitworth Drawbar Thread
24/02/2020 17:33:34

I’m not sure that “There’s no special merit in a M12 drawbar” is true. You can buy metric threaded rod almost anywhere, 3/8” Whitworth on the other hand ... smiley

Thread: Best Milling Machine Ever????
24/02/2020 13:21:07

I’ve always liked the look of the late Aciera F3.

Thread: Four Jaw chuck
24/02/2020 11:15:12

Ok, it seems like I have another job on the list - make a second chuck key!
What do most of you prefer for clocking the piece, DTI or Dial gauge?

23/02/2020 18:32:18

Is not my favourite work holding device but sometimes needs to be used. I often find it such a PITA to set up and today was no different. As the part to be re machined had a hole in it already I hung the work on a suitable rod held in a drill chuck in the tailstock and then carefully tightened the jaws of the four jaw. This got me much closer than I had been and within ten minutes of tweaking I lucked out when the DTI read 0.02mm TIR. As the part was not too critical I accepted this and machined the part. I couldn’t help thinking though, would you four jaw experts out there have generally accepted 0.02mm or would you have tried to get as near to zero as possible?

Thread: Wobbly Kitchenaid Mixer
20/02/2020 10:14:21

This is interesting as I’ve started using my Artisan again regularly to mix Pizza dough. I’ll keep an eye on that pin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest