By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Kant Twist alternative?
25/12/2021 13:34:20

Once you have a suitable search term - Parallelzwinge, it opens up all possibilities!

**LINK**

25/12/2021 12:45:10

Nice job Jason. I think I prefer Bernard’s design though as it looks likely to be more rigid. I only lost some of the angles on mine to make it easier to cut out.

If anyone can get the arms water or laser cut at a good price I’d be interested in a couple. Probably 2” or 3”.

25/12/2021 10:45:44

Another view in case it helps others contemplating making one.

24/12/2021 21:16:53

Sadly the only drawing I’ve got is a sketch in Open Office so not much good for anything other than hand layout.

24/12/2021 17:51:08

Finished. I won’t be making any more unless I find I really need them and I can get the plates water jet cut!

Mostly stainless with some brass and alloy. Using hex bar for the bosses proved to be a good call.

Thread: Grinding/making narrow grooving tools in HSS
23/12/2021 11:45:39

I don’t have any fancy grinding fixtures so the last time I wanted to shape a small HSS tool bit I did it on my mill with a carbide cutter.

Thread: Generating a Burr
22/12/2021 15:13:58

I was careful to use the word often, as some folks still use them for bowl turning. wink

Indeed, I understand they were the mainstay until bowl gouges appeared about 40 years ago. If you’re interested look out for Robbo Hippy turning a bowl with just a scraper on YouTube and note the shavings!

22/12/2021 14:21:53
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 22/12/2021 13:21:53:

Sorry I can’t really offer any useful comment, Vic.

MichaelG.

That’s not like you Michael, apology accepted! laugh

The burr doesn’t last long but on something like a scraper it’s often only used for finishing cuts.

22/12/2021 12:36:27

Look away now if you find cutting that softer brown stuff distressing! laugh

I sometimes use a wood turning lathe and some of the tools, particularly scrapers, cut by generating a burr on the tool when you sharpen it. It’s perhaps somewhat counter intuitive but both grindstones and belts generate this burr even though they are running downwards towards the tool. There are some sharpening options though that run in the opposite direction and I wondered if this would increase or reduce the potential to produce a burr? I could have asked this question on a wood turning forum but I suspect I may not have got any useful comments.

Thread: How fast is fast enough
22/12/2021 12:05:04
Posted by Ian Newman 1 on 21/12/2021 02:56:02:

Hi,

It is interesting to read the views of people who find rate of removal of material an important issue (or at least a consideration).

As I stated in my earlier post, I do not consider a slow rate of material removal to be significant - I am not in the business of making large production runs, I make models as a hobby, as relaxation and entertainment. Consequentially, almost everything I do is a "one off" and so I find I spend a relatively small percentage of my time actually machining.

When considering milling jobs, I would estimate I only spend about 10% of my time actually cutting material. The other 90% is spent on the following tasks (in decreasing order of percentage time consumed):

1) Making/reading drawings and thinking about how I'm going to do the job

2) Setting up the job on the machine

3) Marking out

4) Digging out the required material and tooling

5) Cleaning up and putting stuff away

A further issue for me is that I frequently find I need to make some sort of custom jigs/fixture to hold the part I actually want to work on. Designing and making such items can often take longer than making the part I actually want....

Given all of the above, being able to remove metal at twice my normal rate would have minimal impact on my overall 'production rate'

All the best,

Ian

I concur Ian. Like you I’m a model engineer removing metal for fun, not for profit. The top speed on my VMC is 2150 rpm but I’ve never run it at that speed.

Thread: Sets of parallels
16/12/2021 11:51:03

I ended up with quite a number of pieces of ground flat stock which I simply cut to length. Using two pieces from the same bar has worked for me. I just left them soft.

Thread: (again) buying new European made lathe
15/12/2021 12:05:38

Lots of German stuff is no longer made there. Some Mercedes are made in China.

Thread: Shortening Screws
13/12/2021 13:35:03
Posted by Thor 🇳🇴 on 13/12/2021 11:29:23:

I use my home-made Lantern chuck, works well and I can clean up the thread using a tailstock die-holder.

Thor

Thanks for that Thor. It’s a much simpler design than others I’ve seen so I may make something similar.

13/12/2021 10:48:37

What method do you use? I ask as I’ve recently seen a Lantern Chuck again. I’ve never used or much like the idea of a screw plate. I prefer using the lathe. I currently use some little plugs tapped to size and held in a collet Chuck. I just wondered what other methods folks use?

Thread: What do you use for heat treatment?
12/12/2021 11:34:39

I’ve read that domestic ovens can be used for tempering but not tried it. Is this correct? Not sure how high my oven goes but I’m not sure it’s much above 220° - 240°C?

I’ve just used a gas torch for hardening stuff like O1.

Thread: Lathe tool size
11/12/2021 21:59:43

These work well and have built in height adjustment.

**LINK**

Thread: Volkswagen
11/12/2021 15:17:30

There have been rumours about him going to work for Tesla.

11/12/2021 11:26:44

Back to Volkswagen, I recently read that they are in debt to the tune of a $192 Billion. More than South Africa it said,

Thread: Free Cutting Mild Steel Flat
10/12/2021 17:49:13

Is there a machinability index for common stainless steels? Good links by the way Thor. wink

Thread: Digital Caliper - again, sorry
10/12/2021 17:42:59

My main calliper is a Mitutoyo that’s over 30 years old. I usually leave a Lidl £10 job in the workshop but the last one failed and I haven’t seen any in Lidl lately.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest