By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Buying online delivery problems.
27/03/2020 09:39:39

Yes I’m still getting deliveries of a wide range of stuff.

Thread: Whatyadoin?
26/03/2020 17:16:04

I frequent a number of online forums as I’m sure many of you do and at this particular time I would have expected a bit more traffic on them? I expect some of you have increased time in the workshop but wondering what else you’re doing.

Thread: Thread heading looking weird
26/03/2020 16:51:19

Fine on Safari.

Thread: EMI from electric shavers etc
26/03/2020 12:35:40

A couple of my friends are wood turners and both have fungus. The general advice is don’t bother with a face mask as the dust gets past. As a result one of them has bought an air fed face shield.

26/03/2020 10:28:13

Too simplistic perhaps but why not just wet shave, millions of us do it?

Thread: What to use for New Worktop?
20/03/2020 10:01:27

Where I used to work I bought Lino topped work benches for my print department and they proved to be very good. When it came to setting up my latest workshop I decided on two pieces of 18mm ply glued and screwed together and then topped with some nice grey Lino. Given the choice I wouldn’t hesitate to do this again. If I had the space for it I would like a steel topped bench as well - say 1/4” plate but I don’t have the space.

Thread: Virus Alert Levels
19/03/2020 16:09:12

Another big like here too!

Thread: Does Silver Steel normally look like this?
19/03/2020 16:06:48

You learn something every day. I always thought silver steel was round stock as a matter of course. If I wanted something better than say mild, in square or rectangular I’ve always bought stuff sold GFS, Gauge Plate or 01 steel.

Thread: Vaccum for a milling machine.
18/03/2020 18:39:26

Some of the stuff I see on YouTube is really quite worrying at times. The Americans do have a penchants for blowing stuff away with compressed air guns - it’s much more fun than hoovering it up. I saw one guy blowing a cloud of wood dust out of his shop into the yard, no doubt for the benefit of anyone walking past. They seem to wear gloves for absolutely everything as well for some reason.

18/03/2020 14:16:21

I use a Nilfisk wet and dry vac on my milling machine all the time. Blowing stuff around with compressed air was frowned upon at my last place. It’s an excellent way of forcing dust and swarf into places it wouldn’t normally reach and isn’t clever from a H&S aspect either. There was still one idiot that used to use one, including blowing his own clothes down with it at the end of the day.

Thread: Coronavirus
17/03/2020 10:48:20
Posted by Ady1 on 17/03/2020 10:35:18:

We were getting pretty hedonistic anyway IMO, huge quantities of wasted scarce resources on stuff we didn't need

Coronavirus: Bad for man but good for the planet

Apparently pollution has already dropped considerably in some places.

Thread: The last straw!
10/03/2020 18:59:52
Posted by Paul Lousick on 10/03/2020 01:47:28:

The "Golden Arches" hamburger chain has yet to take up the challenge.

Paul

Edited By Paul Lousick on 10/03/2020 01:48:55

They switched to paper late last year in Europe.

Thread: I Hate Brass!
08/03/2020 10:26:13

I don’t use brass very often but I had several parts to make from it recently and then recalled how nice it was to machine.

Thread: ER collet chuck/mill incompatibility?
07/03/2020 16:37:26

Looking on eBay most R8 ER25 collet chucks seem to have flats for a spanner although there are one or two without. I’m guessing then that you could machine some flats if the materials not too hard or you have a carbide mill?

Next up may be a suitable spanner. I’ve bought a couple of large ones on eBay by searching for “DIN spanner” and invariably something comes up.

07/03/2020 13:12:34

”It strikes me that if the collet chuck had flats on its shank this problem wouldn't have arisen”

I have a number of ER collet chucks in different sizes and they all have flats. Surprising to see one without.

Thread: Coronavirus
05/03/2020 12:42:29
Posted by V8Eng on 05/03/2020 12:26:10:

Do not worry about toilet paper supplies! As long as Newspapers are obtainable you can tear them into small squares then pierce holes in a corner and hang them on a string from the toilet ceiling.

Sound advice based on my early years on this planet.

Although we don’t normally use it we have a warm water douche next to one of our toilets so we don’t need to get newsprint on our nethers if bum roll supplies run out!

Thread: Hand Wash
04/03/2020 10:54:02

There are very many types of face masks. Some of them are clearly effective or professionals wouldn’t need to use them. I wear one of the filter types in the workshop for a variety of tasks. As for the simple paper type I have to wonder why thousands of them are used by surgical staff every day if they’re of no use?

Thread: Lathes & Mills for Domestic Repairs
03/03/2020 18:52:29

I made a new bushing for the back of a tumble drier cylinder once, luckily I had some Oilon rod in stock. It worked fine for another couple of years until we passed it on following a house move. I also made a spare part for a carpet cleaner.

Thread: Is COMPAC' DIAL GAUGE METRIC TYPE 532 60mm Dia worth 45?
01/03/2020 11:25:56
Posted by Howard Lewis on 29/02/2020 13:01:42:

Comparing the pictures of Austin's and Nicholas's. it looks a sif Austin still has the keeper under his magnetic base.

Yes it does look like the keeper is still in place! cheeky

Thread: WM18 or VMC
01/03/2020 11:22:15

Having used three other knee mills before the purchase of my VMC I’m very pleased with my choice. I much prefer the idea of a fixed head. I generally only use three of the nine available speeds so it only requires slipping one belt to change speeds and this only takes a few seconds.
I’ve got a wood lathe with variable (inverter) speed drive and it’s very useful for minimising vibrations on out of balance work but I can’t see I’d ever need something like this on a mill. The lathe has three pulleys on the belt drive so you still need to slip belts if you want the full range of speeds.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest