By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
09/05/2020 10:38:16
Posted by Howard Lewis on 08/05/2020 18:47:23:

Oh how I envy all you organised people!

Fitted over the hinged flat cover over the Headstock of my lathe is a plywood "shelf" with raised edges. The Chuck Key, when not in use, lives there along with spare Chuck Jaws, Micrometer Stop and a load of other things.

And before anyone says it; Yes I am aware of, and guard against, the danger of stuff falling onto the chuck guard or the bed!

Howard

I used to use a lovely long bed Harrison M300 at work and that had a rubber lined “tray” built into the headstock. There wasn’t much kept on it but nothing ever fell off.

08/05/2020 14:12:16

Mine goes on a magnet on the head stock, specifically the belt cover.

Thread: Use of Torx Bits in Hex Skt Hd Screws
08/05/2020 12:15:49
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 07/05/2020 14:29:50:

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like it's just a hex key with shiny corners, not a Torx bit, and they are ordinary hex-recess cap screws?

Regards,

Rob

Yes, I had a quick look and it was as you say, an ordinary hex bolt and driver, the driver just had shiny corners.

Thread: Motor Reverse
07/05/2020 23:25:50

Yes that does help Anthony, thank you. I’ve never heard a centrifugal switch clicking in or out but the running abrasive belt is quite noisy. When I get a minute I will remove the drive belt and listen out for the click.

I’ve actually got that book Duncan. The last time I looked at it though it seemed heavy going but I’ll have another look if I can identify what type of motor I have. It’s a real shame it doesn’t have a motor plate or a proper terminal box like the other motors I’ve dealt with.

Thinking back I’ve already replaced the capacitor and the NVR on this machine.

I’ve also in the past swapped a few leads and added a capacitor and switch on a three phase motor on an old mill I had to run it on single phase. I made a diagram for reference, it’s in my V1 album.

06/05/2020 22:15:12

As seen in the picture there are Five wires going into the motor, the two Red wires, one Earth and I assume a Live and Neutral (black wire) going to the NVR. I’m not keen on taking the motor apart. To be clear I want to be able to run it in either direction at the flick of a switch. The disc is held on with four screws so can’t unscrew.

Edited By Vic on 06/05/2020 22:16:36

Thread: Use of Torx Bits in Hex Skt Hd Screws
06/05/2020 16:02:42

You can buy Torx cap head screws, are you sure it wasn’t one of those rather than a Hex drive?

Thread: Motor Reverse
06/05/2020 15:59:29

This is the motor end.

fa552433-e779-4c6a-ab17-cd582738d3ef.jpeg

06/05/2020 15:56:29

Sadly there’s no motor plate. The black cable on the left goes to the plug and the NVR switch, the blue cable with the N and L leads connects to two Red wires on the motor and the Capacitor. The other black wire goes between the NVR and the motor. There is no connection box on the motor that you often get.

8a60a189-ec03-4d50-90c4-e1809e4964df.jpeg

06/05/2020 14:42:03

Scarfed joints are the old way of joining belts where they overlap. The modern butt jointed belts are much better and you don’t get the “thump, thump, as the belt goes round. If you’ve ever used both types the difference is obvious.

06/05/2020 13:57:01

I’ll see how much of a job it is to expose the motor as I don’t want to have to do it twice. NDIY, I sometimes make my own belts and even with the bought ones it seems to make little difference which way they are run. Having said that I don’t use the old scarfed jointed belts which can only be run in one direction.

06/05/2020 13:05:24

I have a Record Power BDS250 belt and disc sander that gets used among other things for tool sharpening. There are times that I feel it would be useful if I could reverse the direction of rotation. I’m aware, or rather have been told that some motors cannot be reversed? Can you tell fairly easily by looking at the motor? I’d like to fit a reversing switch if I can.

Its either this or buy a new reversible belt grinder but it’s best part of £500.

Edited By Vic on 06/05/2020 13:14:40

Thread: New member in Northants
04/05/2020 22:26:08

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Thread: New member in Switzerland
04/05/2020 22:25:05

Welcome to the forum Mark.

Thread: Hello
04/05/2020 22:24:19

Welcome to the forum James. smiley

Thread: Which Mill
04/05/2020 11:01:51
Posted by norm norton on 04/05/2020 10:20:47:

Mass is a good thing in milling machine.

Norm.

Agreed. Some of the small machines seem to have the envelope folks want but they just don’t have the mass. This is why some choose Mill Drills. They are much more heavily built but sadly they have their own issues. I went way over budget and bought a VMC and I’m so glad I did.

Thread: VMC or 626 in bite size bits
04/05/2020 10:52:18

I forgot to say, but one of the reasons I chose the VMC is because I knew it could easily be split into bits for house moves! smiley

04/05/2020 10:49:31

When I moved house six years ago I bought an engine hoist. I removed the head of my VMC and fixed it to one dolley, then removed the column complete from the base and bolted that to another dolley. Sadly we have a gravel drive that extends right the length of the house to the workshop but the removal guys managed ok.
Now is the time to make detailed drawings of the collar at the top of the column in case you want to make a spacer to extend your Z. I so wish Warco made these as an accessory. My lathe is too small to make my own. Some went bonkers and made 6-8” ones (and found the Z lead screw was now too short) but I really don’t need anything more than 3-4”.

Thread: Tuning up my Versatile Vice
02/05/2020 19:02:30

I bought a Soba vice for my VMC and had heard of folks milling a slot to aid location. I really didn’t fancy doing this though for two reasons. A, it may weaken the base of the vice and B, what if I mucked it up and milled the slot badly. In the end I milled a piece of steel to be a tight fit for the Tee slots in the table, tapped it into place then clamped the vice upside down to it. Unlike some vices the clamping points on the vice are holes, not slots so I carefully clocked them and to my surprise found they were spot on with the jaws. As the slots in my mill and the holes in the vice are of slightly different diameters I turned a pair of stepped collars that are a tight fit in the vice and snug on the mill. When mounting the vice on the mill it’s never more than about half a thou out, if that. I know that if I’m in a hurry after replacing the vice I can use it as is but often clock it anyway.

Thread: Thread Lock
02/05/2020 18:43:22

Thanks for that Clive, very helpful. wink

02/05/2020 16:19:10

I’ve found this, it’s all in the search term. We call it thread lock but on bikes it’s Threadlocker!

**LINK**

Seems like the blue stuff is appropriate for most jobs on a bike that require it.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest