By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How are your clubs responding to Coronavirus
19/05/2020 09:57:36

My local Woodturning club has cancelled all meetings until further notice. They do have a website though and have invited members to submit pictures of what they’re currently working on wood turning related. There is also an online competition currently running although it only has about a dozen entries so far.

Thread: Macro-photography
16/05/2020 12:11:33

I’ve long had an interest in Macro photography. I’ve got a 90mm Macro lens for my old DSLR but things have moved on in recent years. These days Focus merging, stacking or bracketing can produce some stunning macro shots that make “single” shots look pretty poor in comparison. There are several camera makes that offer this facility as one of their settings. Olympus seem to be the most advanced at this. You can get the same result with old cameras by taking several shots in manual focus and then merging the shots with software.

Thread: Magnifying Glasses
13/05/2020 23:21:39

Item number 174061561783 on the auction site. Have any of you tried them?

Thread: Carbide Insert Designations & Suppliers
11/05/2020 14:27:31

I’ve got quite a few RCGT06 inserts so I made a holder for them for my flycutter and they work very nicely on Aluminium Alloy.

10/05/2020 18:48:50
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/05/2020 10:21:14:

surprise ... How do you get it to give that straight-line finish ?

MichaelG. angel

On the assumption that you’re being serious. smiley You hold the part on some fine abrasive and hold it down tightly and push it along carefully in one direction. It gives a “brushed” effect. The only problem is that it’s quite easy to round the extreme edges of the part, this looks to be the case on one of the edges in the picture. I finished some parts like this a few weeks back.

Thread: What's this?
10/05/2020 18:15:06

It’s a very good example of what I try to avoid when making anything. Having to have a whole bunch of different tools to make adjustments because I didn’t use the same size fasteners! I built something quite complex using a lot of different parts many years ago and gave this a good deal of thought. Whilst I had to use M3, M4, M5 and M8 bolts, all the stuff that might need adjustment used M5 cap head socket screws.

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
09/05/2020 10:38:16
Posted by Howard Lewis on 08/05/2020 18:47:23:

Oh how I envy all you organised people!

Fitted over the hinged flat cover over the Headstock of my lathe is a plywood "shelf" with raised edges. The Chuck Key, when not in use, lives there along with spare Chuck Jaws, Micrometer Stop and a load of other things.

And before anyone says it; Yes I am aware of, and guard against, the danger of stuff falling onto the chuck guard or the bed!

Howard

I used to use a lovely long bed Harrison M300 at work and that had a rubber lined “tray” built into the headstock. There wasn’t much kept on it but nothing ever fell off.

08/05/2020 14:12:16

Mine goes on a magnet on the head stock, specifically the belt cover.

Thread: Use of Torx Bits in Hex Skt Hd Screws
08/05/2020 12:15:49
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 07/05/2020 14:29:50:

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like it's just a hex key with shiny corners, not a Torx bit, and they are ordinary hex-recess cap screws?

Regards,

Rob

Yes, I had a quick look and it was as you say, an ordinary hex bolt and driver, the driver just had shiny corners.

Thread: Motor Reverse
07/05/2020 23:25:50

Yes that does help Anthony, thank you. I’ve never heard a centrifugal switch clicking in or out but the running abrasive belt is quite noisy. When I get a minute I will remove the drive belt and listen out for the click.

I’ve actually got that book Duncan. The last time I looked at it though it seemed heavy going but I’ll have another look if I can identify what type of motor I have. It’s a real shame it doesn’t have a motor plate or a proper terminal box like the other motors I’ve dealt with.

Thinking back I’ve already replaced the capacitor and the NVR on this machine.

I’ve also in the past swapped a few leads and added a capacitor and switch on a three phase motor on an old mill I had to run it on single phase. I made a diagram for reference, it’s in my V1 album.

06/05/2020 22:15:12

As seen in the picture there are Five wires going into the motor, the two Red wires, one Earth and I assume a Live and Neutral (black wire) going to the NVR. I’m not keen on taking the motor apart. To be clear I want to be able to run it in either direction at the flick of a switch. The disc is held on with four screws so can’t unscrew.

Edited By Vic on 06/05/2020 22:16:36

Thread: Use of Torx Bits in Hex Skt Hd Screws
06/05/2020 16:02:42

You can buy Torx cap head screws, are you sure it wasn’t one of those rather than a Hex drive?

Thread: Motor Reverse
06/05/2020 15:59:29

This is the motor end.

fa552433-e779-4c6a-ab17-cd582738d3ef.jpeg

06/05/2020 15:56:29

Sadly there’s no motor plate. The black cable on the left goes to the plug and the NVR switch, the blue cable with the N and L leads connects to two Red wires on the motor and the Capacitor. The other black wire goes between the NVR and the motor. There is no connection box on the motor that you often get.

8a60a189-ec03-4d50-90c4-e1809e4964df.jpeg

06/05/2020 14:42:03

Scarfed joints are the old way of joining belts where they overlap. The modern butt jointed belts are much better and you don’t get the “thump, thump, as the belt goes round. If you’ve ever used both types the difference is obvious.

06/05/2020 13:57:01

I’ll see how much of a job it is to expose the motor as I don’t want to have to do it twice. NDIY, I sometimes make my own belts and even with the bought ones it seems to make little difference which way they are run. Having said that I don’t use the old scarfed jointed belts which can only be run in one direction.

06/05/2020 13:05:24

I have a Record Power BDS250 belt and disc sander that gets used among other things for tool sharpening. There are times that I feel it would be useful if I could reverse the direction of rotation. I’m aware, or rather have been told that some motors cannot be reversed? Can you tell fairly easily by looking at the motor? I’d like to fit a reversing switch if I can.

Its either this or buy a new reversible belt grinder but it’s best part of £500.

Edited By Vic on 06/05/2020 13:14:40

Thread: New member in Northants
04/05/2020 22:26:08

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Thread: New member in Switzerland
04/05/2020 22:25:05

Welcome to the forum Mark.

Thread: Hello
04/05/2020 22:24:19

Welcome to the forum James. smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest