By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Vic

Here is a list of all the postings Vic has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
27/09/2019 12:36:41

There is another option, it may never have had a ball in the first place. I’ve just been out to the garage to check and one of my Snap-On 6” extensions doesn’t have a ball but instead has a rounded pin. It has the same looking plug on the back. Similar to this:

https://apexbits.com/index.aspx/ImageGallery/Index?productId=3437

Edited By Vic on 27/09/2019 12:39:42

27/09/2019 12:14:52

Whilst I agree that the common method of fitting these detent balls is into a blind hole followed by peening that may not be the case here. What is assumed to be a repair plug may in fact be original? Could not the plug be pushed out, a suitable ball and spring fitted and the plug pushed back in? This does of course assume that the face of the hole doesn’t need some kind of remedial work.

Thread: Jacobs JT2S taper
26/09/2019 18:20:27

Thanks Clive. I won’t be going to Japan to get an Arbor! laugh

It still begs the question, why do manufacturers make chucks you can’t get the correct arbor for.

26/09/2019 16:19:42

What’s the point of the JT2 S (short) taper? One of my chucks has it but I can’t find anyone that actually makes an arbor for it! Even Jacobs themselves don’t seem to make one. Yes I know a JT2 fits but it’s not very elegant and wastes space.

Thread: M&W rules now better...
26/09/2019 16:15:39

Yes I’m not very fond of the 1/2 mm markings either. I have a rule like that Pete, excellent tool.

I do quite like the Japanese 6” flexible rules when I can find one. I think the Cats have run off with one of mine so I’ve had to order another! laugh

Thread: Water in fuel
26/09/2019 12:53:36

I’m not sure old cars are really going to be a problem anyway as I’m sure they are going to be banned from our roads altogether in the not too distant future.

Thread: Chuck
25/09/2019 20:15:17

If you require really high accuracy you’ll need to pay for it. These look good at £60 a collet! laugh

**LINK**

Thread: Spring Tapping Guide
25/09/2019 15:23:27

I’ve just checked and there is a 30mm difference between my Albrecht 16mm and Rohm 10mm. It doesn’t sound much but can make the difference with some jobs.

Thread: Work holding?
25/09/2019 14:22:02

See above, the jobs already finished.

25/09/2019 14:19:41

Many years ago I think the Post Office tried some kind of water injection system on their vehicles? I think they gave up after a while as there were no real benefits.

Thread: How many Hammers
25/09/2019 10:03:11

I do like the look of the Japanese Genno.

- Hammer -

24/09/2019 21:46:45

NDIY, the Z space on my mill can be limiting so it sometimes helps to use the smallest Chuck I have. There are other ways round it like using a collet direct in the spindle but for most jobs it’s more convenient to keep the chuck in the quill.

24/09/2019 20:23:28

I thought Robert gave you the answer RMA. Just add some Isopropyl Alcohol? wink

Thread: How many Hammers
24/09/2019 20:16:47

Ah there you go, I forgot the copper and hide that lives on the milling machine. Well done Brian!

24/09/2019 19:17:03

Have you got? I was once told that a “good” mechanic has lots of hammers! laugh

I’ve just had a tool tidy and counted over 20. Plus a few more in the house and I got up to 27 and probably forgot another couple hiding somewhere. Not sure how I collected that many. I know I bought a couple because they looked nice and I’d still like one of those Japanese jobbies.

Thread: Why are washers such a poor fit?
24/09/2019 19:06:07
Posted by speelwerk on 24/09/2019 18:57:59:

Well they are dual use and a perfect fit for a 1/4 inch. Niko.

Hhm, still a bit big even for a quarter inch! laugh I like your thinking though.

24/09/2019 19:03:25

The Isopropyl Alcohol idea is interesting. I’m sure I read somewhere that a small amount added to petrol can improve the MPG of cars but never seen it confirmed.

24/09/2019 18:58:26
Posted by Trevor Drabble on 14/09/2019 11:06:25:

Vic , Are the ones from Arceuro not suitable ?

Trevor.

Edited By Trevor Drabble on 14/09/2019 11:07:22

Not sure. I did buy a commercial one once but it was so wobbly I had to ream the hole and make new innards to make it usable.

I’ve now made a 10mm shaft version so all sorted.

I have in the past resorted to just using a pointed length of steel in the chuck but not being spring loaded is less convenient.

As for turning down a 1/2” model, I doubt there’s enough material on the ones I have. One in particular has a 10mm grub screw in the back.

Thread: Work holding?
24/09/2019 18:52:31

The jobs done now. It seemed quicker and easier to waste the 10mm or so for holding. The three jaw chuck was a surprise though as clocking it revealed it was only 2 thou out, less than expected. Onto the next project.

Thread: Why are washers such a poor fit?
24/09/2019 18:47:16

I’m sure someone knows the answer. I’ve long wondered. As an example I bought some M6 screws the other day and the major diameter is 5.84. A quick measure of some M6 washers bought at the same reveals an ID of 6.5. I’m guessing it must be something to do with preventing vibration from loosening the fastener or something. Poor show really though as it looks crap!? cheeky

When I made some thick washers for my milling vice bolts though I made them the proper size and the nuts have never come loose. wink

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest